Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 14,446 comments
  • I concluded there that the upscaling methods (DLSS and FSR) cause too many artefacts (especially shimmer, jaggies) for only a small performance gain (at 1440p at least).
If you update DLSS manually, you get a much better experience but it doesn't fix the jaggies on powerlines for example. It does get rid of a lot of ghosting, especially behind the cars, though. Personally I like the look and performance of DLSS quality the most though the powerlines really do bother me. I think I use sharpening between 2-3, it's been awhile since I looked. I had to lower it because it causes a halo around trees with a clear sky at night and it's really distracting.

Please, for the love of all that is good, fix that helicopter replay cam. It's actually more restrictive than nearly every other camera

A helicopter cam in every other racing game is beautiful and shows everything, which is exactly what we want when we select it.

Have you guys tried selecting the helicopter cam? It's frustrating because it's terrible

A lot of what Gamermuscle brings up aren’t performance issues though. No amount of PC driver fixes will improve the design of the career mode, the implementation of the AI etc.
As mentioned a couple of paras down in my post and previous ones of mine throughout this thread :)

Failrace has the first private touring car race up:

Now that just looks like a lot of fun to me. They are all coping well with the handling but still getting used to things. However it all seems to work smoothly despite just being a few days after launch.

Here are comparison benchmarks of FH5 and FM 2023 with my system to show why I'm saying the FM 2023 performance is terrible. I don't believe it's a launcher issue. I've done the best I can to equalise settings, basically 4k, ultra quality, dlss quality for both games.

Both games are limited by the CPU rendering element, with FH5 having a min of 147fps, FM 2023 51fps.

I'm not saying FM 2023 is unplayable because of this, it is perfectly playable at a reasonably solid 60fps in most practical situations. I'd just rather be playing at a higher framerate, and it does represent terrible performance compared to FH5.

View attachment 1293289

View attachment 1293288
I ran 2 benchmarks on FH5. One with DLSS and one without. Both with everything set to max. I really don't like how shiny everything is in FH5. It reminds me of NFS.

Attachments

• FH5 Benchmark DLSS.JPG
    FH5 Benchmark DLSS.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 11
  • FH5 Benchmark.JPG
    FH5 Benchmark.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 10
From what seeing, console people (including myself) has mostly not having much problems with the game besides some graphical issues that certainly will be fixed as times goes on

But on PC people seems having lot of problems of optimization, and since PC people tend to be more vocal and sometimes more numerous worries me that maybe they can kill the long term projet of the game beacuse of it

What you guys think? is the game really doomed to fail or it have hope? beacuse the people in console that has not having problems seems FAR LESS vocal than the PC people having issues...

I had been waiting this game since its annouciament in 2020 and had been worried with what people would think about the game during its launch beacuse if fails could get the axe quickly like some games, I know that MS seems focusing on bulding catalog on long term but considering lots of companies seems cutting jobs in a quick rate, i get worried if Xbox may get people in the chop block again and Forza have problems of the consequencies when you have less people to work with something

From what seeing, console people (including myself) has mostly not having much problems with the game besides some graphical issues that certainly will be fixed as times goes on

But on PC people seems having lot of problems of optimization, and since PC people tend to be more vocal and sometimes more numerous worries me that maybe they can kill the long term projet of the game beacuse of it

What you guys think? is the game really doomed to fail or it have hope? beacuse the people in console that has not having problems seems FAR LESS vocal than the PC people having issues...

I had been waiting this game since its annouciament in 2020 and had been worried with what people would think about the game during its launch beacuse if fails could get the axe quickly like some games, I know that MS seems focusing on bulding catalog on long term but considering lots of companies seems cutting jobs in a quick rate, i get worried if Xbox may get people in the chop block again and Forza have problems of the consequencies when you have less people to work with something
I think the vast majority of players will be on console, and that was optimized first.
For the PC, I think anyone with suitable hardware can have a good experience, but the work to figure out how to optimize is a lot more involved than it should be. Hopefully they will improve their presets to make the game less confusing to optimize.

