Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 14,440 comments
The graphics look ok but at the extent of a game that is so unoptimized, I get better framerate on ACC which was at one time considered the most resource intensive sim out.
You're comparing a game that's been out since 2018. Go back to the PC specs at launch in 2018 and you'll know why ACC runs better now than it did almost 6 years ago. Games evolve, run on different engines and utilize hardware differently. I don't have any issues with framerate while playing this game. It holds within 10fps no matter the scenario and regardless of how hard I push my GPU.

The fact that it was released needed update after update to optimize a game that was being worked on for supposedly so long means it wasn't polished. (AMS2 still looks better than this washed out mess to me)
Name 1 racing SIM that released with this much content that was "polished" at launch. PC2, PC3, GT7 all launched with similar content and had tons of bugs and issues. And GT7 only had to launch on Playstation.

When I have an E rated car on Indy Oval braking in a corner where the car doesn't even need to lift off the throttle one bit, with no other cars in sight, there's an issue going on. Ridiculously unpolished.
This had always been an issue with Forza in general. Not just FM23. The cars come with extremely bad tires that make handling a challenge. Not sure why, but it's always been an issue with FM titles.

When people have an S Rating and somehow other rammers are still getting S ratings for some reason. Unpolished.
Complaining about the driver rating / penalty system is something you can do for all SIM games. The fact that it's there now is a massive leap forward. I have yet to encounter what I would consider "a bad enough experience in MP, to call their DR / SR system unpolished". It's way better than GT7's.

Not even to mention that cars with a shifter - should have a shifter be the setting. Cars with sequential or paddles, should have those already set. What type of nonsense is this?
Speaking of nonsense, cars with TC should have TC and those that don't, don't. Why do I have to go into settings to constantly change this?
Repeat this with ABS.
Unpolished.
Have any of these options ever been in a Forza game. I know AC allows you to select what the vehicle actually has, but calling them unpolished if they have never been present, makes no sense.

And for one of the biggest, why does a polished game need over 200 fixes in the first place. That is an obnoxious amount for something that's polished.
I really think you guys are confusing the term "polished" with perfect.

1699984834678.png

Forza Motorsport Update 2 Release Notes – November 14, 2023​

Forza Motorsport Update 2 Release Notes – November 14, 2023

We're working to improve your Forza Motorsport experience. Below you will find a summary of new content and features, as well as items fixed or improved upon in Update 2.

New Content, Features and Events [All Platforms]

New Track

• Yas Marina: Full Circuit, North Corkscrew, North Circuit, South Circuit.
New Career Events

• Prestige Tour (Available from Nov. 16, 2023 – Dec. 28, 2023)
    • British GT Series (Starts Nov. 16)
    • V12 Power Series (Starts Nov. 23)
    • Maximum Velocity Series (Starts Nov. 30)
    • Boutique Builds Series (Starts Dec. 7)
  • Open Class – Italian Manufacturers (Available from Nov. 16, 2023 – Dec. 14, 2023)
    • C Class Series
    • B Class Series
    • A Class Series
    • S Class Series
Reward Cars

• Prestige Tour: 2011 Lamborghini Sesto Elemento
  • Open Class Series: 2015 Ferrari 488 GTB
Spotlight Cars

• 2013 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S (Nov. 16 – Nov. 22)
  • 2016 Lamborghini Aventador Superveloce (Nov. 23– Nov. 29)
  • 2017 Mazda MX-5 Cup (Nov. 23– Nov. 29)
  • 2011 Bugatti Veyron Super Sport (Nov. 30 – Dec. 6)
  • 2017 Saleen S7 LM (Dec. 7 – Dec. 13)
  • 2016 Spania GTA Spano (Dec. 7 – Dec. 13)
  • 2020 MG #20 MG6 XPower (Dec. 7 – Dec. 13)
  • 2022 Gordon Murray Automotive T.50 (Dec. 7 – Dec. 13)
Car Pass Cars

