Genki is considering the development for new Tokyo Xtreme Racer (Shutokou Battle)

• Thread starter MJ6feet6
  • 908 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
And what do you mean by one more location? I thought only circuit, mountain, and highway were available.

My bad. I just checked with my disc (yup, still have it lol) and it only has 3 locations. I swore there's another one but in my defense it's been almost 10 years since I played it :lol:

The best case scenario is that Genki either teams up with Namco Bandai (or Bandai Namco whatever), or have them be the publisher for the game. Namco Bandai already has a lot of experience with their similar Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune series and being a much larger company with more resource, they could solve Genki's potential problems in licensing etc.

Heck, the Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune series has the entire Shutokou we know of and recently, also Shinjuku and Shibuya that was seen in ITC, but with a link between the two to make a loop instead of having to drive to street level and do a U turn like in ITC. It also has another section as well.

Yesss. That would be ideal scenario for me. Instead of having to redo the whole highway system from scratch, just use the assets from WMMT and touch them up for current gen. I'm very impressed how WMMT is continually expanding their highway system. Soon they'll have the whole of Japan covered :crazy:

Once they do, it's only a matter of time until someone ports it to Assetto Corsa *cue evil villain laugh* :D

Ahh the suspense is killing me. Got a noose made up already just incase it's a mobile game.
Admittedly and shamefully I've lost some sleep over thinking about the announcement. The last time I was this nervous was right before Hot Pursuit 2010 got announced. Sometimes I hate that I care too much.

Ahh the suspense is killing me. Got a noose made up already just incase it's a mobile game.

Same, tbh.

No other series can satiate my undying infatuation with the Japanese highway racer fantasy.

That dark, mysterious, underground racing atmosphere. The tastefully customized JDM, pumping, electronic soundtrack and almost mythical-status of legendary racers, teams and their ominous, high-powered, precisely tuned machines.

Aah. Nothing else hits it like Shutokou Battle, and it legitimately bums me out that we have nothing else similar for the home console / PC market.

Last edited:
Same, tbh.

No other series can satiate my undying infatuation with the Japanese highway racer fantasy.

That dark, mysterious, underground racing atmosphere. The tastefully customized JDM, pumping, electronic soundtrack and almost mythical-status of legendary racers, teams and their ominous, high-powered, precisely tuned machines.

Aah. Nothing else hits it like Shutokou Battle, and it legitimately bums me out that we have nothing else similar for the home console / PC market.

Mate, you described my same infactuation so well. The replayability is second to none on all there racing games. Iam an f1 and simulation freak but even those don't have the same replay value as a shutokou game. I always feel we get good racing games but they always miss something, like they give you a taste of what something could be if they did just that bit extra if you know what I mean but shutokou racer ticks all the boxes and if it truely is another chapter to there already franchise but for ps4, I couldn't explain how excited I would be, it simply would be awesome.

Same, tbh.

I know how you feel, the suspense is too great that GT of all games just can't match. It is just sad that it probably won't be on PC or consoles. After beating Speed King in ITC, it had that ominous tone of racing him. Reasonably they will probably be successful soon, and hoping for them to put the game in the U.S. market.

Mate, you described my same infactuation so well. The replayability is second to none on all there racing games. Iam an f1 and simulation freak but even those don't have the same replay value as a shutokou game. I always feel we get good racing games but they always miss something, like they give you a taste of what something could be if they did just that bit extra if you know what I mean but shutokou racer ticks all the boxes and if it truely is another chapter to there already franchise but for ps4, I couldn't explain how excited I would be, it simply would be awesome.
Agreed, I can't say nothing more nothing less.

If the new Shutokou Battle is a console game AND gets an international or English release, I just hope that the name used will just be 'Shutokou Battle' just like the Japanese release. I mean, if you think about it, the name Tokyo Xtreme Racer sounds... how do I say this... Well for one, it's not original and sounds like what a kid would say. Secondly, it's a very dated name at this time and age (Extreme is a very 90s and now outdated term, and tbh the game is not exactly extreme anyway)

Shutokou Battle, on the other hand, sounds more original and is more representative of the game anyway. Not to mention, it has a very recognisable and unique cross shaped logo for the series. Just like how Gran Turismo, Forza and Need for Speed has their stylized GT, F and N logo design respectively that is unique to them and you'll immediately know a game is from those series when you see their logo on a game box even without looking at the rest of the cover art.

If the new Shutokou Battle is a console game AND gets an international or English release, I just hope that the name used will just be 'Shutokou Battle' just like the Japanese release. I mean, if you think about it, the name Tokyo Xtreme Racer sounds... how do I say this... Well for one, it's not original and sounds like what a kid would say. Secondly, it's a very dated name at this time and age (Extreme is a very 90s and now outdated term, and tbh the game is not exactly extreme anyway)
It's the Japanese being unique again with English titles (for the US at least). However, I do agree.

Shutokou Battle, on the other hand, sounds more original and is more representative of the game anyway. Not to mention, it has a very recognisable and unique cross shaped logo for the series. Just like how Gran Turismo, Forza and Need for Speed has their stylized GT, F and N logo design respectively that is unique to them and you'll immediately know a game is from those series when you see their logo on a game box even without looking at the rest of the cover art.

Yeah I hear ya, like import tuner challenge sounds like some poxy arcade racer.

I will buy whatever version
It's the Japanese being unique again with English titles (for the US at least). However, I do agree.
I think the name change has always been a publisher choice.

They can call it Imported Japaneses Imaginary Racers Challenge Xtreme JDM and most people would not care. People will associate a good game, even one with a silly title, with good memories if they had a blast playing it. It just needs to be descriptive and/or unique enough for people to identify it.

