Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,075 comments
Plus there isn't even any guarantee that they will add cars and tracks at the same frequency they did for GTS. They primarily did that because GTS launched with so little, it was almost required. They won't have that feeling this time, so it may be more like GT5 and GT6, much lower in frequency and size.
I feel that the frequency would be similar, but the price point wont. Especially if they're upping their use of out-sourcing.

EDIT : and maybe the conditions of the car could affect performances
I suspect it'll be like previous GT games where after a certain amount of miles get put onto a car the performance will degrade slightly until you do a rebuild of the engine.

I don't know if it has already posted, but it looks like gt7 will import kind of car wear management :

View attachment 1079352

The trailer don't show anything about car damages, but with this shot, it's possible that used car need to be maintained or repair, maybe according to the time passed or how you drive (or not ?) during races

Also curious what 'extreme' parts would be? Off road parts, like Dakar or Extreme E? But that wouldn't be applicable to an NSX, unless it says 'no parts' when you scroll across. Or maybe they're classing visual/tuner type mods as extreme, whereas the others are performance based?

Last edited:
They've signed a deal with both, oh and the BTCC as well.

I did a CTRL+F of all these and still found no mention of IMSA deal, not even a web search found out anything about it.

Also curious what 'extreme' parts would be? Off road parts, like Dakar or Extreme E? But that wouldn't be applicable to an NSX, unless it says 'no parts' when you scroll across. Or maybe they're classing visual/tuner type mods as extreme, whereas the others are performance based?
I was assuming they could put stuff like Nitrous there, but idk

420 cars is in absolutely no way a low car count.
I don't understand the more = better mentality either. Personally I'd rather go into a restaurant that does 30 great dishes, than one that does 100 mediocre dishes.

My only guess is that people think 3D scanning* (or being given CAD files**) is some is form of magic that can simply be thrown into a game, when the reality is there is an enormous amount of wrangling that has to be done to get the data down to an acceptable size for the game.

* Raw point clouds can be 10's of Gb in size and often very noisy, requiring weeks of work to clean up and optomise the resulting mesh so that its game ready.
** Probably slightly quicker, as doesn't require then noise clean up, but can still take weeks of work to get a model converted from CAD down to a game ready size too.

I don't understand the more = better mentality either. Personally I'd rather go into a restaurant that does 30 great dishes, than one that does 100 mediocre dishes.

My only guess is that people think 3D scanning* (or being given CAD files**) is some is form of magic that can simply be thrown into a game, when the reality is there is an enormous amount of wrangling that has to be done to get the data down to an acceptable size for the game.

* Raw point clouds can be 10's of Gb in size and often very noisy, requiring weeks of work to clean up and optomise the resulting mesh so that its game ready.
** Probably slightly quicker, as doesn't require then noise clean up, but can still take weeks of work to get a model converted from CAD down to a game ready size too.
Mostly true but I think people were hoping that they would have continued outsourcing at an increased rate to be able to increase the count a bit higher. It's the only reason that other game series has such high numbers.

4crorcx3k5f21.png

I don't know if it has already posted, but it looks like gt7 will import kind of car wear management :

View attachment 1079352

The trailer don't show anything about car damages, but with this shot, it's possible that used car need to be maintained or repair, maybe according to the time passed or how you drive (or not ?) during races

Its been in previous versions of GT. Maybe not quite as nuanced as this, previously IIRC you only had to change oil periodically to keep performance up.

I find it quite amusing that there isn't vehicle specific thumbnails where necessary though... the selected car is an NSX but the thumbnail for weight reduction is of an Impreza.

Mostly true but I think people were hoping that they would have continued outsourcing at an increased rate to be able to increase the count a bit higher. It's the only reason that other game series has such high numbers.
They went from 180~ to 330~ in 4 years. I think that an additional 85~ "new" cars have popped out pretty quickly since the last car DLC GTS got. If anything, that might be because they are outsourcing at an increased rate.

If that's really true, then that further diminishes the point of the UCD. In GT4/GT5, as aforementioned, there were hundreds of cars that were UCD exclusives. If every car in GT7's UCD can be bought at the regular car showroom as well, what is the purpose of even having a UCD? Yes, maybe the UCD would slightly discount said cars' prices, but it's not like credits are particularly hard to come by.
I can’t see it working any other way, outside of making a good fraction of the 420 cars UCD exclusive, which I think is an awful idea, especially if you need a specific car to do an event. The UCD is going have more variety than just cheap Japanese cars this time judging by the screenshot. I’ll be pretty annoyed if the only way to get the 2002 Viper is by waiting for it to appear in there.

Last edited:
Here's a criticism I have, and some of you may consider it to be a "hot take" but here goes. There's simply not enough cars in the game. This is a criticism I've shared about GTS as well. Only 420 cars? For a full-scale, "retro-inspired" GT game? With the exception of 1 and 3, all mainline GT games have had a significantly higher amount of cars. Yes, I will concede that there were duplicates and many closely related cars in those games, but still over 420 unique car models to choose from, easily. The sheer number of cars to drive is what makes Gran Turismo, Gran Turismo, and is why the series has appealed to me in a way that no other racing game has. To say it bluntly, yes, quantity over quantity. I'm not sure if there will be more cars added to GT7 in future updates, or there will be DLC like in GT5, but I'm hoping there's going to be much more than just 420 cars. A low car count also kind of invalidates the point of the Used Car Dealership, one of my favorite features of Gran Turismo games. The charm to the UCD is showing up and never knowing what cars will be there, and in GT4/GT5, where there were hundreds and hundreds of cars relegated to the UCD, that charm was always there. If there are only a small number of cars in the UCD, then it gets much more predictable, and loses its lustre altogether.

