Gran Turismo 7 PS5 Pro Update: 8K Graphics, Real-Time Ray-Tracing On Track

• Thread starter Famine
  • 453 comments
Bros...I grabbed one...I'm so weak and pathetic!

200 (20).gif

Last edited:
You also need HDMI 2.1 or Display Port 1.4
Yah and just getting a 7900XTX to 240hz and 240fps is far more challenging to get a good cable that handles the bandwidth. Cheap cables you think are a deal will leave you with so many frustrations. Everything gets more expensive. You can't just think any old cable will do. Weakest link in the chain issues never change

The PS5 Pro is not sold out. Only the 12,300 30th anniversary bundle is. And the tiniest of minority scalpers did so and are selling them for 10x, for market manipulation and profiteering, not because of market demand.

Aliexpress will have the 30th anniversary skins and controller plate replacements by the Nov 26th release date or the latest before the new year anyways. fools rush in.
View attachment 1392287
And as of this morning, still not "Sold Out" Just 40 days of waiting:
1727442074074.png

1727442115828.png

And Target, Walmart, BestBuy, mzon will have them to pre order on Oct 10th. Seems like so many PS5 Pros to go around. Get em while their hot! and you take out a second mortgage for that 8K 32" nearly 5 figure $$$$$ display.

And as of this morning, still not "Sold Out" Just 40 days of waiting:
View attachment 1392473
View attachment 1392474

And Target, Walmart, BestBuy, mzon will have them to pre order on Oct 10th. Seems like so many PS5 Pros to go around. Get em while their hot! and you take out a second mortgage for that 8K 32" nearly 5 figure $$$$$ display.
There’s an 55 inch Samsung 8k TV I can buy off the shelf in the UK for $1,800.

PS4 Pro accounted for 20% of PlayStation sales after it launched. That's a not inconsiderable marketshare and shows there was plenty of demand. I'm struggling to recall any major AAA title that didn't have PS4 Pro support after the system launched despite it being a new concept. As for PS5 Pro, every title from this point forward is required to have support.
Yeah, and PS4 Pro was supposed to be supported by all titles. And stats can be manipulated to prove anything, you used your stats here, I used mine in my original post - just like 83 out of 127 women prefer shampoo brand X :-)

At the end of the day, and for this forum in particular, is any of it going to improve your driving? I think not . . .

Yeah, and PS4 Pro was supposed to be supported by all titles. And stats can be manipulated to prove anything, you used your stats here, I used mine in my original post - just like 83 out of 127 women prefer shampoo brand X :-)

At the end of the day, and for this forum in particular, is any of it going to improve your driving? I think not . . .
120fps has been the second most improvement to driving, especially in consistency. and no other sim racer can match the framerate and fidelity.

I thought you needed an 8k tv to display the 8k mode?
PD describe it as an Image Priority mode, it's 8K/60 on an 8K TV, 4K/60 on a 4K TV. PD only saw this mode demoed on an 8K TV.

It uses PSSR which is different to the existing 4K/60 mode, so we could potentially see even better image quality, and improved performance.

Oh, I intend to. FPS games are always better on PC because mouse absolutely kills controller for input (Resident Evil 2 & 4 Remake are also exponentially improved on PC)

My point is that console gamers should be able to enjoy similar control over their experience. FFXVI on PS5 often dips to 720p and low frame rate even in performance mode. Being able to toggle things other than HDR and motion blur would massively improve performance. Instead of some 800+ upgrade console, normalise devs having more customisation options
Many of us have used PC and prefer the console experience. The idea of playing any title with mouse & keyboard, hunkered over a desk, is a turnoff. As is tweaking ingame settings, dealing with drivers, Windows UI and so on. But each to their own.

Consoles are an intuitive user experience. At most there are a handful of Quality & Performance modes optimised by devs. I see value in a £350 upgrade (after trade-in) to PS5 Pro. It's a 4 year investment that will pay for itself many times over.

