Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,432 comments
My 918 "Spider" in one of the locations I saw most this week. ;) Good luck to the franchise!

Washington Street, Brooklyn_.jpeg

(I'm sure you noticed the Empire State Building in the background...)

Last edited:
My 918 "Spider" in one of the locations I saw most this week. ;) Good luck to the franchise!

View attachment 1296803
(I'm sure you noticed the Empire Staes in the background...)
Manhattan Bridge, I've been to the park at the bottom of that road, and the ice cream parlour by the Brooklyn Bridge a few blocks west. I think it's great seeing scapes at places I've been to.

Last edited:

View attachment 1296803
(I'm sure you noticed the Empire Staes in the background...)
Yeahp, I see it from the distance.

That's in Washington Street in Dumbo, Brooklyn (and that spot is well-known for that angle of the Brooklyn Bridge).

Makes me wish they brought back the NYC circuit to GT7 with the inclusion of Brooklyn/Dumbo layouts.

That's in Washington Street in Dumbo, Brooklyn (and that spot is well-known for that angle of the Brooklyn Bridge).

Makes me wish they brought back the NYC circuit to GT7 with the inclusion of Brooklyn/Dumbo lalayouts.
All correct, except it's the Manhatten Bridge. It'd be nice to see the New York track back, but I don't think we'll see any new city or returning coty tracks any time soon until AI can do enough of the leg work accurately enough.

Going back to my post from earlier, imagine if Polyphony brought back the New York circuit to coincide with the release of Spider Man 2...

(they actually brought in a 1950's Vette to coincide with the theatrical release of Barbie.)
Feel like that was more of a coincidence then anything actually intentional.

Going back to my post from earlier, imagine if Polyphony brought back the New York circuit to coincide with the release of Spider Man 2...

(they actually brought in a 1950's Vette to coincide with the theatrical release of Barbie.)
One of the most nostalgic events for me, in the GT4, was the Driving Mission 11 in New York...

As I said in the 'Cooking' thread, if that happened I would fall out my chair...

....................................................................................................................

Empire State Building* (post edited... respect the Icons, please).

Last edited:
7 days left on the special time trials, but I think it would be a bit odd for an update to drop on a Sunday. Perhaps sometime in the week after those finish is more likely.
2nd of November is the Thursday. I can't remember for certain but I think the last update was on a Thursday too, though they could easily switch that up again.

I don't really know where to post this but Forza Motorsport's free play mode makes me lament the old "arcade" mode from GT3 and GT4. Back when I was young, I had no clue how the career mode worked so I just wasted hours in arcade mode because it was a quick and easy way to have some fun. One massive bonus in the case of GT4 was being able to drive cars that I'd seen on Top Gear and in books, which for me as a 7 year old was fantastic. It sparked a passion for all things automotive, but when I look at GT7 now I'm not sure if it can do the same for today's 7 year olds. Of course, things have changed a lot but being able to drive a car that you've seen on TV, out on the track, on the street or on social media leaves an impression on you. That's one of the greatest things about video games - accessibility. Forza hasn't forgotten this but GT has, and I think it's part of the reason why it's not as popular as it used to be. Video games are a great way to connect with a young audience but if you put up all these unnecessary barriers to entry, they'll just do something else instead. This is why I fear for the future of GT as a franchise. It will lose it's staying power in the racing game space if it can't attract new fans. Sure, the role of the car in society has changed but I still think that there's an opportunity to keep the passion alive.

I don't really know where to post this but Forza Motorsport's free play mode makes me lament the old "arcade" mode from GT3 and GT4. Back when I was young, I had no clue how the career mode worked so I just wasted hours in arcade mode because it was a quick and easy way to have some fun. One massive bonus in the case of GT4 was being able to drive cars that I'd seen on Top Gear and in books, which for me as a 7 year old was fantastic. It sparked a passion for all things automotive, but when I look at GT7 now I'm not sure if it can do the same for today's 7 year olds. Of course, things have changed a lot but being able to drive a car that you've seen on TV, out on the track, on the street or on social media leaves an impression on you. That's one of the greatest things about video games - accessibility. Forza hasn't forgotten this but GT has, and I think it's part of the reason why it's not as popular as it used to be. Video games are a great way to connect with a young audience but if you put up all these unnecessary barriers to entry, they'll just do something else instead. This is why I fear for the future of GT as a franchise. It will lose it's staying power in the racing game space if it can't attract new fans. Sure, the role of the car in society has changed but I still think that there's an opportunity to keep the passion alive.
With today’s youth, if a child doesn’t have parents that enjoy motorsports, I’d say there would have to be some kind of Motorsport partnership with social media influencers.

Maybe the Gran Turismo movie broke the ice for those uninterested in motorsports, to have a look. I mean, for Formula One to have all kinds of people talking due to the Netflix show, potential fans needs to met where they are. Gran Turismo would have to be promoted other ways to engage the youth.

There are Gran Turismo diecast cars and such. Maybe there needs to be an app where PD put out a couple cars, similar to time trials, for anyone to try. Experience the top speed of the Veyron or drive a kei car around Tsukuba. Paint a car and add some cute decals. I guess that’s how something can start.

GT1-3 had Arcade modes with progression and unlocks, more in each sequel than the last, to the point where GT3 asked you to beat every track layout on three difficulties (with a secret fourth) to unlock more cars.

Gran Turismo 4 had a hugely different approach, the Arcade car selection started at 180(?) cars (from memory), and could be built into the full encyclopaedia of cars by acquiring them in GT mode (checkboxes would've really helped. :lol:)

For whatever reason, GT4's approach to Arcade freedom hasn't been seen again in GT, while Forza continues to let players drive any car for free (except in online time trials just for owners, the opposite of GT7). What's weirder, the new FM still doesn't allow customised grids, while GT7 does, but asks you to bankroll the whole race!

GT1-3 had Arcade modes with progression and unlocks, more in each sequel than the last, to the point where GT3 asked you to beat every track layout on three difficulties (with a secret fourth) to unlock more cars.

Gran Turismo 4 had a hugely different approach, the Arcade car selection started at 180(?) cars (from memory), and could be built into the full encyclopaedia of cars by acquiring them in GT mode (checkboxes would've really helped. :lol:)

For whatever reason, GT4's approach to Arcade freedom hasn't been seen again in GT, while Forza continues to let players drive any car for free (except in online time trials just for owners, the opposite of GT7). What's weirder, the new FM still doesn't allow customised grids, while GT7 does, but asks you to bankroll the whole race!
GT4 had 240 rental cars in its Arcade mode, roughly a third of the game's car list.

One can hope that having all cars available as rental cars would be part of this "big" update that is being teased.

Next update; every car in the game available for Music Rally
Ideal if you can create and auto-generate custom Music Rallies with any car, track and song of your choice (for as long as the song is featured in the game).

It might sound ridiculous, but it's an idea that can and will actually work very well.

Last edited:
One question about Music Rallies. Are there different physics or all cars are tuned up or something? I feel like those classic cars are much easier to drive than in normal mode.

Back