Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 14,381 comments
Wasn't Porsche absent in FM4?
There was a Porsche expansion DLC.

If you ignore the microtranctions FM5 was actually a great concise, Gran Turismo 3 like game. Quality over quantity. I still personally prefer FM4 because to me that was quality and quantity. FM6 was similarish in that regard but FM5 felt more special because it was the first next gen game and graphically it looked incredible and it still does tbh, I think it looks better than 6.

FM5 does look better than 6 and 7 and I personally also think the fact it had no night or wet races is a positive. 6, and especially 7 and 2023 are dark, bleak games which don't give you much desire to play them. How a game makes you feel emotionally is important, advertisers are well aware of this phenomenon.

I agree with the fact that the physics are the best of any Forza title so far. I'm sure there are legitimate reasons to be critical. But to say it's hands down the worst Motorsport title out there is ridiculous.
Yes, it's a little short on content as far as vehicle count goes when compared to FM4 or FM7 or Horizon 4/5.
However, those that go on about how perfect FM4 is are looking through rose tinted glasses IMO.
FM4 for one thing did not accurately simulate a 1/4 mile drag in a RWD car. I got better 1/4 mile times in a 2007 Audi S5 than a 2011 M5. It heavily favoured AWD cars and there was ridiculous wheelspin in the majority of RWD cars.
That's just one issue.
FM4 just nailed presentation. The intro movie with Clarkson was the perfect setup. It got you pumped to jump in. Even though you started in class F **** boxes the sense of speed was great, the visceral exaggerated engine notes, the slick world map transitions between the different continents you hopped between. It just felt like a well polished and slick experience

^ Respectfully disagree

Porsche was not in many racing games at this period becouse ea had an exclusive deal with Porsche, Porsche dlc was added later for fm4
I respect your opinion, but it easy to get caught into the hype, but fm4 is still considered the best forza motorsport title even now by most people, it did a lot stuff better than the new ones, everything outside of physics, multiplayer and graphics was better in fm4,

Last edited:
Stock setup is surprisingly not terrible.

1703247561331.png

Today I got XsX, game is downloading, but man, 143GB!
I just got mine too. I played FM3-4-5-6-7 religiously, but I don't get this new game.
I need to level up using each car to unlock tuning parts? Where are the S, A, B, C hoppers? Nowhere?
I'm really confused and disappointed. All I'm able to do online is a Honda Civic race.

what-why.gif

Last edited:
^ Respectfully disagree

Even more egregious, FM7 didn't have Toyota. When someone complains and says they're going back to FM7 I kinda cringe, between lack of Toyota and terrible wheel support, FM8 is a vast improvement IMO.

I know the lighting aspects have been raked over the coals so much at this point, but it's getting very dark here like the rest of the NH, and I must say, the presentation when the track has had light rain at night is absolutely bang on, the reflections on the pavement, the grain of the road surface, it's all pretty much perfect.

I do find that some tracks when its sunlight with in car view its almost blinding on the road surface. They need to tone that down. On one race I did recently I believe it was on mid-ohio I damn near went off the track because I could not see the braking zone reflectors.

I do find that some tracks when its sunlight with in car view its almost blinding on the road surface. They need to tone that down. On one race I did recently I believe it was on mid-ohio I damn near went off the track because I could not see the braking zone reflectors.
Yeah going into turn 1 at that time I can't hardly see the apex either. In FM7 VIR had the same problem into turn 1. I would just exit out and start the race all over again until it picked a better time.

I'm getting another weird problem on PC now. So for a a good while the game will be running perfectly, locked 60, about 50-70% GPU usage in races, consistent 60fps. Then all of a sudden randomly the game will start using the GPU 100% and the FPS will crash down to 40 or so, and even if I exit the race and go to the menus, we're still low FPS and 100% GPU utilization for absolutely no reason. If I then restart the game it goes back to normal and even the race it started on runs fine...until a while later where it will repeat itself.

Any idea what's going on and has anyone else had this problem?

I'm getting another weird problem on PC now. So for a a good while the game will be running perfectly, locked 60, about 50-70% GPU usage in races, consistent 60fps. Then all of a sudden randomly the game will start using the GPU 100% and the FPS will crash down to 40 or so, and even if I exit the race and go to the menus, we're still low FPS and 100% GPU utilization for absolutely no reason. If I then restart the game it goes back to normal and even the race it started on runs fine...until a while later where it will repeat itself.

Any idea what's going on and has anyone else had this problem?
Its still the same memory leak issue that we had since launch. Only now its random and happens in the menu's also instead of the standard lag after 3 races.

