Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Thread

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 11,941 comments
I had great fun in the recent Daily A race and it should be identical to next week's Nations Cup race (apart from lap count). Run n-0.25 laps in procession without getting bumped out in the corners and then use nitro in the last corner, pretty arcadey but somehow very enjoyable and also relaxing :D
Was just having a look at the next Nations Cup round @ SSRX. It looks like everyone is so far is going for either the Merc or the Huayra....at least for practice. Not sure if either of these cars will be the go to for the actual race or not. I remember a while back in one of the Daily races everyone was doing their best solo timed laps with something but were all using something else in the actual race.
Huarya is the fastest without slipstream yet the grid position couldn't matter less thean on Special Stage Route X. I used either the Lamborghini or Bugatti because both are 4WD and rather heavy so very stable in the corners. The Mercedes was also usually in the top positions.
Anyway what I was curious about was that it in the race details is says "BoP/Tuning Prohibited - Off" and "Car Settings - Allowed", however when I pick a car and go into a free practice session there is no way to go in and play around with any car settings? Is this something that is going to be locked but only becomes available during the actual race so that people can't test setups beforehand???
Settings are completely locked to level the performance. Some cars have better acceleration - which doesn't matter - but top speed is the same. If it's the same as the Daily Race A, you'll have nitro available which lasts from the gantry before the last corner right to the finish line. I usually started using it at the transition from asphalt to concrete.
The other annoying thing is that this is a 3-lap race in GT1. So basically spend 2 full laps doing a 250mph+ funeral procession trying to make sure you don't get bumped out of the draft or accidentally pit maneuvered on the banking......and then actually try to race for the last 1/4 or so of the 3rd lap. At least damage is turned off 😂 Fun fun fun
Yep. Also since it's a complete gamble and rather short time-wise even in GT1, will you dare to re-enter after a e.g. P5 finish? There'll be no correlation between driver ranking and performance on this track in GT1 and GT2.
In case they're using the exact same car settings as they did recently in Daily A, I think the best option for the Nations race should be the white Mazda RX-7. It is engine swapped with the 787B, meaning when it reaches top speed it hits the sweet spot on the power band so it doesn't drop behind when off the draft. It's very stable on the high banks as well.
Interesting thought, I haven't tried the RX-7 don't remember any opponent using it and achieving a good result. Anyway if you get behind the draft in the race, you'll be doomed. With draft you'll max out at ~440km/h, without only ~415 km/h if I recall correctly. I'll check one of my replays.

I guess there isn't any way to set up a lobby for this Nations Cup round with the special tunes?

Since I am lazy I am relying on one of you (or a streamer) to figure out the best strat for GT1. THanks in advance. :D
Tyre and fuel multipliers are identical to Dragon Trail Seaside Reverse and the distances are also pretty similar (163.2km GV vs 177.1km DT). Also same required Racing Hard tyre.

Therefore I assume strategies will also be comparable: stay as long as possible on RS tyres and only few laps on RH. In GT1 I have good experience with a three-stopper and aim to do it again -> 2 laps RH + 3x10 laps RS

Run n-0.25 laps in procession without getting bumped out in the corners and then use nitro in the last corner
Sounds horrendously dull but it could help cure my insomnia. Hopefully the unannounced final round of Nations is at least slightly interesting or my season is over already.

Yeah track and tyre temperatures are all simulated in the game (which is a good thing) and it has the effects it would do in real life. Unfortunately it's just not communicated in game anywhere, so you're left guessing as to what is causing difference performances unless you use a program that pulls the actual telemetry.
I mean you can get some added telemetry but you need to buy additional software and have like an iPad or something to run it on. I think this is dumb....if the info is in there it should be displayed in the game's HUD.

Honestly, if they put the proper effort into it, I quite like the theoretical process of "here's a set of tuned cars we're trying to balance, we'll give you a daily race in them first so you can get used to them and we can check the BoP, then we'll race them properly at a GTWS round". Nations R1 could have used that process so they could see how broken the F40 was!

It'd also make dailies more appealing for those getting bored of the Gr.3/4 cycle.

It's just a) the race is at SSRX, so it doesn't really matter what set of cars it is, and b) other than nerfing the RX-7 I don't think they've adjusted anything since the second race there.

2023/4 GTWS Exhibition Season 1 – Manufacturers’ Cup R3 – Nurburgring 24h

GT2 League - Mid-B / S Lobby – 112pts to winner
Well, the stars finally aligned so that I was able to do a round of Manufacturers’ this series – normally I can only race every other Saturday, which lines up with the Nations’ Cup schedule. Since my comfort zone is normally Gr.3/Gr.4 cars, I’ve missed doing this series so was happy to get a go at it – even if it was on The Green Hell.