Since you have a PC hat on, you are probably viewing the game from a point of view which isn't so important to T10. I think the game will fail or succeed solely on how much Gamepass retention it gets from console players. And this will be about:
  1. The quality of the graphics to look good and show off your 4k HDR TV
  2. That there's enough to do in single player
  3. That there's good multiplayer

Right now I'd give 1. about 75%, 2 about 50% and 3 about 80%. Will that be enough? Not sure... I think way more people will remain retained on Gamepass in FH5 than FM2023 personally.

P.S. FH5 hit 33 million users who played the game through to getting in the Hall of Fame (~10 hours of play). I have no doubt that FM2023 will never get there. I wonder if they are viewing 15 million players who put 10 hours in as a win, or if they are thinking 20+ million.

Last edited:
Had a real close battle in rivals last night and the upgrade system actually shined, as I was constantly trying to find the perfect balance between handling and speed. Ignore their name, that had nothing to do with my commitment:
View attachment 1293239

My biggest gripe with the game is not being able to increase laps like FM7 in the career mode. Makes it almost pointless (or at least having a grid of 24) and grindy. As I would just stick to free play but if there's gonna be exclusive (?) prize cars I'll have no choice.
I didn't want qualifying before, but it would make sense now and tie it to the MP format.

Wait a minute are you serious? You can't adjust the amount of laps in this one? Wow! Welp, that sure makes me feel a lot better about getting my refund last night. The ability to increase the laps in FM7 was one of my favorite things about the career mode in that game. The fact that they removed that option is nothing short of asinine.

I think way more people will remain retained on Gamepass in FH5 than FM2023 personally.

P.S. FH5 hit 33 million users who played the game through to getting in the Hall of Fame (~10 hours of play). I have no doubt that FM2023 will never get there. I wonder if they are viewing 15 million players who put 10 hours in as a win, or if they are thinking 20+ million.
I was already assuming that from start, that the plan of FM is get a X number of people that like racing games, but prefer more track racers such as Motorsport (this number is smaller than FH, BUT STILL a big number)

I was assumming 10M considering GT has around those numbers and that FM7 had around 9M, it would put this new already as the biggest launch in FM history (for better or worst)

What worries me is how much they are depending of PC sales for it and most PC people seems not happy with it...

Last edited:
I was assumming 10M considering GT has around those numbers and that FM7 had around 9M, it would put this new already as the biggest launch in FM history (for better or worst)

It is said that FM7 has had a bit over 1 Million players

About 2 years ago I made a decision to stop watching any content from creators who put their faces on the thumbnail. I don't need to see somebody's shocked or quizzical or elated stupid face. I hate that.

Rant over. I clicked on this video because there was no face on it but I was interested and I think it's excellent and fair.

Because I don't have a lot of history with Forza games (even though I've played them I haven't played them extensively because I was a big PC2 guy on PS5) it was hard for me to relate to those of you who posted that there's a lot of reused content.

Between your posts and this video I'm thinking I might be asking for a refund myself.

I fell hook like and sinker for that tagline "built from the ground up". I'm really disappointed in turn 10 and I'm especially disappointed in myself for being a sucker

Today I've had great fun creating custom races for my track toys (Bac Mono, Vühl, etc.) and one of the coolest things is watching both weather and time progression in action, say, start under rain at dawn and finish mid-morning (2x accelerated time) with a clear sky and the racing lane clearly drying out; or start in late afternoon and finish at night, the transitions are seamless!

My PC performance has been a steady 80 fps on average @ 1080p. I moved the Series X to an OLED LG C1 display, and while looking and playing great, I have to point out that currently in-game HDR adjustments seem to be broken. Anyways, the game supports Dolby Vision.

Yesterday after I left the game for a break I found a yellow screen image saying 50 laps and showing a picture of a Mercedes group C car. Does anybody know where I can find that?

Today I've had great fun creating custom races for my track toys (Bac Mono, Vühl, etc.) and one of the coolest things is watching both weather and time progression in action, say, start under rain at dawn and finish mid-morning (2x accelerated time) with a clear sky and the racing lane clearly drying out; or start in late afternoon and finish at night, the transitions are seamless!

