Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,119 comments
As much as I love to have that drone camera as a feature, GT engine isn't built for an open world game, it will expose the flaws of the visuals. The further you go the more pop in, low poly details you'll see. They certainly don't want the player to see all of those. It's a racing game meant to be played with first person or third person camera, so you can see the details up close.
Perhaps you're right but I feel like the tracks do get pretty detailed. Heck, @Whistle Snap has even driven out there in the boonies of those tracks and it doesn't look too bad. And the free camera was also used as far back as Black Ops on PS3. I do understand that PD may want to hide the ugly side of the track area, though.

Yeah I have doubts it's a stable 60fps on ps4, especially since they're also rendering volumetric procedural 3D clouds instead of skybox texture loops. Environment assets are still straight out of GTSport last-gen quality, but at least they didn't skimp on the dynamic features.

My feelings is that PD should take the ACC approach with GT7....

• GT7 is optimized and built for PS5
  • GT7 is 95% accessible with some compromises on ps4 pro (i.e. ...... maybe some aspects of career mode are only playable with PS5).... but with diminished frame rates in online/career mode races that have dynamic weather.
  • GT7 is only "playable" on standard PS4. ~ the frame rates suck, a lot of the background detail off of the track is gone, so on and so forth. Think ACC on PS4. The whole game is there but it kinda sucks.

This approach would "technically" appease all the masses... but it would more or less force people into new consoles which in the end, the $$$ is all its really about.

Like I've said before numerous times, this is how I think it will go from Playstation's perspective with all of these new Cross-console-generation games:

- Said game comes out (gt7, GOW, etc.)
  • PS4 pro goes on sale for an even more discounted price for one last major run on the assembly line
  • Standard PS4 goes away both on the assembly line and on the shelf
  • PS5 production gets ramped up

----> most standard ps4 owners buy a PS5.
----> PS4 "pro" owners flip a coin
----> a minority of standard ps4 owners decide to buy a ps4 "pro" because of the heavily discounted price.

--------> SONY WINS BIG either way!!

Its "
capitalism 101" ladies and gents....

Last edited:
Three Project Cars titles say hi...
I'm just making a joke on what others have said, not me. I am definitely intrigued by the potential idea that Variable Time and Weather might be on both as opposed to only in one game though.

Last edited:
I don't know if we have seen this version of the picture, you can see more of the whole car.
20210911_034757.jpg

I got this from Gran Turismo's Twitter account

Last edited:
GT7 European map.JPG

For those of you concerned about the implementation of DLC tracks, I have a theory. You see, at the bottom of this screenshot you can see "Available Event Race" so it stands to reason that a DLC track would also include a collection of events. Now as these are single races rather than championships, PD could keep adding new tracks and events as they did with GT Sport. If a DLC tracks is to be included in a championship, PD would have to create a brand new one to make it work.

To talk a little more about this image - ffs Polyphony.

1631326358365.png

Braking tests were arguably dumb in 1997. TWO braking tests in 2021 is just ****ing lazy. You get paid big bucks to come up with engaging gameplay, and instead you decided to mail it in.

I'm reasonably optimistic about this game (for me at least), but **** like this just makes me angry. It's history for the sake of history, with no consideration as to whether it's actually good gameplay or not. Licenses are not a bad idea, and introducing the ideas of different types of corners during it is fine and good. But you don't need to check if people understand the concept of "go" and "stop" before allowing them to play your game.

One of my mates is working near Dunsfold and he mentioned that there was laser scanners set up on the Top Gear Test Track for a few weeks could potentially mean something for GT7?

@gokartman78

Licenses are not a bad idea, and introducing the ideas of different types of corners during it is fine and good. But you don't need to check if people understand the concept of "go" and "stop" before allowing them to play your game.
Is it really that unnecessary though? Keep in mind that Gran Turismo is targeting not only veterans of the genre but also absolute newcomers. My first GT game was GT4 and I still remember doing the licenses for the very first time. Now I don't know how much these brake tests have helped me develop my skills but I'd wager that for the average Joe, who is neither involved in real motorracing nor has played any reasonably realistic racing games before, getting a concept of braking distances is crucial. And the fact that there are two tests actually helps to convey this lesson because it illustrates just how much of a difference the initial speed makes. It's the same for licenses B-3 and B-4. They take place on the exact same stretch of road but one has you using a small lightweight car while the other puts you at the wheel of a larger, heavier vehicle that will get carried to the outside if you get on the power too early. It is these small but important lessons every new player needs to learn in order to get the most out of the game.

View attachment 1079475

Braking tests were arguably dumb in 1997. TWO braking tests in 2021 is just ****ing lazy. You get paid big bucks to come up with engaging gameplay, and instead you decided to mail it in.

I'm reasonably optimistic about this game (for me at least), but **** like this just makes me angry. It's history for the sake of history, with no consideration as to whether it's actually good gameplay or not. Licenses are not a bad idea, and introducing the ideas of different types of corners during it is fine and good. But you don't need to check if people understand the concept of "go" and "stop" before allowing them to play your game.
If Sport Mode taught us anything, it's that some people don't how to operate the brake!

