Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 14,238 comments
- being able to hand pick what AI cars I race against in freeplay and by grid positions. Currently it is not so simple choosing what cars to race against, it is a downright chore because you have to figure out the weight, class, power levels, year, etc...it's annoying at times
This was a feature in private lobbies in FM4 but not Free Play for some reason, and the community have been requesting it be brought to Free Play since then and we have heard nothing from Turn 10. It's such an obvious thing that it's already weird that it's not there, but the fact that it existed at one point but only in one mode and then was never seen again is pretty baffling.
- allow certain buckets or divisions to start first during a rolling race start like in real life where the prototypes go first then GT cars after
You can actually do that now, you just have to get the settings right. I think it's "Organize by bucket" has to be turned to "yes" for it to work, then you just put a roll off delay in the bucket you want to start second, and a bigger roll off delay for the bucket you want to start third, etc. Doesn't work for rolling starts I think though.
- being able to choose custom weather buckets for the variable weather selection, up to 3 would be nice. Like light rain, to heavy rain, to dense fog
That's how it was in FM7, I don't get why we have gone backwards for this title. Would be nice just to get back to the 3 weather slots at this point, but pre-release I was hoping we would be upgraded to having 5 or 6. Would also be nice if we could set a window for the transitions so it's not as predictable what lap it will change.

It would also be nice to be able to set a transition with a chance of two outcomes. For example, start in overcast conditions, then at the first transition there is a 60% chance it goes to light rain and a 40% chance it goes to light clouds. That way you can direct the weather a bit, but still leave a bit more unpredictability to it.
- a feature to flash headlights when approaching slower drivers. I have found myself on a few occasions on straightaways behind slower AI clicking the left thumstick as if I wanted to flash my headlights as an instinct lol
This is one of those things that sounds like a good idea, but then when you realize how annoying people are you wish it would go away. PC2 had this, and people would just spam the lights all the time. For chase cam it wasn't always as annoying depending on time of day, but for cockpit view drivers it was really obnoxious, particularly in some cars depending on dash materials and color the roll cage was painted and so on.

Kinda the same thing with the horns/quickchat things in Horizon.

Last edited:
Forza should have been a game developed by Polyphony!!!

Don't even get me started on the FOMO nonsense. Whoever came up with the idea of closing down career events after a set time and people losing out on the car as a result has to be a monkey on crack, bet he/she wasn't even human or a "car person".

Dan Greenawalt - you the man!
Chris Esaki is a con artist.
I'd be interested to see Polyphony's budget compared to T10's.

While I don't like the FOMO model, it's not that deep, they're clearly being advised to copy the more successful FH.

I don't really blame Chris Esaki for trying to sell his game (esp after some of the things that have come to light), I wonder if all these sponsored rival events are their attempt at bringing in some much-needed cash.

FM 4, 5 and 6, even 7 felt incredibly well grounded, you wanted to play it over and over again.
We must be revising history a bit here because FM5 got slammed for the exact same things FM2023 is getting called out for.
However, a number of critics complained about the relative lack of content versus its predecessor, Forza Motorsport 4. Edge noted that the game "has lost some 300 cars, over 20 locations and countless tracks", losing "the variety of racing that made it great" and that it was "a launch game with all the spectacle and disappointment we’ve come to expect from launch games".[14] Matthew Kato of Game Informer called the game's revised career mode "a mistake" and that Forza Motorsport 5 "takes a big step forward only to be held back by what it has removed".[17] Writing for EGM, Ray Carsillo said that while the game "maintains the tradition of providing great control along with some stunningly realistic graphics", ultimately it was "a surprising step backward for the Forza franchise".[15]

The worst part about this is that the closed beta in 2021/22 had this:
View attachment 1376699
It was apparently a fully walkable garage in first person, with 3 cars, all in seamless forzavista. You could walk up to any of them and change livery/change displayed car. They were also testing some sort of shared livery system.
Then there was a paint shop on the other side. and the stairs lead to a race room where you could start races.

