Forza Motorsport 7: General Pre-Release Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 1,837 comments
I think they'd make a lot of people happy if they were to release some GT-style museum pieces of the kind that only big money has the resources to model and provide.

It would be nice, especially with them touting their Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche lineups. I would also love to see some lesser known brands like Bizzarini, Iso and Matra.

True. I seem to remember the FH3 reveals having a different number of cars each week, I wonder if they'll do the same thing again.

True. I seem to remember the FH3 reveals having a different number of cars each week, I wonder if they'll do the same thing again.
Yeah I think FH3 had a big first reveal (150 cars) and then slowed down to about 30ish per week from there.

Since T10 have a lot more cars to get through I think we'll probably see more towards 60-100 per week varying on the theme of the week I guess.

Also the 200+ tracks is actually just counting layouts not weather configurations, according to BADNED

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240957054&postcount=602

You might want to check your game again. :) Of course they don't count as different track layouts (why would they), but they count as different tracks in the sense of those 200 tracks that Forza 7 will have. They all have their own leaderboard in Rivals. There were approx. 160 tracks/variations in Forza 6 (which includes backwards, night, weather each counting as a "track"). Now with Forza 7 there will be 200 "tracks", a number that is only possible if again every night or something variation counts as a track. There are only four new settings, Mugello can have two track layouts, Suzuka three, Maple Valley I think had three in the past as well, Dubai looks like it has three layouts at most. The only way to reach 200 is to count every variation as its own track.

Unless what you are saying is that you added new layouts to every single old track as well. But then you would market the larger number anyways. There's 85 track layouts in Forza 6, 160 tracks, Forza 7 will have roughly 100 track layouts and 200 tracks.

And BADNED's reply

Again, the official ribbon count has never included weather variations as part of the total amount of ribbons the game features.

Also you have yet to see the final list of locations and all their ribbons the game will feature. You really think you already heard everything?

Pretty much all the locations featured in FM6 did not had all the ribbons they have in real life either, so adding new ribbons to existing locations isn't really unrealistic.

BTW FM6 had 102 ribbons(115 with DLC) without weather variations. ;)

I was messing around with the DP's in FM6 earlier and had a thought... considering how uncompetitive they were in P class and that they are now totally outdated, one has to wonder if we'll get any of the DPi's, given T10 and IMSA/ALMS have had a very good "relationship" for a few years now.

Of course it's pure speculation, but throwing that Caddy around Sebring or Road Atlanta would probably be quite fun.

There's very odd photo currently on the Xbox Store under the 'E3 - Collect Them All'. It's an edited image for sure, but in the foreground there's a Flying Lizard Porsche GT2 with a real life IMSA pit crew, one of which with a Continental Tire in their hand. In the back there's a WTR Konica Minolta Corvette DP, but an older model than the one in FM6. (The Flying Lizard Porsche is from FM6 btw). The Pit lane has a partly blue guardrail from Watkins Glen. In the far background there is a large bridge similar to the one at the final hairpin at the Rio circuit in FM6 but not that exact one. There's also a grandstand that looks like it could be from Forza but I'm not certain. I'd screenshot it but Xbox only lets you screenshot games. Very random for them use an edited photo like this, instead of just a game shot that we've seen already.

The Forza Garage - Week 2
1968 Abarth 595 esseesse
1934 Alfa Romeo P3
1950 Alfa Romeo 158
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA Stradale
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ2
1968 Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale
1939 Auto Union Type D
1959 BMW 507
1957 BMW Isetta 300 Export
1953 Chevrolet Corvette
1957 Chevrolet Bel Air
1960 Chevrolet Corvette
1964 Chevrolet Impala Super Sport 409
1966 Chevrolet Nova Super Sport
1967 Chevrolet Chevelle Super Sport 396
1967 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 427
1969 Chevrolet Camaro Super Sport Coupe
1969 Chevrolet Nova Super Sport 396
1969 Datsun 2000 Roadster
1967 Dodge Coronet WO23
1968 Dodge Dart HEMI Super Stock
1969 Dodge Charger Daytona HEMI
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1969 Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe
1952 Fiat 8V Supersonic
1932 Ford De Luxe Five-Window Coupe
1940 Ford De Luxe Coupe
1946 Ford Super Deluxe Station Wagon
1964 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt
1965 Ford Mustang GT Coupe
1967 Ford Falcon XR GT
1969 Ford Mustang Boss 302
1951 Holden 50-2106 FX Ute
1967 Honda RA300
1959 Jaguar Mk II 3.8
1961 Jaguar E-type S1
1956 Jaguar D-Type
1954 Jaguar XK120 SE
1945 Jeep Willys MB
1968 Lancia Fulvia Coupé Rallye 1.6 HF
1939 Mercedes-Benz W154
1954 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Coupé
1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR
1967 Mercedes-Benz 280 SL
1949 Mercury Coupe
1965 MINI Cooper S
1969 Nissan Fairlady Z 432
1966 Nissan Silvia
1969 Oldsmobile Hurst/Olds 442
1968 Opel GT
1958 Plymouth Fury
1965 Pontiac GTO
1969 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
1969 Pontiac GTO Judge
1965 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
1965 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe
1963 Volkswagen Beetle
1963 Volkswagen Type 2 De Luxe
1967 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
1967 Volvo 123GT

corvettel.png

The Chevrolet Corvettel... Hm. Wonder if it came with a blue flag included? It would've only been an honest deal!

They almost have enough tracks to do a full IMSA Weathertech season, if all of the previous courses carry over, throw in Belle Isle Park & Motorsport Park it be complete. Looking at trends of the past games, be surprised if the didn't include another North American course.

