Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Thread

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 12,083 comments
You're thinking of the C8 Z06. That has a flat-plane crank which is why it sounds more like a Ferrari's V8. The base model C8 you posted up there has typical cross-plane crank which gives it an uneven firing order and the typical rumbling V8 sound.

Interesting, I guess I didn't realize the Z06 and standard models had different layouts. Fair enough.

Regardless, the 05 Ford GT doesn't (the newer one does but it's a V6TT so not even in the same ballpark) so my initial complaint still stands. :D

Regardless, the 05 Ford GT doesn't (the newer one does but it's a V6TT so not even in the same ballpark) so my initial complaint still stands. :D
You're quite right, the Ecoboost V6 GT isn't in the same ballpark at all, it's far better sounding :P.

Especially in full-fat GTE LM trim, one of best sounding GT cars of the modern era for me. I feel PD did a pretty good job of replicating the sound of the '18 GT LM in game. Just missing a few more character defining pops and crackles on the overrun. Though I admit to being one of the few that felt the most recent GT was far better off by having the V6. Along with its aesthetics, it made it a far better modern homage to the original GT40 in my opinion. The '05 never quite did it for me.

------
Anyway, getting back on topic, the next manufacturer round at DTS 🤔. Love Seaside, but I struggle for absolute pace there. I've seen suggestions that it could be a no-stop on the hards. But I'd like to hope the lap time delta compared to the softer tyres could make a 1 stop viable? Can't remember how long the pit loss at Seaside is though.

Last edited:
You're quite right, the Ecoboost V6 GT isn't in the same ballpark at all, it's far better sounding :P.

Especially in full-fat GTE LM trim, one of best sounding GT cars of the modern era for me. I feel PD did a pretty good job of replicating the sound of the '18 GT LM in game. Just missing a few more character defining pops and crackles on the overrun. Though I admit to being one of the few that felt the most recent GT was far better off by having the V6. Along with its aesthetics, it made it a far better modern homage to the original GT40 in my opinion. The '05 never quite did it for me.

------
Anyway, getting back on topic, the next manufacturer round at DTS 🤔. Love Seaside, but I struggle for absolute pace there. I've seen suggestions that it could be a no-stop on the hards. But I'd like to hope the lap time delta compared to the softer tyres could make a 1 stop viable? Can't remember how long the pit loss at Seaside is though.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling for pace on this one. I haven't done Seaside Reverse in a long time and certainly not in VR. It's harder than I was expecting, everything is blind!

My free practice best is a 1:38.0, but my race pace times on Softs so far are in the mid 1:39s. Part of that will be from being cautious through the chicane (which is going to feast on Saturday I reckon), but I can't imagine the rest is solely from fuel weight. Am I being unusually slow or is that fairly normal here?

I've only done a little bit of race conditions practice so far. A no-stop would need a fair bit of fuel saving, at least in the McLaren. I got the impression fuel will last about 2/3rds-3/4ths of the full distance. I think the Softs would last about 12 laps, but I understeered off the S-bends on lap 9 and quit so... :P

Edit - Remembered this round is different for GT1/2/3. I'm talking about GT1 here.

Last edited:
Interesting, I guess I didn't realize the Z06 and standard models had different layouts. Fair enough.

Yup.

6.2 L LT2 crossplane OHV V8 (Stingray and E-Ray)
5.5 L LT6 flat-plane DOHC V8 (Z06)

Supposedly 2 more models still to come that will also be based off of the Z06's powerplant, the 800hp twin-turbo ZR-1 and the 1,00hp hybrid Zora. Hope they all end up in GT at some point down the road :D

