Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 14,444 comments
I was giving a look in the suposed extended layout of Hakone
Bridge has some info on it and the another link has some racing walls and kerbs on it

1696670715911.png

1696670771071.png

1696670804586.png

Had a real close battle in rivals last night and the upgrade system actually shined, as I was constantly trying to find the perfect balance between handling and speed. Ignore their name, that had nothing to do with my commitment:
IMG_20231007_031543.jpg

My biggest gripe with the game is not being able to increase laps like FM7 in the career mode. Makes it almost pointless (or at least having a grid of 24) and grindy. As I would just stick to free play but if there's gonna be exclusive (?) prize cars I'll have no choice.
I didn't want qualifying before, but it would make sense now and tie it to the MP format.

The one thing I do agree with is that regardless of how many times you buy the same car whatever upgrades you've earned should transfer over.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a steering wheel for Xbox?

I have a CSL DD pro and I'm forced to use my old McLaren GT3 wheel and none of the extra buttons are mapping, probably because it's an older wheel.

Worse than the lack of mapping is the fact that the paddle shifter is horrible. It's one bar across the top so when you depress up shift the paddle on the left also moves and I don't know what the paddles on the bottom do but I hit those way too many times by mistake.
You might like the Formula V2 wheel, but the issue of some buttons not mapping is not a Forza issue, it’s a Fanatec/Xbox one and happens on many of their wheels.

As for the paddles there’s a magnetic shifter mod out there worth exploring.

On a more human note. Anybody know what happened to dan greenawalt? Has he been sick? Last time I saw him I was shocked I almost didnt recognize him. I really felt for him.
He’s the GM (General Manager) of the studio now, so instead of being involved in the day-to-day of designing games he’s more looking after the long-term strategic development of the series as a whole.

I saw him in an interview recently, looks like he’s lost some weight, good for him 🙂

Also in that same interview he says he has a tradition of shaving off the entire beard when a game is finished.

I agree with some of DJS’ points here, interesting to see him spell it all out:

Woke up this morning to see 8 notifications from this 😅

May as well throw in my 2 cents:

• Multiplayer, physics and tracks are all great, as Joe said.
  1. I’m not a big fan of that CarXP system, despite being the kind of person that only drives 10 cars in a game. I think the idea is good but the execution needs work. Having bonus multipliers for clean racing or manufacturer affinity could help, as could ensuring that all copies of a car have the same level.
  2. Answered above.
  3. Yup, don’t like seeing content “not in the game” be in trailers. As a personal bug-bear, I’ve never liked how Forza claim all their trailers are “in-game 4k footage” when said trailers use higher graphics settings than retail, custom camera angles, sound mixing etc. “Not all images appear in-game” is the standard legal line on all EA trailers, even when showing gameplay as technically your watermarks, lower thirds and endslate are not in-game assets.
  4. Livery editor feels awful in this game, agreed.
  5. Replay system appears unchanged in a decade and definitely doesn’t look as good as what Gran Turismo put out.
  6. I don’t think it’s the “worst it’s ever been” when it’s the exact same as previous Motorsport titles. Definitely not as good as Forza Horizon 5 though.
  7. It’s a little concerning there’s little to no race car action in career, not even a Special Events category.
  8. I think the lighting is good for what it is trying to do, which is to replicate reality. The thing is we’re so used to enhanced hyperreal imagery (I call it “Hollywood”) that real-life is dull by comparison, and I think that’s what’s happening here. If you’re on PC throw some ReShade filters at it.
  9. There are dozens of little niggles with this game that annoy me, simply because other games (and other Forza games) have done them better.
He’s right to air his opinions, we all are. Personally I know I’ll continue to enjoy the game for its multiplayer (which is great) and its physics (which are also great, finally good on wheel too), even if some things (mostly on the creative side) have taken a step back from Forza Horizon 5.