I'm glad you posted because I completely forgot about custom races. without having really great cars that I'm interested in to use in the career mode I can use them in custom races.

I only did one custom race the first day I got the game and I was disappointed I couldn't set multipliers for fuel and tire wear. Then I got wrapped up in career and completely forgot about custom races.

Thank you

Well tonight I've had great fun playing multiplayer, which tbh is something I never do. Most people seemed to be well behaved, I like the 20 odd minutes given for practice and qualifying, I like that after quali, (only 3 Laps allowed), you can carry on practicing until the race starts. It felt like GTS, (which I only dabbled with in the beginning), only much better everything, sounds, handling, penalty system. It's funny, this game definitely is a sleeper hit, despite my earlier thoughts it feels great on a controller and way more stable than previous FMs, it gives great feedback and confidence to push yourself. I love the feeling of the brakes, feeling the car become unstable under heavy braking just before locking up, you can really sense it. All good, I think this game will only improve over time. Playing on Series X.

PS, got my first win on a multiplayer race as well!
Perhaps I will continue online for once.

Last edited:
Online has been really clean so far and people have been behaving well. Managed to get a pair of podiums during the 3 required qualifying races too. Though once everyone else arrives that good behavior will likely go downhill real fast.

It is said that FM7 has had a bit over 1 Million players
Pre Game Pass and that game was an absolute mess.

I think the motorsport titles have been on a steady player decline since Forza Motorsport 4.

I think 4 was 11 million, 5 was 6 million, 6 was 3 million and 7 was around 1 million, but I don’t have a source to back that up (I’m recalling an old graph on Kudosprime). Horizon was outperforming Motorsport since Forza Horizon 3 and then Forza Horizon 4 was breaking all records, and 5 even moreso.

Last edited:
I finally got around to plugging in my G29 and man, the game really feels good on a wheel. I didn't think they actually would've improved anything but its night and day from the old forza games. The only other game I've played that feels this good on a wheel is ACC. I know there's others having wheel issues where they don't feel anything, have dead zones etc., that's how my wheel felt in all the previous ones so I understand the frustration. But when it works, it's really good. I'm considering switching from controller to wheel. Previous games I always had an issue where I couldn't tell what the car was doing unless I used AWD, if anyone experienced that too. In this one though I specifically tried a "slow" rwd and a fast rwd and they both gave me information from oversteer.

Last edited:
Pre Game Pass and that game was an absolute mess.

I think the motorsport titles have been on a steady player decline since Forza Motorsport 4.

I think 4 was 11 million, 5 was 6 million, 6 was 3 million and 7 was around 1 million, but I don’t have a source to back that up (I’m recalling an old graph on Kudosprime). Horizon was outperforming Motorsport since Forza Horizon 3 and then Forza Horizon 4 was breaking all records, and 5 even moreso.
When you put it like that, it makes sense that the T10 team simply don't have as much manpower as PG when it comes to QA testing and polishing FM2023 versus FH5.

Sure, T10 makes the game engine (for FH and also Flight Simulator I believe), and they share car modellers (and probably scenery object art) with FH, but the sheer level of polish which can be given to a game with a 30+ million user number is always going to be higher no matter how Microsoft treats T10 as a first party studio.

Online races are good now because it's only the people who could afford to shell out the money to get early access. lol
Wait until the kiddies get their hands on this after the 10th. :D
At least there's ranking though.

Custom Races are no longer crashing for me thankfully, I turned my PC off and on and turned DLSS and RT on and that seemed to fix the issue for some reason.
SbOpabx.png

Having a blast with the custom semi-endurance races, I plan on also doing one for roadcars aswell as the GTX/Silhouette cars next. :cool:

Great! I was gonna say. Just did a 20 lapper on Indy in the TCR cars. It works.

Last edited:
When you put it like that, it makes sense that the T10 team simply don't have as much manpower as PG when it comes to QA testing and polishing FM2023 versus FH5.