• 1965 Lotus #1 Team Lotus Type 40 (Nov. 16)
  • 2019 McLaren #03 720S GT3 (Nov. 23)
  • 2018 Mercedes-AMG GT3 (Nov. 30)
  • 2019 Peugeot #7 DG Sport Compétition 308 (Dec. 7)
New Multiplayer Events

• Vintage Le Mans Sportscars (Nov. 16 – Nov. 22)
  • Subaru BRZ Spec Series (Nov. 23– Nov. 29)
  • The Birth of Grand Prix – (Nov. 30 – Dec. 6)
  • Forza P2 Series – (Dec. 7 – Dec. 13)
New Rivals Events

• Featured Track: Yas Marina – 2020 Koenigsegg Jesko – Yas Marina Full Circuit (Nov. 16 – Dec. 13)
  • VIP: High Velocity – 2019 Hyundai Veloster N Forza Edition – Lime Rock Full Circuit Alt (Nov. 16 – Dec. 13)
  • Spotlight – 2013 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S – Mugello Club Circuit (Nov. 16 – Nov. 22)
  • Spotlight – 2016 Lamborghini Aventador Superveloce – Hakone Grand Prix Circuit (Nov. 23– Nov. 29)
  • Spotlight – 2011 Bugatti Veyron Super Sport – Yas Marina North Circuit (Nov. 30 – Dec. 6)
  • Spotlight – 2022 Gordon Murray Automotive T.50 – Silverstone International Circuit (Dec. 7 – Dec. 13)

Bug Fixes and Improvements

Stability [All Platforms]

• Many fixes to improve overall game stability and reduce crashes across all platforms.

Livery Editor [All Platforms]

• Fixed issue where players can view and unlock tunes and vinyls shared by other players. [1626544]
  • Fixed issue causing black paint shade to show up as grey instead of black. [1604400]
  • Fixed issue where only the inner barrel on factory rims is paintable. [1538143]
  • Fixed issue where livery and tune creators would not be displayed in Private Multiplayer when viewing the vehicle information.
  • Fixed issue where “Likes” would not be counted for shared liveries. [1588482]
PC

• Fixed issue requiring shaders to recompile every time Forza Motorsport is started on AMD chipsets. Note: This fix requires the latest AMD drivers to be downloaded for your graphics card. [1607128]
  • Fixed specific game crash that occurs if headphones are plugged into the front panel. [1620048]
  • Fixed an issue on Steam where the player could not exit the Builders Cup Intro Series and return to the main menu without restarting the game. [1608859]
  • Improvements to alleviate track textures disappearing when playing on certain PC hardware configurations. [1615983]
Note: We’re investigating an issue where in specific scenarios, players running an AMD GPU might encounter a slight impact to their framerate during gameplay.

Multiplayer [All Platforms]

• Fixes to matchmaking as a group, party management, and invites and joins across multiplayer.
  • Fixes to ensure custom liveries show up more consistently across multiplayer game modes.
  • Fixes to address cases where Intermission/Launch Countdown would take much longer than expected before the start of multiplayer races.
  • Fixes to automatic wet tire selection when entering an event, and fixes to fuel estimation logic. [1582678]
  • Fixes to title stability when resuming from a suspended state on console. [1500737]
  • Fixed issue in the Featured Multiplayer menu where countdown timer would appear on Series that had not yet started. [1616271]
  • Adjusted event schedule to provide more variation in Event start times.
  • Fixed issue where Race End timer did not appear for players who had already finished the race. [1482776]
  • Fixed exploit where players could load into any Open Class event with a P Class vehicle if they matchmake while in a party. [1608740]
Gameplay [All Platforms]