It was scrapped for a simpler 2d menu.
It absolutely ticks me off that such an operational system was completely nuked for the one we have now.

I hope they add the beta concept back as a full finished feature. This game needs a v2/Spec 2.0. It should contain:
  • I know it would just be nostalgia bait, but i want the homespaces from FM4 - FM7 to be alterative options for FM. They should have the assets for all of them, and it should just be textures that need updates. FM7 was made with 4k in mind anyway, so it should be the closest to a direct port. All of them had different feels and weren't generic at all, plus they are all big enough to house atleast 3 cars.
  • All the FOMO races as permanent additions (with custom length sliders) plus all future races to be added as permanent additions.
  • All car upgrades that are missing from FH (4-10 speed transmissions, track width, tire profile, anti lag w/ launch control etc.) New forza aero (for all cars).
  • Photomode with FH features (and an option to apply max RT when rendering a picture like Cyberpunk).
  • Updated livery system, with painting of glass and carbon + more material types. integrated into a share code based Creative hub.
  • FOMO cars added to dealership (maybe for an elevated price) after the corresponding series is over. All suitable cars from FH5 to be added to the dealership as well. Maintain parity with FH.
  • All real tracks from FM7. Plus 3/4 new tracks.
  • Open/Drift/Trackday lobbies. AI in private multiplayer. Share code based custom lobbies.
  • Full drag and Drift modes.
  • Graphical overhaul. I dont care if they have to take a sponsorship or whatever from AMD or better yet Nvidia, to overhaul the RT system and optimize it as much as possible. DLSS/FSR3 should be mandatory.
  • Ai updates. FRR improvements.
  • Audio rework, add more variety to repeating sounds like blowoffs gear whine etc.
There's more like replays and free play settings and whatnot. But all this would be a great(for me) v2/spec2 for the game.
I strongly believe that they changed their mind on the single player concept, the3D walkable garage was great, it hinted at a much deeper and more involved career mode, liveries could be applied to all cars in your garage space, all colour coded, the fictional sponsors were everywhere (the ones you see out on the circuits). I think it was almost going to be like a Grid style progression career mode, rags to riches/road to racer sort of thing, with sponsorships etc. You can still get bits of it from the game, like the radio transmissions, the fake sponsors on all the circuits etc.
We must be revising history a bit here because FM5 got slammed for the exact same things FM2023 is getting called out for.

It did, but FM5 was still actually fun to play, something FM23 isn't. Also, the games career mode qas pretty similar to FM4 if I recall, just smaller due to there being less cars.

If FM23 had a lack of content but was still actually enjoyable then there wouldn't be as much complaining. The other issue for FM23 over FM5 is the bar that the Horizon series has set in terms of vehicular content, FH5s current car list puts FM23 to shame. Yes PG have done their own thing but ultimately it still operates under T10 and given that the car models evidently haven't been built from the ground up in FM, it seems inexcusable to have such a rubbish selection of cars.

Having not played FM5 and 6, when I got FM7 I found myself disliking the physics quite a bit, but persevered to play because of the stats and a desire to complete the single player career and collect all the cars. In the end I reached 810 of 834 when FM23 came out, and because of the huge improvements in physics I immediately uninstalled FM7.

I've apparently already played nearly twice as many hours in FM23 as in FM7, even though it doesn't feel like it. However the hours played have mostly been free play since the single player tour has never had the same desire to finish it as in FM7, and there is no car collection screen unlike FM7.

FM23 does feel a bit bare, but it has the best controller support of any racing game I've played, and the underlying physics are vastly better than FM7. It's just that without a "goal" like car collecting or career completion I end up only logging in occasionally.