I was even planning to get a load of practice in, which had extra relevance as, this being the only round of this series I can do, I can optimise my manufacturer choice for just this round, so I planned to spend ages in the lobby with a wide variety of Gr.3 motors before making my choice as close to race day as possible. However, I copped a nasty virus early in the week which put paid to any extended testing, in the end I entered 2 or 3 lobby races and tried AMG, BMW and Nissan cars out and that was it. I simply didn’t have the concentration needed for anything else, so I didn’t touch my PS after Thursday afternoon and spent all Friday in a fever-induced stupor.

(As an aside, last time I was this ill I had a fever dream where I competed in the full 1987 BTCC in a privateer E30 M3. I almost won the title too, but I got shoved off at Luffield at Silverstone in the final race by a Sierra battling through the field. Then I woke up. I was gutted.)

So to Saturday. I felt well enough to race – just – so got up early to drop Mrs_Bald at work (I’d need the car later in the day) and check the track condition reports coming through from the A-O region. Wet all race for GT2 – starts to dry out in the third and final lap, but not enough for anything other than wet tyres to be an option. Deal – 4WD Nissan it’ll be then.

Arrived back home at 0900 exactly – too late to start up the PS and enter the 1st slot. Go back to bed.

Wake up at 0930 and switch PS on – select GT7 – What do you mean, “updating”? I’d missed the new update on Friday as I’d been too ill to switch the PS on. Nearly made the start, but having to sign for Nissan pushed me past 1000hrs. Go back to bed.

Wake up at 1045 and enter the 3rd slot. Excellent. 12 minute qualifying session. If we budget a generous 9 minutes to get round that means that we can spend 3 minutes in the pits before heading out – so why does everyone bar 3 people head to the pit exit as soon as the session opens? You’re not going to get 2 flying laps in unless you’ve managed to invent time travel so get yourself some space – on a twisty narrow long circuit this is, surely, absolutely essential. I wait for the other 2 to go off and start my lap when they are leaving the GP circuit. I’d not long ago done the Circuit Experience here and it has really helped me, especially in the section between the 2 Karussels, and the GTR felt good on the dry track, although I knew I was unlikely to be at the sharp end as I was giving away a fair bit in top end speed. A reasonable flying lap of 8:15 gave me 5th on the grid, and beat my door ranking of #6 – nice to not have too many cars in front of me, but going to be treacherous into T1, especially as there may be a few folks who haven’t yet heard that the race is wet, and won’t be looking at the background in the time between qualifying and the race (which shows rain falling), and so will start on slicks. We would see.

The race starts, and as soon as we are handed control of the cars on the rolling start P3 exits stage left on slicks – I don’t mean they quit, their car just shot straight off track with no grip whatsoever. OK, get past them, take it easy braking into T1, stay wide and turn in late because there’s guaranteed to be 1 or 2 cars sliding through completely out of control on slicks. There were, but perhaps I was a little too cautious as I exit the first chicane P7. Still, better there than last and in the gravel.

Then, something amazing happened. Something that I don’t think has happened to me in GTWS before.

I was able to catch and pass cars. Not just 1 or 2, not just when they made an error, I mean actual passes and in quantity. This never happens to me, I generally hang on to the back of a group for dear life then pick off places when others slip up, or hold on with a harder tyre and gain places as others make pit stops (that’s how I got from Q10 to P2 at Interlagos in the summer series). But here, no problem. Get a couple before the end of the GP-circuit, another into Sabine-Schmitz-Kurve, another on the exit of Hocheichen, another out of Adenauer-Forst and I’m P2. Catch the leader (in an RCZ) on the exit of Ex-Mühle and outdrag them nicely so that I’m able to take the line into Bergwerk and drive away.

From there for the rest of L1 and most of L2 I gradually pull away. By the Kleiner Karrusel on L2 I have 8 seconds lead. P2 is now held by a driver in a 911, and predictably they pull back some time on the straight. But the track is now starting to dry a little – there’s no blue on the wetness gauge any more - and this driver is good. They keep chipping away at my lead through the GP-circuit and onto the Nordschleife. Keen to keep ahead I use every inch of track knowledge through the twisties to maximise my exit speed for each corner, but into the Karussel for the last time the deficit is 2.5 seconds. I apply too much throttle too soon and get sideways coming out of the 180deg corner. I don’t even fully go off, but that error is enough to see the Porsche through and gone. I’m amazed to see I’m still 12.5 seconds clear of P3 so settle down and complete the race in P2, 6 seconds off the winner. They thoroughly deserved the victory – even without my mistake they’d have got past me, probably down the straight for the last time, and the 106 points (new GTWS high score for me) and fact that I thoroughly beat my door ranking will do nicely, especially as this is the only round of Manufacturers’ I can do (which is more than a bit disappointing).

