Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Thread

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 11,921 comments
For those in GT2 and below, what are your thoughts on pitting off hards to softs after lap one and running fuel map 3 or 4 to the end?
I've just done a Custom Race with x6 fuel in the Subaru WRX. Without any fuel saving I was on target for 10.5 laps. No idea what the time loss per lap on hards is compared to fuel saving. Plus of course the longer you run it the less time you lose refueling in the pits.

I could certainly see me being tempted to come in early if I started on hards and was stuck at the back of traffic. If I start on softs then I could well try short shifting plus lift and coast when in traffic to eek out an extra lap or two.

Overall I think I'm going to be hoping to qualify nearish the front and start on softs, then play it by ear from there.

I’ve done some testing and it seems to me that PD might have nailed this combo as far as strat goes for GT1.

By my calculations
10s24h, 10s10s14h, 10s10s10s4h, 16m18h and 10s16m18h are all within about 4 seconds of each other.

The keys to best strat will likely be consistency and speed on different compounds, track position and damage.

It will be interesting (and critical) to see whether PD have fixed the aero repair bug before Saturday. It could literally decide races here.

For those in GT2 and below, what are your thoughts on pitting off hards to softs after lap one and running fuel map 3 or 4 to the end?
Probably depends on your choice of car, but my guess is that the amount of fuel saving you'll need to do to reach 14 laps on softs is going to outweigh any benefit you get from the better tires.

Besides, don't you need to do a full lap on hards --crossing the line at start and finish -- to satisfy the tire requirement and avoid the penalty?

My guess is that 3-5 laps on hards and the remaining one softs will be optimal for most cars.

In my tests with the Peugeot, the sweet spot seems to be 4 laps on hards and 11 on softs, but it takes some light fuel saving (short shifting to 3/4) to get there.

Probably depends on your choice of car, but my guess is that the amount of fuel saving you'll need to do to reach 14 laps on softs is going to outweigh any benefit you get from the better tires.

Besides, don't you need to do a full lap on hards --crossing the line at start and finish -- to satisfy the tire requirement and avoid the penalty?

My guess is that 3-5 laps on hards and the remaining one softs will be optimal for most cars.

In my tests with the Peugeot, the sweet spot seems to be 4 laps on hards and 11 on softs, but it takes some light fuel saving (short shifting to 3/4) to get there.
Yeah, perhaps short-shifting is the way to go. I'm using the TT Cup, unfortunately. I tried a race last night in a test lobby and without fuel-saving and managed 9 laps on softs and then ran the final 6 on hards. The laps times were 3 - 4 seconds different between the two.

You can pit at the end of lap 1 and that satisfies the requirements. It's been a strategy a few times in the past, races with a mandatory pitstop but no noticeable tyre wear.

Anyone done a 17H/17H run? I'll probably only do this race to build my DR back up so I'm not gonna take it too seriously, but my limited testing so far doesn't give me confidence to run almost half the race on Mediums...

Anyone done a 17H/17H run? I'll probably only do this race to build my DR back up so I'm not gonna take it too seriously, but my limited testing so far doesn't give me confidence to run almost half the race on Mediums...
What car are you in? Unless it's really rough on it's tyres, an all-Hards one-stop is likely going to be overkill.

I do about 10-11 laps.on soft, before being slower. Saving fuel does that I can't really use the speed the softs offer so I go full on softs for about 22 laps then switch to hards and the reduced fuel load makes me almost as fast again

What car are you in? Unless it's really rough on it's tyres, an all-Hards one-stop is likely going to be overkill.
Corvette. Haven't done much testing but I was only getting about 11 laps out of the Mediums before they were no faster than Hards. Doing 5 or so more laps on them doesn't seem like it would work.

i'm about 2.5 seconds slower in hards, I will try to improve but for now it's like that. So based on this, if I'd do 5 more laps in soft the gain would be 12.5 seconds which i will probably lose during the remaining 14 laps, changing gears sooner and being distracted with fuel consumption. It's takes "only" +0.9 seconds per lap to lose those 12.5 seconds... I will test it, but anyway might be not consistent enough to get any meaningful data.

It would be less worthy if you are faster in hards.

Hope maths are correct.

Last edited:

That's my understanding of the requirements - neither an in-lap nor an out-lap counts, so one can only go a total of 13 laps (including in-/out-laps) on alternate tires.

