Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,119 comments
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the updated menu?
View attachment 1079324

View attachment 1079325
Kaz probably got addicted to one of those mobile game he's been playing lately and thought to himself ''wow, this would look cool on my new game"
But joking aside, I prefer the new one just because it has dynamic time. Plus it has that typical PD eccentricity that I expect from them.

The menu seams to be a work in progress, it's changed before, kinda expecting it to change again depending on the responses.

I'm hoping the dynamic lighting isn't limited to sunrise/sunset, we seen this a lot with tracks in GT5 & GT6 such as Silverstone, I don't know if it's for effect, evening glow of sunset or limitations of the feature.

Kaz probably got addicted to one of those mobile game he's been playing lately and thought to himself ''wow, this would look cool on my new game"
But joking aside, I prefer the new one just because it has dynamic time. Plus it has that typical PD eccentricity that I expect from them.
But the old one also can be updated to include dynamic time right? But what are the eccentricity? The old menu kinda have the usual minimalistic vibe like limiting the visual to icons.
The menu seams to be a work in progress, it's changed before, kinda expecting it to change again depending on the responses.

I'm hoping the dynamic lighting isn't limited to sunrise/sunset, we seen this a lot with tracks in GT5 & GT6 such as Silverstone, I don't know if it's for effect, evening glow of sunset or limitations of the feature.
Or probably the change should be let the player choose which style of menu they want to use.

GT6 was released on time.
And it shouldn't have been. At release it was a downgrade from GT5 Spec II.

How do you know if that's the maximum grid size? It would be odd to go from 20 in GTS to 10 for GT7.
Right, but it's also odd to show races with only 8 and 10 cars in a trailer where you're trying to give examples of what your game will be like.

We don't know anything for sure at this point, but it's a weird choice. The only "good" reason I can think of is that they haven't optimised yet and so they're running those races with small grids so as not to tank the frame rate. But there are other ways to solve that for a trailer - run it on development hardware with more power, or just edit the car count in the corner of the screen. It's not like we could see 30 cars on track if that's what the UI said.

Given the PS4/PS5 thing, it's not outside the realm of possibility that one of the sacrifices that they make for PS4 is grid size.

Hyped for GT7, but for me the elephant in the room is the lack of genuine new tracks. Sure Trial Mountain, Daytona and High Speed Ring look nice, but seriously is that it?! Hope to be proved wrong.
Who knows, I expect maybe some 1-2 new american tracks in addition to what we have seen already. So 33-36 tracks is quite realistic at launch, who knows how much they can add in the next 3-4 years

GT6 was released on time.
For a certain matter of "released" when most of the alleged content upgrades the game was to get to justify it over GT5 didn't come out until months/years later (if PD bothered at all); and when the game already arrived so late in the PS3's life that if PD did end up delaying it it Sony likely would have been better off just cancelling it entirely and having PD shift towards releasing it on PS4.

Here's a criticism I have, and some of you may consider it to be a "hot take" but here goes. There's simply not enough cars in the game. This is a criticism I've shared about GTS as well. Only 420 cars? For a full-scale, "retro-inspired" GT game? With the exception of 1 and 3, all mainline GT games have had a significantly higher amount of cars. Yes, I will concede that there were duplicates and many closely related cars in those games, but still over 420 unique car models to choose from, easily. The sheer number of cars to drive is what makes Gran Turismo, Gran Turismo, and is why the series has appealed to me in a way that no other racing game has. To say it bluntly, yes, quantity over quantity. I'm not sure if there will be more cars added to GT7 in future updates, or there will be DLC like in GT5, but I'm hoping there's going to be much more than just 420 cars. A low car count also kind of invalidates the point of the Used Car Dealership, one of my favorite features of Gran Turismo games. The charm to the UCD is showing up and never knowing what cars will be there, and in GT4/GT5, where there were hundreds and hundreds of cars relegated to the UCD, that charm was always there. If there are only a small number of cars in the UCD, then it gets much more predictable, and loses its lustre altogether.