Also, there does seem to be a possibility that GT7 will have cars that are very similar to one another. For example, in the UCD, I noticed a 1988 Silvia K's, while the License Hall had a 1990 Silvia K's. The only main differences between the two seem to be wheels, and a slight power increase.
Or both quantity and quality, like games such as GT4. Not about adding standard cars or such but I mean that they can't stop after reaching certain number of cars, keep adding more. Though still, GT5 had PD only working on around 200 cars at first, with GT6 having 447 Premium Cars. Though the site did mention that it's "over 420 cars" instead of just 420, but dunno.

But true that car variety is needed for events like Missions such as 1 Lap magic.

View attachment 1079352

They should make the car more dirty for features like car wash, including keeping the dirt intact after events like rally (games like GT5 did make the rally cars dirty in the events).

Sure, though doesn't mean that after they reach certain car count they should stop altogether, adding more cars won't reduce the existing game's quality (and no, not talking about rushing to add more cars but keep their usual quality pace for adding cars).

They went from 180~ to 330~ in 4 years. I think that an additional 85~ "new" cars have popped out pretty quickly since the last car DLC GTS got. If anything, that might be because they are outsourcing at an increased rate.
Hmm. Let's do the maths, albeit somewhat unscientifically:

GTS launch, October 2017 - 168
By October 2018 - +73
October 2019 - +64
October 2020 - +17
October 2021 - +1

It seems like their output during GTS averaged at somewhere around 70 a year. If they continued that pace behind the scenes when they stopped adding cars to GTS then..

168 + (70x4) = 448.

So they are a little off that pace, but not by much. It certainly hasn't increased though. That number also doesn't account for what the modellers are doing between now and March, which should yield another ~30 cars. Hopefully we get those pretty soon after release, or they even make the final game.

Hmm. Let's do the maths, albeit somewhat unscientifically:

GTS launch, October 2017 - 168
By October 2018 - +73
October 2019 - +64
October 2020 - +17
October 2021 - +1

It seems like their output during GTS averaged at somewhere around 70 a year. If they continued that pace behind the scenes when they stopped adding cars to GTS then..

168 + (70x4) = 448.

So they are a little off that pace, but not by much. It certainly hasn't increased though. That number also doesn't account for what the modellers are doing between now and March, which should yield another ~30 cars. Hopefully we get those pretty soon after release, or they even make the final game.
Also at those times they very likely weren't neck deep in developing the next iteration as well. That would likely affect pace I would imagine, at least somewhat. With that in consideration, I think the pace is actually pretty good, matching their highest output point.

There are still past GT Awards cars that appeared in GT titles and recent ones that have yet to appear. Also, some cars PD may have created(such as some Gr.3 & Gr.4 cars). Add the recent Genesis race cars revealed and there’s a few more. Maybe Genesis road versions as well. The Starion. GT Sport Safety cars(maybe new ones) and Gr.3/B road car variants. The list goes on and on of what we’ll possibly get.

As for the GT Menu, I want to know what’s the deal with the planes and boats.

I like what Poly want to do with GT7. That said, I'm not impressed by the graphics. I can't believe that Poly just can't make beautiful detailed tracks today. They went from the best to something too generic IMO. It's just common sense, why did they include this scene in the trailer?!! The gap between Forza Horizon and GT in terms of tracks details is ridiculous. 30 fps or not. I will buy GT7 for sure, but I know what to expect from Poly today. If they think it's good enough to show this scene in the most viewed Sony event of the year... that some low ambitions. This is at the same time sad and funny. Racing at Alsace track on my PS5 :lol:

Sans titre.png

I like what Poly want to do with GT7. That said, I'm not impressed by the graphics. I can't believe that Poly just can't make beautiful detailed tracks today. They went from the best to something too generic IMO. It's just common sense, why did they include this scene in the trailer?!! The gap between Forza Horizon and GT in terms of tracks details is ridiculous. 30 fps or not. I will buy GT7 for sure, but I know what to expect from Poly today. If they think it's good enough to show this scene in the most viewed Sony event of the year... that some low ambitions. This is at the same time sad and funny. Racing at Alsace track on my PS5 :lol:

View attachment 1079410
The part I don't get with that is they modelled that dam for what? You won't even see it whilst racing. Not the first time they've added scenery to tracks that you don't even see.

The part I don't get with that is they modelled that dam for what? You won't even see it whilst racing. Not the first time they've added scenery to tracks that you don't even see.
This reminds me how the back seats are modeled with an absurd level of detail for no reason.

Wouldn't you happen to see it in replays? It looks fairly close to the road. I imagine that's why it was modelled.
Well maybe, but should they be prioritising replays over what you see in actual gameplay?

Last edited:
That pic makes that part of HSR look like the old Nintendo 64 golf games. I think that's the main concern with how it looks. There's no festival or life to it.

I get how many real world tracks have no signs of life. Sections of Le Sarthe, Bathurst, Nurburgring. Nearly look like a player used the course creator.

Well maybe, but should they be prioritising replays over what you see in actual gameplay?
I'd imagine that it's not very well detailed at all if we could actually get a good look at it. We're also assuming that it was prioritized over...well.. anything really. It could have been saved for last?

I love watching replays in GTS and hope you can fly a drone camera during a replay and record it. Or at least have multiple angles to choose from.

That Tsukuba scene looks kind of gross but Le Mans, for example, looks beautiful, imo. Maybe some tracks are finished and some are still a work in progress. Adding WIP footage to trailers is pretty common.

Last edited:
Everyone after seeing that GT7 was Cross-Gen: Raises points about limited potential held back by 8 year old hardware
PD Casually revealing Variable Time and Weather potentially for said 8 year old hardware:

1631304473855.png

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back