Funny/Strange News Stories

Dull and Bland celebration is far from Boring

After forging a link with Boring, Oregon in 2012, Dull will welcome the Mayor of Bland Shire at a civic reception in Aberfeldy.
Speaking at the time, Mayor of Bland Shire Neil Pokoney said: "Dull and Boring basically have a tourism relationship.

"We heard about it and thought it would be even better if it became Bland, Dull and Boring.

"It's good for us to be able to take a light-hearted look at a name that many would see to be a weight around our necks."

'Absolutely superb'
Mr Campbell said the renewed media focus on the village was "absolutely superb", with the 80 or so locals "loving the attention."

He said: "It puts Dull on the map as far as they're concerned."

"Many of the people in Dull have been across and visited folks in Boring in Oregon."

"People from Boring regularly turn up in the village and are pleased to be here."

"You get a constant procession of people stopping with cars to get their photographs taken."

"It's a bit like visiting a sight that you see on the telly."

EasyJet relief flight cancelled due to turtles. You'd think that if EasyJet wanted to protect lower order life forms that can only breed on far off beaches they'd have got those hen parties to safety much sooner. B'dum etc.

EDIT: In a story that's only related due to my weak joke... priests receive apology for stag do confusion.

Last edited:
EasyJet relief flight cancelled due to turtles. You'd think that if EasyJet wanted to protect lower order life forms that can only breed on far off beaches they'd have got those hen parties to safety much sooner. B'dum etc.

EDIT: In a story that's only related due to my weak joke... priests receive apology for stag do confusion.

....Hah, the irony. The so-called EasyJet is proving to be anything but. Seems to me that quite a few technical mishaps are happening around the low-cost carrier more regularly than the most. I wonder why....

Ok, maybe not.

Bus seats in Norway mistaken for women in burqas by anti-immigrant group

617.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...istaken-burqas-anti-immigrant-group-norwegian

Last edited:
....In another case of "What were they thinking?" BBC.

Anything for the sake of fashion, eh. Was it worth the try, though? I mean, any publicity is good publicity, or so someone once said to me before. And this clothing company sure got themselves some publicity now.

....In another case of "What were they thinking?" BBC.

Anything for the sake of fashion, eh. Was it worth the try, though? I mean, any publicity is good publicity, or so someone once said to me before. And this clothing company sure got themselves some publicity now.

It would've helped if they didnt use the nazi version but maybe the hindu version.
And people should stop with the stigma on the swastika.

The bible has caused more deaths than the nazis, yet no one bans or cries about the bible.

And people should stop with the stigma on the swastika.

Being used mostly as a symbol of peace (except in religious wars, obvs) doesn't undue the 20th century stigma attached to it.

The bible has caused more deaths than the nazis, yet no one bans or cries about the bible.

Is this a suggestion that people should unban the Nazis or stop crying about them? You're sure nobody bans bibles or "cries" about them? You need to more internettings.

Is this a suggestion that people should unban the Nazis or stop crying about them? You're sure nobody bans bibles or "cries" about them? You need to more internettings.

More of a comparison using the same logic that people use against one symbol of death.

How many christian and catholic churches are there in the US?
You can walk into any book store and walk out with a bible.

More of a comparison using the same logic that people use against one symbol of death.

How many christian and catholic churches are there in the US?
You can walk into any book store and walk out with a bible.
I don't really see the hypocrisy here. The bible and Christian and Catholic churches aren't primarily associated with death. Swastikas are despite their pre-Nazi history. You may disagree but good luck with re-educating the world as trying to do this didn't work out so well for the T-shirt manufacturers.

...An Irish vet's English fails Aussie visa test run by a computer - BBC.

She's been working in Queesnland for around 2 years, married to an Australian, and is expecting her first child. Plus, she'd earned two degrees from a University, too. Annnnnd she still flunked the oral test. No wonder I couldn't understand a thing uttered by an Irish dude running the local pub down here... 💡

She's been working in Queesnland for around 2 years, married to an Australian, and is expecting her first child. Plus, she'd earned two degrees from a University, too. Annnnnd she still flunked the oral test. No wonder I couldn't understand a thing uttered by an Irish dude running the local pub down here... 💡

It doesn't help they were using "voice recognition technology," everyone knows that it's the most useless thing on the planet when it comes to actually doing the thing it's meant to do.

They can't kick her out of the country because her accent wasn't authentic enough for the VR software. I hope she isn't forced to become one of your dole-bludgers.

They can't kick her out of the country because her accent wasn't authentic enough for the VR software. I hope she isn't forced to become one of your dole-bludgers.

...She'll most likely apply for another type of visa, as noted in the article itself. Still, I found it a humourous little story as I can sort of relate to the plight of the poor AI, as I'm literally exposed to dozens and dozens of varied accents from all walks of life daily.

...A flea bite equals 12K settlement fee, according to W Midlands Police Force - BBC.

Okay, so the story in itself isn't all that remarkable, but this little bit caught my attention.

There were five other payouts in excess of £5,000, the request showed.

Of the other personal injury payouts, there were two for falls at work and two for what is described as "manual handling".

....??????? What the heck could be this "manual handling"?! I'm really curious, now.

....??????? What the heck could be this "manual handling"?! I'm really curious, now.

Injuries sustained while performing manouevres involving picking up heavy things without being provided with the appropriate training... at least that's my guess.

Injuries sustained while performing manouevres involving picking up heavy things without being provided with the appropriate training... at least that's my guess.

....Could be, but the wording makes me think it's literally that - the officers got injured while handling the manuals. Must've been pretty substantial manuals.

Back