Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 14,440 comments
It's funny that you put it that way because I've always said that GT7 and Forza on a wheel feels like a flat tire or driving on underinflated balloons. It's like you never make contact with the road and you're floating. Keep turning the wheel, nothing happens, keep turning the wheel in AC or AMS2 or rF2 and the car keeps reacting. Weird that the opposite take would be had on a controller.
I think a lot of the issue, even in older Forza games (the only way I can rationalize people liking it), is just a compatibility difference between wheels. In FM'23 it seems like everyone with a Moza R12(R11?) is complaining about the FFB but a lot of us plebs with cheaper wheels think it feels good. I'm the opposite for AC where I think it feels awful on wheel and controller. On wheel it basically feels like earlier Forza games to me. But then I get other people telling me it's amazing. I can only take their word for it even if I don't like it. I really like the way ACC feels though on both wheel and controller.

Last edited:
I think a lot of the issue, even in older Forza games (the only way I can rationalize people liking it), is just a compatibility difference between wheels. In FM'23 it seems like everyone with a Moza R12(R11?) is complaining about the FFB but a lot of us plebs with cheaper wheels think it feels good. I'm the opposite for AC where I think it feels awful on wheel and controller. On wheel it basically feels like earlier Forza games to me. But then I get other people telling me it's amazing. I can only take their word for it even if I don't like it. I really like the way ACC feels though on both wheel and controller.
There's a lot of settings in AC and CM adds even more. If people thought FM had a lot of settings. :)
I have a DD2. AC feels wonderful, ACC feels wonderful. Forza Motorsport feels wonderful. I took the time to learn what makes the wheel feel the way it does in the Fanatec settings. Therefore shortcomings in the games feeling you can know where to try and regain or weed out. Don't get me wrong, Forza and at a slightly lesser extent, GT7 both feel good, they just aren't doing the physics calculations that are being transferred to FFB like full on sims are doing. This can be noticed when cresting over a hill in GT7, sometimes I feel that through the wheel but sometimes my eyes are telling me I went over a hill, the car is somewhat telling me it that it has gone lightweight and then settled back down but the wheel is absent of any feel of this. In contrast, AMS2, if I see my car bump, I feel it it in the wheel, what you see is what you feel. The left and right forces on the FFB is the suspension compressing, not a canned rubberband stretching effect that just gets harder the more I turn the wheel.

I'm still trying to relearn how to use a controller though. I've notice that FM has like 3 sets of physics working (maybe? almost?)
They have wheel physics, no doubt there. They have controller physics but the physics change whether you're inside the car or using chase view. I swear that they are 2 different experience because I have to change my inputs on a controller the minute I switch from one to the other. I thought it maybe psychological to being in and out of the car but I think it's a lot easier to drive the cars in chase view. This is where I've experience the most understeer in the physics compared to being in cockpit view and on wheel in cockpit or dash. (This happens on a wheel with chase view too but it's silly using a wheel and chase view at the same time)

The thing about wheel FFB is that there are two schools of thought:
  1. Only display the forces which you would legitimately feel through a wheel
  2. Add in forces and effects which you would feel through your seat, since almost nobody has buttkickers mounted under their racing seat to display those forces more properly

AC/ACC FFB is very much type (2), but some people don't like that. They prefer a more pure set of forces without mixing in extras which shouldn't really be there. Forza is closer to type (1) in this respect.

Right or wrong in this is tricky. There is plenty to be said for both sides.

None of this is real. This is driving digital cars on a screen. Do I want as much feedback as I can get to tell me what the car is doing, of course. That's all we have and I've used buttkickers and motion before, that's kind of a different thing all together. I don't know of anyone who's been on rFactor 2 on a nice DD wheel and said "naw, that's too much, I don't want that." lol
rF2 is a wonderful experience of FFB that truly tells you what the car is doing. Forza is a game. Let's be real here. If Forza all the sudden felt like rF2, there wouldn't be a single person complaining and you'd hear a lot of "wow" more than "that's too much".

2. Add in forces and effects which you would feel through your seat, since almost nobody has buttkickers mounted under their racing seat to display those forces more properly

AC/ACC FFB is very much type (2), but some people don't like that. They prefer a more pure set of forces without mixing in extras which shouldn't really be there. Forza is closer to type (1) in this respect.

I don't think I've ever seen it explained better.

Strangely I only get 1 in AC and old Forza, but I get 2 in ACC and FM which is why I like those two.

Regarding lost progress... I noticed it tends to happen when i change the amount of fuel and tire compound before a single player race. The game just sort of stops working, with loading for free play and multiplayer stuck in infinite loops. Once I restart the game and leave the fuel and tire compound alone, game works like a charm

I no longer have crash in menu so far, but I do have some strange shadow flickering on car and tracks in some condition

Another discovery I've made, if you change the exhaust on a "premium model" the sound change, on a "standard model", nothing changes
No mention to the poor quality of theses models and the impossibly to open hood etc...

Built from the ground up they says ..

