Forza Horizon 5: General Discussion

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 18,955 comments
Everyone has varying levels of skill and I would've thought a Series S at 1080p60 would be able to handle it easily but I could be wrong.
I’ve been playing racing and driving games for more than 40 years. From old classic cabinet games at the arcade at the local mall in the late ‘70s/early ‘80s, to Out Run and its many knock-offs, Sega Rally, Daytona USA, Driver, Gran Turismo 1-6, Forza Motorsport 2-7, every Horizon, and dozens of others in between. I thought I was fast. Like wicked fast. And then came online racing and I learned the truth. I wasn’t fast. I wasn’t even mid-pack. I was a backmarker. I’ve improved. Turned off most of the electronic nannies. Practiced better racecraft. I now regularly finish in the top five in online racing in Horizon. I even get wins on a fairly regular basis. But I’ll never be as fast as I once thought I was.

I’ve been playing racing and driving games for more than 40 years. From old classic cabinet games at the arcade at the local mall in the late ‘70s/early ‘80s, to Out Run and its many knock-offs, Sega Rally, Daytona USA, Driver, Gran Turismo 1-6, Forza Motorsport 2-7, every Horizon, and dozens of others in between. I thought I was fast. Like wicked fast. And then came online racing and I learned the truth. I wasn’t fast. I wasn’t even mid-pack. I was a backmarker. I’ve improved. Turned off most of the electronic nannies. Practiced better racecraft. I now regularly finish in the top five in online racing in Horizon. I even get wins on a fairly regular basis. But I’ll never be as fast as I once thought I was.
Having fun > being fast.

I didn't mean it as a knock on anyone's abilities. It's just that so much of the game seems to be placed within the casual comfort zone that the occasional challenge tends to stand out a little. Not that there's anything wrong with that when they give us multiple gameplay paths to achieve those forty points.

Not to make a direct connection between DLC and success, but I nailed the speed trap without breaking much of a sweat in a (marginally) upgraded Lamborghini Essenza after a couple failed attempts with a couple other cars. I mean, hey, if I paid for it, might as well have fun with it.
I used the DLC too- the 296 for the speed trap and danger sign (got those just barely though) and the Huayra R for the speed zone (which was easier than the other two). Given that I’ve just started a couple days ago, DLC probably was my best bet without having to fork over money at the autoshow.

But I’ll never be as fast as I once thought I was.

And I can't stress it enough, that is okay. It is okay to not be the greatest driver or even a fast one.

Yesterday, I bought the game for a friend as it was on sale, and we proceeded to play together alongside another old buddy of mine. I first want to say it is genuinely amazing that three people from 3 corners of the planet can actually play Horizon 5 together without significant issues. (France, Indiana, Argentina, respectively.)

What happened was magical. I watched that friend just... Marvel at everything, want to race everything, and asking me to tune cars for them so we could keep on racing. (We ended up doing six races in a row in a C class Willys Jeep tuned by yours truly). Yes, that friend bailed, spun out, crashed, couldn't make it up mountains to get to a Barn Find, and had pretty much every racing mistake imaginable. But we also essentially road tripped (no fast travel yet for them, so we had to), went places, hooned around, and had an all-around good time.

If I had any doubts about FH5 before - and I will admit there are times it feels hard to keep going, especially when you keep losing online... they evaporated INSTANTLY last night. Besides making a friend happy I had a big 500cc of FUN directly in my veins, because they had the right mindset, so me and my other friends just couldn't help but grin and smile too.

Fast or not fast didn't really matter last night. We just raced around. It's what this is all about. Now that I'm back ingame and doing the playlist on my own, I remind myself of that; that this is what it's all about. I race because going fast is fun, not because I want to see 1ST on the screen every time. And sometimes I just don't race. I just drive, usually to my music playlists.

Do I want the average player to get better at driving? Of course. Should there be room to race "seriously" with a little more emphasis on racing fair and clean? Of course. But it should still be fun and honestly, genuinely, Horizon has always nailed that part.

Last edited:
I struggled with the speed trap challenge. I tried a dozen different Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and Paganis. My problem was the double left-hander leading to the straight. If I wasn’t losing time because of too much oversteer or understeer, then I was simply too slow. I finally built an FXX K up to 984 and bypassed the corners by starting in the grass south of the two corners so it was much more of a straight shot to the speed trap. Doing that got me a 182.65 (and probably a reprimand about track limits).
Do what I did and creatively cheat. At the end of the straight leading from the speed camera up hill break the Armco barrier and line your run up at the camera from way back on the grass. Works a treat.😉

If I had any doubts about FH5 before - and I will admit there are times it feels hard to keep going, especially when you keep losing online... they evaporated INSTANTLY last night.
It's easy to forget how utterly smile-inducing FH5 can be when you are just having fun with zero pressure.

The weekly playlist or online racing is nice to have, but every now and then you need to open the garage, grab something unusual and just go driving/racing with it to enjoy it.

Horizon games are first and foremost about enjoying cars, after all.

Last edited:
Do what I did and creatively cheat. At the end of the straight leading from the speed camera up hill break the Armco barrier and line your run up at the camera from way back on the grass. Works a treat.😉
I was probably less than clear, but that’s exactly what I did.

