Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,083 comments
Isn't that what BoP is supposed to be for though? I mean if it's in Gr.2, that means it's also (supposed) to be on a level playing field with the 2008 GT500's, and the old GT1 cars too.
Just because Polyphony hasn't managed to balance them well themselves doesn't make it impossible for them to be balanced at all. Higher downforce cars getting more ballast weight to compensate etc.

This is why I wish there was a way of creating custom BoP's using the power/weight % sliders we had in GT Sport. I ran a racing league that managed to balance the performance of Hybrid & Non-Hybrid Gr.1 cars and it was awesome. Even included VGT's.
One year at Spa there was a 7 second lap difference between GT3's in GT Open and SRO GT. This was all down to different restrictors, ballast and tyre compounds.

With more car types in each respective Group I'd like to see PD tailor racing for specific classes, ie Group C, GT1, Classic GT500. A simple way to greatly increase the amount of single player content. All they would need is new cover art!

All this talk of making the game look better if it was PS5 pro... I'd rather we got some actual championships and a true campaign. There are a lot of multi-player options, a lot of scapes.

Why not give something more meaningful to the offline player than grind races?
The two updates of real significance where PSVR2 support and Spec II. As I recall both included more than regular monthly updates. If there's a specific PS5 Pro focused update I suspect it would also include more. Who knows we may at long last get the promised Endurance races and more Missions!

Last edited:
I know of quite a few people who have practically given up on the game at this point due to the utter lack of stuff to do and mostly lacklustre updates. The online especially is hilariously lacking, not only when compared to other games on the market but also its own predecessors (???)

There has no doubt they have drop a off a bit,
But its still going on quite strong, i would absolutly not go and say it dead.

I just don’t understand why Sport mode pays out so little.

Given one can grind 1m per hour in single-player, Sport mode should be likewise. Have race A/B pay out 300K and C 500K for finishing, plus extra for position, and suddenly player engagement is increased. You’d also get less folks quitting mid-race if there’s 500K at stake.

Once single player has been exhausted, Sport mode is where the player retention is at yet PD seem determined to make Sport less and less attractive.

I’d also like to see the ticket system scale with consecutive days, so you get 6* tickets for every consecutive day after 6 days. Again, a small change that would encourage engagement.

More moving chicanes to pass through for the wonderful "chase the rabbit" "AI" racing ?

I'd wish for better AI first, even with less cars.
Honestly, if you want racing, online is where you get that. I have no faith in offline being able to mirror that. I think chase the rabbit sucks just as much as you and everyone else but offline is kind of a procession, just going through it as a completionist and to pick up the credits. That’s it. It doesn’t provide racing.

16 cars is simply NOT enough.

Last edited:
Honestly, if you want racing, online is where you get that.
Yep but I'll only have choice between the daily races, and will need to deal with all manners of shenanigans. I do race online, on a private lobby with friends and we have a blast on combos we select. Other than that it is TTs and single player content like weeklies.

So I'd prefer a better AI than more cars on the track.

Honestly, if you want racing, online is where you get that. I have no faith in offline being able to mirror that. I think chase the rabbit sucks just as much as you and everyone else but offline is kind of a procession, just going through it as a completionist and to pick up the credits. That’s it. It doesn’t provide racing.

16 cars is simply NOT enough.

16 cars would be fine if those cars were fast.

The drop of between the first 2 and the rest of the field in GT is ridiculous sometimes.

ACC has great, very scalable and very competitive AI.

Will never understand how a small Italian team can do it, but the industry juggernaut can’t pull it off.

Will never understand how a small Italian team can do it, but the industry juggernaut can’t pull it off.
But they can, that's the frustating part. Anyone can create a custom race, adjust some sliders and have a fantastic race, with grid start, which is competitive from start to finish.

Why there are no such races in the menu books or rest of the singleplayer will always baffle me.

I just don’t understand why Sport mode pays out so little.

Given one can grind 1m per hour in single-player, Sport mode should be likewise. Have race A/B pay out 300K and C 500K for finishing, plus extra for position, and suddenly player engagement is increased. You’d also get less folks quitting mid-race if there’s 500K at stake.