Also, there does seem to be a possibility that GT7 will have cars that are very similar to one another. For example, in the UCD, I noticed a 1988 Silvia K's, while the License Hall had a 1990 Silvia K's. The only main differences between the two seem to be wheels, and a slight power increase.

No. The only hint is a moisture meter in the Tsukuba/High Speed Ring footage, which suggests surface water levels are variable
Yeah just the way they worded it on their site makes me skeptical about weather or tod changing while playing, I hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:
No. The only hint is a moisture meter in the Tsukuba/High Speed Ring footage, which suggests surface water levels are variable.
Great British Baking Show GIF by PBS

Here's a criticism I have, and some of you may consider it to be a "hot take" but here goes. There's simply not enough cars in the game. This is a criticism I've shared about GTS as well. Only 420 cars? For a full-scale, "retro-inspired" GT game? With the exception of 1 and 3, all mainline GT games have had a significantly higher amount of cars. Yes, I will concede that there were duplicates and many closely related cars in those games, but still over 420 unique car models to choose from, easily. The sheer number of cars to drive is what makes Gran Turismo, Gran Turismo, and is why the series has appealed to me in a way that no other racing game has. To say it bluntly, yes, quantity over quantity. I'm not sure if there will be more cars added to GT7 in future updates, or there will be DLC like in GT5, but I'm hoping there's going to be much more than just 420 cars. A low car count also kind of invalidates the point of the Used Car Dealership, one of my favorite features of Gran Turismo games. The charm to the UCD is showing up and never knowing what cars will be there, and in GT4/GT5, where there were hundreds and hundreds of cars relegated to the UCD, that charm was always there. If there are only a small number of cars in the UCD, then it gets much more predictable, and loses its lustre altogether.

Also, there does seem to be a possibility that GT7 will have cars that are very similar to one another. For example, in the UCD, I noticed a 1988 Silvia K's, while the License Hall had a 1990 Silvia K's. The only main differences between the two seem to be wheels, and a slight power increase.
Nah he tweakin.

I think there may be another track because I remember in a interview during the 2019 GT championship final, Kaz stated that they were originally going to show a brand new to series track but instead released Laguna Seca due to demand.

So the Adria International Raceway decal MIGHT be that new-to-series track that is yet to be revealed.

Last edited:
There’s at least 1 more track we aren’t aware of, because I think if we assume all 84 from GT Sport return, we have 2 layouts from Daytona, High Speed Ring forward and reverse and Trial Mountain forward and reverse. That’s 90 layouts. We may get more than 2 layouts at Daytona, but we’ve only had 2 before.

Adria is likely in the game given it’s logo is in the paint editor. Hopefully we get a couple more principal tracks and more than 1 new to the series tracks.

To me, it looks like the purpose of the UCD is to have the choice to buy certain cars cheaper. You’ll still be able to buy those same cars from Brand Central, but they will cost more since they are obviously new and have zero miles.

No signs of new Vette C8 or BMW M2/M8, aside of that personal expectation I think it was a great trailer, and for the tracks/cars count there are a few months before release and if they keep the updates model from GT Sport I think it'll be fine.

Also I spotted Mexico on the scapes section, I am curious to see what scapes from my country will be there

Last edited:
But the old one also can be updated to include dynamic time right? But what are the eccentricity? The old menu kinda have the usual minimalistic vibe like limiting the visual to icons.

Or probably the change should be let the player choose which style of menu they want to use.
I mean can't you see how strange the menu looks? I don't mean that as a bad thing, in fact I like it.

Yeah just the way they worded it on their site makes me skeptical about weather or tod changing while playing, I hope I’m wrong.
Not sure about every track in the game, but just before the clip changes to the High Speed Ring gameplay, the Tsukuba clip shows the water level drop from 100 to 93. So variable weather whilst playing is present at Tsukuba Circuit
0911D462-1FF5-46A9-A1BD-DFD2B51CF9C2.jpeg

756258B9-7A84-4F94-901A-8AD037B4CCF1.jpeg

Not sure about every track in the game, but just before the clip changes to the High Speed Ring gameplay, the Tsukuba clip shows the water level drop from 100 to 93. So variable weather whilst playing is present at Tsukuba Circuit
View attachment 1079349
View attachment 1079350
Yes also from the wording on the ps blog and offical site it seems to be implemented on every track, even thought, PD and inaccurate wording is something we have seen in the past, so I would rather wait for the game being finally released lol