It did, but FM5 was still actually fun to play, something FM23 isn't.
In your opinion, sure. In mine, I enjoy FM23 just fine.
If FM23 had a lack of content but was still actually enjoyable then there wouldn't be as much complaining.
Again, opinion.
The other issue for FM23 over FM5 is the bar that the Horizon series has set in terms of vehicular content, FH5s current car list puts FM23 to shame. Yes PG have done their own thing but ultimately it still operates under T10 and given that the car models evidently haven't been built from the ground up in FM, it seems inexcusable to have such a rubbish selection of cars.
FH5's car list objectively puts every racing game's car list to shame because of how gigantic & diverse it is. It's literally near 900 cars categorized over 35+ different classifications. It's impressive how the only popular game with a similar, diverse roster is GTA Online & that game's got about a decade's head start.

If you were going into FM2023 thinking anything about FH5 would be carrying over or influencing, then you were destined to not enjoy FM2023 at all.

it hinted at a much deeper and more involved career mode, liveries could be applied to all cars in your garage space, all colour coded, the fictional sponsors were everywhere (the ones you see out on the circuits). I think it was almost going to be like a Grid style progression career mode, rags to riches/road to racer sort of thing, with sponsorships etc. You can still get bits of it from the game, like the radio transmissions, the fake sponsors on all the circuits etc.
That would have been exciting. In fact, the 2020 trailer was basically just that :

Spec cars with fictional team liveries, tire lettering from fictional companies (Prorata), driver suits/helmets. They had event posters too.
Everything really points towards some sort of concept change late into development. Maybe it was the lockdowns, maybe the same contract structure that 343 suffered from, maybe the change in leadership/creative, maybe some sort of philosophy change to avoid clashing with FH. Idk, but it is clearly off. The early FM livestreams (before the game got unveiled) had a completely different tone to them.

As much as i love spending time in FM, i do wish it hadn't cleaned out its single player and also the car list (the SUVs are pretty much made for the road nowadays and the race trucks should have stayed). The smaller features where it lags behind FH also hurt (phot mode, car upgrades, launch control etc.) along with the amazing support FH has received in terms of cars, while FM receives mostly recycled cars just sucks. The launch of FM being so rocky also doesn't help.

FM is going to have to spend over a year to get to a state where they have all the promised features in the game. Its very frustrating to have gone back in content and features, when the handling model is by far the best on a controller. I do hope they step up on the content soon, because it feels pretty dry right now coming to the end of the 1st year for the game.

Last edited:
In your opinion, sure. In mine, I enjoy FM23 just fine.

Again, opinion.

FH5's car list objectively puts every racing game's car list to shame because of how gigantic & diverse it is. It's literally near 900 cars categorized over 35+ different classifications. It's impressive how the only popular game with a similar, diverse roster is GTA Online & that game's got about a decade's head start.

If you were going into FM2023 thinking anything about FH5 would be carrying over or influencing, then you were destined to not enjoy FM2023 at all.
Of course it's opinion, but I don't think I'm the only one who thinks it.

And you're right, FH5 does put everything to shame, however I don't think it is unrealistic to expect SOME carryover between games under the same organisation, like there was in previous Horizon-Motorsport games. So yeah, based on that I did think there would be some carryover in terms of vehicular content, including cars and customisation options.

That's my fundamental problem with the content, I can live with less content if it's higher quality and built into a fun game (GT7, Grid Legends), but not when there is a tonne of existing content that could be used and isn't.

And you're right, FH5 does put everything to shame, however I don't think it is unrealistic to expect SOME carryover between games under the same organisation, like there was in previous Horizon-Motorsport games. So yeah, based on that I did think there would be some carryover in terms of vehicular content, including cars and customisation options.

That's my fundamental problem with the content, I can live with less content if it's higher quality and built into a fun game (GT7, Grid Legends), but not when there is a tonne of existing content that could be used and isn't.
Then, there's your point of issue. T10/Esaki made it known early on they would be focusing FM2023 primarily on motorsport/track racing & that would influence its car list. That made it pretty clear that if not only was a chunk of FM7's car list going to be left out, Horizon's diverse car list was also not going to be considered. That whole, "built from the ground up" that became a beaten meme was Esaki telling us this FM was going to be seen as a reboot.

