Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,118 comments
I can say with certainty that GT8 will be exclusive, but I think we all know that one.
If it comes out in the PS5's lifetime (and assuming Sony aren't so successful on PC that it's forced there by Sony higher ups), then sure.

If it's on PS6 though - I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if the PS6 just straight up has zero outright exclusives, whether sharing with PS5 or PC.

Increasingly, console manufacturers are going to the Apple-esque system of "we'll sell you the new shiny box but we won't sell it cheap to loss lead with it, so we'd rather you buy our software on last gen than not interact with us at all if you're on PC/can't afford to upgrade".

PS4 had an install base of 115 million+ at that time so it would have been foolish to skip over that when the PS5 was still relatively new and there were supply issues.
While that's certainly true for franchises like COD, FIFA, AC, and even new titles being announced today. Going by sales charts around the world it doesn't appear as if PS4 has been a major sales platform for GT7. Outside opening week/month in Japan I don't think I've seen GT7 chart on PS4 in any country. Maybe it's one of those franchises where most players buy the latest hardware.

Regardless, after the launch of Forza Motorsport I think most now accept PD did a great job scaling GT7 for PS5 & PS4. Developing for both (and PSVR2) may have helped them refine their engine so they can really push PS5/Pro when they get an opportunity to focus on those alone.

BTW, GT7 is #20 in the PS5/PS4 Gameplay chart this week, the most popular SIE game on the platform.

Last edited:
PS4 had an install base of 115 million+ at that time so it would have been foolish to skip over that when the PS5 was still relatively new and there were supply issues.
Wasn't there a stat released recently saying that 50% of PSN players are still playing PS4?

I think we should all remember some things regarding what to expect from a future GT game on a given platform. More specifically, I think we should ask ourselves what sort of features could be added or enhanced by superior hardware, as opposed to the discretionary and subjective nature of game design? What potential faults in GT7 can be addressed with patches - such as how they let us buy the roulette-exclusive parts as well as engine swaps - as opposed to the superior computing power of say, the PS5?

Here are my examples of what I think would indeed require superior hardware:

-In GT7's photomode, you can make the car look really dirty - with dirt, oil stains and brake dust - but in actual racing, this never really appears. No matter how much you drive a car, it never really looks that different, so I never felt much reason to wash a car beyond the trophy associated with it.

-Larger fields of cars, and thus potential multi-class racing. But I think larger fields should only be for certain courses, like Le Mans, Daytona, and the Nurburgring 24h layout. That said, there could definitely still be multi-class fields for other courses that feature them IRL, such as any course that's been part of a JGTC/Super GT season. But I doubt we'll see sizable increases to the field at smaller circuits like Tsukuba.

-More dynamic weather, perhaps including (admittedly aesthetic) elements such as lightning storms. I want my lightning storms! But this could also mean more venues to include rain, especially the ones that egregiously lack it at the moment. I'm referring to Brands Hatch, Daytona, Interlagos, and Watkins Glen. Sure, it makes sense to not have rain at Willow Springs, where you can clearly see that it's very dry. But really? No rain at Interlagos and Daytona? (I'd also like to see rain at Tokyo Expressway South...)

-Speaking of circuits, I would not doubt that processing power is exactly why we only have one city venue at the moment, in the form of Tokyo Expressway. I think as soon as there's a future GT that's not on the PS4, we'll see a lot more city circuits. Personally, I'd hope for a combination of real-world ones like the Monaco GP layout, as well as potentially re-worked city courses from previous GT games.

Any Pro-focused update would be completely irrelevant to the overwhelming majority of the userbase, so I really hope that’s not happening.

(Using the PS4 Pro as comparison, it had about a 25% share of the PS4 sales during its lifetime, in a more favourable economic environment)
But i think pd would also take advantage of major update bringing more content to the game in the same ps5 pro patch for all players, so its not like the others will miss out on much anyway.

How important is "newer"/"better" hardware? There is benefit, but it is likely getting rapidly to a point of diminishing return compared to game design/enhancements that would have a far greater increase in quality and enjoyment.