Last edited:
Oh. My. ****ing god.
Just qualified on pole position. Waiting on grid. Change tires and fuel. Confirmed.
Game crashed to desktop.

What in the world.

People who are defending this game has a big Turn10 tattoo on their *ss.

Having been playing this for 2 days straight now I think that for all the positive changes that have been made, it just feels, well kinda boring to play. I truly wanted this to become my go-to track racer but I'd rather play something else that feels much more involving. It didn't bode well that the night before I was playing a rivals event on PC3, a quick lap soaking wet Oulton Park in a Grp A Skyline and that awesome experience has been stuck in my mind. You know when something's nagging at you that something's not right ? I drove a few races this morning back on PC3, much better. Car physics are better, controller feedback is perfect, replays look great really showing off car body movement. A real sense of fun. I will still be playing FM on and off because it certainly has a load of good points and shows a lot of potential but imo theres better out there. PC2/3 ACC instantly spring to mind. And of course a completely different kettle of fish, DR2 and soon WRC 😀 Just my opinion!

I'm not sure if you're saying that anyone who says anything about the game that isn't outright condemnation is defending the stuff which goes wrong. It sounds particularly broken on PC but not all of us are playing on PC.

If there's anyone left playing it by the time the first round of GPU driver releases and the November update are out I wonder whether their experience will change.

[EDIT] LOL at Spider-bro pooping people for either having consoles or not crashing on PC. Way to go!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you're saying that anyone who says anything about the game that isn't outright condemnation is defending the stuff which goes wrong. It sounds particularly broken on PC but not all of us are playing on PC.

If there's anyone left playing it by the time the first round of GPU driver releases and the November update are out I wonder whether their experience will change.
I've got 12+ hours on PC (MS Store version) and haven't has a single crash or issue. Mind you, I'm on a 4090 / 13900k so I'm good on VRAM, but other than that I don't know why there are so many PC issues. Steam version only maybe?

I've got 12+ hours on PC (MS Store version) and haven't has a single crash or issue. Mind you, I'm on a 4090 / 13900k so I'm good on VRAM, but other than that I don't know why there are so many PC issues. Steam version only maybe?
I'm on Microsoft Store version since I play both on PC and on Xbox Series X. I didn't had any crashes up until yesterday evening. And it's only in multiplayer. Single Player is all good.

And my 4080 is totally fine. It's on 60% usage on everything Ultra, with Full Raytracing and DLAA on 1440p.

Last edited:

I don't see anyone in the thread defending any of the issues, primarily CTD's, low performance, the game not even starting, or the missing QOL and creative features.

Just because folks are enjoying themselves (and they have a right to if they've purchased it) doesn't mean they are excusing the issues present

Put a screenshot up of the stats after a benchmark run, and I'll do the same with the same settings as you to compare. I'm on the Steam version with a 4080 + 5800X3D, and the performance is absolutely terrible compared to FH5.

Put a screenshot up of the stats after a benchmark run, and I'll do the same with the same settings as you to compare. I'm on the Steam version with a 4080 + 5800X3D, and the performance is absolutely terrible compared to FH5.

I put 4-5 screenshots of multiple benchmarks with different settings a few pages back.

Apart from the crashes during online races since yesterday evening, the performance is okay with my 4080 and 5800x3D.
Running everything maxed out and locked my FPS to 60FPS. Unlocked I get 80+ FPS on 1440p.

Apart from the crashes during online races since yesterday evening, the performance is okay with my 4080 and 5800x3D.
Running everything maxed out and locked my FPS to 60FPS. Unlocked I get 80+ FPS on 1440p.
I get his frustration though. You have to wonder how the same game can run like complete garbage (or not at all) and the only difference is a 3rd party launcher.

Edit: I just got my first crash running a benchmark. I trued on DLSS to Ultra DLAA. It ran the benchmark fine, but crashed after I tried to exit. I actually dropped 5 fps turning it on though.

