Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 14,440 comments
I play at difficulty level 7 now, and here it seems that the cars that you passed early in the race will start to catch up with you later on, which they don't do in lower difficulty levels. Still, it feels like rubber banding, so much for the claims of an improved AI. They really should hire away someone from Codemasters (or ex-Slightly Mad Studios) because Grid Legends/Project Cars AI>FM.

The new Lotus 40 game-version has never existed irl. The Ford Windsor 351cui engine wasn`t heard of until spring 1969.
The 1965 Lotus would use the same 289cui Windsor as the Shelby Monaco hotted up to 400hp by using four double Webers
on a custom intake.

The new Lotus 40 game-version has never existed irl. The Ford Windsor 351cui engine wasn`t heard of until spring 1969.
The 1965 Lotus would use the same 289cui Windsor as the Shelby Monaco hotted up to 400hp by using four double Webers
on a custom intake.
They must have scanned in whatever variant of the car they could get their hands on... The owner modified the engine?

Another glowing review:

Kind of an odd video, sure I get he's disappointed, the game hasn't met his expectations for various reasons. He spends half the video talking about some pretty minor graphical issues in the menu and complaining about the AI (with good reason), yet goes on to explain that the patch does indeed fix the 2 major issues that were plaguing most user's.

I play at difficulty level 7 now, and here it seems that the cars that you passed early in the race will start to catch up with you later on, which they don't do in lower difficulty levels. Still, it feels like rubber banding, so much for the claims of an improved AI. They really should hire away someone from Codemasters (or ex-Slightly Mad Studios) because Grid Legends/Project Cars AI>FM.
Project CARS' AI isn't any better. I remember driving in a Koenigsegg Jesko in PCARS 3 and suddenly an AI opponent in a Bugatti Chiron Sport was almost borderline cheating, and this was done on the Daytona oval. In real life, there is no way that a Bugatti Chiron will beat a Koenigsegg Jesko, let alone on a banked oval track.

Last edited:
I play at difficulty level 7 now, and here it seems that the cars that you passed early in the race will start to catch up with you later on, which they don't do in lower difficulty levels. Still, it feels like rubber banding, so much for the claims of an improved AI.
It's hard to be sure what is happening, but I don't think it's necessarily rubber banding. The AI slows down a huge amount when it encounters other cars, so I think there is an element of it going much faster as the field becomes more spread out.

on a custom intake.
In that era it was popular for Prototype and sports cars to use different engines from many different manufacturers. I remember reading recently that Huffaker motorsports from the early 60s used like 5 different engines in one of their earlier can-ams.

In that era it was popular for Prototype and sports cars to use different engines from many different manufacturers. I remember reading recently that Huffaker motorsports from the early 60s used like 5 different engines in one of their earlier can-ams.
True, but in 1965 there still wasn`t too many choises and there was no lightweight 5.8 liter awayable yet. But there were 7.0 liter
nascar engines making 600+ hp`s, they were as you said used in CanAm but not so much in European/British racers.

And while talking about 7-liters; allomost everything that`s written about the GT40MkII is wrong, the movie included:
About the Ford GT40:

The British built Mk I did not have any Le Mans sucsess, not until Carrol Shelby handed over the GT40-project to Holman-Moody in LA CA USA. Holman-Moody, who worked with Ford`s nascar & Can-AM rascecars totally rebuilt & reinforced the chassie to handle a detuned version of Fords nascar-engine, the famous FE427R sideoiler.

This +650hp raceengine was detuned to about 550hp and fit into the GT40. Wherever you look upon the web you`ll find "485hp" as the max power, but that`s a misunderstanding. Ford decided to be wery careful and instructed their drivers to low-shift at 6200rpm to keep the engines alive through the long 24 hours race. (The engine was down on 485hp at 6200rpm) But this defensive tactic led to Ferrari taking the lead so Fords driver Ken Miles decided to skip the tactic and let the 7-litre rev up to it`s nascar shiftpoints at 7400rpm. From there, the rest is history.

There seems to be a difference between the series x version (good) and the PC version which has problems.
I've personally only encountered 1 real bug in my many hours playing the PC version: If I use the car design/paint menu to for example download and install a livery, my game frame rate immediately drops by half and races become unplayable until I restart the game. I suspect this is a GPU VRAM bug (playing with an 8GB VRAM GPU).

In all other ways, the game has been stable, no graphical glitches, no stuttering, no crashes and no saved game problems.

I have no idea whether I've been lucky or whether it's just a tiny minority which were hit with real game breaking bugs like the saved game progression one. But I can say that apart from the bug I've been getting, the game has behaved fine on the PC.