There's only one new car to the franchise in there though and it's the 158 (which is a lovely addition), everything else is a returning model from an older game. Combined with last week's reveal and the E3 presentation, we're at a grand total of... 3 brand new cars.

With that said I'm happy to see the return of some of my favorite 360 era cars, especially the Karmann Ghia. :)

There's only one new car to the franchise in there though and it's the 158 (which is a lovely addition), everything else is a returning model from an older game. Combined with last week's reveal and the E3 presentation, we're at a grand total of... 3 brand new cars.

With that said I'm happy to see the return of some of my favorite 360 era cars, especially the Karmann Ghia. :)
I think each reveal they are going to sprinkle new cars until maybe the last one in which it will probably be majority of new to series or franchise cars. I wish i would see more newbies too but I'm being patient. The forza 4 comebacks is holding me over for now.

Car lists are fantastic but there has been very little talk of the physics or how they've improved car sounds or overall sound stage. So I suppose we won't get to know until the demo arrives.

I hope Turn 10 is paying attention to GT Sport's livery editor, because in some ways, it's better than Forza's. The livery editor in GTS will already come with plenty of decals to use and just like in GT6, it looks like you can apply a number plate to your car instead of making one from scratch.

I hope Turn 10 is paying attention to GT Sport's livery editor, because in some ways, it's better than Forza's. The livery editor in GTS will already come with plenty of decals to use and just like in GT6, it looks like you can apply a number plate to your car instead of making one from scratch.
Funny you mention that, as I posted about it over here and it's started to get some traction: https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst101409_Forza-Motorsport-7--Livery-Editor.aspx

Car lists are fantastic but there has been very little talk of the physics or how they've improved car sounds or overall sound stage. So I suppose we won't get to know until the demo arrives.

Almost nothing was said about physics at E3. Maybe at Gamescom next month.

Funny you mention that, as I posted about it over here and it's started to get some traction: https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst101409_Forza-Motorsport-7--Livery-Editor.aspx
Nice post. As a customer, I'd simply like to see painters being able to achieve the same quality of T10-made liveries, but some say these liveries aren't built with in-game tools (that would also explain why painters can't put decals on windshield, something that Turn 10 can do).

Nice post. As a customer, I'd simply like to see painters being able to achieve the same quality of T10-made liveries, but some say these liveries aren't built with in-game tools (that would also explain why painters can't put decals on windshield, something that Turn 10 can do).
Turn 10 designs aren't done with the livery editor; they're high quality texture maps that despite their detail use less data than a user-created design. They're skinned in the same way that PC racing game models skin their cars.

Turn 10 designs aren't done with the livery editor; they're high quality texture maps that despite their detail use less data than a user-created design. They're skinned in the same way that PC racing game models skin their cars.

So the T10 liveries are in fact much better in terms of quality and crispiness?

So the T10 liveries are in fact much better in terms of quality and crispiness?

gU3OLaz.png

This is what a "native" skin would look like.

In game development terms it is called a texture map, and it is wrapped around the 3D model in order to produce a livery.
As this is developed in-house it can be compressed and optimised in a lossless fashion, and is saved on the hard drive/disc of every copy of the game.
This cannot be changed without issuing a patch that affects all users.

For the user-created version of the livery editor, we are given a simplified version where a texture map has been split up into separate paintable areas that we can place shapes on top of.
While this version is potentially saved locally, the file size needs to be kept to a minimum as {a} it can be edited at any time and {b} will be uploaded and downloaded several times as it can be accessed from the Storefront and in races. I wouldn't be surprised if it's saved on the Forza servers and our local copies are essentially backups. In that case the Forza servers need to be capable of storing up to a billion potential livery designs, as each of the 3 million + players that will play can theoretically upload 300+ designs.

TLDR:
  • Native liveries are static images, saved as part of the game's texture data, and can be saved at a higher quality.
  • User-created liveries are dynamic and stored on the Forza servers, and need to be compressed for many different reasons.

gU3OLaz.png

This is what a "native" skin would look like.

In game development terms it is called a texture map, and it is wrapped around the 3D model in order to produce a livery.
As this is developed in-house it can be compressed and optimised in a lossless fashion, and is saved on the hard drive/disc of every copy of the game.
This cannot be changed without issuing a patch that affects all users.

For the user-created version of the livery editor, we are given a simplified version where a texture map has been split up into separate paintable areas that we can place shapes on top of.
While this version is potentially saved locally, the file size needs to be kept to a minimum as {a} it can be edited at any time and {b} will be uploaded and downloaded several times as it can be accessed from the Storefront and in races. I wouldn't be surprised if it's saved on the Forza servers and our local copies are essentially backups. In that case the Forza servers need to be capable of storing up to a billion potential livery designs, as each of the 3 million + players that will play can theoretically upload 300+ designs.

TLDR:
  • Native liveries are static images, saved as part of the game's texture data, and can be saved at a higher quality.
  • User-created liveries are dynamic and stored on the Forza servers, and need to be compressed for many different reasons.

Thanks PJ - very informative and made for a good read! 👍

And based on the videos I've seen, I'm going to feel the same way about the new Dubai track. The fantasy tracks, save for Maple Valley and Sunset Peninsula (but then we don't really need that one anymore because Daytona and Homestead), are pretty much the worst thing about Forza IMO.
I felt that most of Forza's fantasy tracks are way too wide. No remarkable turns also, all of them are "safe" midspeed turns resulting in uninteresting layouts.

Hopefully more IRL tracks. IMHO.

Latest Posts

Back