Last edited:
Check the Forza Support X Page, as they're currently looking onto the causes of the crash, although they'll likely release a day 1 patch by the 10th.
This kind of stuff should be tested by QA well before launch. Too bad QA is practically nonexistent in most AAA studios though because they tend to fall back on ‘release now, patch later’. Baldur’s Gate 3, Tears of the Kingdom, GOW Ragnarok, and RE4make should be the standard for ensuring games are playable and complete at launch, not anomalies.

Last edited:
Replay system appears unchanged in a decade and definitely doesn’t look as good as what Gran Turismo put out.
Is it really stuck on legacy code from decades ago? What are replay mode's limitations and what can be done to improve it? Or should it be scrapped? What do other competitors do with their replay modes?
True, that mode kinda has been stuck in 2007 and left it there as-is.

Last edited:
Is it really stuck on legacy code from decades ago? What are replay mode's limitations and what can be done to improve it? Or should it be scrapped? What do other competitors do with their replay modes?
True, that mode kinda has been stuck in 2007 and left it there as-is.
I don’t think it’s the literal code, but in terms of the options and angles to choose from, they haven’t evolved.

GT Sport had very realistic replay camera angles, audio and motion that look like you’re watching a real race, it’s why I watch the big GT esports events despite not owning a PlayStation anymore. Forza (and almost every other title on the market) still looks like a “game” in replays.

This is literally the first video that showed up for me when I searched “GT7 replay” and it illustrates it well:

Last edited:
For crashes, I honestly haven't had any when playing the game myself on my RTX 3060 at 1080p. I'm mainly stuck with 1080p due to my monitor choice. Though I have had rendering issues, objects keep popping in and out as I drive along including roads disappearing. Which can get really distracting, not to mention affect my driving as I have no idea where I'm going when the whole road I'm driving on invisible.

This kind of stuff should be tested by QA well before launch. Too bad QA is practically nonexistent in most AAA studios though because they tend to fall back on ‘release now, patch later’. Baldur’s Gate 3, Tears of the Kingdom, GOW Ragnarok, and RE4make should be the standard for ensuring games are playable and complete at launch, not anomalies.
I wonder whether at least some of the problems are something to do with their servers not being sufficiently stress tested until early release phase. I'd figure this would be harder to test before a lot of people play the game and think the huge problems with Horizon 5's launch had something to do with the same thing. At another wild guess I'd suggest that the reason it's worse on PC than console (afaik) is due to the wider variety of hardware systems it has to run on.

If so then perhaps it's yet another thing to hate the always online game model for, especially with games which aren't exclusive to console on launch.

Before anyone comes at me for making excuses, I'm not defending MS or Turn 10 or saying this is in any way acceptable towards people who aren't getting the experience they've paid money for. They should definitely take a leaf out of the book of developers and publishers who release robust multiplayer games. It's telling, however, that this is the first racing game I've played with a bug report screen right there in the menu. To my mind this says a lot about Xbox's faith or lack thereof in their product.

Last edited:
One last thing I wanted to drop here which makes me think they never did more than one team meeting around the big table deciding what to do with the 'new' motorsport. At that table, they had this grand idea of 'hey lets implement a system in the game to encourage people to try to improve sectors'. A grand idea wouldn't you think? And really something that complements the whole 'Motorsport' idea, right? Sounds like a great plan. Still at the table someone came up with the idea to show those dumb forza players what sectors are essential to improve upon. 'You know what, let's put a very big white marker all over the road and some cones at the side to really be clear that those are the sectors to improve!' Everybody at the table: 'Great idea, wonderful, let's cash it'... They never actually tried it out, tested it. Because how can you improve sectors if you completely destroy the reference points you usually have during a race? Setting a braking point and becoming consistent has become impossible with their grand idea. Their whole approach does completely the opposite of what it should do. And it is what their whole 'new motorsport approach' is built upon... But they never found out about it, because they never played the actual game after that one team session...

Back