True, but in 1965 there still wasn`t too many choises and there was no lightweight 5.8 liter awayable yet. But there were 7.0 liter
nascar engines making 600+ hp`s, they were as you said used in CanAm but not so much in European/British racers.

And while talking about 7-liters; allomost everything that`s written about the GT40MkII is wrong, the movie included:
Damn, the more you know moment. Good info man didnt know Ford did that but it makes sense as to why they were so dominant.

It wasn't uncommon for an older race car/chassis to be re-engined after passing to new hands (say, a privateer) or else even in factory hands for subsequent competitions. It is possible they got it wrong, of course, but it might be a car that Lotus or some private owner changed to try and compete in later years.

It's hard to be sure what is happening, but I don't think it's necessarily rubber banding. The AI slows down a huge amount when it encounters other cars, so I think there is an element of it going much faster as the field becomes more spread out.
I also think that's the reason. I've not watched a replay of a single player race so I can't say for sure but just looking at what I see in front/behind. Usually about halfway through the first lap the AI will be spread out enough to speed up. The beginning is a mess as they all fight over the same singular driving line and slow each other down. It ends up looking like rubberbanding but I think it's just more that they can drive their intended lap times after they stop "fighting".

I don't remember the AI being so bad in the early Forza games :confused:
Forza's AI has always been very basic and barebones. I know they made a big deal out of drivatars when it came out but if you go back to play the pre-drivatar games... it doesn't actually feel that much different. If anything the drivatars are just a little slower on max difficulty and drive a little less efficiently overall. The pre-drivatar AI being even more glued to the racing lines. There's for sure more subtle differences, but for the things a player would actually notice there wasn't much difference going back and looking at it.

The amount of racing games with good AI is actually extremely small. There's no F.E.A.R. for this genre, as far as I know. Maybe Sophy counts, but it's also kind of different.

I really enjoy ACC AI. Seeing them fighting each other in small groups, then slotting in to the battles while everyone is driving cleanly is just awesome. You can drive parallel to an ACC AI for multiple corners in a row, and if you give them any leeway they will retake the place. They are not perfect, but they do a lot of things very well.

Forza AI still really lacks awareness. They give you racing room if you are far enough alongside while inside them on a corner, but in so many other situations they just plow on into you even if you leave them enough room. And as we know they tend to slow down too much once you overtake them. Heck, sometimes I think that FH5 AI is more capable of battling in close proximity than FM23 AI is, which makes no sense.

Still, the lack of rubber banding or AI speed/grip cheats is noticeable in FM23. I just wish the relative lap times were more even across the whole field in addition to them being more aware of the player car and less likely to collide.

on a custom intake.
Lotus 40 registry
by looking up on the lotus 40 via this link as it mentions at the end regarding a restoration and the engine which was missing at the time "As the engine was missing, and a 351 Cleveland engine was difficult to find, a Ford 302 was prepared by Mathwall Engineering to GT40 specifications."

this could in a way explain the current day Lotus 40 No1

Lotus 40 registry
by looking up on the lotus 40 via this link as it mentions at the end regarding a restoration and the engine which was missing at the time "As the engine was missing, and a 351 Cleveland engine was difficult to find, a Ford 302 was prepared by Mathwall Engineering to GT40 specifications."

this could in a way explain the current day Lotus 40 No1
Well this was my point, there was no 351W or 302W in 1965. The 302W was launced in 1968, the 351C was launced in late summer of 1969.(ref:Bryan Adams) So it looks like someone has done some clumsy research.

Honestly does this matter that much? The car is in the game, fits well in its division, sounds good, has some decent speed, looks good and opens the door for more 60s-70s vintage racers. Theres way bigger issues in this game rather then a confusing but probably not even T10's fault, engine choice for a car thats 58 years old.

Last edited:
Honestly does this matter that much? The car is in the game, fits well in its division, sounds good, has some decent speed, looks good and opens the door for more 60s-70s vintage racers.
We will have to live with it, but to anyone who is trying to recreate some historic scenes it will be a fuzz

Last edited:
Has anyone seen this before? During the actual qualifying the top lap posted looks like cheating but then in the standings afterward its a realistic time.
Forza Motorsport Screenshot 2023.11.17 - 18.54.58.07.pngForza Motorsport Screenshot 2023.11.17 - 18.55.28.80.png

Yes, i noticed it too. Since update2 there are broken laptimes shown. Also sometimes you cant do a valid lap, it always shows the "dirty lap" symbol.

The Chevelle is lighter than the '05 Ford GT and all but one street Viper, the '19 ACR which beats it by one pound. Carbon fiber body stock?

Back