Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 14,381 comments
Anyone having trouble with the game crashing every race in featured multiplayer?

Tried 6 races tonight and the game crashed during practice in every race. Was ok earlier today and seems perfectly fine in singleplayer and rivals.

Last edited:
Mine has crashed a few times when waiting for the starting grid line up to show.

Similar to at launch but not as often. Still irritating as all heck after a 20min+ practice session.

So we are getting the CTS TA early and the Lotus 35 seems to be pushed back.

I like the overview video, and they should do one for every update. But it is odd that they would have a lackluster update (in terms of cars and features) right when the community feels at its lowest.
This update could have easily been announced alongside the previous one, just like FH5 did. They would have been spared some of the negativity.
This doesn't explain the lack of a livestream either.

Daytona is nice, and Sebring is also sorely missed (like Monza, Brands Hatch, Road Atlanta and CotA). But I think it is time for them to drop a new-to-Forza track soon.

But it is odd that they would have a lackluster update (in terms of cars and features) right when the community feels at its lowest.
This update could have easily been announced alongside the previous one, just like FH5 did. They would have been spared some of the negativity.

I'm not surprised the update is small, the content was likely in the schedule for a while now, so no point holding them off in addition to having a light update.

Microsoft does mandate that employees only carry over a certain amount of vacation days after the new year, this in combination with many of the Devs likely didn't take leave over June/July due to the impeding release, I would suspect some may have taken almost all of December off. Also, there was likely a code freeze for this same reason, so likely many fixes that have been worked on during December and prior wouldnt make the cut off for this release, especially considering the updates go through certification, so the build that goes out Tuesday likely was built last week or even earlier.

It will certainly be disappointing if we have another month without replays, that one will probably hit the hardest as it effects everyone in multiplayer

The only circuit that’s going to make me reinstall this is the Nordscheife.

Don’t get me wrong, not a complete Forza hate post - in my dreams, they’ll add loads, fix loads and turn this into a game really worth spending loads of single player time on, and I’ll reinstall it in six months and find it’s the game I wanted it to be at launch. I do still have hope of that.

Don’t get me wrong, not a complete Forza hate post - in my dreams, they’ll add loads, fix loads and turn this into a game really worth spending loads of single player time on, and I’ll reinstall it in six months and find it’s the game I wanted it to be at launch. I do still have hope of that.
e56bd087fffa23c56c2cfe6d5b2e249563dec48b.gif

Good video with relatively low production lift; I hope Turn 10 do these for every update going forward.
I do agree with this part, nothing wrong on this type of video, It looks even more complete than the ones that PD does with GT
I just hope they know what a review-before-posting phase is next time, it is not the first time they do something that ends up hurting more than helps

Re the smoke issue, I think it's an active design choice by Turn 10 to encourage players to turn off the suggested line, a first step towards their long term goal of turning Forza Motorsport into the quintessential hardcore Racing Simulator they've always wanted to make.

It's intentionally been made to look like a bug, in order to avoid suspicion, and us uncovering their master plan.

try telling the FM.Net crowd that its good without getting the pitchfork treatment.
Yea, this why i am being too pushy with it, beacuse i know the critics has bigger lens than us and will judge the game with any minor mistake possiblle to imply that the devs dont care about the game and/or community

Interesting that none of the spotlight cars this time are new to Forza - they are all from FH4/5.

Does this spark a new normal or are they making up for the Christmas break?
I think this is partly due to Christmas break. But also, Stellantis cars only came to FH5 in Summer and weren't ready at launch of FM23. So I think they probably saw this as the first opportunity to get those cars included.
Personally, I look forward to a break from superhypermegacar tours for a month, but I can imagine it won't be popular with those who want the latest fast machines.
But Forza should never be just about those anyway.
The only valid complaint on the cars really is that none of them are new. It would have been better I they'd also included a new Stellantis car in the update. But I'm guessing with the short time frame from sorting out the Stellantis contract, there hasn't been time to get a new car agreed and modelled for the game yet.
The weirdest part of this update is the track/car mismatch in some ways. Daytona doesn't really suit the new car additions.
But all in all, I think this is a good content update and Daytona is very welcome for me.
PS No I don't think this is the new normal.

Last edited:
I don't care for Daytona (or any roval really) but now with the working draft it could actually be fun unlike FM7 where it was one of the most boring tracks we had, plus it obviously fits the month of January so it's fine. Funny/sad to see that it appears we still won't have the correct pit exit for the road course though, as the screenshot they showed still has the tire barriers blocking off the proper pit exit. Add in this "auto drive pit exit" thing they did for this game, and it could be bad at turn 1 on the road course.