Out of interest I took at look at DF's GOW Ragnarok PC video. With a set-up some 2-3x more expensive than PS5 Pro, there will be advantages, but it also highlights why many ports come up short even against base PS5. I don't have the inclination to spend so much time optimising for incremental improvements.

Last edited:
PD describe it as an Image Priority mode, it's 8K/60 on an 8K TV, 4K/60 on a 4K TV. PD only saw this mode demoed on an 8K TV.

It uses PSSR which is different to the existing 4K/60 mode, so we could potentially see even better image quality, and improved performance.

Many of us have used PC and prefer the console experience. The idea of playing any title with mouse & keyboard, hunkered over a desk, is a turnoff. As is tweaking ingame settings, dealing with drivers, Windows UI and so on. But each to their own.

Consoles are an intuitive user experience. At most there are a handful of Quality & Performance modes optimised by devs. I see value in a £350 upgrade (after trade-in) to PS5 Pro. It's a 4 year investment that will pay for itself many times over.

Out of interest I took at look at DF's GOW Ragnarok PC video. With a set-up some 2-3x more expensive than PS5 Pro, there will be advantages, but it also highlights why many ports come up short even against base PS5. I don't have the time to spend so much time optimising for such incremental improvements.

And even more so super critical, that I just found out about today, is on windows some games will detect "undesirable" somethings and a couple months go by and you can end up banned from all your Microsoft Xbox games... Imagine modding Assetto Corsa and some program or file or something that came in something gets picked up by some other game as a "cheat" that has absolutely nothing to do with anything but AC, and now all your rented games and paid subscriptions are null and void. Gonna have the ultimate tinker's wet dream and have a PC for each game, or at least individual SSDs, so we're back to cartridges.

PC and especially windows has become a trap that far too many do not have the experience to realize the danger they are in. I will play on linux ( and wine emulation if it's just that **** important (gotta watch out for the FIA community service marshalls and the inconsistent interpretations) and know exactly what is going on and not be spied on and forfeit my freedom or control. The past decade has been the worst slippery slope for owning and properly enjoying so much far too many don't even know.

Putting anything on PC is a recipe for development, maintenance, liability, and unwarranted forfeiture nightmares nowadays. Just look at the Steam Arbitration agreement high priority mess unfolding today. Sony and Nintendo are far better positioned, and when some cross platform hack results in something being flagged as a federal crime file, erroneously or not the 6 figure defense cost will have been earned for the willful ignorance.

At least in the EU the GDPR protections work, USA it might be too far gone.

GT7 on PC would be an absolute nightmare and RUIN GT7. Want cheating? that's what PC is for. It stands for PreferCheating.

Last edited:
Honestly....I don't see a difference.
For the record, I think PS5 Pro is an insane rip off and I will never buy one unless it's HEAVILY discounted and has big benefits for PSVR 2, HOWEVER...

You must literally not be even looking. It's pretty obvious what the differences are especially when they tell you from the start what the difference is and then use the perfect cars and track to show it off.

You can literally spot the difference if you set the video quality to 144p

Is it worthy to shell out $800 ?
Even if you sell your old console and trade up?

No
Wouldn't you have to also buy the 8K TV at $3500 to enjoy the significant improvement, and you actually would need a side by side to be blown away, otherwise it's just Potato, PotAto, and Tomato, ToMATo...
Absolutely not. 8K is an option and not even a compelling one. It's not the purpose of PS5 Pro by any means. Plus, it is clearly not just potato/PotAto. They should many examples of it not being a slight difference but the best I saw was F1 24. Like Oliver said, it's nearly a generational leap in some places/tracks and honestly it is. I don't think people realize what a difference ray traced lighting can make because most of the time we've only seen reflections which other than the Spiderman games, is the least interesting or beneficial way to use ray tracing.
For those who can afford, heck I can also afford it, too, great

but I will not, because

ROi on this is even less so than marginal,
I call BS and I gladly would be happy with what I currently have....
I don't care about the Jones
I am fine with what I have...