Once single player has been exhausted, Sport mode is where the player retention is at yet PD seem determined to make Sport less and less attractive.

I’d also like to see the ticket system scale with consecutive days, so you get 6* tickets for every consecutive day after 6 days. Again, a small change that would encourage engagement.
This would also encourage more players to go online yeah downside for some but I'd rather have a full lobby always

Have race A/B pay out 300K and C 500K for finishing, plus extra for position, and suddenly player engagement is increased. You’d also get less folks quitting mid-race if there’s 500K at stake.
If it's 500k just for not quitting, I'm not sure you going to get particularly good racing.

All this talk of making the game look better if it was PS5 pro... I'd rather we got some actual championships and a true campaign. There are a lot of multi-player options, a lot of scapes.

Why not give something more meaningful to the offline player than grind races?
YEAUP! Ability to spectate, or get notified when followed folks are starting races to watch. Player operated tuner shops. League Support in game! AI commentary option in replays. Automatic race highlights shared for others to see quick FYP style <= 30 second clips, etc. The tech is here, the ideas have been here for decades, it's just experience and focus curring through the noise/dirty air for a Championship experience for everyone to enjoy!

Anyone can create a custom race, adjust some sliders and have a fantastic race, with grid start, which is competitive from start to finish.
But this isn't the case at all. Even in custom races the AI still sucks. I set up a mock NLS race where I had Gr3s and Gr4s on grid with me being in a Gr4, and the leading cars dropped 16 seconds in their lap times from the first lap to the third. The AI doesn't maintain a decent pace, adjusts their speed to make things "fair", drives with blinders on, and is in no way any sort of realistic competition.

I came in third place absolutely blasting past 7 of the Gr3s with no fight put up by them, and I was hot on the heels of the first two down Dottinger straight. With another lap I would have won the race.

I did another one recently with the Trueno AE86 (stock on SH tires) in a custom race starting from the back on the 'Ring, and I passed every one before Adenauer, completely stopped at Ausfahrt and waited for every car to pass, then passed them again in the next few corners. Watching the replay back the AI slowed down to like 30mph and were waiting for me. This is on professional difficulty. Pretty pathetic.

Sophy is the closest thing we have to real competition in game, but it can't be used in custom races, and is very limited in where it can be used.

Custom race AI is never competitive.

Sophy is the closest thing we have to real competition in game
And even that has been severely hamstrung...

The first batch of Sophy that arrived in GT7 for the public to try, with 3 challenges each of them giving Sophy a slightly better car (yet, even on highest difficulty they had a slight pp disadvantage against the players' car iirc), that was great - challenging and fun. I'd really want that back, compared to what we have now.
As with the next release, Sophy seemed to have been forced to also adhere to catch-the-rabbit and rubber banding.
Made no sense whatsoever and I am severely disappointed with what they have done since (with Sophy as well adjusting it's driving style depending on position, round of the race, and the human player). It just feels soooo staged and artificial.
Does not compute... As it was all there for a moment. It just needed to stay challenging (and ideally we'd also have it in custom races, as well as more controll over the grid setup in single player spot races...)
Oh well. Let's see what PD does next with this so far wasted potential (imo).

Last edited:
But this isn't the case at all. Even in custom races the AI still sucks. I set up a mock NLS race where I had Gr3s and Gr4s on grid with me being in a Gr4, and the leading cars dropped 16 seconds in their lap times from the first lap to the third. The AI doesn't maintain a decent pace, adjusts their speed to make things "fair", drives with blinders on, and is in no way any sort of realistic competition.

I came in third place absolutely blasting past 7 of the Gr3s with no fight put up by them, and I was hot on the heels of the first two down Dottinger straight. With another lap I would have won the race.

I did another one recently with the Trueno AE86 (stock on SH tires) in a custom race starting from the back on the 'Ring, and I passed every one before Adenauer, completely stopped at Ausfahrt and waited for every car to pass, then passed them again in the next few corners. Watching the replay back the AI slowed down to like 30mph and were waiting for me. This is on professional difficulty. Pretty pathetic.