The career mode is a bit boring except featured tour, no cash prize, I have more fun With free races, this is not helped with AI, sometimes really nice and sometimes (too much for my taste) completely stupid

Having thought about lost progress and a whole host of issues many have and some don't, beyond the difference in hardware and store versions- I think it's a server-side issue with this always online nonsense. I basically only play weekend mornings in North America- not exactly gaming prime time, so the load on the Azure servers would tend to be quite low compared to Saturday night. Or almost any night, really. Also, my sessions tend to be fairly short, usually an hour or two.

Interesting... I've been setting all my cars to auto drive to see which of my cars, in each respective class, are quicker under AI.

So watching the telemetry 'live', my M4's fronts were exceeding 90degC.

Watching the same telemetry, same corners, on replay, they never exceeded 79decC.

Edit:
Even weirder, the temps seem crossed up.
60a5c250-215e-4908-bdb6-7ea2db770625.png

This is a right hander at Watkins Glen, but the right front temps are way higher and climbing.
Same issue for left corners where the left fronts climb.

But either way, on a clockwise track, the rights shouldn't, on average be higher than the lefts?

Last edited:
This video explains a lot about why multiplayer can be so frustrating sometimes. In the last race it seems like the player who got 1st was actually rated 4900 while Devon had 1684 and he gained +1743 rating from that single race.

ELO/TrueSkill really seems to struggle when you have big grids of players. It’s more suited to 1v1.

F1 23 had a decent ranked system this year. When you start the week you are put into a pool of 100 similarly ranked players. You can compete against anyone you want (from the entire player pool, split by safety rating), but your ranking is against that 100, and the top players get promoted.

It eventually filters people into decent skill brackets (in theory).

Last edited:
Just wondering if the movement of the windscreen wipers is simulated in FM23? Went for a quick race in test drive mode on Spa and the wipers were not working, even in heavy rain...

Just wondering if the movement of the windscreen wipers is simulated in FM23? Went for a quick race in test drive mode on Spa and the wipers were not working, even in heavy rain...
FM23 has 3 different levels of rain which interact with the wipers differently:
  • Very light rain, causes minimal streaks just gets easily removed. Not sure if wipers are constant or intermittent here.
  • Somewhat heavier rain, needs to be removed by the wipers but doesn't affect visibility much. The area outside the wipers gets dirtier
  • Heavy rain, lots of rain being moved, the area outside the wipers gets very dirty

Sadly the effects are only "decent" to me. After Driveclub nothing else has come close unfortunately.

Last edited:
FM23 has 3 different levels of rain which interact with the wipers differently:
  • Very light rain, causes minimal streaks just gets easily removed. Not sure if wipers are constant or intermittent here.
  • Somewhat heavier rain, needs to be removed by the wipers but doesn't affect visibility much. The area outside the wipers gets dirtier
  • Heavy rain, lots of rain being moved, the area outside the wipers gets very dirty

Sadly the effects are only "decent" to me. After Driveclub nothing else has come close unfortunately.
Sorry I'm confused. Do they work or not? I tried light and heavy rain and they don't move. Either in the M4 Competition or the Le Mans GTA...

Sorry I'm confused. Do they work or not? I tried light and heavy rain and they don't move. Either in the M4 Competition or the Le Mans GTA...
Nope its bugged in some custom modes and some career races, just like the RT reflections and RTAO. You can test it in freeplay, do a test drive race and a timed custom race. You will see that it will work in timed custom race but not in the test drive mode. And this is all with the same tod and weather settings ofcourse.

It's a bug. Sometimes wipers not working.

Speaking of bugs theres a bug in freeplay and it seems to be a carryover from FM7 where I tried to do a forza P2 race and set it up where every p2 is on the grid but it seems like the mazda bugs the field. No matter how much I customized the settings, even myself using the lola mazda, it wont allow all the p2 cars on field at once which is weird. The closest I got was having the lola mazda( a bunch of them) , the two DP's and the new oreca but the old oreca was left out. I think a remedy for this is T10 allowing us the freedom to hand pick the grid from 1st to 24th no matter the car or class, its time they make this happen. Seen this bug way too many times now in different classes and settings. Another one is the use of AI cars having different liveries on them which rarely happens in freeplay.

Last edited:
Speaking of bugs theres a bug in freeplay and it seems to be a carryover from FM7 where I tried to do a forza P2 race and set it up where every p2 is on the grid but it seems like the mazda bugs the field. No matter how much I customized the settings, even myself using the lola mazda, it wont allow all the p2 cars on field at once which is weird. The closest I got was having the lola mazda( a bunch of them) , the two DP's and the new oreca but the old oreca was left out. I think a remedy for this is T10 allowing us the freedom to hand pick the grid from 1st to 24th no matter the car or class, its time they make this happen. Seen this bug way too many times now in different classes and settings. Another one is the use of AI cars having different liveries on them which rarely happens in freeplay.
Here's another free play "bug" that irritates.
Choose random pole in the options... by random it means 12th, 12th, 12th or 12th...

