Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 40,925 comments
Update history would suggest otherwise (just to be clear I'm talking about Gr 1/2/3/4 cars). We had the Mazda3 last September. Mercedes-AMG GT3 and Super Formula SF23 last April. Audi RS5 Turbo DTM last March. 4 race cars in a year.

I hear you but a new gt sport is still not the anwser, and would eliminate so much of the pontential we could have with a full featured gt game, and if you look at the history of gt sport updates like 80% of them was road cars,
There is plenty of other racing games that focus mainly on race cars already, gran turismo dosen’t need to go there, but i dont deny that pd could balance the choises they made for the updates a bit better at times,

Last edited:
I’m convinced that the GR Yaris with the 2JZ-GTE is the best engine swap in the game, especially considering its relatively low cost if you don’t already have such an engine laying around. I’ve used it in World Circuits events that have both a 600 and 700 PP cap, though for the WTC 700, I prefer to use a Ford Mustang Gr.4 that I had won through the missions.

But if there’s a better (or even comparable) swap, I’d be interested. Sure, you could put the Ford GT racecar engine into the Ford Focus RS, but I’m pretty sure that engine is notably more expensive than the 2JZ. Plus the GR Yaris itself is relatively affordable, too, in case you don’t want to (or can’t) use the free GR Yaris that you naturally get through the base menus. Plus if you set the torque ratio set to 50:50, I feel like the acceration can get pretty nuts!

Last edited:
I hear you but a new gt sport is still not the anwser, and would eliminate so much of the pontential we could have with a full featured gt game, and if you look at the history of gt sport updates like 80% of them was road cars,
There is plenty of other racing games that focus mainly on race cars already, gran turismo dosen’t need to go there, but i dont deny that pd could balance the choises they made for the updates a bit better at times,
We are gonna get another 5-10 proper Gr1/Gr2/Gr3/Gr4 race cars at most till the end of the GT7 lifespan, while the remaining few dozens will probably be mostly road cars and maybe a couple of racing cars belonging to other categories.

He followed up with this about GT7 in particular (obviously games being 70 now impacts this a bit, but still):

Given GT7 has only had two full years on the market we can expect at least one more year with good support. If, as I suspect, GT7 will also be a showcase title for PS5 Pro (RT, PSVR2 updates etc.), then we can expect at least decent support into '25. Mid '25 is when I expect a GT8 announcement - with a release some 6 months later. So GT8 by Christmas '25 or slipping into early '26.

Given GT7 has only had two full years on the market we can expect at least one more year with good support. If, as I suspect, GT7 will also be a showcase title for PS5 Pro (RT, PSVR2 updates etc.), then we can expect at least decent support into '25. Mid '25 is when I expect a GT8 announcement - with a release some 6 months later. So GT8 by Christmas '25 or slipping into early '26.
I like that

2025 or 2026 is still a bit early. 5 years is a reasonable expectation for current AAA development time. It has increased massively compared to older gens so how quickly GTs were released previosly is irrelevant. 2027 is probably the earliest you should expect the next mainline game, which would likely coincide with the PS6.

2025 or 2026 is still a bit early. 5 years is a reasonable expectation for current AAA development time. It has increased massively compared to older gens so how quickly GTs were released previosly is irrelevant. 2027 is probably the earliest you should expect the next mainline game, which would likely coincide with the PS6.
I agree with you, but I do think the fact that GT7 is cross gen could lead to a slightly shorter cycle.

GT7 carries a lot of last gen baggage that I’m sure PD would love to get rid of.

Whatever is next the future of GT is bright given how great 7 is doing commercially.

I suppose the end of the relevant support phase with loads of new content is probably going to end in Early/Mid '25. On the other hand, the GT8 announcement should happen in summer or in autumn '25 with a late 26' or early/mid '27 release if it gets delayed at the end of this generation. PS6 won't be coming out earlier than late 2027 or 2028 anyway, so they still have plenty of time for a next gen only GT8.

