Forza Horizon 5: General Discussion

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 18,982 comments
As far as all the burnout talk goes, it's funny: I felt it myself a little while ago, sometime around the whole stretch circa the whole Fordzathon fiasco where the big talking point was to complain about how awful and tedious and disappointing FH5 was. But I think I was eventually able to separate what disappointed me about the game (mostly the superficial "hey kids!" vibe and some stagnancy issues that PG later switched up a bit) from what kept me coming back (the cars being incredibly fun to drive, Lucid Air excepted). And I don't get stressed much over the FOMO aspect of the playlists because I am literally playing a two-year-old game a couple hours a week and still having fun. There's still a ton of things I haven't done even though I've put a couple hundred hours into the game; it wasn't until this week that I wondered "hey, what would happen if I built up a '65 Shelby Cobra to have the terrifying power of a Can-Am Porsche 917/30" and finding out how to deal with that is way more fun than nearly anything else I've done in any other racing game since the 360 era.

You know... today's Hummer EV cross country racing reminded me that I'm becoming somewhat addicted to high powered EVs cross country (like the Rivian and Hummer). The heavy weight, instant power and torque is a perfect fit for whizzing around the countryside.

It's a whole new thing, but a very enjoyable thing. More so than the Extreme E racers due to the much greater weight, but much greater power/torque to make up for it.

FOMO talk:

A long whine by the "playlist haters." Only those who want to see it.

For the record, I am sick and tired of this worst trend in the gaming industry today.
FOMO advocates say "it's only for a few minutes or a few hours" but as I have said before, time is not the issue.
I am sick and tired of a game series that I loved being turned into an obligation, as if it were a forced labor, and I have to play it even if I don't want to.

In terms of total hours played, FH5 is probably more than FH3. I'm forced to play a few hours every week.
But the amount of time I spent genuinely enjoying the game is definitely higher in FH3, and the amount of time I spent having those experiences with the series has definitely continued to decline since FH3.

FH3 was the game that started the transformation of Forza Horizon from a game to a forced labor. But that was still an understatement.
Both in the amount of time exploited by Forzathon and the amount of content that can only be gained from it.

So I didn't feel so much aversion or obligation to the system, and more time could be spent on more positive ways to enjoy the game, such as photos, tunes, races, and livery.

FH5 is now the "quota of the week".
Especially when 40 points are required every week like this month.
I launch the game as if I were going to work on a rainy day, and calculate from the list of events in the playlist the combination that will relieve me of this labor most quickly and with the least amount of stress.
Then I prepare the necessary cars and tunes, and when I'm done a few hours later, I'm a little happy that I don't have to play this game for a week, and I quickly finish the game without even testing the cars I've acquired.
For me, playing this game after the playlist is like working overtime 24/7. Why do I have to serve so much? That's how I feel.

I am a huge fan of this series and when I bought FH5 I was really looking forward to the new locations, the new upgrades, the new customizations.
And of course, I enjoyed it so much that I literally forgot to even sleep right after its release.

And when the fun updates were introduced in Forza Monthly I would also get a little bit of that feeling back.
But the truth is, by the time I finish the playlist, I'm exhausted and robbed of any motivation to even try it anymore.

GT7, on the other hand, is a stark contrast.
The game also added a limited-time content called Weekly Challenge in an update a while back.
But all I get from it are roulette tickets and high cr, things that don't matter whether I get them or not.
I play this challenge when I want money. But I'm not punished for not playing this content at all.

The UCD/LCD content is a time gate and some LCD prices are terrible.
But it comes back at regular intervals, so I don't have to play dozens of hours of games right now, scared that I will have to come up with hundreds of millions of cr.
I certainly want a McLaren F1. But even if I don't buy it now, he will be back sooner or later. So I can prioritize other things I want to do.

Both games are today's AAA racing games, with limited time content.
And both games are excellent and I have positive feelings about (basic) games.
But it is GT7 that I enjoy in a more relaxed way and actively replay of my own volition.

Game publishers and developers who only care about user engagement need to remember that gaming is not an obligation, but something to be enjoyed freely in one's spare time, especially Microsoft.
Especially Microsoft, you are the worst publisher in this field in the gaming industry today.

Playlist Talk of the Week:

Being required to score 40 points sucks, but there were a lot of good things about the event. I love off-road racing.
My personal funniest moment was taking on this event in the H1, forgetting that Hummer EV/Barbie Hummer is available for the Hummer Championship.
The 1700hp ICEs were overwhelming the BEVs, but knowing full well that Extreme E and AI rubber banding is a player's nightmare in many cross country events, the moment I saw the BEVs on the starting grid I thought, "Oh my God, I'm losing this one!" 🤪

After saying I’ve been feeling a bit burned out, I went ahead and completed the Weekly Playlist last night. I only needed to complete one daily and the Hot Wheels and Rally Adventure events to finish it up. Only took me about 45 minutes. I plan on hitting it hard this evening. I’m really looking forward to getting that Firebird. That is a sexy lump of metal.