2023/4 GTWS Exhibition Season 1 – Nations’ Cup R1 – Deep Forest
GT2 League - Mid-B / S Lobby – 104pts to winner
Reasons too dull to go into mean that I’m only free to race every other Saturday at the moment so this race was my first of this Exhibition season. I’d done plenty of laps solo in Free Practice mode but hadn’t been able to find any mock races in Multiplayer, and setting up a custom race with my own Ford GT (yes, I’m a sucker for meta cars, I tend to work on the “they can’t all be wrong” system) just felt odd as my own GT seemed to be very different to the one they give you in the race’s Free Practice mode. Of course it was – I hadn’t realised that the specified car was in a particular state of tune that felt very different from the garage car despite being the same PP.
In the end I just decided to get my lines and braking as consistently good in practice as I could and go into the first slot I could on Saturday, thus leaving me with spare slots in case it all went wrong.
I had calculated that the only way I was going to get 3 flying laps in qualifying was to leave the pit lane as soon as the session opened, I was sure that everyone else would do the same thing so decided to hold on for a bit, I’d only get 2 flying laps but they’d be in clean space, losing me a potential “tow” in qualifying (was slipstreaming turned on in Q?) but gaining me the track to myself. I did a 1:36.7 something and ended up Q9 (I was board #10 in this lobby so at least I beat my ranking), which was not the best place to be as I would have to worry about both avoiding cars ahead and being attacked from behind.
This was an all-Ford affair apart from one driver in an AMG a couple of slots ahead and a Porsche driver at the back who hadn’t set a qualifying time. Everyone was sensible around T1, I made up one place around the infield but this short squabble caused me to lose touch with the top 7 or so cars ahead on the back straight – I didn’t get a tow off them – but this was all to the good as some of them misjudged the braking for the hairpin (as a result of the strong slipstream meaning they arrived at their braking point much faster than in practice), meaning I took on p% without being in danger myself.
I then got in one of the best battles of my time driving GT with 4th place, we’d change positions twice a lap – sometimes more – and got to the stage we were indicating to each other when we would stay on one side of the track or the other approaching the braking zones and thanking each other with the hazard lights after the corner. I eventually made 4th my own after a few laps and set off after the 2nd / 3rd battle, who were holding each other up and allowing 1st to get away. They got together at the corner leading on to the back stretch and one of them got sideways, they didn’t spin but were slowed up, I was able to get them under braking into the hairpin, putting me into p3. A couple of laps later I was chasing p2 out of the infield and onto the back straight when the yellow flag was thrown, turns out the leader had put themselves into the barrier and their 8-second advantage was gone. In the confusion I got past p2 (not under yellows) and lined up the leader on the front straight but decided I wasn’t close enough for a pass. This didn’t determine P3 though, who used the double tow to get past me and knock the leader wide (I must report no penalty was given, but I’d seen other similar incidents given 3s penalty), leaving them in p1, me in p2 and the previous leader down in p5 or thereabouts.
I got past p2 and briefly led after that, but I was slipstreamed past in short order and settled back into p2. By the penultimate lap the previous leader was behind me and made a robust pass in the infield between the first 2 tunnels – they set off after p1 (who’d hit them earlier on remember) and on the final lap I could see the puffs of smoke as the cars got together time and time again. My thoughts were “hold station, you could easily inherit one or both places here” and it came to pass on the back straight under braking for the hairpin, with the original leader against the inner barrier facing the wrong way as I retook p2, and that’s where I finished – 100pts, my first triple digit score in a GTWS race.
The original leader wasn’t happy in post-race chat, and quite frankly I don’t blame them.
So to summarise, a decent result but it felt strangely unsatisfying. I normally like to prepare for a GTWS race by first doing some laps in free practice, then setting up a custom race with all the full race parameters and racing against the AI for a few race-length practice runs to determine which strategy I like best regarding pitting, fuel map etc (OK that wouldn’t have been relevant here but I still like the race-length practises against other cars) and then move on to mock races in Multiplayer including a qualifying session and a full length race (I’ll even race the GT1 length if that’s all that’s available, or I’ll set up my own room to GT2/3 rules).
That wasn’t really possible here – the car being in a particular state of tune that didn’t resemble the standard garage car meant that it was difficult to get a replica, and that made it difficult to set up a custom race, and no-one seemed interested in mock races in Multiplayer, which meant I felt underprepared coming into the race – and I was right to feel that way, no-one had any experience of racing in these cars under the super strong slipstream, and with these tyres in close contact to other drivers – I got the feeling many people started with the braking points they’d used in the Gr.3 daily here a few weeks earlier (where the Ford GT was also the meta car), but that was a racer on Racing Soft tyres so it didn’t end well…
Having said that, I’d happily settle for a similar result at the next Nations’ round in 2 weeks’ time. It probably won’t happen though, as the X2019 is far too quick for an old geezer like me so I’ll see how I take to it in practise before I even decide whether or not to enter.

as the X2019 is far too quick for an old geezer like me
For me as well. 😂

so I’ll see how I take to it in practise before I even decide whether or not to enter.
Lot's of wheel spin out of corners for me at least with controller, even with soft tires, so I'm not sure it is a good idea to enter that race for me. 🤔

(Race 1 went really good, started on 7th place and ended up on 5th place, happy with that.)

Last edited:
15 laps of the CoD (in any direction) is not my idea of fun, but I'll just do my tortoise impression and hope to pick up places as everyone crashes down in GT3. Happy to have a much shorter race than GT1 but I kinda wish we had their heavy damage for this one.

At least the Gr4 NSX feels a lot more stable and safe than the Gr3 monster.

Lot's of wheel spin out of corners for me at least with controller, even with soft tires, so I'm not sure it is a good idea to enter that race for me. 🤔
Try turning traction control up to 3, that helps me survive. Normally I'm on 1 or 2 depending on the car, but this beast needs the extra to keep it under control.