I'm glad to see the "new" Giulia come back, a Giulia vs M3 series with vintage DTM liveries should be fun. I never cared for the Delta (blasphemy I know but whatever) but it's a good car, same with the Ferrari 430. The little 124 is sorta just another Miata, but could be fun for a Miata vs Fiata series since the turbo motor means it has a different powerband than the Miata. Always good to see the old Giulia GTA back too. Most of the cars should be fairly flexible for the class based open lobbies too.

For me it's much better than the supercar/hypercar stuff we have been getting. Those generally don't provide great racing and are pretty useless for upgrading and stuff. I do find it odd they have gone from one extreme to the other though, with the previous "Featured Cars" being pretty much all super/hypercars with maybe one or two that aren't, into an update where only one is a supercar (by 2007 standards anyways). Surely mixing some "normal" cars in with the hypercars, and making each "Featured Tour" start off slower and work to faster cars would work better? That would broaden the appeal a bit.

Car Pass selection is kind of a meh. Outdated Ferrari that probably drives nice at least, a cool TA car that will just get stuffed into Forza GT and means we still can't have a TA division or even a private league series without forcing people to buy DLC, then 2 ugly hypercars we already have with some extra wings stapled onto them that will really only be good to drive for like 5 laps and go "huh, yep it's fast" and then never bother with again.

Should reserve judgement I guess until we see the list of fixes, but I'm doubting we see any of the QoL features (manual grid organizing, tire wear multiplier, etc) for private lobbies this time. Other than that though, it's a solid enough update with more stuff that I'm looking forward to than the last one.

Funny/sad to see that it appears we still won't have the correct pit exit for the road course though, as the screenshot they showed still has the tire barriers blocking off the proper pit exit. Add in this "auto drive pit exit" thing they did for this game, and it could be bad at turn 1 on the road course.
What do you mean?

1705237408700.png

daytona1.gif

1705238076388.png

6 months to fix the mess is fairly optimistic. Hoki said it'd take 2 years.

Comparing GT7 with FM, GT7 launched slim on content, but it was far more polished, which gave PD the room they needed to add content. T10 on the other hand has to fix FM while adding content, at risk of breaking the game further, and this is without mentioning their long list of "by design/won't fix" topics which includes all those outdated models and the general artistic vision for the game, nor the fundamental issue with the very core of the game (the progression).

Alan Hartman as head of XGS will try his best to save his baby, but the numbers don't lie, it's yet another DOA game carried by Microsoft's bottomless pockets. Steam raw numbers aren't representative, but they show a trend that's also happening on Xbox. Not to mention Microsoft is unable to phase it out and keep only Horizon (the logical move, as FH has all but cannibalized Motorsport) due to the PR disaster that would follow if the (assumed) main competitor to Gran Turismo was discontinued.

Back in 2018 there was actually hope for Xbox, fast forward to today and all Microsoft can do is add as much exclusive bloat to Game Pass as possible. No wonder FM turned out this bad. It's a shame, because Esaki didn't do a bad job when fixing FM7 at all, but he failed when given a full game to develop.

It’s hard to disagree with much of that, but I hope they fix it or else what’s the point? 80 quid and 150GB or whatever of game that’s basically not as good as 7, multiplayer aside.

I had really high hopes for FM. I was disappointed with it on release, denied a refund and then really tried to like it, but I just never want to play it. Have they ever really messed up a mainline Forza game before? 5, I guess, but even there it wasn’t bad per se, just very light on content compared to 4. Sometimes I play FM23 and think it’s alright - set up a touring car race or something and you can have some fun with it, but there’s just nothing that draws me back to it, ever. As a solo player it really doesn’t offer anything above and beyond 7, and it’s really not a patch on GT7 in any regard. It’s 150GB space that is much better used on three games I actually want to play.

6 months to fix the mess is fairly optimistic. Hoki said it'd take 2 years.

Comparing GT7 with FM, GT7 launched slim on content, but it was far more polished, which gave PD the room they needed to add content. T10 on the other hand has to fix FM while adding content, at risk of breaking the game further, and this is without mentioning their long list of "by design/won't fix" topics which includes all those outdated models and the general artistic vision for the game, nor the fundamental issue with the very core of the game (the progression).

Alan Hartman as head of XGS will try his best to save his baby, but the numbers don't lie, it's yet another DOA game carried by Microsoft's bottomless pockets. Steam raw numbers aren't representative, but they show a trend that's also happening on Xbox. Not to mention Microsoft is unable to phase it out and keep only Horizon (the logical move, as FH has all but cannibalized Motorsport) due to the PR disaster that would follow if the (assumed) main competitor to Gran Turismo was discontinued.

Back in 2018 there was actually hope for Xbox, fast forward to today and all Microsoft can do is add as much exclusive bloat to Game Pass as possible. No wonder FM turned out this bad. It's a shame, because Esaki didn't do a bad job when fixing FM7 at all, but he failed when given a full game to develop.

