Gran Turismo 7 PS5 Pro Update: 8K Graphics, Real-Time Ray-Tracing On Track

• Thread starter Famine
  • 206 comments
snc
Rt mode with noticable lower res doesnt seem interesting at all, defenitly prefer crisp image quality without rt reflections
I'll have to wait and see it for myself. It's DF's job to nitpick minute graphical details, I don't knock them for it.

At the end of the discussion, they said it's a great implementation. I think it's something that most people wouldn't notice, as their eyes aren't trained to look for it.

I've got one that drifts but that doesn't bother me in any game I play except World of Warships Legends. I have two white pads that came with the console and both of them have broken left triggers.

Timestamped the GT7 portion.
That already makes me very worried about the future quality of graphics quality, which I already was whenever upscaling was mentioned.
Yes, part of the pictures do look better, but others dont, especially "that is lower res" is ticking my dislike boxes pretty hard.
In the end I hope the Pro still offers both of the original PS5 performance modes, so I can simply pick "PS5 quality" and enjoy a higher frame rate than the current console can provide 😵

That already makes me very worried about the future quality of graphics quality, which I already was whenever upscaling was mentioned.
Yes, part of the pictures do look better, but others dont, especially "that is lower res" is ticking my dislike boxes pretty hard.
In the end I hope the Pro still offers both of the original PS5 performance modes, so I can simply pick "PS5 quality" and enjoy a higher frame rate than the current console can provide 😵
A snapshot of an early build months out from release doesn't tell us a great deal. For starters we already know PD will have at least two PS5 Pro modes, 4K/60/RT and 8K/60 (I would hope!). I'd expect an improved 120FPS mode as well. Secondly, we know PSSR has already undergone numerous updates to improve image quality. Lastly, things like internal resolutions will be optimised until the last moment. That's the beauty of an AI upscaler, PD can tailor graphical quality, resolution and framerates to deliver modes ti suit everyones needs.

That's the beauty of an AI upscaler,
That is wishful thinking, not beauty.
It is a trend to hop on, because AI.
And dont even believe in 8k myth, neither because you will see a difference between 4k to 8k, nor because the console will have anywhere close to enough power to deliver 8k gaming.

The use cases of 8k resolution is pretty much the same as NVIDIA Frame generation: marketing.

Is there any chance of widescreen monitor support?

21:9 or 32:9 resolution option could be pretty neat and easily do-able if the machine if capable of 8k reso....

has anyone else asked? has anyone ever seen any comment from Sony that it might be possible?

I suppose they probably want to sell more 16:9 TVs for GT7 ?

And dont even believe in 8k myth, neither because you will see a difference between 4k to 8k, nor because the console will have anywhere close to enough power to deliver 8k gaming.

The use cases of 8k resolution is pretty much the same as NVIDIA Frame generation: marketing.
I think you're missing the point of the 8K mode. It's a glorified tech demo, no different than the 60 FPS for GT on PS1. They enjoy pushing the boundaries of current day tech in anticipation of future generations.

If anyone has played port of Persona 3 Portable, the AI upscaling is... appalling, no other word for it

21:9 or 32:9 resolution option could be pretty neat and easily do-able if the machine if capable of 8k reso....

has anyone else asked? has anyone ever seen any comment from Sony that it might be possible?

I would appreciate this a lot, but I highly doubt its coming.

That's more of a Sony issue and I doubt it's coming.

What about the 16k per eye targeted for good VR quality visuals as the ideal. That is what I understood was the goal for clear detail for future devices.

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 7’s PlayStation 5 Pro Visuals Analyzed by Digital Foundry

If you watched the PlayStation 5 Pro reveal last week you’ll have heard a lot of impressive-sounding things about the new console’s capabilities, with Gran Turismo 7 — briefly — used to highlight them...
So the RT is going to be implemented for car reflections only?!
I couldn't find any info if RT Global Illumination is also going to be implemented.
That in my opinion would be a significant upgrade.
Anyway I guess we'll all find out soon.

So the RT is going to be implemented for car reflections only?!
I couldn't find any info if RT Global Illumination is also going to be implemented.
That in my opinion would be a significant upgrade.
Anyway I guess we'll all find out soon.
i don't think it's car reflection only, they just noted that point as it was the easiest one to notice, but they also talk about how the light reflect in the interior of cars (better for cockpit view) so it should be the global RT tech that was in replay mode.

i don't think it's car reflection only, they just noted that point as it was the easiest one to notice, but they also talk about how the light reflect in the interior of cars (better for cockpit view) so it should be the global RT tech that was in replay mode.
For someone like me who only ever plays every Racing Game in Cockpit View, that would at least be a big improvement.

Well, we see how this one goes - I’ll doubt I’ll be buying on day 1 but once more of this sort of stuff gets out there I’m sure I’ll be buying now paying later at some point! If the scalpers don’t beat me to it!

What about the 16k per eye targeted for good VR quality visuals as the ideal. That is what I understood was the goal for clear detail for future devices.
So close to the eyes you need a higher resolution. That + foveated rendering to have enough power.

It is just UHD, not 4K. Man, why is that so complicated?
Raytracing takes a big hit on CPU, wich on PS5 “pro” is the same as on PS5 standard,
Yes the GPU is better, but most games will end at 30fps with a bit better graphics or resolution using PSSR wich is like near a FSR3.1

Even a lot of PC games don’t goes at 4K native, so why should a console with an outdated CPU

Just like with PS4 “pro” , it will be a little upgrade on selected games, others with a bit better graphics/resolution at 30 , but this time for practically the double price than a standard PS5 (at least PS4 “pro” was launched at the price of PS4 “fat” those days

I will wait for PS6 and meanwhile play GT7 with VRR at 120fps mode, I don’t care about raytracing

Raytracing takes a big hit on CPU, wich on PS5 “pro” is the same as on PS5 standard,
Yes the GPU is better, but most games will end at 30fps with a bit better graphics or resolution using PSSR wich is like near a FSR3.1

Even a lot of PC games don’t goes at 4K native, so why should a console with an outdated CPU

Just like with PS4 “pro” , it will be a little upgrade on selected games, others with a bit better graphics/resolution at 30 , but this time for practically the double price than a standard PS5 (at least PS4 “pro” was launched at the price of PS4 “fat” those days

I will wait for PS6 and meanwhile play GT7 with VRR at 120fps mode, I don’t care about raytracing
PS4 pro at least had an improved CPU that in many case made games go from 30 fps lock to target 60 fps (even though it ranges more in the 50fps but still an improvement)

I wonder how the rain effects will change on the PS5 Pro 🤔 can we see even more realistic, looking racing lines, appearing, and water on the windshield accumulating more when you’re following another vehicle with the extra GPU power

PS5 Pro has dedicated RT hardware that’s 2-3x more potent than base PS5. Even at this early stage, the expectation is most games will run in Quality mode (or better), while hitting 60FPS, often more stable than base PS5, running in Performance mode.

Each dev will do what’s best for them, some good implementations, others the absolute minimum required. But PSSR is a tech that will be updated, which in turn will improve every title using the upscaler.

PS4 Pro offered a modest resolution bump, and more stable performance. There were very few titles that saw framerates double from 30-60fps. PS5 Pro will offer more substantial image quality improvements and double the framerate (compared to Quality mode). That’s before we factor improvements for graphical effects, RT etc. Those will be more prominent for titles designed with PS5 Pro in mind.

Last edited:
Back