Gran Turismo 7 Engine Swap Compatibility

• Thread starter Famine
  • 5,647 comments
I think I'd like to remind everyone of something I was told in this very thread, though I can't remember who said it to me. When you have a given car that can take an engine, and the range of possible HP doesn't really differ much between the swapped engine and the stock engine when both are fully-tuned - such as in the DeTomaso Pantera, which can take the Coyote 5.0L - there is still a benefit that I (and maybe others) have overlooked. It's how much torque you get at a given RPM, which can have notable improvements over simply tuning the stock engine.

I believe a notable example of this was when there was a Daily Race that limited players to the BMW M3 E46, and you could tune it within a certain power and weight limit. So in theory, all the cars should've been on equal ground, but I think the M3s with the Z4 GT3's engine had better torque, giving them a bit of an advantage.

I think the best way to illustrate this, is to examine the dyno graph (you can view it when tinkering with the full-customize ECU or the power restrictor) on two cars of the same model with the same HP and ideally the same parts installed, but with one model being swapped and the other having its stock engine. The aforementioned DeTomaso Pantera and BMW M3 E46 are good examples in my experience, but other cars may also be good for this experiment as well, such as the Ford Mustang Mach 1.

So yeah, there may be obvious benefits when you put something like a K20 in the Honda Beat or the Escudo engine into the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X, but it would seem there are other benefits besides just having a higher maximum HP.
Yes this also correct, torque plays a big part in engine performance. But I guess when you ask should I put a solid engine swap X into car A, which lacks power on their stock engine, or to car B, which already has a decent engine, the most logical answer is car A. That M3 race was very niche, and while it could still happen again, it is not that likely.

It would be a different story though, if all gr3 or gr4 races had tuning on and they had engine swaps to be put into, because gr3 and gr4 races are so common. Then you could argue Car B if it were a gr3/gr4 car, then that car should have the engine swap.

Last edited:
So, funny thing, I just got a 2nd engine in a 4-star ticket!

13B-REW-RX-7 (Mazda RX-7 FD engine).
Mazda Eunos Roadster NA '89 or the Suzuki Cappuccino '91 are my options.

I’m leaning towards the roadster since it’s already such a fun car to drive.
Do any of you have experience with this dilemma? :P

I think I'd like to remind everyone of something I was told in this very thread, though I can't remember who said it to me. When you have a given car that can take an engine, and the range of possible HP doesn't really differ much between the swapped engine and the stock engine when both are fully-tuned - such as in the DeTomaso Pantera, which can take the Coyote 5.0L - there is still a benefit that I (and maybe others) have overlooked. It's how much torque you get at a given RPM, which can have notable improvements over simply tuning the stock engine.

I believe a notable example of this was when there was a Daily Race that limited players to the BMW M3 E46, and you could tune it within a certain power and weight limit. So in theory, all the cars should've been on equal ground, but I think the M3s with the Z4 GT3's engine had better torque, giving them a bit of an advantage.

I think the best way to illustrate this, is to examine the dyno graph (you can view it when tinkering with the full-customize ECU or the power restrictor) on two cars of the same model with the same HP and ideally the same parts installed, but with one model being swapped and the other having its stock engine. The aforementioned DeTomaso Pantera and BMW M3 E46 are good examples in my experience, but other cars may also be good for this experiment as well, such as the Ford Mustang Mach 1.

So yeah, there may be obvious benefits when you put something like a K20 in the Honda Beat or the Escudo engine into the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X, but it would seem there are other benefits besides just having a higher maximum HP.
Powerband and transient response get massively overlooked by so many. People put way too much importance on peak power numbers imo.

I once put a 2JZ in a S15 to make a drift car and upgraded everything except the turbo- giving it 490hp- and although the peak power numbers are similar / less than you can get out of the SR20, it has a power band and throttle response that a 490ish hp SR20 could only dream of having. Easily cooks the tyres at low rpm.

