Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Thread

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 11,941 comments
":`(" - GTP

That aside, will the Lopez strat still be the best for DT? If we're going to see a more even split of soft and medium starters, we'll just have two groups wearing their own tyres out fighting and none of the mostly-clean running he got from his M stint. I'm also thinking if someone will go for a soft-hard 1-stopper, or is the pitlane too short for that?

Round 4 has no mandatory compounds listed but could be in a similar situation as Round 1 with any 2 being mandatory, however you will have to wait for Round 4 in game and check the settings on there
Where do you see that 2-compound requirement for Round 1? I don't see it in the game or the website. I just checked now. Am I just missing it?

Mostly formula cars and a daily race repeat that everyone and their mother tried to stay away from, + heavy damage = 2 words (no thanks) :scared:
I've been begging for a mostly open-wheel championship for what feels like forever, so I'm excited, with the exception of Rd.2 because PD seem to have an internal competition over which employee can come up with the stupidest possible combo for the RA272... I'll still race it anyway because I like the car, but the race is beyond stupid...

Where do you see that 2-compound requirement for Round 1? I don't see it in the game or the website. I just checked now. Am I just missing it?
Required tyre type change says 'on' rather than stating the compounds required. I believe it was a rule for the equivalent World Series race at the weekend also

1000020230.jpg

I see a couple of people have given my previous post 😥 reacts. In case there was any misunderstanding, I'm intending to do the season, I'm just expecting there to be fireworks and would recommend staying out of my way whilst I still adjust to the physics changes. ;)

As for round 1, I'm really hoping this is going to be a strong round for me because this combo just seems to have clicked...

Screenshot 2024-08-13 205356.png

Required tyre type change says 'on' rather than stating the compounds required. I believe it was a rule for the equivalent World Series race at the weekend also

View attachment 1380779
I am very, very glad you pointed that out. I'd completely missed it and had been practicing doing an all-Mediums 1-stop... :lol:

At Eiger, we get 10 minutes of qualifying for a 7-lap race. Is that going to be more time than the race itself?

Isn't force feedback currently not great for formula-style cars on racing wheels? Seems a bit playing-with-fire for PD to make this pretty much a Formula Cup in that case.
It's felt fine to me on every car except the RA272. I've been doing private league races in the SF23 and to me it feels fine (but yes, a bit lighter compared to pre-1.49).
Interesting to note, the Gr3 race at Watkins shows light damage for GT1, and no tire wear for qualifying. That's gotta be a typo.

Why would they have heavy damage everywhere else (especially SF cars at Monza) but light damage for Gr3 at the Glen?
It's PD, so it's just as likely to be a deliberately ridiculous choice as it is to be an oversight.
not only that, but they did this exact thing with the exact car, ra272 at watkins in one of the last events. What is their problem with this car?! What did it do to deserve this???!!
There's an internal competition at PD to see which employee can make the dumbest possible combo for these cars. Next combo with the RA272 will be 3 laps at Miyabi on CH tires.

death-chicken-metal-3.jpg

I have a few free minutes, so I put on my favourite Death Chicken album and did some laps in Free Practice. I managed to put down a 1:16.7, but not without my fair share of trips into the wall. It's going to take some practice to get consistent enough to make it through the Chicane of Death 32 times without incident.

View attachment 1380789
I have a few free minutes, so I put on my favourite Death Chicken album and did some laps in Free Practice. I managed to put down a 1:16.7, but not without my fair share of trips into the wall. It's going to take some practice to get consistent enough to make it through the Chicane of Death 32 times without incident.
Aight, you can't just drop album art like this casually without a song to go with it.

View attachment 1380789

Okay... I had to hear whatever the hell death chicken sounded like and I'm convinced it doesn't exist

Aight, you can't just drop album art like this casually without a song to go with it.
Okay... I had to hear whatever the hell death chicken sounded like and I'm convinced it doesn't exist
Yeah, okay, you caught me. I was just having some fun with AI image generators.

And I would have gotten away with it if weren't for you meddling kids.

Yeah, I think I'll give this whole championship a miss. Please do better PD. We don't want a cut and paste of the world series. The combos aren't exactly engaging or creative. Good luck to anyone taking part in these potential wreckfest races.
they do lack creativity again. There could be so many fun races. F.E. how about a race for safetycars only? Can you imagine the liveries used!? You would likely have all sorts of emergency vehicles racing each other! There are so many other possibilities...

1723629156273.png
1723629314903.png
1723629336464.png

or an Impreza versus Lancer event, in memory of two great rally legends?

1723630958154.png

Last edited:
I had some time to run some tire life tests for Rd.1 on RM and RS tires earlier this morning. The idea was mainly just to see how long each would last and get a rough profile of how the tire wear affects lap times over the life of the tires.

For me, the RMs die on lap 22. RSs die on lap 11. And when they die, there is no driving the car. It just spins out at every corner.