Last edited:
Then, there's your point of issue. T10/Esaki made it known early on they would be focusing FM2023 primarily on motorsport/track racing & that would influence its car list. That made it pretty clear that if not only was a chunk of FM7's car list going to be left out, Horizon's diverse car list was also not going to be considered. That whole, "built from the ground up" that became a beaten meme was Esaki telling us this FM was going to be seen as a reboot.
Agreed, I saw them making that known and was excited by that direction, then they gave us a career mode that features zero races involving racing cars or any of the motorsport series involved in the game, only eventually seeing some months after launch which can now no longer be accessed and were time limited. Instead they focused on building road cars (hence, builders cup) and then didn't put any interesting ones in there from the FH series anyway, so we lost out on both fronts.

A game refocusing on motorsport, with a great list of racing cars, and no events to race them in. 😩

Last edited:
I just want more tracks and customizable cars. MP could be much improved with the addition of one more Open Class and one more Spec series. I am on the other end where I really only play MP and Rivals.

We will never know for certain, but it seems that the focus (in the direction of a racing-focused game) in 2020 was probably shifted during the Covid years to "make it more like past Forzas/Forza Horizon" by upper management. And they probably cut their funds, downsized their personnel, and pushed for a release to pad their slate of released games for that year.

Good god there's a lot of complaining in here - I get that there's stuff missing/unpolished but I'd trade almost all of it for FM8's physics.

FM8 is so much more satisfying to actually play on a wheel compared to the three previous titles.

OK the constant crashes do get a bit bloody annoying though...

I don't mind the complaints, there's valid criticism to be had, but it does get a bit much, I find this thread in particular is much better behaved compared to reddit or the official forums.

I certainly don't get the FOMO comparisons to FH5, I find the monthly races much more tolerable than FH5, which I booted up this week to see how hard it was to get the Mustang, saw it was 170 odd points and just quit to play some more FM.

I certainly agree with you on the wheel, I came into FM7 late, bought it just before it was de-listed while I was getting back into sim-racing, it was hardly worth playing on a wheel, felt like I was having to rewind dozens of times a lap, painful to say the least, it also had a bug which crashed me out of the game before I could complete about 5 laps, found out later on that was due to my 165hz refresh rate.

I'm enjoying FM, my main gripes are with MP, still waiting on those penalty, ghosting tweaks etc to make things a bit cleaner, the radar certainly helped but it's not a silver bullet and there's still ways to go before it's as clean as it should be.

Good. If fans didn't complain we'd be at square one still
Fair point - and for what it's worth I'd agree with the general sentiment that FM was delivered incomplete and unpolished (and indeed still is both of those things).

But the endless griping, especially about the FOMO stuff seems to me at least to be particularly asinine. The FOMO stuff in FH5 is confusing, overwhelming and ultimately off-putting, whereas here at least the FOMO content is being delivered in such a way that even a forty-something father of two can find time to sit down and knock it out easily in a linear, easy to follow fashion. And the recent endurance races were just fantastic. I don't know what they did with the difficulty settings for that set in particular, but I found I had to push, focus, and be consistent in a way that I hadn't before. And the time of day transitions really gave the graphics a chance to shine.

Meh - keep the cars, tracks and tweaks coming I say, I'm having fun with it.

Fair point - and for what it's worth I'd agree with the general sentiment that FM was delivered incomplete and unpolished (and indeed still is both of those things).

But the endless griping, especially about the FOMO stuff seems to me at least to be particularly asinine. The FOMO stuff in FH5 is confusing, overwhelming and ultimately off-putting, whereas here at least the FOMO content is being delivered in such a way that even a forty-something father of two can find time to sit down and knock it out easily in a linear, easy to follow fashion. And the recent endurance races were just fantastic. I don't know what they did with the difficulty settings for that set in particular, but I found I had to push, focus, and be consistent in a way that I hadn't before. And the time of day transitions really gave the graphics a chance to shine.

Meh - keep the cars, tracks and tweaks coming I say, I'm having fun with it.
Yes, but will that 'forty-something father of two' find the time to play something different? Would be nice, esp after buying the game day one, to be able to leave the game for a while until more tracks are added without the FOMO on unique cars.