No replacement for displacement baby 😎

Yes this also correct, torque plays a big part in engine performance. But I guess when you ask should I put a solid engine swap X into car A, which lacks power on their stock engine, or to car B, which already has a decent engine, the most logical answer is car A. That M3 race was very niche, and while it could still happen again, it is not that likely.
Right, but I do like to do most things with consideration towards Sport Mode, even if an event that permits settings of any sort seems to be uncommon, let alone a solid reason to bring your own machine over simply renting. Otherwise, I feel like I already feel set for anything that could pop up within World Circuits or Missions.

Last edited:
I think I am facing a bug or just having a brain fart.

I won the Ford GT LM engine and even though I own the Focus RS 18 when I go to tuning parts and click on the engine I only get the option to delete it...

I think I am facing a bug or just having a brain fart.

I won the Ford GT LM engine and even though I own the Focus RS 18 when I go to tuning parts and click on the engine I only get the option to delete it...
Are you currently in the Focus?

Anyone have a tune for the EK Civic with the K20 swap? I figured I would put a Civic engine in a Civic but instantly regretted not putting it the integra, oh well hopefully we get that new method of getting engine swaps and I can get another…

So, funny thing, I just got a 2nd engine in a 4-star ticket!

13B-REW-RX-7 (Mazda RX-7 FD engine).
Mazda Eunos Roadster NA '89 or the Suzuki Cappuccino '91 are my options.

I’m leaning towards the roadster since it’s already such a fun car to drive.
Do any of you have experience with this dilemma? :P

Suzuki Capuccino became a supercar after I put the RX engine on it. You can beat anything in that. But if you want a more realistic car, you can choose Roadster

I won the P65B44-Z4 (BMW Z4 GT3 engine) today!

I’m leaning towards putting it in the BMW M3 '03 since I already own it.
My other option is the BMW 3.0 CSL '73 which I’ll have to wait for.

Has anyone here experimented with both?
I would love some recommendations :)
Both are good. The 73 is considerably lighter and so very formidable with that amount of power. The M3 is also very good and very useful in lots of races. To wait, or not to wait, your choice!

In the last 5 months I got two engines (one from a menu and one from the carousel of despair). For me the engine swaps started to lose their appeal...
Yeah, I fullfilled one of the ridiculous car collections that promised a chance at an engine, ( a 6 star prize) and I got a six star choice alright with NO ENGINES!?!? Nice FALSE ADVERTISING PD, IN YOUR OWN GAME!

AS a guy who does the maintenance for FOUR cars in our family IRL, I don't want anymore cars. Why would anyone want more than the 400 cars which I already own in GT7? They need to get off the car collector thing.

End of sermon.

Yeah, I fullfilled one of the ridiculous car collections that promised a chance at an engine, ( a 6 star prize) and I got a six star choice alright with NO ENGINES!?!? Nice FALSE ADVERTISING PD, IN YOUR OWN GAME!
No, six-star tickets do not promise a chance at an engine. They may contain anything.

Six-star engine tickets, on the other hand, contain only engines.

No, six-star tickets do not promise a chance at an engine. They may contain anything.

Six-star engine tickets, on the other hand, contain only engines.
The inference was on the 3 car collection, where it said that completion entitled a 6 star chance for engines.

On a different note, can anyone tell me how to get a jeep? I've got the hellcat engine waiting for it, but I'm not sure where I can get it.

Thanks for any info.
Cheers, Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
The inference was on the 3 car collection, where it said that completion entitled a 6 star chance for engines.

On a different note, can anyone tell me how to get a jeep? I've got the hellcat engine waiting for it, but I'm not sure where I can get it.

Thanks for any info.
Cheers, Pete
I think you win it from golding one of the early mission tiers.

Thanks for any info.
Cheers, Pete

Unless the ticket clearly states ‘6 Star (Engine)’ then there is absolutely no guarantee that a ticket will include an engine as a potential prize!

There are only two specific tickets in game Engine and Parts FYI. All other tickets are purely random

......On a different note, can anyone tell me how to get a jeep? I've got the hellcat engine waiting for it, but I'm not sure where I can get it.