Edit: I'll probably take that Nova and see if I can turn it into a respectable B-Class racer, too.

Last edited:
Game publishers and developers who only care about user engagement need to remember that gaming is not an obligation, but something to be enjoyed freely in one's spare time, especially Microsoft.
Especially Microsoft, you are the worst publisher in this field in the gaming industry today.
I wanted to attach this from your spoiler... yeah this is definitely true. Games ARE designed to be done in their spare time. Not as a form of "forced labor". ETS 2 does not do this stuff. Compare this and tell me if these pics are depressing:
1700180108560.jpeg

1700180151789.jpeg

Which they aren't. Both pics are from Euro Truck 2 and I spend the majority of my time out of them. Same with ATS. And I'm more excited for the 1.49 update since they will upgrade their skybox.

SCS knows how to make a quality product, and only because they are independent. Not low-paid contractors as they used to be years ago. I'd recommend these games as they are relaxing and reasonably polished. You can find it on Steam.

Last edited:
I gave up on Motorfest since once the limited career was finished the rest of the game seems to be timegated or heavily multiplayer dependent, plus I don't enjoy the driving as much as this game.

I've had a couple of years' play of FH5 so far which is a lot for a video game. I'm trying to muster the will to do this month's 40 point run but usually find that once I start that the game is still fun to play and isn't chorelike to me. It's just the ticking clock which is the worst aspect for me so far. FOMOtorsport seems to be a lot more barebones which isn't something one buys a £90 game for.

I've heard GT7 is better after the update but I don't have a PS5 or VR and the prices of the cars puts me off returning.

Last edited:
Also, wanted to bring this useless trivia. You are all aware of the fact that the Chevrolet SS trim is pretty much lost in Forza. Yes, pretty much every Chevrolet has been altered. Even this 66 Nova which is the prize for 20pts. They left out one SS badge for the Nova, which can be seen in your interior on Forzavista or photomode. See here:
1700184916291.png

The whole car lost its SS badges, but they did not do the one on the center console. The plot thickens...

By the way, this isn't a figment of your imagination. This is actually a legitimate SS badge. On a Chevy that was renamed Super Sport. And they missed that trim piece... And it remained unchanged since FM6.

Last edited:
Also, wanted to bring this useless trivia. You are all aware of the fact that the Chevrolet SS trim is pretty much lost in Forza. Yes, pretty much every Chevrolet has been altered. Even this 66 Nova which is the prize for 20pts. They left out one SS badge for the Nova, which can be seen in your interior on Forzavista or photomode. See here:
View attachment 1304114
The whole car lost its SS badges, but they did not do the one on the center console. The plot thickens...

By the way, this isn't a figment of your imagination. This is actually a legitimate SS badge. On a Chevy that was renamed Super Sport. And they missed that trim piece... And it remained unchanged since FM6.
Hm, I wonder if any others were missed.

You know... today's Hummer EV cross country racing reminded me that I'm becoming somewhat addicted to high powered EVs cross country (like the Rivian and Hummer). The heavy weight, instant power and torque is a perfect fit for whizzing around the countryside.

It's a whole new thing, but a very enjoyable thing. More so than the Extreme E racers due to the much greater weight, but much greater power/torque to make up for it.
I took an upgraded H1 for the Hummer event. Even though that’s decisively not electric, I found the combination of lots of torque and light weight (compared to the EVs) to be a blast. Taking the Cobra Daytona for the Shelby event was comparably fun, and the Czinger was the perfect fit for the Hot Wheels event.

Trial was kind of a struggle though. I took the Silverado Trail Boss to show how deep of a wallet I have. For race 1, the lead AI unfortunately ran away, but my team luckily snatched 2-3-4. On race 2, three of my four teammates disconnected, and it took me a lap and a half to catch up to the lead AI and dive bomb it to let my partner catch up. My aggressive blocking gave us the top 2.

Last edited:
View attachment 1304114

86egpx.jpg

Yeah, the L79 had nearly as much power as a lot of its mid- and full-size contemporaries while weighing significantly less.

I once read that the Nova had to have a name change in Latin America because Nova roughly translates to "No go" which makes the fact that the car is fast even funnier.

I once read that the Nova had to have a name change in Latin America because Nova roughly translates to "No go" which makes the fact that the car is fast even funnier.
That storys actually a myth. Yes, Nova is similar to "no va" or no go, but the car's name was never changed and it sold very well

That storys actually a myth. Yes, Nova is similar to "no va" or no go, but the car's name was never changed and it sold very well
Conversely the Opel Corsa was actually sold in Britain as the Vauxhall Nova because they thought it sounded too much like the word "coarser". (Unless that's also a myth.)