With the adrenaline of the race gone I suddenly feel rubbish again. It’s a good job that there aren’t interviews for the top 3:

INTERVIEWER: “So, Norbs, you led for a long while but eventually had to settle for second. Are you happy with that?”

ME: “(cough) Yes, Can’t complain, (sneeze, sniff) they were just too quick (coughing fit) on the last lap. Car ran great, not a cough or splutter all day (cough, splutter). I’d like to thank my sponsors, Beecham’s powder, Lemsip, Benylin and Anadin (blows nose) Oh, and Andrex. And I’m going back to bed.”

And that’s exactly what I did. And that’s partly the reason why this write-up is a week late.

I’d also like to add my voice to those earlier in the thread calling for a GTWS Endurance series where we could race a bit closer to the GT1 length and changing weather would have been an option. That sounds like a cracking idea.

So to Nations’ Rd3, where the whole world of Gr.1 is open for us at La Sarthe. Will a Group C car win out, or will the more modern generations of Le Mans cars show their forerunners the way, or perhaps the winner will come from the VGT fantasy world?

We’ll find out next week. Or tomorrow if you’re reading this at the time of writing.

(PS: Whatever it was that I caught, it wasn’t that virus – I did loads of tests and they were all more negative than the camber on a scened Beetle. It didn’t half knock me about though).

2023/4 GTWS Exhibition Season 1 – Nations’ Cup R3 – Le Mans Circuit de la Sarthe

GT2 League - Mid-B / S Lobby – 114pts to winner
Back to the Nations’ Cup then, and after the last round in the X2019 I was apprehensive of another round in ultra-powerful cars, at least this time they’d be in their natural habitat, and I should be able to rustle up some Gr.1 cars in my garage for some proper Custom Race and Lobby practice runs. Having finally re-entered the world of the living after the illness which turned my Manufacturers’ round 3 experience into half-motor race, half-fever dream I was able to take a Group C car, a Hybrid and a VGT round and make the following conclusions:
  • Fuel / tyre strategy. There isn’t one. Even though the only dry tyres allowed are RS, they last the GT2 race distance easily in any of the cars, especially my Hyundai VGT which doesn’t seem to be aware of the concept of tyre wear at all. Fuel is also not a problem for the 8 laps I’ll be doing.
  • Car choice is, however, massive. Group C cars will fly down the straights, reaching 220+mph on the Hunaudieres just before the first chicane. LMPs and Hybrids struggle to reach 200mph unless you drop all the downforce, but are epic round the corners and on acceleration. VGTs seem somewhere between the two, and could be an all-round safe choice, especially if it’s wet where they excel.
  • The weather. If it’s wet then the Hyundai VGT is all you need. (This was later proven when I entered a lobby in torrential rain – a lobby that included A+ drivers in Group C cars – and took fastest lap by thirteen seconds). If it’s a mixture, then you will have to look at how long each weather condition will last and make your car choice based on how comfortable you feel struggling with a Group C in the wet or a VGT in the dry.
  • Given the significant differences in the feel of the cars, the lap times at first were surprisingly similar. As I got used to the cars and track, however, in the dry the Group Cs won out. I did most of my Group C practice in a Mazda, with occasional stints in a Porsche or a Jag. I didn’t own the Nissan so could only try it in Free Practise mode, but it did vie with the Mazda for quickest time (3:21).
Lobby races were excellent, with good driving and sportsmanship in almost every case. The one exception was a guy in a Sauber who seemed to have gone for a high-downforce setup given how I could pass him down the straights in an untuned Mazda but he’d then absolutely send it through the corners (I swear he was taking the Ford Chicanes in 4th!) and if I was in the way then that’s my bad luck isn’t it. After being punted out of the way 4 times in an 8-lap practice race I took note of the name, and even though we were both B/S I felt confident we’d avoid each other come race day – hopefully.
So, come Friday evening, my mind was set. I noted that every round I’ve done this season has some kind of curveball that means it isn’t just “here’s a car, go fast”. In Nations’ Round 1 it was the super strong slipstream and odd tunes of the cars. In Nations’ R2 it was the need to use 3 compounds of tyres. In Manufacturers’ Round 3 it was the weather. I knew that there were a lot of tuning options allowed here, although I’d preferred to spend my time perfecting my lines rather than tuning, wagering that a good line would make more difference than a better setup. I did, however, take note of the work that others were doing – and publishing – on here. More than anything, however, my choice of car would be based on the weather – so, just as last week in the Eifel Mountains, I would be back on here early Saturday to get the track condition news filtering through from the A-O region. I was 70% sure there would be rain, and if there was I was sure it would either start dry then rain on lap 4 or thereabouts, or start wet but stop raining around lap 3, with a dry line then slowly starting to appear.