Yes, but will that 'forty-something father of two' find the time to play something different? Would be nice, esp after buying the game day one, to be able to leave the game for a while until more tracks are added without the FOMO on unique cars.
As a forty something father of two, yes I can confirm that you can find time to play something different. I do it all the time. The FOMO in FM23 lasts a month, sometimes a bit longer, which is ample time to spread everything out.
Do I agree it should be a mechanic? No, but there is plenty of time to do all the events and still find time to play other games.

As a forty something father of two, yes I can confirm that you can find time to play something different. I do it all the time. The FOMO in FM23 lasts a month, sometimes a bit longer, which is ample time to spread everything out.
Do I agree it should be a mechanic? No, but there is plenty of time to do all the events and still find time to play other games.
I must be doing something wrong then, because I can't and I don't even have kids lol. But I do have other hobbies that eat up my time tbf.

Not quite forty but 2 kids, my son came out of bed and was watching me die for the 15th time on Elden Ring's Fire Giant a couple nights ago, I'm up-to-date on the tours. Even managed to complete the May month while on a working-holiday in Spain for the month, thanks to a GameSir X2.

If you didn't know, you can skip practice, and it also doesn't matter what position you come, so feel free to turn off rewind and just drive, if you come last who cares, you still progress. I actually prefer this, rewind was such a crutch for me in FM7 especially because the handling sucked and you would get spun out by the AI so much. The only time I've turned it on was when cloud gaming, because of lag spikes dropping the connection temporarily in corners, it was kinda necessary.

Last edited:
in a northern accent Ee bye gum, there were no such thing as FOMO when I joined GTPlanet 20 years ago.

You do at least get 6 weeks/7 weeks to do the Featured Tour races in, so it's better than Forza Horizon in that respect.

Can confirm, am fortysomething, father to two children. Play Fallout 4, Assassin's Creed and others as well as FOMO Motorsport. Also enjoy reading, running, going to the gym, cooking etc

It can be done!

While I don't like the FOMO model, it's not that deep, they're clearly being advised to copy the more successful FH.
IMO it's a huge mistake for them to be trying to copy FH gameplay elements in FM.

There are FH elements that should be copied, but haven't been. For example, you should be able to sort your cars by when you acquired them, add cars to favourites and filter to only show favourites etc. The class definitions for A, S etc should be consistent across the two games. There's really no downside to copying these elements.

But it's a huge mistake, IMO, to make FM a "carpg". By making it a carpg, they make it into basically just a worse FH game that has only two reasons to prefer it over FH:
1. Better physics, but just put the better physics into FH anyway.
2. Real world tracks, but again, if people want those in a carpg, just put them in FH.

To me, what FM should be is a true e-sport along the lines of Counter-Strike, Rocket League, Age of Empires, where winning is a pure test of skill. All players have access to all functional items in a true e-sport so that only skill differentiates people in competition. A true e-sport FM would appeal to a completely different audience to FH's audience, whereas a carpg FM that tries to appeal to the same audience is going to fail due to simply being less appealing to that audience. FM is supposed to simulate real world motorsport, an actual competitive sport, so it would make a lot more sense for them to copy actual competitive e-sport games that have tens of millions of players and are far more popular than FH.

To me, what FM should be is a true e-sport along the lines of Counter-Strike, Rocket League, Age of Empires, where winning is a pure test of skill. All players have access to all functional items in a true e-sport so that only skill differentiates people in competition. A true e-sport FM would appeal to a completely different audience to FH's audience, whereas a carpg FM that tries to appeal to the same audience is going to fail due to simply being less appealing to that audience. FM is supposed to simulate real world motorsport, an actual competitive sport, so it would make a lot more sense for them to copy actual competitive e-sport games that have tens of millions of players and are far more popular than FH.
I agree but, I dont see this happening any time soon tbh... Unless T10 somehow manages to "fix" the tunning/upgrade system on this game (so people won't abuse the system in order to gain an advantage over others who doesn't know how the system works/how to properly tune a car) or at least make decent BOP for the cars. Until then, the person who's a better tunner will always have an advantage, even if you're a good driver, you can't compete against META cars or "op" tunes.