1. Multiple Display support ( Hardware )
  2. Stereoscopic alternating lenses display for depth perception from big screen panels without a huge bulky sinus pressure headache inducing VR device, just simple glasses ( doable with current hardware ) which also allows easy ->
  3. Head tracking for POV when sim rigging ( doable with current hardware )
  4. Specific Time of Day selection like T10 did with fm and time progression multipliers ( doable with current hardware )
  5. Unlimited automatic real time replay saves locally and to online servers, to properly afford review/shaming/banning/stewarding and available for all to easily access and watch near real time( doable with current hardware )
  6. Race Control for league and Spectating easily of any and all races in near real time, with control of rules, grids, penalties, DQs, etc ( doable with current hardware )
  7. A Pro mode monthly subscription racing option with necessary accountability and proper rule systems to ensure racing is possible with full detailed stats and all telemetry/replays accessible ( doable with current hardware )
  8. Full telemetry data transmission for enhanced external data display and analysis, It's very helpful now, but missing very important data and necessary for above for broadcast style streaming ( Like Tiny Turnip's fantastic events ) & ( doable with current hardware )
  9. Tuner Shops where players set up a "store front" and people can get tunes/packages there or replay/telemetry analysis of vehicle behavior on track overlaying the vehicle gearing/suspension/aero/etc with ability to forecast changes. Bring the community activities in game easily accessible from both sides, the creators & the consumers. ( doable with current hardware )
  10. Tire pressures / Flat Tires / dismounted ( doable with current hardware )
  11. Common median typical online Racing options increased to at least 7 and with full damage/accountabilty. 3 is childish. ( doable with current hardware )

Seems I could go on for a few dozen and then some, but the hardware is not likely to be any where near as important as other game design aspects with a proper vision of what is it Gran Turismo IS and wants to the legacy at 25 years to be recognized as. They have an opportunity right now to create a bell weather moment in automotive history, not just games, or racing, or entertainment, but truly a huge automotive sporting streaming entertainment community that dances and comingles the real world passion of vehicles and the global digital reality.

Most all of these would be doable in Gran Turismo 7 and no real benefit in a whole new product release and having to start the micro-transaction, missing tracks, missing cars, mess all over.
New hardware will bring higher framerates, and currently 4K@60p or 1440p@100VRR looks fantastic. Better hardware along with continuing to make more options ( framerate vs ray tracing, etc ) would be much better for players and the community, and more accessible and interesting to grow the players bases, and more so to get more players interacting. It's far too much played as a solo game for a "Live" online service game. New releases only further subdivide and splinter folks.

For me personally, I bought a PS4 shortly after launch on the assumption that it would, eventually, have a Gran Turismo game on it. I was pretty disappointed when that Gran Turismo game turned out to be GT Sport.

When Gran Turismo 7 ended up being released for PS4, I couldn't have been happier. I don't have any current plans to purchase a PS5.

I was never really a fan of Scapes, or GT Photography for that matter. But I decided to give it a shot today.

I didn't exactly take beautiful photos but Holy God, the soundtrack is just so incredible that it gets you inspired to get that perfect frame.

You can complain about GT all you want, there's many negatives but not a single one of them is soundtrack related. There will never be a racing franchise like Gran Turismo, the sheer vibe a soundtrack can bring to this series is just unmatched.

IMG_5441.jpeg

Sorry folks, GT8 has been pre-emptively delayed to 2027 to facilitate a
30th Anniversary Edition at launch. Nobody wants to see "29th" on the cover, it's just not as impressive.

I'd say GT8 will be a late PS5 exclusive, all tracks, nearly all cars and liveries will be copied over, the difference is that PD will be happily uncoupled from PS4 for streamlined development.

I'm expecting an incremental sequel like GT6:
Same cars plus 100 more, a handful more locations (but hopefully vastly more time and weather options), and a reworked campaign/economy (hopefully like a modern GT2/3, not Asphalt Legends Unite).

In the meantime, let's hope for continued occasional rain to avoid a content drought for the next two years, GT's between-game El Niños can be rough.

For me personally, I bought a PS4 shortly after launch on the assumption that it would, eventually, have a Gran Turismo game on it. I was pretty disappointed when that Gran Turismo game turned out to be GT Sport.

When Gran Turismo 7 ended up being released for PS4, I couldn't have been happier. I don't have any current plans to purchase a PS5.
Same here, but when the release date for GT7 was announced, I bought a PS5 almost immediately.

