Gran Turismo 7 PS5 Pro Update: 8K Graphics, Real-Time Ray-Tracing On Track

• Thread starter Famine
  • 185 comments
I feel like the only person who has their PS5 flat and hasn’t bought a disc (of any kind in fact) for over 10 years…

But I still wouldn’t pay £700 for the Pro
Im one of those who lays his PS5 flat here too mate! I like the idea of 120fps but that would mean a new tv as well as the pro.
I dont think the difference between the regular and pro version is enough to temp me to shell out £700.00.

Last edited:
I heard a few grumbles about the price, so here's some launch prices (USD) and their inflation adjusted price.

Console / Launch Price / Inflation adjusted Price

Atari 2600 / $199.00 / $1033.74
Sega Saturn / $399 / $824.17
PS 1 / $299 / $617.61
PS 2 / $299 / $564.60
PS 3 / $599 / $935.33
PS 4 / $399 / $539.17

PS 5 Pro $699

Given the inflation adjusted price of the others on the list, the PS5 Pro price doesn't seem crazy to me.
Inflation is a tiny part of the picture when it comes to the consoles value.
Not only did everything listed here have more of an actual reason to get them, money itself has extremely poor buying power right now and wages and living costs are not proportional to standard inflation at all.
The £700 needed for a pro hurts a lot more when food costs have doubled and my wages haven't.

I heard a few grumbles about the price, so here's some launch prices (USD) and their inflation adjusted price.

Console / Launch Price / Inflation adjusted Price

Atari 2600 / $199.00 / $1033.74
Sega Saturn / $399 / $824.17
PS 1 / $299 / $617.61
PS 2 / $299 / $564.60
PS 3 / $599 / $935.33
PS 4 / $399 / $539.17

PS 5 Pro $699

Given the inflation adjusted price of the others on the list, the PS5 Pro price doesn't seem crazy to me.

You are aware the PS3 and Saturn launches were a colossal failure right? ... Right?

Also, all consoles you mentioned ADDED features. The PS5 Pro REMOVES physical media, REMOVES the support stand and INCREASES the price.

You don't find that crazy? Awesome, I have a plot on the planet Pluto available, amazing growth potential, drop me a DM about it...

I feel like the only person who has their PS5 flat and hasn’t bought a disc (of any kind in fact) for over 10 years…
Mine is laying flat too, I have the disc drive but only because it was really difficult to get any PS5 when I bought it. Don't have discs, don't want them.

I'd like a more discreet design than those strange vases Sony is pushing now. Previous PSs where much better on that aspect IMHO

PSs.png

PS4 was perfect, PS2 nice but a bit chunky (before slim).

My console is not an object of art that I want to expose proudly in my living room, or Sony need to put out a much nicer design, otherwise I prefer they use a more discreet approach.

I love what DIY Perks did on his PS5s :

(although for this one, I would have gone a more discreet approach, it is a bit on the too steampunk look for me)

Edit another mod on another chanel :

Last edited:
My console is not an object of art that I want to expose proudly in my living room, or Sony need to put out a much nicer design, otherwise I prefer they use a more discreet approach.
Agreed. I love how my PS4 Pro can sit in my TV stand without directing any attention to itself. The PS5 wouldn’t even fit in there without making the space too confined for proper cooling, and placing it vertically anywhere else would really compromise the vibe of my living room. It’s a hideous object and I’m surprised they didn’t come up with a less divisive redesign for the PS5 Pro.

The PS5 wouldn’t even fit in there without making the space too confined for proper cooling
I made a special shelve inside the bookcase under the TV, surely not ideal for ventilation but it is like that since a long ago and I've had no issues.

Maybe I'll add a black mesh over the front, like the kind you find on speakers, to conceal it better.

IMG-20240704-WA0001.jpg

I made a special shelve inside the bookcase under the TV, surely not ideal for ventilation but it is like that since a long ago and I've had no issues.

Maybe I'll add a black mesh over the front, like the kind you find on speakers, to conceal it better.

View attachment 1389017
I think you should find a different spot for it. Ventilation looks almost non-existent. I once lost a PS3 Slim while playing Uncharted 2 on a warm summer day. It was placed in a relatively tight space, but not as tight as yours.