• Fixed an issue where players could encounter an infinite loading screen when saving a Quick Upgrade in the Builders Cup Career Mode. [1632115]
  • Resolved an exploit related to changing car tune mid-race. [1631855]
  • Fixed issue where the game becomes stuck in the “new content update” loop when entering the main menu. [1635561]
  • Resolved issue where the game would fail to reconnect if connection is lost during the initial races on Maple Valley or Hakone. [1607172]
  • Fixes to Replays in scenarios where Replays do not start playing, the cars do not move, or they float. [1598248]
  • Fixed issue with a forced camera change at the start of a race. [1551469]
  • Fixed a number of Builders Cup exploits allowing high class cars into lower class series and events. [1616897]
  • Fixed issues related to loss of progression or save data.
  • Fixed a number of visual scene transitions
  • Fixed a bug where replaying a series with a high standing didn’t replace the series trophy with the improved trophy. [1597484]
  • Improved balancing and overall impact of slipstream effect between cars in races.
  • Fixed issue where player would not receive credits or Driver XP when using a rental car in a Rivals event. [1634738]
Cars [All Platforms]

• Fixed issue with the 2018 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS Sport Roll Cage visual upgrade option, which removes the roof of the car when viewed in first-person. [1608113]
  • Fixed tuning stat comparison indicators within the car upgrades menu. [1555287]
  • Fixed issue where incorrect car thumbnails would be displayed in the My Cars menu after a race. [1607398]
Accessibility [All Platforms]

• Fixes applied to numerous scenarios where narrator voiceovers would be missing, incorrect or would stop playing. [1489012]
Wheels [All Platforms]

• Fixed issue that prevented the Thrustmaster T248 LED screen from displaying race position information. [1608680]

8.87GB on Win Store

Last edited:
<..> (AMS2 still looks better than this washed out mess to me) <...>
To pick up on this specific point: Are you using HDR on your PC with FM23?

The reason that I ask is because I'm using HDR screens on both Xbox and PC, and the only time it even looks slightly washed out to me is at noon on race tracks in hot countries. The rest of the time it doesn't.

Now console users in general are likely to have 4k HDR TVs when playing FM23, but I suspect many PC users are still stuck on SDR screens, and I suspect that FM23 simply doesn't look so great like that (rather like FH5 which also looks WAY better in HDR). So I'm interested in confirmation.

If you are using HDR and it's still washed out, what kind of brightness setting do you have? I'm using HDR brightness 30 on my DisplayHDR400 PC panel.

Edit: 8.9GB PC patch now downloading.

Last edited:

The reason that I ask is because I'm using HDR screens on both Xbox and PC, and the only time it even looks slightly washed out to me is at noon on race tracks in hot countries. The rest of the time it doesn't.

Now console users in general are likely to have 4k HDR TVs when playing FM23, but I suspect many PC users are still stuck on SDR screens, and I suspect that FM23 simply doesn't look so great like that (rather like FH5 which also looks WAY better in HDR). So I'm interested in confirmation.

If you are using HDR and it's still washed out, what kind of brightness setting do you have? I'm using HDR brightness 30 on my DisplayHDR400 PC panel.
I'm on triple 1440p 165Hz monitors with Nvidia Surround. The monitors are HDR but Nvidia Surround doesn't support HDR. I don't think the game looks washed out at all. It's why I'm so confused about people saying the game looks bad. My monitors are G-Sync monitors and not FreeSync. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Edit: 8.9GB PC patch now downloading.
Are you seriously saying that PC users are on SDR screens but console players are using 4k HDR screens? Yes I have HDR screens. It's on an LG CX right now while I get my triples setup. I've used it with HDR and without.
I don't know of any of my friends who have Standard Definition screens with their PC's. I do however know people with consoles that plug them into any TV they have. If anything, that statement is backwards.
Yes mid day is washed out. Fog is washed out and the cars look weird. There's many instances of this. Sure certain times of day, like dawn or sunset look nice. Not sure what my setting is but whatever they asked me to do looking at an F in two pictures, I did. Last time I used FM, I was on Mid Ohio and the track just looked, not right. The red wasn't right. It's like there's a film all over everything. It's not right.
And whether or not someone is using one setting or another, why would there be only one setting that should work?
Saying, oh, you should only use these settings really isn't a positive for the game in the first place.