I didn't see much of a drop off in performance over the life of the tires, though. Maybe this is just because I'm not pushing the car to the limits, lifting where better drivers would be taking it flat out.

I did the RS test with a shorter 12-lap race because I didn't have time for a full one. That was enough to run the tires to failure, but only gives a profile for the initial stint with a full tank of fuel. Comparing to the second stint of the 22RM-10RS, it seems fuel weight has a significant impact on lap times. The RSs were consistently faster at the end of the race than at the start.

Here are the numbers (from this spreadsheet):

StrategyOpt timeBest timeAvg timeAvg devTotal time
22RM-10RS1:16.7471:16.9311:21.5790:04.44143:30.519
11RS-1RS1:17.4761:17.7411:21.4110:04.70716:16.937

pubchart

Tread levels at pit:
StrategyFront leftFront rightRear leftRear right
22RM-10RS35%35%0%5%
11RS-1RS30%30%0%5%

You can see both races were littered with crashes and inconsistencies. Sorry for the messy data, but that's the best I've got right now.

The soundtrack for these tests were a couple more of my favourite (imaginary) Death Chicken albums: Hitting the Wall, and At Every Corner.

death-chicken-hitting-the-wall.jpgdeath-chicken-at-every-corner.jpg

Last edited:
Man, I am tempted to take part in round 1 here due to F1-style strategy (2 different compounds must be used). I am not really willing to reduce time spent on Daily Race C at Nordshleife, especially when I will need a lot of practice just to get familiar with the Red Bull car at a fictional track, which I have always avoided.

There is a lot of easy positions to be gained for three reasons:
1. Those who have watched the world series, might attempt Lopez's RS-RM/RM-RS only to find out that they could not make it to the end before the tires ran out.
2. Most people will not be aware that 2 different compounds are needed. I expect many RM-RM runners. Thanks PD for clear communication.
3. Then there are people who are just terrible with strategy.

The soundtrack for these tests were a couple more of my favourite (imaginary) Death Chicken albums: Hitting the Wall, and At Every Corner.

I prefer the OG Death Chicken stuff before they went mainstream! Singles like, "Why Won't You Turn!?!?", "Curbs of Plague", "Death, Taxes, and Understeer" and "Why Won't You Turn, (pt 2)?!?!"

1. Those who have watched the world series, might attempt Lopez's RS-RM/RM-RS only to find out that they could not make it to the end before the tires ran out.
2. Most people will not be aware that 2 different compounds are needed. I expect many RM-RM runners. Thanks PD for clear communication.
Absolutely! Also,
  1. Quitters - It's a long race with lots of opportunities to make mistakes. I expect a fair few in the first slots will bail after one or two big mistakes, with the hope of improving in the next round.
  2. Traction control deniers - I don't know why anybody would drive these cars without TC, but I expect some will try and wind up spinning themselves out.
  3. Chicane of Death - The death chicken is out to get everybody, but if you are skilled/lucky enough to escape its clutches, there's a good chance you can pick up positions from its victims.
I'm definitely going to try to run in the first available slot to take advantage of the unprepared.

I've still got a lot of practice to do to before I am consistent enough to fend off the death chicken for the entire race, but I'm feeling more hopeful today that I can get there than I was yesterday.

All the same, in GT1 I feel like any strategy has to factor in the possibility of taking damage. I'm not sure what that's going to look like for me -- maybe starting on RHs and progressively moving to softer compounds with each crash, or sandwiching an RM stint between two RS ones like Lopez did -- but it would be foolish not to plan for it.

Last edited:
I am not really willing to reduce time spent on Daily Race C at Nordshleife, especially when I will need a lot of practice just to get familiar with the Red Bull car at a fictional track
Im in the same boat.
This is a busy week for me, dont have much time to practice and I really dont want to miss the few chances that I will have this weekend to race at the Nords.

So I will be skipping R1 and R2 (R2 is an awful combo) and will be joining for the last 2 rounds.

Last edited:
Man, I am tempted to take part in round 1 here due to F1-style strategy (2 different compounds must be used). I am not really willing to reduce time spent on Daily Race C at Nordshleife, especially when I will need a lot of practice just to get familiar with the Red Bull car at a fictional track, which I have always avoided.

4. Wheel FFB for the X2019 been weirdly borked by the new physics. Saw a few people mentioning this after the update but didn't expect it to be too bad... but having done some practice laps, oh dear...

I don't mind the too-strong feedback in high speed corners but the empty feeling at low speed feels so wrong.

Will probably do the event though... it's the same for everyone (apart from pad users but the Chicken Chicane and esses are easy on a wheel 😉)

Does anyone know if the two compounds used have to be "adjacent", ie RS+RM or RM+RH, or would a - say - 24RH-8RS strat comply with the rules? This will be my first ever wheel race if I do it - I was planning to stick with the pad for this season but I've hurt my hand so can't grip a pad for 45 minutes - so I'd like to be on a strat that will at least guarantee some grip throughout the race!