Saturday Morning, and a now familiar routine:
  • Get up
  • Walk dogs
  • Make breakfast for everyone (inc dogs)
  • Shovel cornflakes while logging on here to find out conditions
…. Aaand it’s dry. Just dry. No wet track at all. So, tuning must be considered the “curveball” that could make the difference. Didn’t I see a video posted on this thread about that? (searches) ah yes, here it is. Right I’ll give those a try when I get home at 9, I’ll sack off the chance of the 1st slot and have an hours testing of that Nissan with @Mistah_MCA tunes instead.
That hour was invaluable. First conclusion is that I am the tuning equivalent of the 3 bears.

• High downforce: Too slow
  • Low downforce: Too fast! (down the straights anyway, most of the corner time was spent finding new and interesting gravel traps)
  • Medium downforce: Just right…

…and it was with that setup that I reduced my best time to a high 3:19 but, more importantly I took over 2 seconds off a “typical” lap time. Sold – I’ll take it, wrap it up.

To the race lobby we go. Didn’t bother with free practice – grab the loan car, apply the setup, spend the last couple of minutes checking and re-checking the setup to make sure it is exactly as per the video and that it has saved properly. I felt like a student who has finished their exam paper early and can only go through checking and re-checking their answers.

Finally qualifying opened – and I might as well copy & paste my qualifying rant from the Nurburgring here, with some figures and names changed to reflect the different track, but everything else is the same…

6 minute qualifying session. If we budget a generous 4 minutes to get round that means that we can spend 2 minutes in the pits before heading out – so why does everyone bar 3 people head to the pit exit as soon as the session opens? You’re not going to get 2 flying laps in unless you’ve managed to invent time travel so get yourself some space – on a speed-dependant narrow long circuit this is, surely, absolutely essential. I wait for the other 2 to go off and start my lap when they are leaving the 1st chicane on the Hunaudieres straight.

Quite frankly if someone can enlighten me to the desire to rush for the pit exit like it’s the first day of the January Sales when you’re never going to be able to squeeze an extra lap in by doing so – surely even the most extra-terrestrial of aliens can’t do an out lap and a flying lap round here in 6 minutes – then I’ll nominate you for a Nobel Prize or something. In fact I’m so much later out of the traps than the rest that lap times start coming through when I am between the 2 Hunaudieres chicanes. 3:24, 3:25, 3:22…. I expected them to be quicker than that, this is potentially good news… One driver did a 3:19, another a quick 3:20 and then me with a low 3:21. All in loaner Nissans, then a Mazda behind me and aaaargh… It’s my “friend” from the lobbies in his Sauber in 5th on the grid. Damn. Well, benefit of the doubt and all that – perhaps he was just testing his setup and needed to maximise corner speed to get some data, and wouldn’t be like that in the race.

The race starts, and I’m suddenly reminded of something I found out in the lobbies – the Mazda is quicker from the start than the Nissan. P4 outdrags me past the pits – OK, leave them the space on the sweeper, brake just nicely for the 1st chicane, wait for the bang from behind by the Sauber – it doesn’t happen, good man – and tag on to the back of the 787B through the Esses, knowing that, now I can do 230mph down the straights I should be able to get the place back. The Mazda driver knows it too, and has seemingly decided to take Tertre Rouge flat out and nuts to the track limits, they’ll try and gain enough that they can ride out the track limits penalty and still hold on to the position. As a result of this I am still behind at the 1st chicane, but outdrag them to the next chicane, they don’t make it easy – totally valid, this is a motor race – but I’m through and gain enough on the 3rd section of the back stretch that I can take my line through Mulsanne corner, sweep round and onto the next straight, although I’m still cursing the French Highways Agency for turning the original crossroads at Mulsanne into a roundabout (which is why we have that kink under braking for the Mulsanne corner as it is these days, the original approach was straight ahead with the corner being further over to the left).

On to Indianapolis and Arnage – I’m concentrating on my braking so as not to get sideways, which means I fail to notice on the radar that the Mazda has sent it through the Indianapoils approach and is now right on my tail approaching Arnage. I brake and feel a shove, not a punt just a shove, I think I braked earlier than they anticipated, still they’re through and I’m back in P4… until they serve their 1.5 second penalty from hammering Tertre Rouge earlier and I can have the top-3 back thanks very much. By this time P1 is 6 seconds up the road – what are you even doing in a B-lobby? - with P2 3 seconds ahead of me. I pull away from the field on lap 2 – in a sprint race like this the only “strat” is to try to get a gap from the field and run away like a Monty Python knight:
image001.jpg