Are you seriously saying that PC users are on SDR screens but console players are using 4k HDR screens? Yes I have HDR screens. It's on an LG CX right now while I get my triples setup. I've used it with HDR and without.
I don't know of any of my friends who have Standard Definition screens with their PC's. I do however know people with consoles that plug them into any TV they have. If anything, that statement is backwards.
Yes mid day is washed out. Fog is washed out and the cars look weird. There's many instances of this. Sure certain times of day, like dawn or sunset look nice. Not sure what my setting is but whatever they asked me to do looking at an F in two pictures, I did. Last time I used FM, I was on Mid Ohio and the track just looked, not right. The red wasn't right. It's like there's a film all over everything. It's not right.
And whether or not someone is using one setting or another, why would there be only one setting that should work?
Saying, oh, you should only use these settings really isn't a positive for the game in the first place.
Only trying to help... The HDR tuning panel is extremely poor in FM23, so I was pointing out that lowering brightness (when there's seemingly no visual benefit to do so in the tuning screen) seems to help in getting colours looking more normal.

And yes, I agree with you that fog looks weird. Also when it's dark and you shine the car's headlights onto other cars they look really washed out in a way which doesn't look natural.

On the other hand, I've not noticed anything strange about Mid Ohio. Maybe I've been lucky with the times of day when I drove there?

<sigh> They can clearly keep the old and new Open championships up at the same time in game, but they still have to have the old one leaving just for "FOMO" - to get users to keep logging into Gamepass each week:

1699987829564.png

Edit: Why does the Featured series from the last month not have an "ends 1D" timer???
1699988129267.png

Last edited:
Only trying to help... The HDR tuning panel is extremely poor in FM23, so I was pointing out that lowering brightness (when there's seemingly no visual benefit to do so in the tuning screen) seems to help in getting colours looking more normal.

And yes, I agree with you that fog looks weird. Also when it's dark and you shine the car's headlights onto other cars they look really washed out in a way which doesn't look natural.

On the other hand, I've not noticed anything strange about Mid Ohio. Maybe I've been lucky with the times of day when I drove there?

I don't know. Update downloading. I guess we'll see what get's fixed and how the performance is improved.
Seems like this game is going to be starved for career races at this rate. I'm not saying they need to add Missions, Circuit Experiences or License Tests, but could we have something to do with the content in game? Is their thought that everyone is supposed to just do free races and be happy with it? Rivals to me gets old. Championships? I guess if the whole career is going to be random championships at least allow us to create our own.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused about the spotlight cars. Where exactly do you find them?
Spotlight Cars are purchased from the dealer, but I think they only arrive from the week in which they are spotlighted.
They should be in the "Featured" section, but right now it's still showing last months:
1699987912635.png

Since the old Open Championship will leave in 1 day and 5 hours, I suspect the new showcase cars will start arriving then?

Last edited:
What's your performance on PC after update Guys?

Mine seems to be downgraded... graphics settings keep resetting DLSS to FSR on every launch causing some random screen flashing in main menu, that wasn't the case pre-update.

Also, FPS in benchmark and during the race seem to be 5-10 lower than previously.

As a long term fan of the series I'm now really disappointed, had a high hopes for this patch but I think we'll need another one very shortly.

Mine seems to be downgraded... graphics settings keep resetting DLSS to FSR on every launch causing some random screen flashing in main menu, that wasn't the case pre-update.

Also, FPS in benchmark and during the race seem to be 5-10 lower than previously.

As a long term fan of the series I'm now really disappointed, had a high hopes for this patch but I think we'll need another one very shortly.
Great. Somehow I was expecting to hear this. 😂

Seems to be better for me, atleast in 1% lows.

Everything is snappier.

So I was getting the random screen flashing from the main menu (actually all menus) after the first 'fix'. In xbox.

So maybe the new update has brought you 'FM Console Edition' :grumpy: 🤣

I'm downloading but after a 14 hour workday I'm not even gonna look tonight!