Last edited:

View attachment 1079475

"I don't like these tests so they shouldn't exist"

It's OK, you don't have to gold these tests to get the license if they're too hard for you

:lol::lol:

In all seriousness, I think these tests are as important as all others, even more so with two very different cars, as the screen cap is showing

Regarding the '420+ cars and 90+ locations'; that really isn't much more than Sport, no, but I don't think PD have been sitting on their hands for 2 years.

Considering how many of the cars added to Sport (RX500, Swift '07)and shown in the GT7 trailers (Murcielago, Aqua) are returning Premium models, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect nearly every Premium car in GT7, adding the 200 or so not in Sport would push the list up to 550 with no new additions, which is why I expected 700+.

For tracks, 90+ variants is a very minor claim considering 84 in Sport (with no reason to expect any being dropped), and that may mean just 3-5 more locations at launch. Considering they developed over a dozen new track locations for Sport, I'd say there's a bunch more in store to be released in regular updates.

Tl;dr, point is, it's not a staggeringly huge line-up at launch for cars or tracks, but I expect it's because they're applying a update-heavy model like GT Sport (or CTRNF) because people like coming back for new stuff, and companies like player retention. It's a win for all of us. Well... besides the anxious wait for news of Red Rock Valley and Tahiti.
(edit: an apostrophe)

Last edited:
how likely is a PS5 going to be more widely available come march 04, 2022?

its a $749 here and thats even if you can one

I think you are subestimated (or overstimated lol) the people, is so dumb. Even the press play GT or any sim so badly, they do not know how to brake... I even wish I took my eyes off when I watch them play.

The GT players are not the user of this forum

Has it crossed your mind that you're not the only person who will play this game? For a lot of people, young and old, this will be their first Gran Turismo. It might even be their first introduction to driving.

Beyond the shiny graphics and nostalgia pandering with GT1-4 intros, honestly there's really not much new or groundbreaking stuff here. As many have predicted, it's basically GT6+GTS with improved graphics and the world map menu (albeit in 3D, though I doubt it's free roam-able).

Some thoughts and tidbits from the trailer and various news pics:
  • Home menu top left icon is probably a speedometer so machine test maybe returning? Top right is the one I'm really not sure about.
  • GT cafe - good way to guide new players into car collecting, but for the rest of us who are already going to buy all the cars, it's a pretty underwhelming feature.
  • Livery editor much the same. Desperately needs a better search function that doesn't rely on external websites.
  • More scapes are always welcome 👍 Amazing they managed to do this despite all the travel restrictions because of you know what.
  • PP system is back - let's hope it works better than N class system.
  • Mileage currency gone - bye bye useless mileage exchange. Hopefully special colours and rims are all unlocked from the start.
  • Auction house/UCD - honestly I much prefer static dealerships with everything available at all times. Price in auction house is steep but probably JP version. Also Mangusta is mispelt.
  • Photo frames feature? Probably just a background slideshow of our photos in the garage.
  • HSR is back. Good start but hoping for more original tracks.
  • Oil change/engine/chassis wear is back. Not a fan personally. I'd like to be able to drive the cars without worrying about losing power/performance and spending even more money to fix them.
  • Body customization similar to GT6 - hopefully the front splitter adds downforce to balance the rear. Who knows if the wide body option is just visual or also comes with full DF like the old Racing Modifications.
  • New rims customization (width and offset) 👍
  • Wetness indicator on track, but surface still looks pretty static (no puddles, no aquaplaning, no wet lines).
  • Physics looks much the same.
  • Old Castrol Supra/Pennzoil R34 - but where is the period equivalent NSX???
  • Willys Jeep - defo best part of the trailer :D
  • Love the gothic orchestra version of MOTC, but the second music gives me a headache.
  • Release date sooner than I thought, but this is PD so a delay is not impossible.

I'll probably get the PS4 version unless it's highly compromised in performance or missing a big feature like time of day/weather.

Last edited:
We still saw changes to the start of GT. The Clio "test" at Brands Hatch, in GT6. That introduced players to gauge their skill level.
GT Sport put players behind the wheel straightaway.

The licence tests can still be different. It's been argued through the years, in these forums, that it can be updated. New players may not need to experience what past players experienced, the same way the tests were constructed. That's the point.

We'll see if the tests are optional. Another point that has been argued. Some players don't NEED to do a test to prove they can drive the in-game cars. If GT7 require these test to progress to professional levels, why? Why not allow experienced players to go straight to a higher level of play, while the beginners learn to progress?

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the updated menu?
View attachment 1079324

View attachment 1079325

In hopes that PD will browse the the most recent posts of this thread, I hope that they allow the option to choose between the two Menu options. With day/night they are both fantastic. But I would much prefer to select the original idea rather than the uncharacteristic CaRPG vibe the new version is giving off.

Really hope seasonal events make a return to GT Mode. I really hope PD don't think the usual two time trials (sport mode) is gonna cut it.
A next gen, "always online" racing game in 2022 needs a large, diverse selection of live events.
And sport mode absolutely requires a wider variety of championships.
I expected it until GT Sport went on sale, but in reality there was nothing but the nations cup and the manufacturer series.

Last edited:
Back