I did some testing with the Corvette Gr.4. On RS at FM 1, I was averaging about 1:51 (my first laps on that track/configuration in quite a while, so I figure I could get it down to about 1:50), getting 9 laps in on fuel. On FM 5, necessary to get 13 laps on fuel, I was up to 1:54. On RH/FM 1, I was a bit under 1:53.

My plan is to qualify and start on RH, hoping to miss the carnage, then come down on lap 6 for RS tires.

My experience says that...well, plan a strategy is a must, but doing too much calculation is quite difficult cause you never know what will happen in the race...you can get stuck behind 2 slow car, you can be alone and just go as fast as you like, it's hard to plan a fuel saving 100% spot on strategy, you can think and plan about it but execution is tricky.
What I'll do?
Hope to start on soft after a decent Q, not easy cause I'm always really slow on this track, and then fuel map1 with a slight short shifting just to gain maybe 1-2 lap if possible...but it's just my thought, while in the race I'm gonna go 100% full gas

ps. 458 italia here obviously
:D

Last edited:
Did as full length gt1 lobby tonight and now I’m thinking a two stop has a chance of being better for me. Did 22 h and 12 s but man it seems like an eternity on hards. My last laps on hards did get faster as the car ran low on fuel.

For me when to fuel is a big part of when to pit because I like the car as light as possible but you need to plan within your range. I wouldn’t fuel save to make a tire strat work.

It Got late tonight so I’ll study my lap times tomorrow to better understand how it might play out.
I did a bunch of custom 2x races to gain knowledge of # laps on soft or hard but I think I’ll mostly do a few more full length practices so it invites the chance for inconsistency or COD deaths into full swing.

Last edited:
I think I'm going with 3 stops. 3x11 S + 1 H. The extra stint on softs is about 15-20 seconds faster which outweighs the extra pit stop time. Plus I hate the hards in the CoD and long sweeping corners and more stops means more opportunities to repair damage which I will 100% need to factor in. Only variable is traffic, maybe pit after the first lap and hope for clean air.

Last edited:
I have a feeling this race is going to be VERY INTERESTING. I’ve ran a variety of strategies in custom races, and they all are within a few seconds of each other.

I think I’m going to need to have a couple different strategies ready to go, depending on how the race unfolds from a traffic-damage-qualifying position-strength of lobby-other racer’s strategy point of view.

The COD on the first lap is going to be the big kicker. There’s been plenty of times I’ve done that race where a car wadded up in front of me, but didn’t ghost quick enough and I got damage as a result. The 3-stop is very tempting…but it’ll only work if you don’t get damage. That is unless you start on hards and get damage on the first lap. The 22H/12S could work too…but depending on your qualifying position, that could wreck havoc too if you get damage

Seeing some confusion about the rules for required tyres and how many laps you need to run them. I went back and found an example to help explain.

You can start on a required tyre and then pit to change them at the end of the first lap, or pit to put them on at the beginning of the final lap, and satisify the requirements without penalties. There's no way to pit before the rolling start, and changing them at the end of the final lap does incur a penalty.

There was a Gr3 exhibition at Grand Valley earlier this year. The required tyres were RM & RS. I started on the mediums, pitting at the end of lap 1:

IMG_3397.JPG

and then ran the remaining 16 laps on the softs.

IMG_3399.JPG

Both required tyre types used, no penalties.

For the GT2/GT3 race on Saturday (ignoring fuel), the hards are required so you could do either 1H/14S or 14S/1H with no penalty.

Hope this helps (and makes sense).

I may reactivate one of my backup accounts and join Mazda to give the new car a go. The Gr4 Atenza always put me off signing with them.

Stupid question: How are you all doing these tests?

I've read that it is possible to set up a private multiplayer lobby to practice alone with the exact race conditions (BoP, required tires, tire wear, etc), but when I try, the minimum number of racers I can set is 2 and if I try to run the race alone I get an error message saying 'You cannot race alone'. What am I doing wrong?

I've mostly been doing Custom Races to do my testing, but it doesn't seem to apply the BoP settings (even though there is a BoP option) and it's missing settings that are in Multiplayer lobbies, such as required tires.
You need to have another human player in the lobby to be able to start race. What I tend to do is set the lobby up for quali conditions and then change it to race conditions. When I practice a race, I’ll use the outlap as the first lap of the race and carry on from there. The outlap is similar to the rolling lap in tyre wear/fuel wear so you can get a pretty good idea of both.