Personally I think this is stupid....
Give me more content, rather than more pixels...

Agreed on all counts.

I refuse to buy it out of principle just like I did with PSVR2

At this point even though I don't like PC gaming/don't play much on it, I need to replace my 3070 a lot more than I need a PS5 Pro for any price.

Last edited:
Yes, I too remember playing games on PC ten years ago.

And even more so super critical, that I just found out about today, is on windows some games will detect "undesirable" somethings and a couple months go by and you can end up banned from all your Microsoft Xbox games... Imagine modding Assetto Corsa and some program or file or something that came in something gets picked up by some other game as a "cheat" that has absolutely nothing to do with anything but AC, and now all your rented games and paid subscriptions are null and void. Gonna have the ultimate tinker's wet dream and have a PC for each game, or at least individual SSDs, so we're back to cartridges.

PC and especially windows has become a trap that far too many do not have the experience to realize the danger they are in. I will play on linux ( and wine emulation if it's just that **** important (gotta watch out for the FIA community service marshalls and the inconsistent interpretations) and know exactly what is going on and not be spied on and forfeit my freedom or control. The past decade has been the worst slippery slope for owning and properly enjoying so much far too many don't even know.

Putting anything on PC is a recipe for development, maintenance, liability, and unwarranted forfeiture nightmares nowadays. Just look at the Steam Arbitration agreement high priority mess unfolding today. Sony and Nintendo are far better positioned, and when some cross platform hack results in something being flagged as a federal crime file, erroneously or not the 6 figure defense cost will have been earned for the willful ignorance.

At least in the EU the GDPR protections work, USA it might be too far gone.
You should un-find out... whatever this is, because it's nonsense.

You also need HDMI 2.1 or Display Port 1.4
HDMI 2.1 will only do 8k at 30hz and 10bit per channel (hdr) without compression or chroma subsampling.
For 60hz you will need compression (lossless, implemented as DSC, an optional part of the hdmi specification -> it's optional so most tvs don't support it) or chroma subsampling ("lossy compression", compressing colors a lot more because the human eyes notices light/dark differences a lot more than color differences + it's good enough for hdr in movies :D)

HDMI 2.1 will only do 8k at 30hz and 10bit per channel (hdr) without compression or chroma subsampling.
For 60hz you will need compression (lossless, implemented as DSC, an optional part of the hdmi specification -> it's optional so most tvs don't support it) or chroma subsampling ("lossy compression", compressing colors a lot more because the human eyes notices light/dark differences a lot more than color differences + it's good enough for hdr in movies :D)
My understanding is that 2.1 can support up to 10k at 120fps with HDR

This is how you end up dealing with endless issues on the bleeding edge. Just getting 240hz on 32:9 5260x1440 was far more issues than you would imagine, cables and high bandwidth situations are far more complicated and limiting right now. an 8K60p TV might only do this from streamed services with HIGHLY compressed streams, few will have HDMI or DP inputs for it. so many details to be aware of. The marketing material makes those who have no experience with it act like they are experts and it's super simple and easy. It is not.

This $4500 8K 85" TV specs show it only supports 4K input..

Last edited:
Almost! One quarter of that (hz/fps) :D

At HDMI official page HDMI 2.1b It shows the PS5 Pro cable does 8k60 and uses uncompressed feature set of 2.1b

Supported:
  • 4K50/60
  • 4K100/120
  • 5K50/60
  • 5K100/120
  • 8K50/60
  • 8K100/120
  • 10K50/60
  • 10K100/120
I know what your thinking, you are thinking about compression. Ok.

• 4K100A - supports uncompressed mode
  • 4K100B - supports compressed mode
  • 4K100AB - supports both
  • 4K120A - supports uncompressed mode
  • 4K120B - supports compressed mode
  • 4K120AB - supports both
  • 8K50A - supports uncompressed mode
  • 8K50B - supports compressed mode
  • 8K50AB - supports both
  • 8K60A - supports uncompressed mode
  • 8K60B - supports compressed mode

Last edited:
Looking much worse than 1080p. Looking worse than 4k (if delivered).