(Actually, come to think of it, and sorry if it's been brought up before, where does it actually say we have to use 2 compounds? I've looked through the race details on the Web and in Sport Mode but can't see "tyre type change required" or anything like that!)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the two compounds used have to be "adjacent", ie RS+RM or RM+RH, or would a - say - 24RH-8RS strat comply with the rules? This will be my first ever wheel race if I do it - I was planning to stick with the pad for this season but I've hurt my hand so can't grip a pad for 45 minutes - so I'd like to be on a strat that will at least guarantee some grip throughout the race!

(Actually, come to think of it, and sorry if it's been brought up before, where does it actually say we have to use 2 compounds? I've looked through the race details on the Web and in Sport Mode but can't see "tyre type change required" or anything like that!)
I've never done a race where this option was specified so I'm not entirely sure, but the name of the setting, 'Required Tyre Type Change' suggests you only have to change the type of tire -- doesn't matter what they are as long as they are different.

It is visible in the in-game Race Details option if you click through to the event in Sports Mode. @Hasnain282 put a screenshot in his reply yesterday:

1000020230.jpg

I was running a few laps in Free Practice this morning and had to pit for repairs after the Death Chicken killed me. I noticed that the car showed up much sooner than it does in the Custom Races I'm doing for testing. It looks like we are going to have shorter pit times again, like we did for the Manu Cup race at Interlagos. The car pulls up to the pit in Free Practice after 3-4 seconds versus the 15 seconds in Custom Races.

I haven't precisely measured the difference yet, but if you are doing any kind of strategy testing, this is something you might want to take into account.

I've been pressed for time lately, but I have at least been able to get a couple strategy tests done. The two that I tested were 11RH-21RM and 14RM-9RS-9RS.

Here are the numbers:
StrategyOpt timeBest timeAvg timeAvg DevTotal time
11RH-21RM1:17.3941:17.4871:19.5860:01.42942:26.762
14RM-9RS-9RS (2)1:16.4961:16.8181:19.1380:01.98542:12.411

pubchart

Tire tread levels at first pit:
11RH-21RM70%75%60%60%
14RM-9RS-9RS (2)60%60%40%40%

Tire tread levels at second pit:
14RM-9RS-9RS (2)45%50%25%30%

Tire tread levels at finish:
11RH-21RM#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A
14RM-9RS-9RS (2)45%50%25%30%

Apologies, I forgot to record the final tread levels for the 11RH-21RM strategy. The rear tires were both quite close to being fully spent, if I remember correctly.

I'm feeling like 14RM-9RS-9RS is the way to go for me. For one thing, it was faster than the 1-pit strategy, even without accounting for the shorter pit times we'll be having in the race. It also allows gives me the option of switching to RSs even earlier with a 3-stop strategy (eg. 2RM-10RS-10RS-10RS) if I take damage early on.

You perhaps noticed the '(2)' on the 14RM-9RS-9RS strategy. I had to run this a second time. My first attempt went really well, actually. I managed to evade the Death Chicken for the entire race. It wasn't perfect, but it was as close as I've come so far.

Naturally, I had a Death Chicken album playing in the background.
death-chicken-disconnected.jpg

Afterwards, when I was reading lap times and tread levels from the replay to enter into my spreadsheet, I lost my connection to PSN. Apparently, PD in their infinite wisdom, have decided that the game must be online to view the offline replay of an offline race. The screen went black and when the PSN connection was re-established, I was kicked out of the replay and back on the main screen. Thanks, PD.

Last edited:
I tried a custom race. Conclusion- @Moose78 is definitely very gentle on his tires. His/Lopez's strategy may not work for you. There is a reason that other World Series players went for 2RM-1RS instead of 1RM-2RS.

For me, even 2RM-1RS barely made it to 32 laps. But to be fair, I had some spins and some kissing the chicken moments. These moments absolutely melt the rear tires. Think how F1 drivers typically pit for fresh tires after a spin.

For GT1, I am at a loss about strategy because any strategy is potentially out of the window with damage, spins, and even too many squiggly exits out of corners due to damaged rear tires.

I am absolutely a danger to everyone around, sigh. It is also too hard to avoid an incident/slow-down in front of me. Biggest problem tomorrow, however, is whether I can make it to one of the 3 slots.

Yet to try RHs. Fuel is not an issue.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, after a (very) few practice laps last night, I don't have much confidence that my GT1 debut is going to go very well.

No turning back at this point, though. Looking forward to it anyway!

edit to be honest, I'm most looking forward to seeing and racing some of you guys again, it's been awhile.

Except for @appu , screw that guy for scaring me off the track at the Nurburgring last night!

Last edited:
Did a few time trial laps today. I'm very surprised that in my hands the new physics seems to have settled this car down a bit. It seemed very stable and only thought about a squiggle on cold hards, otherwise it didn't want to spin out at all (with TCS 0).
I know famous last words and hopefully a full tank and wearing tyres won't change too much. :scared:

Back