Lap 3 and P2 is still out of reach but I get a rhythm going and chip away at the gap. As we approach Indianapolis I am just over a second behind, but they slightly miss their braking point into the banked curve and go wide. Only a couple of car widths off the apex but I’m now right on them into Arnage. Attack? No, go as normal, concentrate on a good exit speed – hopefully my presence will pressure them into going defensive and they’ll be slow out of the corner as a result. I love it when a plan comes together, and that’s exactly what happens – I draw alongside on the right going into the first of the Porsche curves, they have to slow as I’m where they want to be and I sweep through into P2. I’ve got 0.6 seconds as we leave the sweepers, but they stick with me – it’s still 0.6 seconds as we leave Tertre Rouge on the next lap. I can’t see them on the radar as I approach my braking point so slow as normal, but as I hit the second apex on the chicane I see the picture of their car appear on the right of my screen, and as I exit the chicane the gap behind is now 3.6 seconds to the Mazda from earlier and the other Nissan is now p6. Looking at the replay I now see that they missed their braking point, at which time they had 3 choices – hope to send it through a gap that may not be there, take me out or go up the escape road. To their eternal credit they took the last of these options – their extra speed up the escape road as I took the chicane meant they overtook me then I took the place back, which is how I saw the pic of their car on my screen.

The rest of the race was quite quiet by comparison – I stayed p2, the gap to the leader went up to 10 seconds at one point but finished at 8 – they probably decided to manage the gap and not take risks in the last few laps – and the gap behind to the Mazda shrink for a while then suddenly expanded after Arnage – I think they copped another penalty – and ended at 8 seconds also. The Nissan that I had a battle with and then went off worked their way back up to P4 I think.

This was an all-Group C affair apart from one Porsche hybrid and a Peugeot diesel. Nissans dominated the entry list, with Mazdas the next most popular and single entries for Sauber and Jaguar. I was glad it was dry in a way, even though I think my Hyundai would have cleaned up in a fully wet race – I love driving the old-school Group C cars. In his book “Working The Wheel”, Martin Brundle describes driving a Group C car up the Hunaudieres straight as “a lazy old friend carrying you along on a wave of torque” and certainly the Jag and Nissan felt that way – the rotary Mazda is a little too frenetic for that – even their 5-speed ‘boxes with slow changes are much more satisfying than the BAMBAMBAM….BAM………..BAM of going up through the gears in a Hybrid. I even achieved my goal of doing 8 laps without a single penalty (10 if we include qualifying) – earlier in the week I’d been seeing more red than a teachers’ pen factory – and got the CRB for my lack-of trouble. And I equalled my door ranking of #2 (the winner was #13!), so that was satisfying too. 108 points in the bag – another GTWS PB.

So on to the next round. I can’t do Manufacturers’ R4 as I have to go to a family celebration (what are these people doing, having significant life events when there is a GTWS on? Can’t they set priorities or something?) so let’s look at Nations’ R4. So far we’ve had a slipstreamers’ special on a track with long straights, a race for super-quick cars and a race for more super-quick cars at a slipstreamers’ track with long straights, so I’m sure they’ll mix it up for R4. Let me just look at the events list:
image002.jpg

Really? In all seriousness, it’s as valid a motor race as anything else we’ve had so no complaints, but now that I’ve got 3 half-decent scores I’ll be less inclined to go into a race which could end well or end with a Talladega-with-restrictor-plates-style Big One and suffer a DR and SR hit into the bargain. I do, sadly, know of what I speak – I entered the similar race twice when it was Daily Race A a couple of weeks ago – First race I went from last on the grid to win, second race I was in the barrier before we’d even got to the crest on the first straight. In addition I believe it’ll be like Nations’ R1 in that the cars for selection aren’t like their garage equivalents so it’ll be hard to get any lobby or Custom Race practice. Never say never, but I can see myself sitting the next one out. Watch this space (the one between my ears).

Thanks must go to @Mistah_MCA for the very helpful tune video and to all the clean drivers in my race, and of course to anyone that’s read this far!

Last edited:
As much as I think the SSRX race is lame as can be, I'll probably try and do one. Could be some good points depending on the chaos for a race that only lasts 13 mins.

I remember that race too. One of my favorites ever, but I think having to lift in T1 was just due to the RB Jr. naturally having no rear end grip rather than tire wear (because the tires didn't really wear anyway).
I just checked my notes from 4 years ago - 19 laps, fuel 10x, tyre 4x, RS tyres.

The tyres definitely wear enough to be a problem near the end. Especially because the RB Jr is quite tail happy and rear heavy as you said. In fact one of the reasons why I managed to almost get the win is because everyone else is doing out-in-out line in T1 (which wears the tyres faster), and I discovered in practice that the out-out-out line wears the rears less and doesn't lose that much time (and you can gain back with slipstream anyway). Everyone had to lift more in T1 and I can still maintain the same speed. But yeah I forgot to account for slipstream increasing average speed and fuel consumption, so that's why I ran out half lap from the end.