With that said I perfer Tokyo Extreme Racer > Import Tuner Challenge > Shutokou Battle but I would not give a second thought if it was IJIRCX JDM, as long as it is a good game.

Just wanted to give an opposing opinion.

They can call it Imported Japaneses Imaginary Racers Challenge Xtreme JDM and most people would not care. People will associate a good game, even one with a silly title, with good memories if they had a blast playing it. It just needs to be descriptive and/or unique enough for people to identify it.

With that said I perfer Tokyo Extreme Racer > Import Tuner Challenge > Shutokou Battle but I would not give a second thought if it was IJIRCX JDM, as long as it is a good game.

Just wanted to give an opposing opinion.

See people like us would know what it is reguardless of the title, but to peopl just passing by, if the title isn't enticing, they won't even look at it.

See people like us would know what it is reguardless of the title, but to peopl just passing by, if the title isn't enticing, they won't even look at it.

I think that is a good point if someone is going to a store for a new game with no idea of what they want and they are looking at a wall of games. There is only a limited amount of information that can be shown on a game box. This was definitely my childhood, I remember going to a video rental place that just had Nintendo cartridges in a clear movie box. No game box. No manual. Just the sticker on front to describe the game with a title and any imagery.

However, buying games online is a little different as a catchy name is not as important as a youtube video or a marketplace page can tell more in-depth about the game. Does it still matter? Sure, but I am not sure how much.

edit: Just my opinion. Does not mean I am right and everyone is wrong. Completely open to opposing views, mine is not set in conrete

Last edited:
I didn't play Import tuner challenge for years because the case and name were dumb looking then one day I looked at the back of the box and realized what it actually was.

Last edited:
I didn't play IRC for years because the case and name were dumb looking then one day I looked at the back of the box and realized what it actually was.
Exactly my point, to the untrained eye, they could loose a lot of potential sales and new fans just by the name and display on the case. ITC could've sold a lot more if it simply described itself a lot better IMO. In a way that's good though as it keeps the aura about such classic titles.

Exactly my point, to the untrained eye, they could loose a lot of potential sales and new fans just by the name and display on the case. ITC could've sold a lot more if it simply described itself a lot better IMO. In a way that's good though as it keeps the aura about such classic titles.
I played ITC myself, and I am 88% through the game, though I have wanderers left to do. At least they are not that bad to begin with. I owned the game for about a week now, however, it does carry a lot of that aura within the TXR name brand, but it confuses the older players who played the classic TXR series, who knew the title back then, so the reason Genki put Shutoku Battle X is why TXR in Japan is a much more common name than the United States and Europe.

VXR
Import Tuner Challenge was such a poor name for it.

I didn't play Import tuner challenge for years because the case and name were dumb looking then one day I looked at the back of the box and realized what it actually was.

I don't know who was in charge of localizing and marketing the Shutokou Battle series in the west, but they sure as hell did one terrible job.

The titles 'Tokyo Xtreme Racer' and 'Import Tuner Challenge' just scream bargain bin shovelware.

I don't know who was in charge of localizing and marketing the Shutokou Battle series in the west, but they sure as hell did one terrible job.

The titles 'Tokyo Xtreme Racer' and 'Import Tuner Challenge' just scream bargain bin shovelware.
Well.... UBISoft published the game in the United States, so I believe it was them who wanted to change the name in the western countries.

Ah yes, that's the term I was looking for. Those two name just sounds like those cheap cash grab on the street racing genre where the cover art cost more than the actual development of the game itself.

In fact, we've seen a similar thing happened to Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars. Don't recognise that name? I don't blame you, no one has heard of it except for a very small group. Now Rocket League? I'm sure you heard of it even if you don't play it.

This is why alex's opinion is completely wrong. I'm not saying that as my opinion, I'm saying that as a fact.

That's exactly what all the TXR games were. Crave was a budget publisher and localized them for cheap, often with disastrous results like the game-breaking money bug in TXR3.
At a time when PS2 games sold for $50, TXR games were around $20, and the corner-cutting showed. Heck, the manual for TXRD2 is a rough draft with copy editor's notations throughout.

Well.... UBISoft published the game in the United States, so I believe it was them who wanted to change the name in the western countries.

Again, money. No doubt the "Import Tuner" angle was chosen as a paid sponsorship from the magazine of the same name.

Ah yes, that's the term I was looking for. Those two name just sounds like those cheap cash grab on the street racing genre where the cover art cost more than the actual development of the game itself.

In fact, we've seen a similar thing happened to Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars. Don't recognise that name? I don't blame you, no one has heard of it except for a very small group. Now Rocket League? I'm sure you heard of it even if you don't play it.

This is why alex's opinion is completely wrong. I'm not saying that as my opinion, I'm saying that as a fact.

Ouch.... No hard feelings, but completely disagree. I could argue on, but not sure if anyone actually cares.

But let's talk about something important, only 3.575 days left! Is it too early to start getting aboard?

Find out it's a mobile game
giphy.gif

Ubisoft published Import Tuner Challenge and AFAIK Crave published the Tokyo Xtreme Racer games. Crave is dead so chances are the TXR name might never come back.

I was exactly the same, I remember thinking it looked cheap and just assumed it'd be awful, I didn't buy it for years. It's just by chance I picked up for £3.00 one day and realised it was made by genki, I was in shock

Although I think they're going to stick to the same name worldwide with this new title, things are different now I suppose. Not long left to find out now anyway, I'm trying not to think about it

What ever it's called it better be shutokou for ps4 and
Xb1. Got a friend in Japan and he told me About this to begin with and as far as he knows, it's a ps4 game. But that's just speculation as well. It could be called "super happy fun driving game" for all I care I just want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back