L3 with my thumb, with motion sensor my arms would go everywhere. 😂
Mine do. It's very good for fitness though (well at least according to my fitness watch which records several thousand steps per race :)
md31433306717.jpg

So any GT1 guys do a race sim for this Saturday's Manu cup race and come up with some tire strats? The only required tire is RH, but RS and RM are also available. 34 laps and 2x fuel/4x tire

I actually already did a race sim for next Saturday's Nation's cup in the X2019 and I think I know how many laps I can do for each and which compound to use in which order depending on qualifying, but that race requires you to use all 3 compounds in the race. 30 laps 1x fuel/4x tire

EDIT: so I just ran a quick race sim @ DTS. There's no way I'm going to manage a no stop on this one for sure with how lousy I am at tire savings. I can manage to make RH last 21 laps before front right is just about dead in the Supra. So I'll probably do a 1 stopper and put on RM and enough fuel to finish it looks like.

Last edited:
I did a few custom races with 2x multiplier so 17 laps and definitely needed fuel.
Tried starting hards to soft and soft to hard. I know how long the tires last and how many laps I can make it on fuel. My vote is starting on hard atm. Will join some lobbies this week to run the full race and finalize plans.

I don’t see a 2 stop for me unless lap slowing damage happens while on hards.
On paper I could probably make all three compounds fit based on pit loss but I’ve never been good enough to make that work out.

I’m only mid A so there’s more variability in my ranks to make different strategies work.

So any GT1 guys do a race sim for this Saturday's Manu cup race and come up with some tire strats? The only required tire is RH, but RS and RM are also available. 34 laps and 2x fuel/4x tire

I actually already did a race sim for next Saturday's Nation's cup in the X2019 and I think I know how many laps I can do for each and which compound to use in which order depending on qualifying, but that race requires you to use all 3 compounds in the race. 30 laps 1x fuel/4x tire

EDIT: so I just ran a quick race sim @ DTS. There's no way I'm going to manage a no stop on this one for sure with how lousy I am at tire savings. I can manage to make RH last 21 laps before front right is just about dead in the Supra. So I'll probably do a 1 stopper and put on RM and enough fuel to finish it looks like.
I have not tried it but going off the settings I think it'll be a 2 or 3 stop using softs as much as possible
That said regardless of strategy, it'll just be about crashing the least in the chicane of death

Interesting seeing the possible routes that Manufacturers might go. I did a full length GT1 run last night and went 16M/18H to see how that felt. I could have potentially extended the Medium stint another lap or two but wanted to get off of them by that point.

I'll have to give it another go with a 2 stop using Softs and see how that plays out. I'm getting the impression the McLaren is pretty good on tyre wear at least.

Last edited:
Interesting seeing the possible routes that Manufacturers might go. I did a full length GT1 run last night and went 16M/18H to see how that felt. I could have potentially extended the Medium stint another lap or two but wanted to get off of them by that point.

I'll have to give it another go with a 2 stop using Softs and see how that plays out. I'm getting the impression the McLaren is pretty good on tyre wear at least.

Hmmm, I am expecting it to be a 1 stop 11s23h. No way I am making up the pit loss with a 2nd soft stint.

What was your lap time difference between the mediums and the hards?

Hmmm, I am expecting it to be a 1 stop 11s23h. No way I am making up the pit loss with a 2nd soft stint.

I'll need to do some more practice since last night was my first attempt with both Mediums and Hards and my consistency was bad.

As things stand, I'd say I was roughly getting 0.75-1 second difference between compounds but it took me a while to get a feel for them. The fresh Hards felt awful at first compared to my worn Mediums but started feeling better once they had warmed up.

The main thing for me was the more gradual drop off on the Mediums. I really don't like how the Softs feel past 8-9 laps or so, but now that I've had experience on the Hards and gotten more feel for managing lower grip, maybe I'll manage it better.

The Gr.3 vs Gr.4 split in the even rounds also causes problems for the GT website - the even rounds are always listed as Gr.3 regardless of the league.

(Also note that the HK/SG event name bug is still not yet fixed.)
1695724765919.png

EDIT: Also, the randomizer for the Manufacturers Round 2 says...
1695725026577.png

Last edited:
I did a full length GT1 run last night and went 16M/18H to see how that felt. I could have potentially extended the Medium stint another lap or two but wanted to get off of them by that point.
Stupid question: How are you all doing these tests?

I've read that it is possible to set up a private multiplayer lobby to practice alone with the exact race conditions (BoP, required tires, tire wear, etc), but when I try, the minimum number of racers I can set is 2 and if I try to run the race alone I get an error message saying 'You cannot race alone'. What am I doing wrong?

I've mostly been doing Custom Races to do my testing, but it doesn't seem to apply the BoP settings (even though there is a BoP option) and it's missing settings that are in Multiplayer lobbies, such as required tires.

Stupid question: How are you all doing these tests?