Anyway, it is what it is. Let's get back on this week's races :)
Yeah, the qualy car will be different to the in-race META. It will boil down to what's quicker in slipstream and what's more stable. The AMG might struggle to keep up with slip, the Huayra is VERY vulnerable to contact.

BTW, practice is weird. The wind changes during the session and even when it's stable, the cars inexplicably alter their performance. How the same car, with the same entry speed and the same wind can be two tenths quicker than its own ghost between turns has me stumped.

Tyre temp maybe?
Air temperature affects engine power and air density (drag).

Cold = more power but also more drag (denser air). Hot vice versa.

Back in GT6 when we have air temp displayed I did a few top speed tests at SSRX. You can get 2-3 km/h difference in top speed between night time and noon. Around 15:30 when the air temp is hottest, you get the fastest top speeds. So it seems the drag effect is bigger in GT than the engine power effect (or engine power loss is not simulated at all).

I believe this is also the reason why @Tidgney found small differences between sessions in daily race practice even tho wind direction is the same. If @Nenkai or someone else has access to air temp telemetry maybe we can finally put this theory to rest.

I wouldn't worry too much honestly, the effect is minimal and everyone will have the same conditions in the race anyway.

Last edited:
After learning the track a little better and improving my pace for this week's Manu at GV -- GT2 league with Gr.4 Peugeot RCZ -- I'm finding that the optimal strategy for me has shifted from 12S-2H (moderate fuel saving) to 10S-4H (minimal fuel saving), with overall race times of 28:13.895 and 27:57.002, respectively. The 11S-3H strategy (light fuel saving) is a close second with a time of 27:58.736.

Come race time, I'm thinking I'll let my qualifying position determine which strategy I go with.
  • Near the front: Go with softs first (10S-4H) to try to build up a lead with the front-runners and hope that the pack loses too much time tangled in battles to mount an attack when I switch to hards at the end. The minimal fuel saving might also let me stay out on softs for a lap longer than other cars that are going full out, and gain me a position or two.
  • Further back: Start on hards -- maybe with the 3H-11S strategy -- to maximize my time in clean air on softs, trying to make some gains while I've got the track to myself.
I've been doing all my testing so far with the default suspension settings. I've just gotten started tinkering with them. FWIW, so far I have only found that I can make myself slower by softening front compression.

You'd rather them crush your dreams on the first lap?
Real talk! Maybe if he started in the back I am the only GT1 driver in my racing group… My friends and family are GT3 drivers.. they normally don’t compete online but I got them to try the ManuCup and they love it! My brother is running 1:55.1 to 1.55.9 he is doing 10 laps with Softs and finishing with hards. (4laps)

Tyre and fuel multipliers are identical to Dragon Trail Seaside Reverse and the distances are also pretty similar (163.2km GV vs 177.1km DT). Also same required Racing Hard tyre.

Therefore I assume strategies will also be comparable: stay as long as possible on RS tyres and only few laps on RH. In GT1 I have good experience with a three-stopper and aim to do it again -> 2 laps RH + 3x10 laps RS
For GT1 a two-stop strategy may probably be a better option. The two stints on RS tyres could be 13 or 14 laps depending on tyre wear and the remaining 4-6 laps on RH tyres which are 2s/lap slower. All depending on actual temperature on race day and of course traffic.

For GT1 a two-stop strategy may probably be a better option. The two stints on RS tyres could be 13 or 14 laps depending on tyre wear and the remaining 4-6 laps on RH tyres which are 2s/lap slower. All depending on actual temperature on race day and of course traffic.
I can barely get my softs to last 10 laps 😭😭😭

I picked McLaren so I am really hoping to do a RS: 10/11/10 and RH: 1. The middle stint will be 11 because pretty sure the fuel will last the 21 laps, so the car will be lighter for the middle RS stint. If stuck in a bunch of traffic the RH lap can be put between either of the RS stints in hopes to get in some clean air. THat may not work if you're in the Supra or some other car that eats tires. It'll need to be decided on the fly which keeps things interesting.

I also have an "advantage" of being in the States, so I can watch an EU streamer (Digit likely) and see what strat works for them.

I just checked my notes from 4 years ago - 19 laps, fuel 10x, tyre 4x, RS tyres.

The tyres definitely wear enough to be a problem near the end. Especially because the RB Jr is quite tail happy and rear heavy as you said. In fact one of the reasons why I managed to almost get the win is because everyone else is doing out-in-out line in T1 (which wears the tyres faster), and I discovered in practice that the out-out-out line wears the rears less and doesn't lose that much time (and you can gain back with slipstream anyway). Everyone had to lift more in T1 and I can still maintain the same speed. But yeah I forgot to account for slipstream increasing average speed and fuel consumption, so that's why I ran out half lap from the end.