FORZA MOTORSPORT - STEAMDB - UPDATE - 3 days ago

• CADILLAC #31 WHELEN RACING DPI-V.R 2021
  • LOTUS #1 TEAM TYPE 40 1965
  • FORD #15 ROUSH RACING WHISTLER MUSTANG 1991
  • BUICK #6 PERFORMANCE MOTORSPORTS SOMERSET REGAL TRANS-AM 1985
  • CHEVROLET #23 RURAN RACING TA CORVETTE 2018
  • MERCEDES-AMG GT3 2018
  • PEGEOUT #7 DG SPORT COMPETITION 308 2018
  • MCLAREN #03 720S GT3 2019

LINK: https://steamdb.info/app/2440510/linked/

Attachments

• 2021 Cadillac #31 Whelen Racing DPi-V.R.png
    2021 Cadillac #31 Whelen Racing DPi-V.R.png
    187.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 2019 McLaren #03 720S GT3.png
    2019 McLaren #03 720S GT3.png
    152.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2018 Peugeot #7 DG Sport Compétition 308.png
    2018 Peugeot #7 DG Sport Compétition 308.png
    392.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 2018 Mercedes-AMG GT3.png
    2018 Mercedes-AMG GT3.png
    81 KB · Views: 13
  • 2018 Chevrolet #23 Ruman Racing TA Corvette.png
    2018 Chevrolet #23 Ruman Racing TA Corvette.png
    196.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 1985 Buick #6 Performance Motorsports Somerset Regal Trans-Am.png
    1985 Buick #6 Performance Motorsports Somerset Regal Trans-Am.png
    129.7 KB · Views: 9
  • MAIS CARROS - STEAM - 05-11-231.png
    MAIS CARROS - STEAM - 05-11-231.png
    40 KB · Views: 13
  • FORD #15 ROUSH RACING WHISTLER MUSTANG 1991.png
    FORD #15 ROUSH RACING WHISTLER MUSTANG 1991.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 13
  • MAIS CARROS - STEAM - 05-11-23.png
    MAIS CARROS - STEAM - 05-11-23.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 1965 Lotus #1 Team Lotus Type 40.png
    1965 Lotus #1 Team Lotus Type 40.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 13
FORZA MOTORSPORT - STEAMDB - UPDATE - 3 days ago

• CADILLAC #31 WHELEN RACING DPI-V.R 2021
  • LOTUS #1 TEAM TYPE 40 1965
  • FORD #15 ROUSH RACING WHISTLER MUSTANG 1991
  • BUICK #6 PERFORMANCE MOTORSPORTS SOMERSET REGAL TRANS-AM 1985
  • CHEVROLET #23 RURAN RACING TA CORVETTE 2018
  • MERCEDES-AMG GT3 2018
  • PEGEOUT #7 DG SPORT COMPETITION 308 2018
  • MCLAREN #03 720S GT3 2019

LINK: https://steamdb.info/app/2440510/linked/
Let's see in the stream if this is indeed the content of the next update. If it is, bring it on! :) Interesting that the Saleen S7 LM isn't here. All these cars would be highly welcome to flesh out existing divisions, and I welcome the focus on race cars a lot!

So, these 7 unreleased cars could be part of the Car Pass for Update 2/3, given the SteamDB Leaks:
  • 1965 Lotus #1 Team Lotus Type 40
  • 1985 Buick #6 Performance Motorsports Somerset Regal Trans-Am
  • 2018 Chevrolet #23 Ruman Racing TA Corvette
  • 2018 Mercedes-AMG GT3
  • 2019 McLaren #03 720S GT3
  • 2021 Cadillac #31 Whelen Racing DPi-V.R
  • 2018 Peugeot #7 DG Sport Compétition 308

Last edited:
100% are race cars. Would be strange for the car pass to lack any road cars for so long.

Furthermore if both the AMG and 720S GT3 are paid extras I can just imagine the complaints. I suspect one of them will be a free update, if T10 has any sense. After all, the Audi and Acura GT3s were already paid extras as was the 911 GT3-R and the faster touring cars.

McLaren and Mercedes GT3 models? Great!

As an Aaron Cameron fan (he races in Aussie TCR) I look forward to getting my hands on the Peugeot.

Damn I think I need to go ahead and get this car pass then lol. So many nice racing cars being dropped in and im just loving the love that classic and modern trans-am is getting. If there is one thing T10 is doing good thus far, ( leaks included) its the cars being/will be added.

Let's see in the stream if this is indeed the content of the next update. If it is, bring it on! :) Interesting that the Saleen S7 LM isn't here. All these cars would be highly welcome to flesh out existing divisions, and I welcome the focus on race cars a lot!
Most likely the next batch of car pass cars. We know the Mustang is next and already in the game, I've raced against it.

Shame the AMG GT3 is already, what, 3 years out of date?

If the car pass is going to be majority race cars, I could see the Builders Cup updates receiving mostly road cars.
Isnt the AMG GT3 still being used in various racing series though? Might be outdated a little bit but its still a current racer just like the Lexus RCF GT3.

Latest Posts

Back