I've read that it is possible to set up a private multiplayer lobby to practice alone with the exact race conditions (BoP, required tires, tire wear, etc), but when I try, the minimum number of racers I can set is 2 and if I try to run the race alone I get an error message saying 'You cannot race alone'. What am I doing wrong?

I've mostly been doing Custom Races to do my testing, but it doesn't seem to apply the BoP settings (even though there is a BoP option) and it's missing settings that are in Multiplayer lobbies, such as required tires.
When I'm not practicing in a private lobby with someone else, I do mine as custom races with 1 AI car and BoP turned on. It's always seemed to work for me, forcing my car's power and weight to what they should be. The remaining settings stay unlocked but I think the BoP uses the stock settings for everything else.

Other than that I just make sure I use the required tyres since custom races can't enforce them.

I think an optional strat, if you struggle with hards is:

5-7 laps hards, 16-18 laps mediums, 11-13 laps softs. Might be a little slower, but you ought to have an empty track for much of the race and less fighting. I expect the tire diff to be 0,8 sec/lap between mediums to hards, but I will have to do some testing with it all. 0,8 sec/lap is a rough estimate, based on what they tend to announce as tire difference in gtws live races between hards and mediums.

I really dislike the hards, especially on FR cars like Aston (my manufacturer), so this might be something I try, especially if I have bad pace with hard tires. But I shall test first. I do hope tire change stops do not take a lot of time, kinda sad if 1 stop is the only strat there is 😔😬.

Last edited:
Problem I'm having in testing out strategies is that I only get a handful of fast laps on the RS or RM before they fall off noticeably and eventually I'm running close to the same laptimes as fresher RH, which stay fresher for longer. I can't see the pit loss being made up by doing an extra stop.

For me its definitely going to be 13/14 laps on RM and 20/21 laps on RH, unfortunately I can't make the RM last longer in the Supra. Where I qualify will determine which compound I use first I guess.

I do hope tire change stops do not take a lot of time, kinda sad if 1 stop is the only strat there is 😔😬.

A pit stop for just tires and no fuel or damage repairs takes about 17 seconds.

Without doing any testing for this round as of yet, just knowing the track and the multipliers, I think I’m going to be going for hard - soft - medium strategy. Where I qualify will depend if I start on the hards or softs.

Not even counting the COD, this track is extremely unforgiving to mistakes, with most run off areas being high speed, with slick grass, closely followed by a wall. Unlike Suzuka, most off track excursions WILL RESULT in damage that won’t be bad enough where you “have” to pit…. but bad enough for you to lose ~1 second a lap, effectively ruining your soft stint. Not to mention, a lot of the turns at DT are of moderate speed, and require you to use the kerbs ——-> which will not bode well with ailing tires.

There will be a lot of people driving around with damage.

….furthermore, for me personally, my best strategy will be staying out of traffic so I can just click off consistent, no-drama laps.

I think a very solid strategy for me, will be to time my stops where I’m finishing on mediums that still have life left come checker flag. You’ll be able to easily get past the guys who are either carrying damage, or are nursing worn Softs on the closing laps. And since your mediums still have life, the hard-runners aren’t going to be able to put up much a fight either.

For me, if I qualify top 5….. I’m starting on Softs then going to about lap 10-11 for the undercut. Then hard tires till I can get to my medium stint (+1 extra lap on hards, just to make sure I’m finishing the race at speed).

If I’m outside of the top 5. I’ll start on hards and do my best to hold the soft-runners behind me up, till I feel like they’re just going to push me out of the way… which in that case, I’ll let them through. Then I’ll run the Softs in the middle stint till they fall off by about 1 second per lap from my FL times, which at that point I’ll change to mediums.

I don’t plan on doing anymore than 8 laps on the RH’s. Regardless, this off-beat strategy will keep me out of traffic the majority of the race…which is the most important thing IMO

Basically, the majority of my testing will be how long I can get the mediums to last with consistent times, as I anticipate those tires being my work horses. I’m not super concerned with how much slower they are than Softs, or how much faster they are then hards.

Last edited:
I tried a 1H/19M/14S run last night and ended up going about 15s faster than my initial run, but my consistency was also much better. I think I'm going to have to repeat the 1-stop later and see how that goes.

The 2-stop is tempting though, starting on Hards and pitting at the end of lap 1 to (hopefully) run in free air for a while. Between the chicane of death, the seafront hairpin, the start of the S-bends and the sector 3 chicane, this isn't a layout I'm keen on staying in the pack for especially whilst playing in VR. I'd rather find some space, avoid the danger, get my head down and try get into a consistent flow.

Seeing the apex on the approach to the seafront hairpin in my McLaren is difficult because the car's frame obscures it, and the entrances to the S-bends and final chicane are blind due to the track dropping away. I don't really want to be stuck in close quarters whilst doing those for long.

Last edited:
Back