Last edited:
Nah he tweakin.
Well, I did say hot take. Not like I didn't warn anyone.
To me, it looks like the purpose of the UCD is to have the choice to buy certain cars cheaper. You’ll still be able to buy those same cars from Brand Central, but they will cost more since they are obviously new and have zero miles.
If that's really true, then that further diminishes the point of the UCD. In GT4/GT5, as aforementioned, there were hundreds of cars that were UCD exclusives. If every car in GT7's UCD can be bought at the regular car showroom as well, what is the purpose of even having a UCD? Yes, maybe the UCD would slightly discount said cars' prices, but it's not like credits are particularly hard to come by.

Well, I did say hot take. Not like I didn't warn anyone.
Oh, didn't realize that means I'm not allowed to make a post against it. Either way, I disagree completely and expecting hundreds more is just extremely realistic. How long did it take them to add the large amount of post-release content to GTS, and you expect them to have that much more already? 420 cars is in absolutely no way a low car count.

As much as I loved the nostalgia trip of the trailer, I'm having a hard time finding anything to be particularly excited about other than the relatively close release date. It's all stuff that I've seen and played before.

As someone who skipped GTS after being burnt with GT6, I'm not seeing anything that stands out as an amazing feature that defines the game. GTS had it's online championships and Scapes. GT6 had the Course Maker and a million bajillion cars. GT5 had a single bajillion cars and online play. GT4 was just enormous and spanned the world in a way the games hadn't done before. GT3 was an incredible graphical step up. GT2 was enormous.

I hope that they start revealing more new and exciting things with future trailers. I want to see something I've never experienced before. Nostalgia is fine and all, but it's not enough.
While I share your sentiments, the only thing that makes me personally somewhat optimistic about GT7 is the trip down memory lane.

I skipped GT Sport beyond the open beta for not being my cup of tea, so a return to what made GT great is welcome in my book.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the updated menu?
It's confusing to be honest. I have no idea where I'm suppose to go because the little buildings don't represent what they're suppose to be very well. I feel like in their pursuit of nostalgia they made the game menus very messy and ugly. There is a reason why the map menu was removed from GT5 onward.

Last edited:
420 is an OK number of cars. It's not amazing, it's not incredibly poor like GTS at launch, it's just....OK. Solid. What matters more is the choice and variety in those numbers. If 100+ of them were Skylines, GTOs, Miata's etc like the old days then it'd be bad, but I don't expect that. The variety of what we've seen so far seems, again, OK. We need to wait for the full list to truly judge, of course.

Tracks is definitely a much bigger downer, if is it seems there is only going to be 4-6 new locations, and so far none of them are new to the series. Tracks and variety are what keeps a racing game feeling fresh as you play through it. If you're racing on the same tracks over and over it can become stale, especially if they're not even new to the game.

Plus not that it will bother myself but it means online events are going to be feeling all very familiar over and over again, if they continue with weekly races. You're gonna be doing the same things you've been doing the past four years on GTS, mostly.

People keep mentioning "There will be updates" in response to criticisms but that is no good for those who want to buy the game at launch and play through it straight away. You can only experience a game for the first time once, and once you've completed the Campaign Mode going back to it 4 months later to do 5 new events with one new track or whatever is just not the same. You want a cohesive start to finish career. Not drip fed events every month or two.

Plus there isn't even any guarantee that they will add cars and tracks at the same frequency they did for GTS. They primarily did that because GTS launched with so little, it was almost required. They won't have that feeling this time, so it may be more like GT5 and GT6, much lower in frequency and size.

Last edited:
I don't know if it has already posted, but it looks like gt7 will import kind of car wear management :

wear_management.png

The trailer don't show anything about car damages, but with this shot, it's possible that used car need to be maintained or repair, maybe according to the time passed or how you drive (or not ?) during races

EDIT : and maybe the conditions of the car could affect performances

Last edited:
Back