Anyway, it is what it is. Let's get back on this week's races :)

Air temperature affects engine power and air density (drag).

Cold = more power but also more drag (denser air). Hot vice versa.

Back in GT6 when we have air temp displayed I did a few top speed tests at SSRX. You can get 2-3 km/h difference in top speed between night time and noon. Around 15:30 when the air temp is hottest, you get the fastest top speeds. So it seems the drag effect is bigger in GT than the engine power effect (or engine power loss is not simulated at all).

I believe this is also the reason why @Tidgney found small differences between sessions in daily race practice even tho wind direction is the same. If @Nenkai or someone else has access to air temp telemetry maybe we can finally put this theory to rest.

I wouldn't worry too much honestly, the effect is minimal and everyone will have the same conditions in the race anyway.
This might be it. I am ashamed to say I have done plenty of FP test laps because a) I can't run Manu this week and b) work is crappy so the more mindless my GT time, the better.

What I am finding is that most cars are very consistent, lap after lap. The weather pattern is that lap 1 starts with 4.3m/s wind and changes to 4.4 as you approach turn 1. It stays at 4.4 until you approach turn 1 on lap 2 and then moves to 4.5m/s. This is where it stays until at least lap 5. Tyre temps start at 70 and then progressively drop over the entire session. By the time you've done 4 laps in an FR car, the fronts are below 30.

The car that sees the biggest fluctuation in performance within a session is the AMG. It is also the car that has the highest top speed in FP. This might make it more susceptible to aero effects? The inconsistency is quite large though. Up to 3 tenths per lap with no obvious cause. It also seems to occur suddenly, rather than being the accumulation of a small difference across an entire lap. For example, I will occasionally be within one or two thousandths of my ghost at the top of the hill, and by the time I reach the start of turn 1 I'm a full two tenths in front or behind. Wind conditions are the same and tyre temps are very close.

I'm not at all worried about it from a race perspective. This combo is not going to be decided by a few tenths of performance. It's just a very odd little mystery.

I picked McLaren so I am really hoping to do a RS: 10/11/10 and RH: 1. The middle stint will be 11 because pretty sure the fuel will last the 21 laps, so the car will be lighter for the middle RS stint. If stuck in a bunch of traffic the RH lap can be put between either of the RS stints in hopes to get in some clean air. THat may not work if you're in the Supra or some other car that eats tires. It'll need to be decided on the fly which keeps things interesting.

I also have an "advantage" of being in the States, so I can watch an EU streamer (Digit likely) and see what strat works for them.

Yep this is the exact strategy I've decided to go with. I'm in the AMG and have tested 11S / 11S / 10H, 15M / 16M / 1H and 1H / 10S / 11S / 10S and that latter is faster by a few seconds.
Plus my thinking is that with heavy damage on, if a mistake is made then and you get damage, the you only have to run for a short time before pitting and repair as opposed to long 15/16 lap stints where the effects of damage are felt for longer.
will prob run the Hards to start with to hopefully get out of traffic but no doubt there will be a few with this idea and we will still be bunched up 😂

Do people timing different strategies really think you can get an accurate idea of the differencies? I'd have thought unless you're an expert test driver who can bang in ultra-consistent lap times, then over a race distance there's so many other factors coming into play the subtle differences of one lap longer or shorter are going to get dwarfed by them.

For me it seems easier to go by gut instinct, from a practice run I can do around 11 laps with reasonable short shifting that loses little time. So I'm aiming for 11, but will watch the mileage and adjust accordingly. if I don't need too much more saving to get to 12, then I'll do that, if I find in the race I'm too far off my 11 lap target then I'll adjust accordingly. If I'm held up in traffic I'll do my best to save fuel while I'm in that situation and maybe squeeze out an extra lap.

Do people timing different strategies really think you can get an accurate idea of the differencies?

Well yes... Yes these tests are done under ideal circumstances but that's what you want. You are trying to learn how long a set of tyres is going to last or how far you can go on a tank of fuel and thendetermine what strategy is the quickest based on purely pace, tyre selection and pit times. Obviously the come race day you need to take into consideration traffic, mistakes, other drivers etc and react accordingly but as the saying goes "Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance".

Do people timing different strategies really think you can get an accurate idea of the differencies?

I've found that the total race times are surprisingly consistent when I'm careful about controlling race conditions. For example, I did two S10-H4 tests for this week's Manu a day apart and the difference in time was 0.310s (27:57.312 versus 27:57.002). The inconsistencies tend to smooth out over the full course of the race. I may not be perfectly consistent from lap-to-lap, but over the course of a race I'm consistently inconsistent, if that makes sense.