Yea PS5 needs space to breathe and not to mention proper exhaust - i added my own PC fans to help it exhaust , i dont know why they didnt added exhaust fan because the hot air is just stuck in the rear for most of the time , this is a problem when it is in horizontal position , it shouldnt be problem when you got shelf thats fully open

not sure if Slim or the Pro will have the same problem but most likely much less than the original design

Last edited:
Lmao. Leaves out the one relevant comparison. PS4 Pro: $399 @ launch. Sony have lost their minds with the ps5 pro. It will fall well short of its predecessor in terms of sales. By the time Sony launched the ps4 pro they also lowered the price of the ps4 slim to $299. I don’t foresee current Sony cutting the base PS5 price in the same way.
That works out to $520.41

You can do the conversion here (actually, this is a better calculator than what I used in my original post) --> Inflation Calculator from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics

But I still wouldn’t pay £700 for the Pro
The original PS5 was $499 at launch in November of 2020

That's $603.63 now

The increased price of the PS5 Pro seems like a small price to pay for a better version on of the console. I haven't upgraded to PS5 yet so this seems like the perfect opportunity.

Last edited:

You can do the conversion here (actually, this is a better calculator than what I used in my original post) --> Inflation Calculator from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics

That's $603.63 now

The increased price of the PS5 Pro seems like a small price to pay for a better version on of the console. I haven't upgraded to PS5 yet so this seems like the perfect opportunity.
Digital version?

Because in the U.K. it would be £440 now, so £260 more

Last edited:

That's $603.63 now

Any critical person can see Sony are price gouging almost in the extreme here because direct competition has fallen off a cliff in the past several years (Thanks Microsoft). Sony was able to provide great value with the PS4 and PS4 pro when there was decent competition. Now that there is almost none, they are taking advantage of there customers (you). Price gouging on this PS5 pro, no disc drive at that price (lol), and gouging on there defective DS5 controller (throw-away e-waste) as well now (pretty much guaranteed stick drift within 1 year), that they could fix easily if they wanted to especially at the price it’s asking. But they would rather you forget about the warranty or be just out of warranty and throw it in the garbage and buy a new one every year.

That's $603.63 now

No answer to the point that PS5 Pro REMOVES physical media, REMOVES the support stand and INCREASES the price? Says it all about your credibility

REMOVES the support stand
It's actually worth noting that this isn't the case. No current-iteration PS5 has the vertical stand included, so it's not "removed" for the Pro.

While the original had a two-way stand for both horizontal and vertical mounting, the redesigned console can freely sit horizontally and no longer needs it. The vertical stand is sold separately, whether base PS5 or Pro:

1726331462522.png

Compared to the launch console, sure. And then we should note that both the launch console and the "Slim" had discless versions available (so no, the Pro doesn't REMOVE the physical drive either; it just doesn't include one), but the redesign included a swappable drive so that you were no longer tethered to that original decision - and which is also compatible with the Pro.

Last edited:
This isn't a GT7 issue. Sony imposes a 2GB cap on file save sizes. Why, I can't say, but it's not on PD's shoulders no matter how many GT7 threads you put it in.
I would think perhaps that lack of ram is an issue as well, or more even.
I mean the game has to be not slowed down by this too much, so if there's very little vram available, like on ps5, it won't do ingame replay saves, or in a limited way.

Also, real-time replays if i can call them that, only need save the data of what happened, not the replay file recording itself, it seems it should take much less space.

Anyhow, im sure 16g of ddr4 would help a lot for many issues on console, especially for ports of pc games, and ssds are really still many times slower than ddr4, so to do saves while playing etc isn't really great if you need use the ssd instead of vram as temporary keeping until you save it.
Of course having a save limit still is another obstacle.
Anyhow just my 2 cents.

Also, real-time replays if i can call them that, only need save the data of what happened, not the replay file recording itself, it seems it should take much less space.
They do precisely that - and have done since... ever. It's one of the confusions people run into a lot, when they think the replay is a video that they should be able to export but actually it's a telemetry file that GT uses to reconstruct the events and needs GT to convert into the replay you see.

It's actually worth noting that this isn't the case. No current-iteration PS5 has the vertical stand included, so it's not "removed" for the Pro.

While the original had a two-way stand for both horizontal and vertical mounting, the redesigned console can freely sit horizontally and no longer needs it. The vertical stand is sold separately, whether base PS5 or Pro:

View attachment 1389085

Compared to the launch console, sure. And then we should note that both the launch console and the "Slim" had discless versions available (so no, the Pro doesn't REMOVE the physical drive either; it just doesn't include one), but the redesign included a swappable drive so that you were no longer tethered to that original decision - and which is also compatible with the Pro.