Some times I will run a full custom race with AI to get a feel of how overtaking will go and race pace but, as the AI is rubbish I tend not to do this much.

So in my testing I’ve just been going for the 1 stop strategy. You have save about 5 laps of fuel and with soft tyres available it’s quicker to go flat out I believe and stop for fuel and tyres. I’m sure someone will try the 0 stop but not sure it will work.
Im running the Silvia so my strategy is 6 hard and 9 soft, but think most are 10/5 split

You need to have another human player in the lobby to be able to start race. What I tend to do is set the lobby up for quali conditions and then change it to race conditions. When I practice a race, I’ll use the outlap as the first lap of the race and carry on from there. The outlap is similar to the rolling lap in tyre wear/fuel wear so you can get a pretty good idea of both.

Some times I will run a full custom race with AI to get a feel of how overtaking will go and race pace but, as the AI is rubbish I tend not to do this much.

So in my testing I’ve just been going for the 1 stop strategy. You have save about 5 laps of fuel and with soft tyres available it’s quicker to go flat out I believe and stop for fuel and tyres. I’m sure someone will try the 0 stop but not sure it will work.
Im running the Silvia so my strategy is 6 hard and 9 soft, but think most are 10/5 split
I might shortshift in traffic, saved fuel is less time gassing up

Same for the AMG, 1 stop, 6H/9S, no way I'm saving enough fuel to go 0 stop. I'm finding 2-3 seconds lost between hard and soft, which was challenging in a couple of practice lobbies with similarly ranked drivers.

I might shortshift in traffic, saved fuel is less time gassing up
That’s a good idea actually. Yeah I’ll be short shifting in slipstream. Thanks 👍🏻

Same for the AMG, 1 stop, 6H/9S, no way I'm saving enough fuel to go 0 stop. I'm finding 2-3 seconds lost between hard and soft, which was challenging in a couple of practice lobbies with similarly ranked drivers.
Yeah my average race pace on hards was a low 1.50 and on softs it’s 1.48. If I tried to fuel save I reckon my lap time would 1.52ish. 4 seconds a lap slower compared to softs if way too much

Anyone actually doing any tuning for this round?
I am. I'm setting my rear dampers to minimum and leaving the front at default in my McLaren. I think that ends up being 30/40 front, 20/30 rear.

At Suzuka I found the car better suits my driving style if I induce a little bit of understeer with stiffer front dampers. I had previously tightened the front at Suzuka, but when I tried that at Dragon Trail I found the car really wasn't nice on the kerbs.

I just whacked on the same settings I ended up with at Suzuka, drives nicely for me

I am. I'm setting my rear dampers to minimum and leaving the front at default in my McLaren. I think that ends up being 30/40 front, 20/30 rear.

At Suzuka I found the car better suits my driving style if I induce a little bit of understeer with stiffer front dampers. I had previously tightened the front at Suzuka, but when I tried that at Dragon Trail I found the car really wasn't nice on the kerbs.

I did pretty extensive strategy testing for this round with just a standard BOP setting and without doing any ghost-following TT practice beforehand (I’ve found that just kinda jumping in and not necessarily being on the exact optimal lines better simulates actual racing, and will help me figure out strategy).

Now that I have my different strategies figured out, it’s time to follow some ghosts and hammer out a tune. I tried my tune I came up with for Suzuka, and yeah….it ain’t gonna work. Too damn soft through the entire COD complex. I could use a bit more turn-in, but I just need to figure out how to do it without compromising high-speed stability through COD complex and the esses in sector 2

Last edited:
Anyone actually doing any tuning for this round?
I did a fair bit of tuning and testing on the Gr.4 RCZ. The only thing that I found helped my times was tightening the front compression damper. Changing any of the other settings just made me slower. That one change, though, helped me knock about 0.6s off my optimal time, so I feel like it was time well spent.

Last edited:
Been testing Gr.4 fuel a bit for tomorrow. I found the new Mazda3 is roughly equivalent to the Ferrari on fuel usage if you're going flat out, so one of the best in the class but the biodiesel isn't OP. The Atenza is the one car that might actually be able to pull of 1H/14S without too much fuel-saving, but the downside of that is in every other respect it's an awful car, so don't do that, Mazda drivers.

I think I'm going to try and fuel-save a lot in the Citroen, since it's a car that isn't great on fuel but is very good on tyres so extending the soft stint might still be worth it.

Back