Gran Turismo Sport provided a solid foundation on which GT7 could evolve.
A GT8 can benefit from a shorter development period because it can be an incremental improvement over the current game and they already have enough elements in reserve to justify a new version whenever they want.
With a PS5 Pro they can release a game with Sophy integrated in career mode and Ray Tracing in real time (perhaps even with Mesh shading) which together with 2 or 3 new circuits and 30 or 40 new cars including the renewal of the GR3 and GR1 grids than would be more than enough offer to be commercially attractive.
If Polyphony waits for PS6 then more improvements may be included.

Last edited:
I fully agree that dev times have gotten longer across the board, and I don't expect a new GT before 2026. The only thing that makes me think GT8 might come out still in the PS5 generation (if PD/Sony want it to) is it'd be a game with a relative lack of asset generation.

If you're making a new Last of Us, or a new God of War or so on, you have to make all the environments and new characters from scratch. And generating those 4K assets is really intensive and is a good portion of what is ballooning dev times. But a theoretical GT8 has the old cars and the old tracks already there, and at PS5 fidelity, so can cut down on this at least a bit. Same reason why Insomniac can get Spider-Man out quicker than most - they already had a lot of New York from the first game and Miles Morales. Smart, to be honest.

Insomniac are wizards, they play by different rules.

We’ve strayed a bit offtopic anyway, there’s already a thread of GT8 discussion.

This was just a moan about a lack of new race cars. I prefer racing online nowadays with those vehicles but the roster is incredibly outdated. Current update pace would take about a decade to replace all the older ones. GT hits the sweetspot for me of just-enough-sim (ACC is a bit too much) so I’d just really like another GT esports focused title. They could release it on PC as well to increase the userbase. Just make it absolutely crystal clear from the start that there isn’t & won’t be a singleplayer career mode (save that for a Sophy AI PS6 game).

Not the most popular opinion I know, but us Sport moders deserve some more love than 4 cars a year. They could go the ACC DLC route but I’m too cheap for that.

I fully agree that dev times have gotten longer across the board, and I don't expect a new GT before 2026. The only thing that makes me think GT8 might come out still in the PS5 generation (if PD/Sony want it to) is it'd be a game with a relative lack of asset generation.

If you're making a new Last of Us, or a new God of War or so on, you have to make all the environments and new characters from scratch. And generating those 4K assets is really intensive and is a good portion of what is ballooning dev times. But a theoretical GT8 has the old cars and the old tracks already there, and at PS5 fidelity, so can cut down on this at least a bit. Same reason why Insomniac can get Spider-Man out quicker than most - they already had a lot of New York from the first game and Miles Morales. Smart, to be honest.
If GT8 carries all the cars and tracks from GT7 plus some extra entries already at launch and further additions with years of post launch support, the game could reach a total of 700 cars and 45-50 locations at the end. As big or even bigger than GT4! It'll probably have a much bigger career mode than GT7, indeed. Just hoping they make a full implementation of Sophy, B-Spec mode and giving us a full GT League mode with a very lenghty and challenging career with many types of events, missions, endurances and so on as it was with GT2, GT3, GT4 and GT5.

Last edited:
I agree actually, I think crossgen is going to be even more of a big thing next gen than it was this time. Publishers are realising that with how much games cost to make these days, abandoning a big install base to be exclusive to a small one doesn't make much financial sense.

Publishers are realising that with how much games cost to make these days, abandoning a big install base to be exclusive to a small one doesn't make much financial sense.
You are not wrong but it really depends when it releases , if it gonna be at the launch or close to after launch window then being exclusive is meant to push the new console

Last edited:
Keep telling yourself that.
Well some of the early publicity stuff did say PS5 exclusive on it!

IMG_0412.jpeg

Well some of the early publicity stuff did say PS5 exclusive on it!

View attachment 1330822
It also says "coming 2021."