If I remember my college statistics courses correctly, there is a mathematical explanation for this effect -- something to do with the sum of probability distributions having a normal distribution. There's no doubt some formula that could quantify the amount of variability you can expect from any test -- the way opinion polls report a confidence interval -- but I've never felt any need to go that far.

Anyways, even if the data isn't perfectly accurate, I find that it gives me enough information to at least eliminate some strategies as nonviable so I can focus on ones that look promising, and gives me a better feel for the trade-offs between the viable ones.

FWIW, the way I do my tests is with a custom race starting from P1 with one other car (since you aren't allowed to do a 1-car race).

I'm basically just waiting for someone to tell me which car to use on SSRX next weekend and am going to "do my best"(tm). Feels totally random as to where I'll finish. Its actually making me look forward to GVH this weekend and while I love GVH for a sunset cruise or pretending I'm playing outrun, I hate it for racing.

I've spent a lot more time tuning my suspension this week for tomorrow's GV race (GT2 - Peugeot) than I had expected. After more than 100 laps of testing, I think I finally have the car dialed in for race day.

For the RCZ, that meant tightening up most of the dampers -- the one exception being the front expansion ones, which I slightly softened. The most noticeable difference in how the car handles is in the high-speed section between the two hairpins. I'm now able to get through that section without lifting much more consistently than I was with the default settings. As a result, I brought my optimal time down to 1:54.823 and in the process posted a new fastest lap in FP (1:55.020).

Feeling pretty well-prepared for the race now. Will probably spend this evening and tomorrow morning doing practice races against the AI to get some more practice driving in traffic.

My guess is that track limit penalties are going to play a big role in how the race plays out, so I'm going to do my best to keep the car on the track and avoid any side-by-side driving in the twisty bits -- even if that means giving up positions to the bozos who try. With any luck I'll get by them at the penalty marker after they have inevitably cut a corner somewhere.

As always, best of luck in your race(s) tomorrow. Looking forward to reading all the race reports.

What’s the first UK race for Manus please? Is it 9am?

I have a bit of awkward day tomorrow where I’m out basically from 10.30 to about 4pm so will end up missing most of the races. The last few weeks I’ve done the 5pm race and the quality of racing has been poor. Feels like people are getting desperate for points and a result.

Done very little testing too for this. Just done about 20 laps in TT.

What’s the first UK race for Manus please? Is it 9am?

I have a bit of awkward day tomorrow where I’m out basically from 10.30 to about 4pm so will end up missing most of the races. The last few weeks I’ve done the 5pm race and the quality of racing has been poor. Feels like people are getting desperate for points and a result.

Done very little testing too for this. Just done about 20 laps in TT.
GT2 slots in BST are 9am to 7pm, with a slot every hour except for 2pm.

That went better and was a lot more enjoyable than expected.

I found during testing that I couldn’t get much performance short-shifting the NSX and also it is quite thirsty flat out. Could only manage 8 laps before needing a refuel, so knew I’d have to do nearly half the race on hards.

Euro GT3 (all B/S), slot 2. Quali messed up by a track limits penalty on the outlap and then a twit in a Ferrari who refused to give themselves any space. They followed me out of the pits and were on my bumper the whole session; I think they thought there was a slipstream. Rear-ended me at a hairpin so I just retired to the pits, ended up P13.

Started on hards. The usual carnage on the first couple of laps. Picked up a penalty avoiding a spinner but made a couple of moves and found myself in some nice space. A few consistent laps had me inside the top 10 for my first stint.

Pitted on lap 6 to get the softs and fuel up. Dropped to P13 and made my way back through the field. The top 3 were on softs and went to lap 9, everyone else was a mix of strategies. Picked up a few free places as people wrecked at the downhill hairpin. Passed some other hard runners, one free spot from someone who didn’t run the hards, and finished up P5 - only 10 seconds off the podium.

55 points is my top score for the season, for a race I was considering not entering as I generally lack pace here. Should keep me all gold in the GT3 rankings and 2nd in the Honda list.

IMG_3925.jpeg

IMG_3926.jpeg

Last edited:
GT2 B , i didn't had the luck this time around , went only once because Alan Wake 2 :D

Qualification P7 - 1.56.6 not bad only if others werent blocking the way again ...
Race - started okay but soon i realiized that Gr.4 Lexus drinks much fuel so i had to use FM2-3 to save some fuel but that costed me alot of places , went for Softs after 4 lap managed into top 10 , in the end with a empty fuel tank in P8 - meh could have done better but i dont like the Gr.4 car lol

Last edited:
Back