A few are 100% true though, at least in the Spanish market, including:

Mitsubishi Pajero (Wanker) -> Montero
Opel Cascada (Literally waterfall in Spanish, but also reminds of Cascado [broken/dead] or Cascarla [go die]) -> Opel Cabrio

And then, lots of cars not sold here with hillarious names, such as the Nissan Moco or the Mazda Laputa, with even hilarious translations.

Last edited:
Closing in a bit towards prestige *2. Is there any advantages to reaching a new level prestige besides veteran-dom?

Last edited:
No, the Corsa was sold here. The Novas an entirely different car
I think he means the first gen Opel Corsa A which was indeed sold as a Vauxhall Nova when introduced in the UK market, from the 2nd gen onwards, it was changed to Corsa.

It's a bit of a mess, just like with the Astra nameplate, the Opel Kadett D was sold there as the Vauxhall Astra Mk.I, Opel started calling them Astra 2 gens later. Same thing with the Opel Vectra A, sold as the Vauxhall Cavalier Mk.III for example.

Last edited:
I think he means the first gen Opel Corsa A which was indeed sold as a Vauxhall Nova when introduced in the UK market, from the 2nd gen onwards, it was changed to Corsa.

It's a bit of a mess, just like with the Astra nameplate, the Opel Kadett D was sold there as the Vauxhall Astra Mk.I, Opel started calling them Astra 2 gens later. Same thing with the Opel Vectra A, sold as the Vauxhall Cavalier Mk.III for example.
Huh. I actually didnt know that. Fair enough

As JPinto says the Nissan Moco was never sold in Spain, which did not stop him from becoming famous with that name. But the funniest thing is that Nissan advertised the car in green.

There are several cars whose names translated into Spanish are funny.

•Kia Borrego: literally sheep, but it can also mean person who obeys others or who does not usually think for himself.
•Ford Corrida: refers to bullfighting, but colloquially that word is used to make reference to another thing, specifically cumshot or squirt.
•Lancia Marica: Lancia faggot.
•Rimac Nevera: Rimac fridge.
•Audi Q3: for non-Spanish speakers it may seem strange that there is something to worry about in a number and a letter.
Q3 in Spanish is pronounced cu-tres. And cutres means something similar to shabby, seedy or stingy.

Translating into Portuguese there is also a curious case.

Hyundai Kona: Hyundai pussy, bacause of that Hyundai change the name to Hyundai Kauai in Portugal.

None that I’m aware of.
When you reach a new star level, from memory you get a Super Wheelspin instead of the normal wheelspin. Aaand that's it!
As JPinto says the Nissan Moco was never sold in Spain, which did not stop him from becoming famous with that name. But the funniest thing is that Nissan advertised the car in green.

There are several cars whose names translated into Spanish are funny.

•Kia Borrego: literally sheep, but it can also mean person who obeys others or who does not usually think for himself.
•Ford Corrida: refers to bullfighting, but colloquially that word is used to make reference to another thing, specifically cumshot or squirt.
•Lancia Marica: Lancia faggot.
•Rimac Nevera: Rimac fridge.
•Audi Q3: for non-Spanish speakers it may seem strange that there is something to worry about in a number and a letter.
Q3 in Spanish is pronounced cu-tres. And cutres means something similar to shabby, seedy or stingy.

Translating into Portuguese there is also a curious case.

Hyundai Kona: Hyundai pussy, bacause of that Hyundai change the name to Hyundai Kauai in Portugal.
Rimac Fridge - well, it handles like a fridge in FH5....

Buick (in)famously renamed the LaCrosse the Allure for the Canadian market because in Quebec lacrosse is slang for...uh...beating one's meat...
It's also slang for being scammed (c'est une/de la crosse) which given GM's reputation at the time also wasn't something they wanted I imagine.

Toyota had a lot of trouble selling MR2s in French speaking markets because it sounds close to "emmerdeur", which roughly translate to someone being a ****.

This kind of car name talk is interesting.
And it's a shame that Rolls-Royce isn't in many of today's racing games, including FH5.
Their latest SUV, the Cullinan, has the same pronunciation as "Kari Nan (仮ナン),'' which means ”temporary license plate'' in Japanese slang.
If their relationship with Forza had still continued and Cullinan had appeared in FH5, many Japanese would have stuck a vinyl group of Japanese license plates on this car and played the joke "Cullinan with Kari Nan".

Chris Harris on the new BMW M2 we recently got in game:

The styling will always be love-or-hate, but Harris seems absolutely smitten with BMW this past year going by his IG. He liked the M2, loved the M5C, and also liked the M3 Touring. I know he also had time in the CSL, but I didn't see his thoughts on it.

Latest Posts

Back