Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.52 Discussion Thread

• Thread starter notarjy
  • 791 comments
I'm a novice sim racer, recently upgrading to a force feedback wheel, cockpit, and haptics. Before update 1.49/1.50, I used a controller, but the shift in feel pushed me to invest in better gear for more precision in steering and braking. I'm not an expert; just sharing my thoughts.

I find the new physics frustrating. Although update 1.50 wasn't perfect, it offered more realistic handling characteristics and ride dynamics. Tires, especially comfort and sport ones, were almost unusable, but racing tires were nearly perfect, and weren't as grippy as they were in 1.47, providing more gradual traction loss, requiring precise steering, throttle and brake control. The issue I had with 1.50, was that once the rear broke loose, and if you didn't catch it immediately, the momentum seemed too high, making recovery nearly impossible, leading to the car spinning ad infinitum.

Now, with 1.52, sports soft and racing tires on some cars stick too well to the road. It feels like the rear end is glued to the ground. When accelerating, the rear downforce loads the suspension, but under heavy braking, the front loads up while the rear feels as if it remains stuck to the ground, causing understeer. (I admit that this may be due to my inexperience and poor technique.)

Transitioning from off-track surfaces to the track has improved, but the grip on the track is excessively strong. If I spin on the grass and hit the track, the car quickly "locks" onto it, which reduces endless spins but feels abrupt and unnatural. I'm also frustrated by the return of snap oversteer. In addition, some cars flip during braking. This happens more with short-wheelbase vehicles, like the '09 Abarth on racing soft tires. I know that racing softs might be overkill for such a car, but they are essential for time trials where I need maximum grip. I hadn't encountered this problem before.

Overall, I'm finding the game less enjoyable. PD needs to stop making so many dramatic changes to the game's physics. I don't expect 1:1 translation from real life to a sim. But, I would at least like what I am feeling and my response s in-game to somewhat be analogous to what I would experience IRL.

I'm disappointed because for me, Gran Turismo provides an excellent sim racing experience. The car modeling, sound design, and attention to environmental details are fantastic, delivering, to me, an experience that I have not gotten from other sims.
Just curious but what do you mean by comfort and sports tyres were almost unusable on update 1.50 ? Ive never noticed this,maybe different driving styles,im not what you call fast,my lap time on Tokyo for example,were similair before and after the update.The only real issues I had were the iffy suspension settings on some cars but they seem better now,I also dont class GT7 as a sim,more a simcade,even though I hate that term.Just my opinion mind. :lol:

Last edited:
If I spin on the grass and hit the track, the car quickly "locks" onto it, which reduces endless spins but feels abrupt and unnatural.
I don't really notice anything you are describing, but this part I actually disagree with. So much so that I'm wondering if you maybe have some assists turned on without noticing it?

Anyway the big change from 1.50 to 1.52 that I do notice is the ABS now working and that change I do like a lot.

"Resetting and settling on suspension" IN the GTAuto brake caliper color selection does not mean it's broken, if this is the only evidence of "bouncing " you have, not seeing any proof that it bounces in any appreciable way during a race, I rest my case that you have not proven that GT7 is a broken game.
Case dismissed on lack of evidence.
Oh, sorry, I should have made it more clear that my post was sarcasm :D

I agree with your conclusion. Physics has changed and people need to adapt. I'm seeing minor annoyances at worst.

You may not want to argue with anyone, but your post is destined to trigger @Voodoovaj.

Seriously though, the suspension issues are causing me to play the game less. I’m finding myself choosing cars and circuits where I’m least likely to encounter the bug, so lately I’ve stopped driving the Nordschleife. Sad. PD is taking too long to address this.
You should have asked if the car was tuned before the physics updates or after. Also, there's a host of video of cars around the Nordschleife being launched into the air or rolling over from hitting the curbs, which are sizeable.

Any issue with handling that i have encountered has been a couple clicks away from disappearing altogether.

Maybe it isn't "sad" that PD is not addressing it. Maybe there's nothing to address.

There are a few nagging things that I'd really love the "suspension bug deniers" to address:

- Why use footage (or worse, still images) of Gr. cars to discredit what people have explained is a bug that affects softer cars?

- If it's a skill issue, why do the infamously careful and conservative AI hop all over the place whenever they're driving the old Ferrari Mondial?