Thanks for any info.
Cheers, Pete
The Jeep does show up in Haggerty's from time to time. Not sure when it appears next.

Thanks for any info.
Cheers, Pete
I think you win it from golding one of the early mission tiers.
@mustangxr ...

@CotillionRope is correct. It's the Magic Mountain missions you need to get all gold on to be awarded the Willy's Jeep.

There must be some misinterpretation here, because there's no such thing as a "6 star chance for engines".

At the moment there are three types of six-star tickets. They are:
  • Six-Star Roulette Ticket: The highest level of roulette ticket. They may award any prize of any type - cars, credits, engines, invitations, parts - but no one type is guaranteed, and most often they give high-value credit rewards.
  • Six-Star Roulette Ticket (Engine): These only contain engines used in engine-swaps; all five prizes on the wheel will be engines (although you have no way of knowing what they are!)
  • Six-Star Roulette Ticket (Parts): These only contain Special Parts - higher-grade components not available elsewhere in the game which offer a performance advantage over the parts you can buy in the Tuning Shop. All five prizes on the wheel will be parts (although you have no way of knowing what cars they are for)

You can get any of them from "the 3 car collection" (Extra Menu Books), depending on what the collection is.

Extra Menus 3 (Rotary), 7 (Gr.2), 10 (NSX), 13 (GT-R), 14 (BMW i6), and 15 (Bugatti) give Six-Star Engine tickets. Extra Menus 5 (Viper), 6 (Abarth), 11 (Silvia), and 12 (Renault) give Six-Star Parts tickets. Extra Menus 19 (Ford GT) and 20 (Shelby) give regular Six-Star tickets.

If you got a six-star ticket that didn't give you an engine, it very definitely was not a Six-Star Engine ticket as they only contain engines and nothing else. A Six-Star Parts ticket only contains Special Parts and nothing else. If the ticket you drew contained other types of things, it was a regular Six-Star ticket.

Of course your console records everything you see, so it would have been easy to tap the Create/Share button and save the last minute of the game to preserve this occasion.

On a different note, can anyone tell me how to get a jeep?
The Willys Jeep appears in the Legends Cars Dealer on rotation (roughly every couple of months), or as a prize for completing all of the Magic Mountain missions to gold standard.

I won the P65B44-Z4 (BMW Z4 GT3 engine) today!

I’m leaning towards putting it in the BMW M3 '03 since I already own it.
My other option is the BMW 3.0 CSL '73 which I’ll have to wait for.

Has anyone here experimented with both?
I would love some recommendations :)
So, before the physics were updated I would ha e told you 100% to put it in the E36, but with the updated physics MANY of the old school cars have become useable with such powerful engines.

I have the engine (a few of them) in both cars, so I can test them both out, settings and all and give you an updated review.

I'm still assuming the E46 is the best option though, considering the 6 speed and the modern chassis.

Didn't like the Audi S1 Quattro engine in it, so I exited the game.

Will wait for Thursday's update and see if it changes.

IMG_20230523_065134.jpg

Didn't like the Audi S1 Quattro engine in it, so I exited the game.

Will wait for Thursday's update and see if it changes.
jurismo8: Similar story just happened to me this morning where I got an engine I already have 13 of (LT5 Corvette C7) thankfully we get an update tomorrow night, I also will have 27 fresh roulette tickets waiting

Last edited:
Are all of the engine swaps references to real-life vehicles? Or do they get inspiration from somewhere else?
A little from column A and a little from column B, with a dash of PD logic sprinkled on top. :lol:

I’ve seen V8 4C’s, but only at hillclimb events, LS/LT1 swaps are more obvious and well known & the V12 swap for the F40 you could argue is a homage to the Enzo test mule which was dressed up as a 348. :P

Got the Enzo one on my first rulete engine ticket since the game came out, i'm not claiming it as i would never swap a F40, knowing my luck i will get a corvette engine which i have millions more than the chevy factory

Back