For me, the real question for this week’s Forzathon playlist isn’t the best way to beat the speedtrap challenge. It’s do I gift the second Alfa GTA, or keep it and build one road racer and one rally racer?

Above around 850 PI is indeed too fast on the road, but I've been really enjoying lapping the Horizon Mexico Circuit in faster cars recently. It's very interesting to take all these stock supercars and hypercars and see how well FH5 can reproduce their behaviour.

I was probably less than clear, but that’s exactly what I did.

For me, the real question for this week’s Forzathon playlist isn’t the best way to beat the speedtrap challenge. It’s do I gift the second Alfa GTA, or keep it and build one road racer and one rally racer?
Ah my bad bud sorry. I've just reread your post and it's me being daft. You were crystal clear and I fell victim of my 2 second memory lol.

I gifted my Alfa GTA to a new player. I thought let them enjoy the beauty of the car. I can afford to buy another if I want to.

Last edited:
I used Aventador for speedtrap.
This car is probably one of the best non-DLC cars for speedtrap of this season.
The overwhelming horsepower V12, and grip provided by the wide body kit easily surpassed the target speeds. (290-300kmh can be easily reached)
It's a big part of why I generally dislike S1-S2 cars, they're too fast to be enjoyable outside of racing.
And it's also a class where their cheats get more intense when racing against AI...

Last edited:
I did something unusual to pass the speed trap; after struggling to beat 175mph, I got my Sesto Elemento FE out, maxed out the downforce to spin around the double left hander as quickly as possible, then paused the game, set the downforce to minimum, unpaused, changed into 6th and hit the gas - got 183 in the end.

I did something unusual to pass the speed trap; after struggling to beat 175mph, I got my Sesto Elemento FE out, maxed out the downforce to spin around the double left hander as quickly as possible, then paused the game, set the downforce to minimum, unpaused, changed into 6th and hit the gas - got 183 in the end.
I use this trick a lot on danger signs.😂

I spent a good 75-90 minutes on and off trying to buy Alfa 155s on the AH this evening. Managed to snag two, but got pipped to at least 15 others. Ideally, I'll bag another, and 4 should suffice.

My 1200hp 4wd 599XX had no issues with either of the PR stunts this week, though to be fair I did the speed zone with the Essenza which is strangely becoming one of my favorite cars in the game.
I used the SVJ and Divo for the hot wheels speed trap.

I’ve been playing racing and driving games for more than 40 years...

But I’ll never be as fast as I once thought I was.
I bet we're in the same boat here. I think it was the late 70s when I discovered Night Driver as a kid while on a family vacation. I know I'm the best racing driver in the world - though that world only exists in my head. The reality? There's a reason why I rename my drivers "Rex Kharz" in most of my games. 😆

I didn’t even know that was a thing you could do. But also, isn’t the Sesto FE X999? Did you detune it to S2?

I didn’t even know that was a thing you could do. But also, isn’t the Sesto FE X999? Did you detune it to S2?

I put Race dirt tyres on it, front and rear aero and something else to bring it back to 998. It's got so much grip on tarmac even with the tyres, there's no issue.

Last edited:
0ab12128-1fe9-4c2f-8155-c3bd680ad822.jpg

3cd69e20-8b66-4b7c-b28c-120209d2a601.jpg

Now, about the twin GT wings that we can use in FH5...
I'm surprised that such tuning existed in the real world.

D-wing-1810.png

D-wing-AI3I9917.png

Source: Web Option (*Japanese article)
This Supra is not a ricer, it's a seriously time-attack car.
And this twin GT wing seems to be the result of prioritizing the function to obtain higher downforce for grip, but I really surprise such a strange rear spoiler existed in the real world.

Last edited:
When you think you know the game but then realise you actually know nothing :lol:

Yesterday I started running through the Rally DLC in the Delta Evo in a nice Martini livery from the list.

@Edax 76 your 700pp tune for the car is top banana! 🍌👏

When you think you know the game but then realise you actually know nothing :lol:

Yesterday I started running through the Rally DLC in the Delta Evo in a nice Martini livery from the list.

@Edax 76 your 700pp tune for the car is top banana! 🍌👏
Cheers bud, I really appreciate that 👍👍. Thank you.

Forza active aero: Stopping time, getting out of your car, adjusting your wing and aero kit, getting back in the car, unpausing time.

View attachment 1281590
View attachment 1281591

Now, about the twin GT wings that we can use in FH5...
I'm surprised that such tuning existed in the real world.

View attachment 1281592
View attachment 1281593
Source: Web Option (*Japanese article)
This Supra is not a ricer, it's a seriously time-attack car.
And this twin GT wing seems to be the result of prioritizing the function to obtain higher downforce for grip, but I really surprise such a strange rear spoiler existed in the real world.
cue Xzibit

"Yo dawg, I heard you like rear wings, so we put another one on top of an existing one, so you can have even more downforce when your car actually has downforce." (Say goodbye to straight-line speed though.)

Now if only we can have bumper deletes on select car models...

Last edited:
Back