- If it's "simply how these old cars behave" then why didn't they do it before now? Was the game unrealistic before? But if it's realistic then why is there no footage of any old cars exhibiting the same behaviour at, say, Goodwood Revival events?

- If it's a skill issue, please explain how a stock Lancer Evo can pull a stoppie under braking

A positive i've noticed since the suspension tweaks is that cars that atleast for me were very unstable seem to perform fine now, the F40 when upgraded and the Corvette C6 when heavily modded randomly veered to the left or right under braking for the AI and the F40 used to be incredibly twitchy when I drove it myself. The C6 was the worst of the 2 as it even veered to the left on the Mulsanne straight during a custom race when driven by AI but the issues seem to be fixed now, though I have the cars running default suspensions since I recall reading somewhere on here that running cars with the racing suspension could sometimes cause it to be overly twitchy.

Supra

Currently in the game: A70, A80, 2 GR Supras; also the FT-1 if you want to count it
DLC Count: 0

Notes: Similar to the 86, I think they've squeezed all of the juice that's currently there, but the moment there's something new I imagine PD will be on it quickly.
I think it’s very likely they’ll add another variant of the A70. The Supra 2.5GT Twin Turbo R ‘90 to be specific, being a staple from older GT titles. I believe it’s slightly faster than to the 3.0GT Turbo A currently in GT7. It also comes with multiple colour options unlike the Turbo A, which is a rare homologation special.

Also, A60 Supra? The JDM version is called Celica XX, but it’s part of the Supra lineage. Standard car in GT6.

Last edited:
It’s amazing how you seem to think PD is never going to tweak the suspension physics again and likely iron out these odd suspension wobbles.
And THERE it is. It's a few oddities at worst.

Remember the BMW 3.0 CS at launch? undriveable because there rear snapped at the mere suggestion of a turn. Now, it's fantastic. Might there be additional alterations to the system? Maybe. But is what is occurring at the moment anything close to the 1.49 issue of cars launching into space? No. it's a minor annoyance, and it can be totally tuned out of every car.

I have managed to remove odd behaviors within 1 or 2 visits to the tuning menu.

Remember the BMW 3.0 CS at launch? undriveable because there rear snapped at the mere suggestion of a turn. Now, it's fantastic. Might there be additional alterations to the system? Maybe. But is what is occurring at the moment anything close to the 1.49 issue of cars launching into space? No. it's a minor annoyance, and it can be totally tuned out of every car.

Being able to tune it out is not an excuse for it being present. A car not handling great in stock form is to be expected (although most cars in most games are fine stock) - a car flinging itself upwards and breaking the laws of physics when stock is not.

There are a few nagging things that I'd really love the "suspension bug deniers" to address:

- Why use footage (or worse, still images) of Gr. cars to discredit what people have explained is a bug that affects softer cars?

- If it's a skill issue, why do the infamously careful and conservative AI hop all over the place whenever they're driving the old Ferrari Mondial?

- If it's "simply how these old cars behave" then why didn't they do it before now? Was the game unrealistic before? But if it's realistic then why is there no footage of any old cars exhibiting the same behaviour at, say, Goodwood Revival events?

- If it's a skill issue, please explain how a stock Lancer Evo can pull a stoppie under braking
After the update the physics in my opinion came alive.. you can now feel everything when driving especially the suspension.. the cars react differently when hitting curbs/bumps… or going over dips vs before.. I love driving the cars in stock form… and usually downgrade the tires significantly. I use CH tires with the old Evos’s but I’m not having these issues I see you guys posting.. Not saying there is no issues but when I drive them they drive fine… granted they are old cars with not the best suspension so I don’t push them like I would with a new car or tuned car but they still drive fine imo.

Few oddities? Some cars are currently undriveable. Stop downplaying the problem.
But is what is occurring at the moment anything close to the 1.49 issue of cars launching into space? No. it's a minor annoyance, and it can be totally tuned out of every car.
Closer to 1.49 than you realize. The suspension issues in version 1.52 originate from version 1.49. I’ve already told you this.

Tuned out? The beauty of driving a car in stock form is that you don’t have to tune it at all. So it’s not hard to recognize the presence of a serious problem when stock suspensions start acting really weird.
Good for you if you consider that a solution. Other people don’t.

Last edited:
Back