8k is a marketing joke.
It's worse than that, even if it wasn't a marketing scam currently, even in A FEW YEARS when uncompressed 8K signal is feasible in meaningful ways, it's imperceptible. It's basically going from 180hz to 240hz. It truly is beyond differentiation. If I am in the moment focused on my race, I can notice by feel when things go from 120 to 90, and below 90 the buttery smoothness is gone, and below 60, it's just Pole Position arcade days all over again. So these 300hz+ monitors are akin to this 8K stuff.

When 4K@120 with zero drops is the minimally accepted tolerable enforced video game playable standard, anything beyond should be focused on gameplay enhancement and simulation fidelity and far more objects that matter/intractable in the world.

I mean if fans came down from the stands after a race and I could VR autograph their hats and babies and stuff and then sell the VR NFT on soneeBay to be able to afford the 50 bajillion dollar 1920s study banker auction house haverty's exploitation warehouse scalping then maybe it would kewl. More so if they could all climb into my HiAce and I could take them for a victory lap with it weighed down to the point of sparking around the whole track and dynamic weight shift as they tumble around inside, amIright?

At HDMI official page HDMI 2.1b It shows the PS5 Pro cable does 8k60 and uses uncompressed feature set of 2.1b

Supported:
  • 4K50/60
  • 4K100/120
  • 5K50/60
  • 5K100/120
  • 8K50/60
  • 8K100/120
  • 10K50/60
  • 10K100/120
I know what your thinking, you are thinking about compression. Ok.

• 4K100A - supports uncompressed mode
  • 4K100B - supports compressed mode
  • 4K100AB - supports both
  • 4K120A - supports uncompressed mode
  • 4K120B - supports compressed mode
  • 4K120AB - supports both
  • 8K50A - supports uncompressed mode
  • 8K50B - supports compressed mode
  • 8K50AB - supports both
  • 8K60A - supports uncompressed mode
  • 8K60B - supports compressed mode
Uh that page does not in any way mention "Sony", "PlayStation", or "PS5" Where does it show "the PS5 Pro cable does 8k60" ?

Specifications, Marketing, and actually implemented realities are 3 VERY different things.

Last edited:
Uh that page does not in any way mention "Sony", "PlayStation", or "PS5" Where does it show "the PS5 Pro cable does 8k60" ?

Specifications, Marketing, and actually implemented realities are 3 VERY different things.

There is nothing to speculate over. Sony advises to use the 48gbps HDMI cable. The cable has no choice but to support 8k60 uncompressed. Its the definition of what a standard is.

The previous poster indicated 8k60 was impossible unless compressed on HDMI.

Sir Crashalot

There will never be uncompressed 8k streams. I don't know of any uncompressed streams, no matter if it's 4k, 1080p or 720p. Streamed video is always compressed.
uncompressed video streaming

Last edited:
There will never be uncompressed 8k streams. I don't know of any uncompressed streams, no matter if it's 4k, 1080p or 720p. Streamed video is always compressed.
Which is why I prefer to watch on BluRay, which is why PS5 needs a disc drive :s
Streaming is simply the ugly last choice.

I will never upgrade my 4K UltraHD and BluRays to 8K, after so many upsampling versions over the decades, sorry UHF 4K, you're the end of the line as for extra copies go, sorry Channel 62. We'll always have Stanley Spudowski's clubhouse fun in our 4K hearts.. I can no longer tell any difference.

Maybe AI will redo the movies as part of the 8K upsampling from 35mm source film and can tailor the story so I am now in it and win that wheel of fish, talk about gas lighting...

Would you like to wager? Or shall I just help educate. There are RAW 8K video cameras for consumers, and have been for many years. Pro Grade 17K gear is even so much better. What you think and what is might not be the same thing.

Back