GT Academy 2012 (NA) General Discussion

• Thread starter paskowitz
  • 3,455 comments
I really hope there is another one, last time around I was literally a week too young to compete... I know If I get another chance I will be able to push myself far enough to make the cut. I would drop EVERYTHING in life to be a racing driver. My biggest inspiration in life is Aryton Senna, and evern though I know I will never amount to what he was, god damn I know I can try and do good.

Just don't drop the baby if you happen to be holding one at the time you get the good news.

Ohhhh, maybe. Might have to change up my trip home though. Was going to take the scenic route, might have to skip it.

Edit: I assume entry to watch is free.

Ohhhh, maybe. Might have to change up my trip home though. Was going to take the scenic route, might have to skip it.

Edit: I assume entry to watch is free.

Yeah, you can watch for free (and probably ride assuming SD region is the same as the LA region). My class (SK2) runs in the morning so I should be done by lunch time.

Hell, if you want to pony up $20 for tires you can co-drive my car (RX-8) if you want.

It'll also be $30 for event entry fee and $15 for an SCCA weekend membership if you're not a member already. This is my first time running with SD region, there might be some other small charge having to do with the region, but I'm not sure.

Edit: just found it digging around on the forums, it's an addition $5 fee to pay to the region, so $70 total.

Hell, if you want to pony up $20 for tires you can co-drive my car (RX-8) if you want.

It'll also be $30 for event entry fee and $15 for an SCCA weekend membership if you're not a member already. This is my first time running with SD region, there might be some other small charge having to do with the region, but I'm not sure.

Edit: just found it digging around on the forums, it's an addition $5 fee to pay to the region, so $70 total.

holy cats! do you guys have california tourism board charges in there too?

solo 1 here in NY is $20 if you have an SCCA card and $25 if you don't. and that's where the fees stop.

no way I'd pay $70/week to auto-x... it's just not that much fun.

solo 1 here in NY is $20 if you have an SCCA card and $25 if you don't. and that's where the fees stop.

no way I'd pay $70/week to auto-x... it's just not that much fun.

Well, I'm only going to pay $35 personally.

I'm just saying for someone to drive MY car ($20) that doesn't have an SCCA membership ($15 for the weekend), it would be $70.

Edit: not sure why region is able to get away with $5 for an SCCA weekend membership, it seems like that's something that SCCA would control.

Not much one can do about SCCA/event fees (other than making it to the relevants decision boards). However, when I invited people on an occassional co-drive - I didn't even think of charging them for tires. Otherwise it's only fair for them to bill be for their company (which I probably enjoy since I invited them).

Well, I'm only going to pay $35 personally.

I'm just saying for someone to drive MY car ($20) that doesn't have an SCCA membership ($15 for the weekend), it would be $70.

Edit: not sure why region is able to get away with $5 for an SCCA weekend membership, it seems like that's something that SCCA would control.

there's no extra temporary weekend-member fee here. just a higher rate for non-members.

(unless that $15 fee is a new thing... i haven't bothered with cone killing for ~2-3 years)

I got spoiled with my locally sanctioned autocross events in my home town. $20 for a full day of runs.

Yeah, I'm used to $20-$25 for 4-5 runs and lots of milling about in a hot parking lot. The latter is what made me stop doing it. ;)

*shrug*

I guess like many other things,it's more expensive here in California.

We do have pretty fantastic venues, with courses usually around 60 seconds, and the occasional 90-100 second course every one in awhile.

As far as charging for tires, it's what I've always done if I have a co-driver, and I feel guilty if I don't pay to co-drive someone else's car.

*shrug*

I guess like many other things,it's more expensive here in California.

We do have pretty fantastic venues, with courses usually around 60 seconds, and the occasional 90-100 second course every one in awhile.

As far as charging for tires, it's what I've always done if I have a co-driver, and I feel guilty if I don't pay to co-drive someone else's car.

Yeah, the courses I've been on were usually 35-45 second runs for your average WRX.

Oh, and don't feel the need to defend your fee. I think everyone should expect to kick in something for wear-n-tear if they're using someone else's car. Tires, clutches, synchros, and fuel all cost money. No such thing as a free ride in racing...

Oh I don't care about the tire fee, that's no big deal. I just can't afford anything else.

This is where we used to run: (ski resort)

(Looking south)
IMG_4817.jpg

(Looking north)
IMG_3895.jpg

Oh I don't care about the tire fee, that's no big deal. I just can't afford anything else.

This is where we used to run: (ski resort)

(Looking south)
PIC

(Looking north)
PIC

I'm pretty sure I watched a video of you or someone else running a course there. It involved many laps.

Was me yeah in my Miata just after I turbocharged it. Was start on the top lot, 2 laps of the bottom lot, then back to the top for the finish.

Both those pictures show the bottom lot.

Yeah, not too bad. :P

Fond memories of that place, they don't autocross there anymore. (or at all for that matter) Now they just do monthly track days at GJMS.

At one point with my Miata I set FTD in fun runs at the end of the day using all season Kumho tires. :)

Oh, and don't feel the need to defend your fee. I think everyone should expect to kick in something for wear-n-tear if they're using someone else's car.
I have no problem with sharing costs between regular co-drivers. Over the whole season it adds up.
On the other hand, I've co-driven and shared my cars on a one-off basis many times just to make weekend more enjoyable w/o any kind of tire fees. Could be a Midwest thing, d/k.

Yep, driving down in my RX-8, and racing it. It's basically stock with Hankook RS-3s that I run in our the local "SK2" class, which is basically the stock class rules but on street tires rather than street legal slicks (Hoosier A6, Kumho V710). In both LA and SD it's a very popular class. I won it last year in the LA region.

I drive a 93' BMW 325i (avatar pic) in the LA region, and going to nationals in that car, but I don't own that car, just drive it. It's an STX car.

Yep, driving down in my RX-8, and racing it. It's basically stock with Hankook RS-3s that I run in our the local "SK2" class, which is basically the stock class rules but on street tires rather than street legal slicks (Hoosier A6, Kumho V710). In both LA and SD it's a very popular class. I won it last year in the LA region.

I drive a 93' BMW 325i (avatar pic) in the LA region, and going to nationals in that car, but I don't own that car, just drive it. It's an STX car.

Last year had at least one solo1 national champion (JSW) and IIRC Nick (blindside50) was a runner up. The other quick Nick (forcednduckshn) you'll meet in SD has been to nationals before. Solo seems to be a popular feeder series for finding time-trial aliens. ;)

GL at both national championships 👍

Bryan has at least one natl championship. Wish I could have my STS Miata ready for nationals, but it's probably not going to happen. Not to mention I'd be on plenty of road use 205 Star Specs instead of the 'pixie dust' 195 R1R's :P.

Last year had at least one solo1 national champion (JSW) and IIRC Nick (blindside50) was a runner up. The other quick Nick (forcednduckshn) you'll meet in SD has been to nationals before. Solo seems to be a popular feeder series for finding time-trial aliens. ;)

GL at both national championships 👍

Think you have it mixed up. If I'm not mistaken, Bryan was the National Champ and John (JSW) actually races Spec Miata.

Think you have it mixed up. If I'm not mistaken, Bryan was the National Champ and John (JSW) actually races Spec Miata.

Yep, except Bryan's actually a multi-time National Champ. I'm excited to see how the talent plays out this year, it's going to be fun to watch! 👍

Back