Sophy is the closest thing we have to real competition in game, but it can't be used in custom races, and is very limited in where it can be used.

Boost Weak, drop your ECU percentage to 97/96% if you’re within 30-40 BHP of the AI cars, or are at a similar PP level (if doing a one-make, make sure your ECU/power limiter is at 100% when setting the grid from your garage, or else the AI will have the 97/96% ECU/power limiter).

Not ideal but it makes things better. I’m a low DR C driver, usually get silver on TTs, and it is a decent race. Unfortunately the player has to set it up to be more competitive, but it can be a decent race.

Also, the AI will only use the default tyres for the car no matter what you assign (except for Racing: Hard, and then they’ll use Racing: Soft after pitting from a wet tyre to a dry tyre).

The Nordschleife is also a bit of a bunk track for racing the AI since they’ll indicate and pull to the side to give you space. Why this hasn’t been fixed, I don’t know, but it’s probably intentional given the 97% throttle thing is deliberate.

The custom races are dog**** game design that you have to un-mangle by playing by house rules. The worst thing is that they have good AI but it’s not available for custom race. My only guess is that it needs custom tuning for each track and perhaps each car/parameter. The latter seems like it’d be inefficient though.

Or they just didn’t add it because they felt it wasn’t needed. It wouldn’t surprise me with PD anymore.

Last edited:
I've always had decent fun using Quick Race. The only thing is I couldn't say whether or not the racing is particularly competitive because without target lap times or TT style ghosts I'm pretty rubbish at knowing whether I'm going fast or not.

It sucks you can't change the settings nor the opponents, but I do appreciate how easy it is to sit down and start racing. I guess it lives up to the name!

On the subject of higher credit potential in Sport Mode, I find it a very touchy subject, as we already know how sweaty the competition can get even before there's mucho dinero on the line! I would love to get better rewards for racing online but a big part of me thinks the ethos is more racing-for-pride's-sake in this game.

My goal for next year's iteration of the GTWS and TGR GT Cup is to see if I can enter the GT1 class, for sure! If only because it seems I could earn a ton more credits for my standings, but also to see how I do within the best class.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I'll need to actually get into DR A first, haha! But I'm already pretty high up in DR B, and it does seem that finishing in the top half of the field raises your DR. Let alone the fact that I finish in the top five very often! At any rate, I'll do more races that affect my DR - instead of always limiting myself to Daily Race A - and then I'll see where I land.

Last edited:

PD applied the same speed adjusting nonsense to Sophy as well. The cars behind you drop off, the top 4 or so cruise until you catch up and then start trying more, the leader many times speeds off at first then slows down 3/4ths in to create another chase the rabbit scenario. If you spin out, the game babies you by cutting everyone's power until you catch up again. I hate it so much.

PD applied the same speed adjusting nonsense to Sophy as well. The cars behind you drop off, the top 4 or so cruise until you catch up and then start trying more, the leader many times speeds off at first then slows down 3/4ths in to create another chase the rabbit scenario. If you spin out, the game babies you by cutting everyone's power until you catch up again. I hate it so much.
Yep and that's why I have just stopped playing.

I guess there's no update this month then?
Why so pessimistic? I firmly believe that PD is hard at work this Saturday evening in Tokyo wrapping up the August Update. Maintenance notice could drop within the next hour and the update itself shortly thereafter. Just in time before midnight in New Zealand.

#hopiumoverdose

Looks like the GT7-Cycle slowing down with less Updates etc.
We heading (maybe) already towards GT8..?
Someone says this every time PD breaks their pattern. It might be slowing down, but nothing looks like it just yet.

Why so pessimistic? I firmly believe that PD is hard at work this Saturday evening in Tokyo wrapping up the August Update. Maintenance notice could drop within the next hour and the update itself shortly thereafter. Just in time before midnight in New Zealand.

#hopiumoverdose

Someone says this every time PD breaks their pattern. It might be slowing down, but nothing looks like it just yet.

It’s technically not slowing down. PD have never said that updates would be monthly. We’ll probably still get months with no updates, months with minor updates (3 cars max) and months with quite significant updates until at least when GT8 is announced (likely 2027)

Back