Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.52 Discussion Thread

• Thread starter notarjy
  • 971 comments
I still bet $1 that the thing which manifests this weird behavior is what causes this to happen on gr1 cars with 10/8 in game and about 20ndp on the dd+(15nm).

Its gotten less and less with every patch and is largely gone, except gr1’s. Its fine. Up the ndp and it becomes manageable and can go away. But at a cost to some ffb details. It will be interesting to see if pd iterates again with the next patch.

It's worth noting at this point that GT, since Sport, has always had an issue with rear suspension particularly but suspension in general.

The stock suspension setup of all cars is weird, and it's weird to the point that in some cases you can't actually set the values in customisable suspension to match those of the real world. Like, it's really easy to find out all the values for an NA MX-5; try and put them in. 1.49 changed the stock setup of a lot of cars, but this still persists.

If you want to actually see it in action, just go to any race where the AI cars are road cars at 500PP or less. The way they pitch under braking is absurd; sure these aren't stiffly sprung performance cars (except, you know, those that are), but the rear suspension reaches maximum travel on even benign stuff like the Alfa Romeo MiTo with very little provocation and the AI can even get the rear tyres off the ground (because they can exert more braking force than you can, by a long, long way). Just on stock brakes. And even on the dirt.

How the new physics works exactly, I can't say, but the fact is the launching cars in 1.49 and the persisting issues with some vehicles some of the time in 1.50/1.52 look very much related because it's all about rear expansion. In 1.49 the physics engine was clearly returning an out-of-range value and glitching out to cause the launches; for the current game version there's some instances where the rear expansion will reach maximum and then reset to cause bouncing. And yes, it exists.

Now... with all things considered, it's like there's some kind of fudging calculation between [suspension wants to do A] and [suspension does C] that's something like [suspension is supposed to do B] in order to create a more realistic behaviour - hence the weird stock settings and the impossibility of entering real ones.

I'm not saying that it's exactly the same thing, but... way, way back in the olden days of GT3 you could use things like GT3gEdit to extract full vehicle settings values as .ini files, edit them in Notepad, and then insert them back into the game - sometimes creating extreme values. There was a strange value called "Grip" which, it turned out after making some adjustments to it, seemed to be a setting for how "connected" (for want of a better word) the car's suspension was to its body. It had no obvious visual effects, but if set super low it made the car do this:

(ignore the F1 car chassis and the extreme camber)

High values, as I recall, basically made the car entirely inelastic.

Again, not saying that it's the same thing at all, but there is obviously a middle step in the suspension physics that we can't see and in GT3 "Grip" was just such a thing.

Interesting when it came to the FTO. I wonder, if PD do add the GNX, if they’ll replicate its rear suspension accurately.

You shouldn’t have to tune out a bug in a game ffs!
And yet, it's what we've been doing for 30 years. One could argue, because of the frequency and persistence of this activity over the past 30 years, this might be intentional 🤣
For the 27th time. No, they don’t.
And yet, Sport Mode works fine. The Time Trials work fine. I'll wager that the majority of players have no idea that this allegedly grave issue exists at all. That alone would suggest that, the other 400+ cars, do indeed work fine.

Remember, I only know of this issue because I found this thread. If I had never found this thread, I would have no knowledge of this (arguable) issue, and I play the game daily. I've tested (most of) these allegedly broken cars and found nothing.

I never wanted the 500 Mondial, but I might now, just so I can mess around with it.

Interesting when it came to the FTO. I wonder, if PD do add the GNX, if they’ll replicate its rear suspension accurately.

EP0xPlFt-Doubt.jpg

:guilty::guilty:

And yet, Sport Mode works fine. The Time Trials work fine. I'll wager that the majority of players have no idea that this allegedly grave issue exists at all. That alone would suggest that, the other 400+ cars, do indeed work fine.
Wow, the two modes infamous for not properly utilising all the content available in the game work fine? Who knew!

If a piece of content exists in the game, it should work as expected out of the box. RWD cars being incredibly unstable at launch was a very obvious issue that was quickly remedied - I see no reason this should be any different.

Even though I keep up with all the GT7 updates here on the forum, I don't actually play the game all that often. Since the new physics released in 1.49, I've mainly been working on the Kei Cup, so not an ideal place to experience the difference.

Tonight was the first time I've played with something a little faster, a '71 BMW in the 580PP Historic Car race. This is a car that's seen regular use out of my garage throughout the career mode, and I've found it pretty easy to drive in the past.