Its still the same memory leak issue that we had since launch. Only now its random and happens in the menu's also instead of the standard lag after 3 races.
Ohhh right I never noticed it before today how weird! Are t10 aware of the issue do you know? I hope it's fixed in update 4

Ohhh right I never noticed it before today how weird! Are t10 aware of the issue do you know? I hope it's fixed in update 4
Digital Foundry told them about it but they haven't put it in the "Known issues" page yet. However they told in one of the streams that they are working on the performance issues so thats that. Same as the missing grass, rocks and trees in the pc version compared to Xbox version. I have made a ticket with lots of pictures and evidence a month ago and they first told me that they where investigating it. After 2 months the issue is still there and they still haven't put it in the known issues page yet. And this is how they replied

"
Thank you for contacting keeping us updated and we really appreciate all the information you shared with us about the experience that you were currently facing on the game. All the information you have provided us will help us in assisting you as much as possible.

At this time, we do not have additional troubleshooting to share. We are marking this ticket as "Solved" because we have collected your information to pass to the developers to investigate. Please note that even though this ticket is marked as "solved" this issue is still under investigation with the developers."

2 months and the rocks, grass and trees are still missing on pc.

Reflectors don't actually do the reflecting part of the job. I submitted a bug report for it month 1 but it hasn't shown up on known issues still, last I checked. If you go to le mans, set it to night, you'll find out they're just regular textures that look brighter because they're bright colors.

Last edited:
I'd say it's various steps forwards and back. Calling it a tragedy when the driving physics and controller tuning are great is a bit much. Yes, they need to sort out a bunch of things, but the core driving gameplay is really good, a huge step forward from FM7.
The driving physics have been fantastic since Forza Motorsport 1 though. That's nothing "new".

No point having great controller tuning, and decent physics, when the gameplay loop is crap :drool:

Twitter trolls kicking off again

Last edited:
The driving physics have been fantastic since Forza Motorsport 1 though. That's nothing "new".

No point having great controller tuning, and decent physics, when the gameplay loop is crap :drool:

I skipped Xbox One so I can't comment on how well received it was at release, but picking up FM7 in 2021 I felt that it was severely lacking in the physics and handling areas, especially using a wheel, rewind seemed a necessity, I spun out in that game way more than in other Sims.

2 months in and I'm enjoying the gameplay loop, find it far more rewarding than FM7, without grinding I have a fairly sizable stable of cars at lvl10+ that I use for the various multiplayer lobbies, and the single player content that comes each month is enough for me without feeling like a grind. I haven't felt the need to go and lvl50 every car I want to use, and a lot of the time I'm taking stock cars into free play races which is something I really enjoy

I skipped Xbox One so I can't comment on how well received it was at release, but picking up FM7 in 2021 I felt that it was severely lacking in the physics and handling areas, especially using a wheel, rewind seemed a necessity, I spun out in that game way more than in other Sims.

2 months in and I'm enjoying the gameplay loop, find it far more rewarding than FM7, without grinding I have a fairly sizable stable of cars at lvl10+ that I use for the various multiplayer lobbies, and the single player content that comes each month is enough for me without feeling like a grind. I haven't felt the need to go and lvl50 every car I want to use, and a lot of the time I'm taking stock cars into free play races which is something I really enjoy
Yea you kinda have to make your own fun in this game

Holy **** just tried the FXX K and the car sounds soo much louder and aggressive. They have improved the sounds alot in update 3.0.
Yeah im noticing a few more cars each time I play have had their sounds improved for the better. That being said there still needs to be a dedicated sound update because there is still plenty of inaccuracies in some cars and lots of sound balances and fixes need work, example being turbocharged blow off sounds. They sound so stupid and weird on some cars that in real life dont even sound close to whats in game.

I drove the 919 for the first time since switching to Simulation steering and what have they done to this car?!? It drives like a 930 Turbo crossed with a Formula 60’s car with 900 horsepower. I tried tuning it which helped marginally but not enough to make it drivable without constant rewind. Anyone find a decent tune for this?

Bought myself a Series S for Christmas, and am seriously impressed with this little console. I've had a Series X since release, and play FM on a nice PC too, so this was just me adding an Xbox to another room (and for travelling back to my home country while my X is on a shipping container).

While the cars do certainly appear a bit blurrier than on the Series X, the clarity of the track close to your car still looks pretty great on the little S, and playing in cockpit view masks a lot of the deficiencies. For anyone on the fence about picking one up I wouldn't hesitate, it's a great little machine (even smaller than I expected it to be)

Managed to get a dashboard to connect to Forza Motorsport while playing on Xbox.

Will need to dig out an old laptop or something because using a full desktop PC just to run a SimHub dash is not a good use of energy 🙂

Related question: Where can I find SimHub dashboard templates that support Forza Motorsport?

I’m sure dashes for Forza Motorsport 7 would work too.

Don’t feel like taking the time to design my own yet, but I can see the potential.

Last edited:
I’m just using the FM7 ones on SIM Dashboard and they work well, so I think you can also try this solution.

Plus, since I have an Amazon Fire tablet (for free) that can barely run its own OS :rolleyes:, I’ve decided that this will be the perfect use for it and it works like a charm :sly:

Back