Sure, T10 makes the game engine (for FH and also Flight Simulator I believe), and they share car modellers (and probably scenery object art) with FH, but the sheer level of polish which can be given to a game with a 30+ million user number is always going to be higher no matter how Microsoft treats T10 as a first party studio.
I wouldn’t be so quick to equate the number of launch-day bugs to the size of a QA team. You could have a team twice as big and all it could really end up with are twice as many bugs spotted for a dev team to fix in the same amount of time.

Short of directly referencing the credits list for both games we don’t know how much QA was being done anyway, plus there’s other factors like the game engine being updated, more complexity under the hood, the entire game running hot (it got publicly delayed afterall) etc.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be so quick to equate the number of launch-day bugs to the size of a QA team.

Short of directly referencing the credits list for both games we don’t know how much QA was being done anyway, plus there’s other factors like the game engine being updated, more complexity under the hood etc.
yeah, I understand that this is basically a new engine which T10 will be intending to use in FM, future FH and Flight Simulator games (and probably Fable too). And as the first iteration there's bound to be a lot of work debugging it.

But in general if T10 and PG both ask Microsoft for resources, the difference in Gamepass retention numbers is going to be at the back of many minds.

Online races are good now because it's only the people who could afford to shell out the money to get early access. lol
£13 for a month of Game Pass plus £27 for the Premium Add-Ons would do it.

£13 for a month of Game Pass plus £27 for the Premium Add-Ons would do it.
Oh right, I forgot, every kids parents are shelling out the money anyways for them to have gamepass. What's the extra 27 gonna hurt. Might as well. :D
We have bigger fish to fry though then some brats on multiplayer. I did 10 laps on Nurbs with AI on 6. Came in 2nd and the Aston Martin Vantage was 35 seconds ahead of me in 1st. If there was any wonder if there is rubber banding in FM, I would say there is not. lol Yikes. 😳 I'll take the 2nd but maybe a better BoP? I'll have to play around with this and see if this is a consistent performance for the AM. At least I finally got my Ford GT GTLM dialed in. The default setup is not that great at all.

Last edited:
Oh right, I forgot, every kids parents are shelling out the money anyways for them to have gamepass. What's the extra 13-27 gonna hurt. Might as well.
Could also be less about the cost and more about not wanting to clear 100GB of space off their console's storage until some influencer tells them to play it they have reviews to make a decision on.

5. Replay system appears unchanged in a decade and definitely doesn’t look as good as what Gran Turismo put out.
For FM8 it actually is worse than FM7, in terms of functionality. Now the positional tracker doesn't update live during the replay, it is based on where the cars finish at the end of the race. That means that, unless you recognize the livery on the car you are trying to find, it's pretty annoying to choose the specific car you want to watch because you have to pick based on where it finished, not where it currently sits while viewing the replay.

Also, I can't find a way to use the right stick to look around the car when viewing the replay in chase cam? Many people probably won't notice because they will use the (still not great) cinematic/TV style camera angles, but it's a pretty nice tool for organized racing to review incidents.

Over the years the only real change to the replay system was the replays getting shorter. In the 360 era the replays would last about 45 minutes, during the XB1 era they would only last about 23 minutes, and in FM7 if there was rain they would only last about 10 minutes. Haven't tried to run a long race and save and see how long they last this time.
It's nice to finally be able to enjoy those kinds of cars in an FM title. All of those superlight track toy things in FM7 drove like absolute garbage, but the ones I've tried so far in FM8 are alright. I checked the Lotus 3-Eleven out last night, and while I was using my controller for FM8 and use my wheel for AC, its handling characteristics were a lot like AC with heavy on-throttle understeer.

The time of day stuff is great... While it doesn't actually make the racing better, something just feels much more "epic" about racing into the darkness.

The weather stuff I've had a more mixed bag on... I don't like that we can't choose multiple weather conditions now, or that we can't choose starting conditions for changeable weather. The FM7 system was overly rigid and somewhat predictable, and I was really hoping for more freedom to configure weather in FM8, not less...

Last edited:
Back