While I don't have the credentials to determine whether the current physics are more realistic than before 1.49, I'd say that they've become less controller-friendly. I frequently find myself in situations where it's hard to tell whether my tires are loose or the car's suspension simply hasn't settled down yet. If I choose the wrong symptom to correct, I end up spinning out in one direction or another. There seems to be a hard rebound effect in the suspension that wasn't being simulated to the same degree before, and the game doesn't really have a good way to tell you that it's happening.

I haven't played with it enough to make a full judgement, but it's certainly going to take some getting used to. Before you tell me that it's because I'm a bad driver: Yes, yes I am. I'm a terrible, casual driver who's only in the Gran Turismo scene because I like making cheap old economy cars go fast.

Anyway, this post has nothing to do with the debate that's been raging in this thread for what feels like weeks, I just wanted to give my impression of the new physics.

Even though I keep up with all the GT7 updates here on the forum, I don't actually play the game all that often. Since the new physics released in 1.49, I've mainly been working on the Kei Cup, so not an ideal place to experience the difference.

Tonight was the first time I've played with something a little faster, a '71 BMW in the 580PP Historic Car race. This is a car that's seen regular use out of my garage throughout the career mode, and I've found it pretty easy to drive in the past.

While I don't have the credentials to determine whether the current physics are more realistic than before 1.49, I'd say that they've become less controller-friendly. I frequently find myself in situations where it's hard to tell whether my tires are loose or the car's suspension simply hasn't settled down yet. If I choose the wrong symptom to correct, I end up spinning out in one direction or another. There seems to be a hard rebound effect in the suspension that wasn't being simulated to the same degree before, and the game doesn't really have a good way to tell you that it's happening.

I haven't played with it enough to make a full judgement, but it's certainly going to take some getting used to. Before you tell me that it's because I'm a bad driver: Yes, yes I am. I'm a terrible, casual driver who's only in the Gran Turismo scene because I like making cheap old economy cars go fast.

Anyway, this post has nothing to do with the debate that's been raging in this thread for what feels like weeks, I just wanted to give my impression of the new physics.

Sorry to hear that mate.

Assume you drive stock cars? Must admit i never do now. Haven't for a good year or so tbh.

Purely use Praiano's tunes (obviousky post 1.49 only now), and they work flawlessly with new physics.

I'm not a top driver by a long stretch either. And the cars are planted, quick and fun to drive.

Apologies if this is controversial/annoys people, as you may know, he charges a few pound a month for access. But we'll worth it, particularly if you've stopped playing due to how cars behave when stock, or not optimised since recent updates :)

Hey guys - this kind of relates to the update, I swear.

So with playing the game for only a couple months, it’s plain to see that there’s been huge differences in the grip physics and just car physics in general. I seen a forum post like 3 years ago of a guy posting sub 1:20s on Deep Forest with base Gr. 3 cars (outside of custom gear layouts), so I just wanna know if after all these updates, are those times still possible?

I’m just trying to find a benchmark for where I fit in right now with my times and how much I need to analyze & improve - I’ve been running a consistent 1:22.440 to 1:22.673. I am only trying to find where the bar is, I haven’t made any adjustments to the car yet (Viper GT3R because hell yeah, ik it’s not the best) and of course I could just go to multiplayer and find out myself but uhhh… I’d rather not ruin my driver rating early on.

Times is all I ask for. I just wanna know if these dudes are cracked, if they had it easy, or GT7 is just inconsistent.

You guys helped me with my G29 potentiometer issue so I’m looking forward to what you guys have for this one. Thank you!

(PS: ik quite a few players got away with gold license tests before they made them much harder, tsk tsk, so I hope at least some of you went back to truly gold them all again)

Last edited:

Remember, I only know of this issue because I found this thread. If I had never found this thread, I would have no knowledge of this (arguable) issue, and I play the game daily. I've tested (most of) these allegedly broken cars and found nothing.

I never wanted the 500 Mondial, but I might now, just so I can mess around with it.
Monkey paw: They'll probably have a road-going Lancer Evo or Ferrari Mondial in a Lap Time Challenge sooner or later so the Sportheads will realize about the issue.

---

Also, I accidentally discovered how to make the seemingly interrelated GT Auto suspension bouncing thing more obvious (using Lancer Evo VI's Rear Parts) for those who didn't find it obvious:

Last edited:
Back