We're at a point graphically where I don't think they will ever have to do a reset on the cars & tracks again, unlike previous console generation leaps.
The only thing in my mind that might lead to Polyphony removing cars/tracks in a new title would be licencing, like we saw with the Fittipaldi EF7 & Mercedes W08 not making it over to GT7 from Sport.

The delayed track list could be an insight into the release of any new tracks being reserved for GT8, while they still trickle out content for GT7. The game is a point that it can maintain with a few updates here and there, and then finally put out a product exclusive to PS5/PS5 Pro

Everyone saying "GT7 should have been PS5 exclusive" need to take a breath and rejoin us in reality.

Even today FOUR years after the system's release, there are only 22 PS5 exclusive games. Twenty-Two.

In what world would it have made sense, from either a business perspective or a developer-focused "We want people to play out game" angle, for them to release it as a PS5 exclusive two and a half years ago? They would have limited their market to 33.5m people, as opposed to that plus the 117.2m PS4 owners at the time.

Seriously, how many times do we need to have this discussion?

Speaking of tracks/circuits it’s funny how Eiger made it in quicker than other past original legacy circuits.

Circuits like Mid-field and Apricot Hill, heck, especially Autumn Ring seem less complicated than Eiger. Autumn Ring is in its own little bowl like Miyabi. I guess if PD are figuring Autumn Ring is going to be more interactive with more leaves being kicked up on track, can’t see why that track would take long to recreate.

Speaking of tracks/circuits it’s funny how Eiger made it in quicker than other past original legacy circuits.

Circuits like Mid-field and Apricot Hill, heck, especially Autumn Ring seem less complicated than Eiger. Autumn Ring is in its own little bowl like Miyabi. I guess if PD are figuring Autumn Ring is going to be more interactive with more leaves being kicked up on track, can’t see why that track would take long to recreate.
I think PD is fond of the tech that went into developing Eiger’s scenery, and they want to showcase that on the new generation of hardware.

Also, why do you think “less complicated” work would take priority? PD is devoted to complicated stuff, which is also why they have tackled ventures outside of the video game industry.

I think PD is fond of the tech that went into developing Eiger’s scenery, and they want to showcase that on the new generation of hardware.

Also, why do you think “less complicated” work would take priority? PD is devoted to complicated stuff, which is also why they have tackled ventures outside of the video game industry.
I can understand your first sentence. As for your second sentence, well if it’s taking PD longer to add other original tracks then maybe they’re more complicated than Eiger. PD mentioned the difficulty trying to scale certain features of Trial Mountain and Deep Forest. High Speed Ring seems much less complicated(it did get a reworking of one of the corners) than most PD original circuits.

Still same old story of not knowing why PD add some content the way they do.

I feel like PD's current approach with original tracks is to give them a real world location (and recreate said area to place the track in) so while the Autumn Ring we know is in its own little bowl, if they wanted to introduce the track again they'd want to give it a real location. And with that in mind it's probably easier to reintroduce Eiger which was already designed with this philosophy.

I feel like PD's current approach with original tracks is to give them a real world location (and recreate said area to place the track in) so while the Autumn Ring we know is in its own little bowl, if they wanted to introduce the track again they'd want to give it a real location. And with that in mind it's probably easier to reintroduce Eiger which was already designed with this philosophy.
So with this in mind, we should see Circuito De La Sierra again... right?

Even today FOUR years after the system's release, there are only 22 PS5 exclusive games. Twenty-Two.
That list is not "PS5 exclusive" and also containing "not yet released" games while missing other games that have been release at the point of its last update (and I wouldnt count remakes no matter the additional detail like TLOU2, unless they are reworks with changed gameplay and content like FF7).

There is already more PSVR2 games than just 22, and this means they are all PS5-Only (as PS4 cant run them), though some of them also have a PSVR1 version to run them.

Does it take longer to add other original tracks, though? The fact that they haven’t released a track like Autumn Ring might very well be because they’re not working on it.
That goes with my last sentence of '...not knowing why...'.

We're at a point graphically where I don't think they will ever have to do a reset on the cars & tracks again, unlike previous console generation leaps.
I agree with you, but they could use more power to improve on any visual from a distance, where currently there is a lot of pop-in, harsh shadows and low poly 3D elements that are still obvious.

Back