Look, at the end of the day, all we're doing is speculating, we have no reason to believe that GT8 is even a thing. Maybe PD's next game will be Tourist Trophy 2? Or something all together new? Or maybe they'll pull a Rockstar and milk GT7 for 15 years?

The point is that no one here knows, and to speculate so wildly is ridiculous.

Besides, as someone else pointed out elsewhere on GTP, we are now over three years into the existence of the PS5 and there are exactly 13 games that are "exclusive," one of which is only exclusive until the end of May (FFVII Rebirth). Why anyone thinks "Oh, things will totally be different with the PS6" are beyond me.

Last edited:
It also says "coming 2021."

Look, at the end of the day, all we're doing is speculating, we have no reason to believe that GT8 is even a thing. Maybe PD's next game will be Tourist Trophy 2? Or something all together new? Or maybe they'll pull a Rockstar and milk GT7 for 15 years?

The point is that no one here knows, and to speculate so wildly is ridiculous.

Besides, as someone else pointed out elsewhere on GTP, we are now over three years into the existence of the PS5 and there are exactly 13 games that are "exclusive," one of which is only exclusive until the end of May (FFVII Rebirth). Why anyone thinks "Oh, things will totally be different with the PS6" are beyond me.

That „coming in 2021“ isn’t comparable to the „next-gen only“ thing, delays are very common for almost every developer, but it doesn’t happen that often, that games get spread on other platforms, when they originally been announced as being exclusive to one. It was a unusual situation in this industry.

Finally a car invitation ticket...

... for a Bugatti. I'm starting to think that GT Gods don't like Aston Martins (or they don't like me).

Oh Brother Facepalm GIF by reactionseditor
Did you accept that or did you shut the game down to keep the ticket so you can redraw it after the next update?

Edit: A few already mentioned these points while I was responding. But I'll leave the post up.

5 years is reasonable for an open world game built from the ground-up, ie Last of Us 3. But PD aren't building their title from the ground up, the biggest time sinks, cars & tracks, are carried over for multiple iterations. At most tracks would need a refresh with higher quality textures & vegetation. Much of the rest is additional content, game design elements, and technical improvements.

The closest open world example is Spiderman as the game world (New York) was iterated upon.

Spiderman - Sep '18
Spiderman Remastered - Nov '20
Miles Morales - Nov '20
Spiderman 2 - Oct '23

I'd be surprised if PD don't have GT8 ready 4 years after GT7's release. The only reason to delay further is if there's something akin to a GT7 Remastered that takes full advantage of PS5/PS5 Pro. PS6 is not expected until late '28, so we're a good 4+ years away. PD will need a new product on the market well before PS6 releases.

We are gonna get another 5-10 proper Gr1/Gr2/Gr3/Gr4 race cars at most till the end of the GT7 lifespan, while the remaining few dozens will probably be mostly road cars and maybe a couple of racing cars belonging to other categories.
There's no way to judge what PD have planned for DLC. We could get a Super GT GT500 pack with the latest Toyota, Nissan, Honda. Race cars are more suited to themed packs, they did something along those lines in GTS, plus the latest Super Formula in GT7.

Other than a few rally cars and the odd race car, the datamined lists doing the rounds don't tell us much about contemporary race cars (or road cars for that matter). Unless I'm mistaken they don't even include classics like the 88C-V, 905, GT-ONE, R390. I've no doubt PD are working on these alongside the latest models from Hypercar, Super GT, GT3 etc. But these will be highly guarded, the moment any data leaks it would be all over social media.

Last edited:
Last February five cars were added plus PSVR2. I wonder if we’ll finally be able to add more than three cars to Scapes(without photoshopping). It’s so wrong PD make the update shots with more than three cars and we can’t(again without trickery) in game. Actually, just below, made my first photoshopped photo ever. Seriously.
BA50673E-A904-4A2C-9F11-3424E48104BC.jpeg

Latest Posts

Back