Forza Motorsport 7: General Pre-Release Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 1,837 comments
Open Division, eh? Is that meant to be like Blueprint?
What it reminds me of is from Forza 4 when you had the class specific championships where you can bring whatever car you want as long as it fits in that class bracket.

• There's a "Crate System" to help unlock these, a [Buy Crates] button was spotted (presumably works like "Loot Boxes" in other games).
The crate system concerns me a bit for potential pushing of microtransactions. If they balance the economy right, then it may not be so bad.

Mixer Live @ Gamescom (don't have a VOD link at the moment).

• Graeme Boyd (Aceybongos) and Bill Giese do a deep dive into Forza Motorsport 7.
  • The build they're showing is the "behind closed doors" version that media have been seeing all week (running on Xbox One X).
  • Garage-themed homespace shown.
  • Turn 10 have been building 4K assets ever since work started on Forza Motorsport 6.
  • 5 main tabs: Home / Single Player / Multiplayer / Cars / Progress
  • Forza Drivers Cup: Split into 6 Series. Those Series are then using the Car Divisions for individual events/Championships.
  • There's an "Open Division" that lets you race whatever you want.
  • Showcases return, tied in with people like Ken Block, Magnus Walker etc. (similar to Forza Motorsport 6).
  • The cars you race in the Showcases can only be earned in Showcases (and presumable the Auction House).
  • Driver Gear is split into multiple categories: All / Forza Favourites / Pop Culture / Team Colours / A-Z
  • There's a "Crate System" to help unlock these, a [Buy Crates] button was spotted (presumably works like "Loot Boxes" in other games).
  • Gameplay of Suzuka in a storm.
  • Assists no longer affect CR payout, it's all in the Mod system now, which returns from Forza Motorsport 6.
  • "Good Pass", "Perfect Turn" etc. mid-race notifications return.
  • Mods, XP and CR are given out after a Single Player race.
  • When you level up you get a choice of rewards.
  • The more cars you own, the higher your Collection Tier will be. This Tier is displayed on your profile and others can see it. A higher tier scales up the rewards you get.
  • Multiplayer main menu: Multiplayer / Leagues / Forza Hub / Forza TV / Forza Gallery / Message Center
  • Players can broadcast in 4K to Mixer.

Hopefully, we will get an official disclosure soon that will explain some of these features in more detail, along with screenshots, etc. But I like what I'm hearing so far. Glad that this information drought is starting to come to an end.

New Sonoma Raceway gameplay footage from AR12.

• "Your tyres change during the race when the weather changes". (Sounds like there are no "compounds" or alternative in-race tyre choices like in F1 201X titles, whatever you have on the car will just work in everything.)
  • When you make a pit stop, you get notifications of what has been changed (Front Left Tyre, Front Right etc.).

How about that, I agree with AR12 about something. I honestly don't like the moving hud either, I think that can be a bit too distracting. As for the demo, I hope the god that they don't make it a tutorial type demo like with FM6; because that got really annoying. Turn 10 for crying out loud, please just make it a simple "select a small sample of cars, 1 or 2 tracks". That's all I want for a demo, I don't want any voices telling me what to do.

• "Your tyres change during the race when the weather changes". (Sounds like there are no "compounds" or alternative in-race tyre choices like in F1 201X titles, whatever you have on the car will just work in everything.)
  • When you make a pit stop, you get notifications of what has been changed (Front Left Tyre, Front Right etc.).
Tire changing while driving? That just sounds bad/lazy.

Tire changing while driving? That just sounds bad/lazy.

Well... it's Forza. Like Dan Greenwald said at E3, this game has to appeal to young and old. Why don't we have tyre strategies, qualifying sessions, penalties, manual pitstops and all that in Forza? Quite easy, because it would make the game too complicated for the kids. Why do we have wheelspins, loot crates, astronaut driver gear and all that instead? Because the kids love it in other non-racing games as well.

That's also one of the main reasons for me FH and FM are "fun to goof around with" and something like AC or PC2 are the more serious racing games. I mean that as no disrespect to Forza but that is simply the way it is today. And I will get both PC2 and FM7 for my XBox One X as well, each for their own purpose as I mentioned here. I like both the serious sim racing and the fun arcade racing. And even though I also have a PS4 Pro and fully capable 4K HDR system in my living room, I will just skip GT:Sport entirely since I have yet got to find the purpose in that game...