I've spent the last few days playing GT7 as we're going through open homes and my PC is in storage so playing GT7 on my wheel.

GT7 still has less meaningful content to me than FM, the staggered starts are truly awful, it's a chore going through the "career" mode of GT7, not only because the races are pretty terrible, but because you have to fast forward a bunch of meaningless menus and subtitles to advance the cafe menus. The licence tests are filler, I know many people like them, but I can't think of anything more dull to do in a racing game

Even disregarding the FM AI, the races in the career are far more enjoyable than in GT7, and they will only get better as the AI issues are addressed.

The views suck, it's 2024 FFS, can't they give us a bonnet cam instead of the godawful hood camera that also makes every car sound like a vacuum cleaner again like in GT5/6.

What GT7 does have going for it are some of the assists they have to help keep races clean, but these are pretty immersion breaking in single player mode. By this I mean the crash physics, when you hit a wall you get bumped off back onto the road, with a dull thud coming though your speakers, getting hit by another car gives you a bit of a shunt but the game definitely has some assists to put you back on track, it's all pretty immersion breaking in single player, but is certainly helpful in ensuring online is less crashy than Forza.

Multiplayer is an area that while more consistent in GT7, there is no variety, 3 daily races are pretty limiting in their track/car choice already, but to make it worse the meta is known at the beginning of each week, I watched Rory's stream last week where he was racing a one make race of Ford GT's in Daytona all week, how dull!

Despite its issues, I find myself turning on Forza more than I do GT7, so for a game that is "DOA" I'm sure getting a lot of fun out of it. I really don't care either for some of these content creators putting out their videos on Forza, it seems like a bit of a boys club, they all engage with each other on twitter to have their little giggles about the games struggles.

My guess is things will move on, the game will only get better with time, some of the creators that are stuck putting out negative engagement vids will get overtaken by those that keep playing and enjoying the game, and even when steam has 0 daily active users, you'll still be able to log online and get yourself a full lobby to do some online racing.

Last edited:
In addition to that, the whole carPG mess is mostly a problem for multiplayer. Single player gamers, especially more casual ones, have a perfectly decent experience which in my opinion thrashes FM7 because the driving experience is so much better.

So…. Let’s assume that like always only 10% of players care about multiplayer. How bad is FM23 really doing?

In addition to that, the whole carPG mess is mostly a problem for multiplayer. Single player gamers, especially more casual ones, have a perfectly decent experience which in my opinion thrashes FM7 because the driving experience is so much better.

So…. Let’s assume that like always only 10% of players care about multiplayer. How bad is FM23 really doing?
Single player gamers, especially those who like career modes and/or progression are probably OK as long as the 1-hour-per-week Forzathon, sorry Tour, is sufficient. Otherwise, it comes down to whether you are happy to run free play races, to fill the gap (or time trials).

I feel like, with the much improved physics, a decent career mode would keep me playing for 100s of hours. As it is, it's 90 minutes a week (including stretching out practice to level up the car).

Their GamePass logon stats for single players must go
Thursday... big peak
Friday/Saturday/Sunday... weekend catch up
Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday... tumbleweed

Or, as an alternative, add in EVENTLAB with shared events/tours! Let us make our own career mode. Imagine being able to play a different tour every day without repeating races :drool: 👍 (again, I wonder why FM23 is 5 years behind Forza Horizon in all key features, it baffles me totally - there's obviously a reason for it, but it makes no sense to me as an outsider).

Last edited:
So these numbers won't be accurate (because they do count only people who use the online rivals). They will be pretty conservative.

But Here are FH5's Monthly steam numbers:
Screenshot 2024-01-14 215226.png

Monthly average of 14,620 for the last month. This is the Average number of players that are online at the same time over the month.

NOT TOTAL NUMBER OF PLAYERS.

Now, the monthly featured rivals event for the Huayra that started 2 weeks ago:

1705249693435.png

Shows 306,063 players, who have set a time for the event.
This is the Total number of players who have participated in the monthly rivals.

Shows that Steam's active player count accounts for only about 5% of the players participating in the monthly rivals in FH5.

For Forza Motorsport:

Steam shows about an average of 700 monthly players active at any given time.
Screenshot 2024-01-14 215328.png

The Logitech Rivals event that started mid Dec, has 54000 players who have set a time for this event.
Screenshot 2024-01-14 215405.png

Shows that Steam's active player count accounts for only about 1.29% of the players participating in the monthly rivals for Forza Motorsport.

These numbers are not the total number of players ofc, because there are a lot of players who aren't doing rivals. But a decent idea of (a fraction of) how many players are playing these games.

FH5 has about 6x the players of FM.

But FM still has atleast 54,000 people playing the game. It maybe lower than expected but, that is far from a DEAD game.

Back