Track loading times on PC seem to be much longer (on my NVMe SSD). EDIT: load time seems normal now after a game restart.

Other than that, frame rates seemed unchanged in the initial testing, and my graphics settings weren't changed from what I set before. However I did get some feeling of microstutter on the last corner of Road America just now which I wasn't getting with these settings before.

Will test more.

EDIT: After restarting the game I think that both load times and microstutter have gone away. Frame rates seem unchanged to me.

One thing I'm noticing is that the skybox clouds seem a bit worse post-update on the PC. Something about the lighting and cloud texture seems to be strange? EDIT: And in the next race the skybox was back to being fine.... Weird.

Last edited:
Try restarting the game. Track load times are back to normal for me now after loading the game a 2nd time.

It was randomly changing between FSR and DLSS for me before the update, and still is after the update. If you run the benchmark, you can see that a DLSS setting is still being applied, even though the interface isn't giving you the ability to change it. Screen flashing, yes. My BRZ '13 with wide body is still floating in the air while driving it. It still won't let me apply a 600 tune in 700 rivals so I can use it as a starting point, as 600 is illegal, but resetting to 354 stock is absolutely fine of course. It still resets your race tyres from soft to medium every time you change the build in rivals, even though there's no reason to use anything other than soft so there's really no need for the option at all, let alone keep changing it. It still doesn't let you see the power curve of a car so you have to tediously test shift points on an oval with telemetry displayed. My frame rates in the benchmark seem very similar to before the update, i.e. terrible relative to what my hardware can do in other games. Basically the update hasn't changed any of the issues that bother me personally.

Still playing the game, though.....

Not the best so far.
No performance increase. Now the menus lag and stutter. I restarted the game too.
Still can't remember my custom wheel and pedal settings even after I save them.
Cut scenes in race now stutter.
I'm not sure what these optimizations were they did but can you spare me at least 10FPS on average FFS??

One positive I can confirm. One at least. The drivatars in Free Play finally are using users custom liveries. No more 5 of the same car when racing race cars. Halleluiah praise be. Silver lining and all that.
Now if we can get a setting to show the actual car names in the leaderboard and not that ridiculous childish usernames, that's be great. I'm well over racing against MeatMissile69, thanks.

Not the best so far.
No performance increase. Now the menus lag and stutter. I restarted the game too.
Still can't remember my custom wheel and pedal settings even after I save them.
Cut scenes in race now stutter.
I'm not sure what these optimizations were they did but can you spare me at least 10FPS on average FFS??

One positive I can confirm. One at least. The drivatars in Free Play finally are using users custom liveries. No more 5 of the same car when racing race cars. Halleluiah praise be. Silver lining and all that.
Now if we can get a setting to show the actual car names in the leaderboard and not that ridiculous childish usernames, that's be great. I'm well over racing against MeatMissile69, thanks.
The AI cars in freeplay using liveries is the one of the main things I wanted them to address, glad they finally got that fixed. And as long as the cars are mixed up as stated and not half the field full of the same car thats even better.

Interesting... disabling DLSS altogether while setting up resolution scale to 100% fixed my performance issues and the game is now on the similar level of performance as it was pre-patch.

Is this DLSS implementation in FM working at all? :rolleyes:

Back in the FM4 days I asked turn10 to give us the opportunity to race the cars from our own garage equipped with our own setups and liveries. Turn10 ignored the suggestion while Kaz seems to have read the forum and liked the idea

Interesting... disabling DLSS altogether while setting up resolution scale to 100% fixed my performance issues and the game is now on the similar level of performance as it was pre-patch.

Is this DLSS implementation in FM working at all? :rolleyes:
are you cpu bottlenecked by any chance?

Is it worthy to put up an "Undocumented Changes" thread like the one in GT7? They have these 200 changes and sure as heck didn't list them all.
The custom livers in free play is a huge welcome to me and was never even mentioned. I'd like to know what else may have changed without having to searching every corner of the game.

Back