Well... it's Forza.
To be honest, it gets very old, to the point that understanding your opinion gets less and less realized. It's bad and lazy because it's Forza? Yeah, I'm not understanding the sentiment.

What do they mean "during the race"?!

That sounds incredibly short-sighted, if the weather is actually dynamic. Will the computer select tires based on what it knows the weather is going to be in the next few laps? Or will it just base it on the weather that's active the moment my car enters the pits? I could end up getting back on track on rains right as it's clearing.

What do they mean "during the race"?!

That sounds incredibly short-sighted, if the weather is actually dynamic. Will the computer select tires based on what it knows the weather is going to be in the next few laps? Or will it just base it on the weather that's active the moment my car enters the pits? I could end up getting back on track on rains right as it's clearing.
Most likely it is just magic all-weather tires rather then the tire actually changing mid-race.

Instead of saying that tires change automatically, why not just say there is one universal compound? Did Turn 10 actually put it this way?

Instead of saying that tires change automatically, why not just say there is one universal compound? Did Turn 10 actually put it this way?
Tires changing automatically doesn't automatically mean that there's one compound. If they are to exclude tire compounds from being selected during customization, than that will seriously hurt the handling aspect of many of the lower end cars when modifying.

I pre-ordered the Ultimate Edition today as I don't really buy that many games anyway. As I said before, FM7 has enough for me to justify the purchase with the dynamic weather effects, improved lighting, bringing back cars from the previous games while keeping the recently added ones, forzathon, and the blueprint feature returning. Also, FM6 doesn't have widebody kit options or extended fenders.

Yes, I could just enjoy the newer cars in FH3, but the problem with that is that some of the cars added to the game such as the HSV GTS and Zonda R are more track focused. Forza Horizon 3 has more of a focus towards offroad racing than on tarmac; so there's very few road circuits where I can drive those kind of cars on. There's also only a couple of long tracks for the faster vehicles, FM7 will allow me to get full use out of those cars.

The implementation of tires automatically adjusting to the weather conditions during the race does rub me the wrong way a bit. It strikes as if T10 isn't getting on top of how dynamic conditions can greatly affect strategy in racing, especially if they want to push an improved eSports aspect to online.

@6:15 In the video, race length tool added. In campaign mode the ability to extend the length of the race.
nice feature, get away from the two lap shoot out, apparently able to extend the race to 45 minute.
I wonder the longer the race, the less drastic the weather changes.

Also confirming a demo release, mentioned towards the end of the video

Last edited:
I love the camera views in Forza except one: cockpit view. There is something missing, I don't know what. It just doesn't feel right IMO.

In this video I can see some cars that are probably returning, they are:

Cars shown under the Single Player menu:
Ford GT40 Mk. II '66 (0:13, shown in the "Rivals" section of the menu)
Ford #11 Rockstar Energy F-150 Trophy Truck '14 (0:13, shown in the Free Play section of the menu)

Cars shown under the career mode:
Audi #4 Audi 90 quattro IMSA GTO '89 (0:44, shown on the lower right corner under the "Forza Driver's Cup" campaign cell)
Polaris #37 RJ Anderson RZR-Rockstar Energy Pro 2 Truck '16 (2:08, shown on the "Forza Trophy Trucks" campaign cell)
Ford #43 Hoonigan Racing Division Focus RS (Gymkhana 9) '16 (2:36, shown on the "Ken Block Ford Focus 1-on-1" campaign cell)

Cars shown under the Multiplayer menu:
Audi #1 Audi Sport Team Joest R18 e-tron quattro '12 (10:58)
Audi #2 Audi Sport Team Joest R18 e-tron quattro '14 (10:58)
Nissan #23 GT-R LM NISMO '15 (10:58)
Audi #2 Audi Sport Team Joest R15++ TDI '11 (10:58)
Peugeot #9 Peugeot Sport Total 908 '09 (10:58)
Peugeot #10 Team Matmut 908 '11 (10:58)

There may be more returning cars seen in the video, but they aren't too clear to be seen properly.

Total: 11 cars

Back