Just my opinion though.

Beyond how little I like the FOMO content (both in Motorsport and Horizon) what this game urgently needs is a change to its campaign mode.

The Builders Cup has turned out to be an empty mode, it's very short and in a game called Forza Motorsport there is not a single race with racing cars.

An approach similar to that of Toca Race Driver 3, the first Grid or Project Cars 2 could be a good starting point.

The online is not bad, but for the offline player it's a game that doesn't offer anything special when compared to FH5.

It bothers me to see that Turn10 if wants can offer interesting content.

He has demonstrated it with endurance races or for example with this week's Ford v Ferrari within the Featured Tours.

Why not make them permanent?

Or give us as much freedom as in Horizon to create the events we want.

The physics are nice, now try to improve other aspects of the game.

I agree but, I dont see this happening any time soon tbh... Unless T10 somehow manages to "fix" the tunning/upgrade system on this game (so people won't abuse the system in order to gain an advantage over others who doesn't know how the system works/how to properly tune a car) or at least make decent BOP for the cars. Until then, the person who's a better tunner will always have an advantage, even if you're a good driver, you can't compete against META cars or "op" tunes.

Just my opinion though.
The tuning side of things is a valid point, though I was more talking about the car collecting side of things and just how much time it takes to earn the credits to get all the cars and upgrades, plus the cars that are only available during a limited time window.

I don't have the same problem with tuning, because it is at least skill-based, but there is an argument for having options to race without needing that particular skill.

There was a stream a while back where Chris Esaki mentioned that they allowed tuning for spec multiplayer because they wanted people to be able to make the car drive how they wanted, they didn't envisage it being impossible to be competitive without massive time investment in tuning. He saw it as a problem just how big a difference the tune is making, but they weren't sure how to address it. GT7 addresses this by having fixed tunes for many multiplayer races, particularly the highest profile Gr.3 and Gr.4, but it means that you can end up having to choose a car that drives how you want it to drive, while another car might do faster lap times, but many people might find it unpleasant to drive. If a game is going to force fixed tunes on people, those tunes need to be good, and Forza has always had the problem of a lot of stock tunes being terrible.

@syphe I interpreted this as issue as being about the open races in single player.
You can only do two laps of practice now before the practice ends which is incredibly annoying. Before there was an extra 10 minutes of practice in open races in single player which was very useful.

I usually use the practice laps to dial in the tune of my car and adjust my braking points for the car I'm using at the moment. Two laps is just too short to do that. I often need at least 5-6 laps meaning I now have to restart the practice session several times. Why would they change this?!🙄

I agree with most of what you wrote above, but let's not forget that Dan Greenawalt was responsible for FM7, which (besides FM '23) was the worst received FM title ever at launch.

Chris was responsible for fixing the hot mess that FM7 was when it arrived. He's a talented developer and is considered the father of the modern day cover shooter mechanic that most third person shooter games use nowadays. And there's no doubt about his passion for cars and motorsport.

As we've discussed in this thread before, and Adrian told us in this video, I'd say that the problem probably is Microsoft's/Xbox's hiring strategy rather than Mr Esaki being incompetent. Hiring people for just 18 months is madness.

Polyphony Digital has their own set of problems with GT7 as well. The game is ofc much more polished than FM '23 at the moment, but Kazunori-San runs this franchise as his own one-man-show and there's very little insight in their roadmap regarding their game and they're constantly critisized for not listening to the fanbase.

I really don't believe that. It seems to be the case of a developer who was "kicked out" for being incompetent. To me, he couldn't handle the pressure, and didn't bother to teach his incredible teachings to the newcomers. I don't know of any other developer who has reported the same, apart from the fact that many of the improvements we have today were delivered months after launch (without his help). In any case, there's no telling what happened back then.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back