I'm a day one adopter so never even seen the slim. Not sure why that was needed, but thank you for the extra context

Hmm..
It just doesn’t seem to do enough for the price. Especially when it comes to vr. Going to have to wait and see how opinions shape up relative to its performance in vr for gt7. I get how pssr is supposed to be cool and all, but those are just kinda words at the moment. Especially since pd will have to patch it in, and we’re still waiting on the force implementation for fanatec..many, many, months later.

We shall see..

Kind of a bummer. If the price/performance ratio was better, it would have been a preorder, as i want a second console to try to get my wife into the vr mini golf game..or bowling 😂

If I'm going to spend 700USD+ on an electronic device I'd just buy a gaming computer. Talk about price gouging.
And you save so much time in frustration by not wasting endless time managing space since you are severely limited in photo/livery/replay saves when it should be unlimited local replay saves in the year of our goddess two thousand and twenty four. A PC ensures you don't get shackled to terrible arbitrary whimsy of nonsense.

The Load times alone was worth going from ps4 pro to ps5 alone, its just way to slow on the ps4, and then we have vr witch is another nice element for ps5.

Not sure if the pro will be worth it or not really depends on what they do with it,
For €800 there is still no pc i could get that could do 4k gaming,

I have order a pc because i want to experince games in higher fidelity with better fps. But thats a €2750 so not cheap i am sure it will outperform a ps5 pro, but thats expected given its price, below €1000 it would not be.

If gt was going to pc i would not bother with playstation anymore,
But sadly that day will proably never come.

Last edited:
No answer to the point that PS5 Pro REMOVES physical media, REMOVES the support stand and INCREASES the price? Says it all about your credibility
Was that meant for me? I didn't say anything about physical media ... I was just saying the price is inline with previous consoles. 🤔

But since you're asking, I don't care about physical media. It's just more crap to store. Why do I need to use shelf space when it can be on a server somewhere? I've redownloaded games. I recently reinstalled my MGSV from 2016. Seem like a much better idea that having it in the back of closet somewhere, where it can be lost or damaged, leaving me S.O.L. Also, I lived the majority of my life with physical media (vinyl albums, cassette tapes, CD's etc). Physical is a pain.

Also, my PS1, PS2, PS3 all had physical drive failures at some point, so again, no physical media isn't a loss for me.

And for anyone else upset about the price, I'm not saying anyone should rush out and buy one. If you need a PS5 because you've yet to upgrade, then buy the regular or the slim. I'm just saying that, for me, this seem like the one worth the upgrade from PS4

Last edited:
Any critical person can see Sony are price gouging almost in the extreme here because direct competition has fallen off a cliff in the past several years (Thanks Microsoft). Sony was able to provide great value with the PS4 and PS4 pro when there was decent competition. Now that there is almost none, they are taking advantage of there customers (you). Price gouging on this PS5 pro, no disc drive at that price (lol), and gouging on there defective DS5 controller (throw-away e-waste) as well now (pretty much guaranteed stick drift within 1 year), that they could fix easily if they wanted to especially at the price it’s asking. But they would rather you forget about the warranty or be just out of warranty and throw it in the garbage and buy a new one every year.
Stick drift?? I've had my PS5 almost three years and had it once... on a controller that I just bought from GameStop. Cause of the drift was incorrect assembly. Someone had taken it apart and taken the sticks off. They only go back on one way but there's nothing to stop them being rotated and shoved back in there. The controller also has a sheen of half eaten salsa jammed down in there, which I cleaned up. It works fantastic now.

I have yet to have a Sony controller that has stick drift.
Not since playing on PSX has this happened to me.

But their Pulse Headsets are flimsy and literarlly breaking apart much too early in their lifecycle.
Other major critique would be not enabling the DualSense Edge software to all DualSense controllers (minus the option of using different profiles by quickbuttons).

Stick drift?? I've had my PS5 almost three years and had it once... on a controller that I just bought from GameStop. Cause of the drift was incorrect assembly. Someone had taken it apart and taken the sticks off. They only go back on one way but there's nothing to stop them being rotated and shoved back in there. The controller also has a sheen of half eaten salsa jammed down in there, which I cleaned up. It works fantastic now.
I’ve had two controllers with stick drift after about 6 months but they were all originals (one was from release day) but not had any on the spec 2 controllers (Of which I have 3)

Last edited:
Back