GT5 Latest News & Discussion

• Thread starter gamelle71
  • 76,879 comments
i think its a decent article, but like you said...except for the part about the physics...if there is anywhere the PS3's hardware shines it is in physics calculations...the cell processor is an absolute BEAST in regards to physics calculations...the 360 can match it in most other categories, but that one? no way...
I think they suck!!
Physics are the bread and butter of Forza and I don't expect Gran Turismo to match them but at the same time they can learn from them. Gran Turismo has always had a slight arcade physics engine and from what has been seen and heard of GT5 this has not changed. This can most likely be attributed to the graphical push and the PS3 not being able to handle both the physics of a game like Forza and the graphics of Gran Turismo which is also true with the Xbox 360. Forza Motorsport has made some very good advancements in this area and every game the engine has evolved and now almost matches what is seen on PC simulators. Gran Turismo 5 is just adding the ability of multi-layer tire heat physics while Forza Motorsport 3 has added tire flex fixing huge traction problems with Forza 2. Now with Forza Motorsport 3 we still see a traction problem but body flex, feeling every bump with a 360 physics frames per second and the way the cars feel going around the tracks even with a controller is amazing compared to the first Forza. The biggest problems Forza Motorsport 3 seem to have in this area is the traction physics like when drag racing where a car spins its tires like its on a gravel road trying to get traction. There is also no difference when it comes to driving on Suzuka or Sebring which have very different track surfaces. This problem gives a huge advantage to AWD vehicles and throws RWD into the dirt.

Yeah I was like AHAHHAHA PS3 having trouble with physics. Thats funny. If anything it has trouble with rendering. GT's physics have been behind the curb, but not Forza, more the PC sims. Hopefully GT5 will change that. Also all physics discussions are void when a controller is in use. FM's physics does a lot of things right (and in the end a lot better than GT5p) but is hampered by MS's stupid wheel protocols and buffering.

^at above. There is no need to get feisty. FM and GT both have their flaws in terms of physics. Although that particular comment is a bit erroneous.

I don't agree with him about Forza's AI, I usually get crashed into off the line. He really doesn't know what he's talking about really, he even calls it 'down force'.

I think that they should see this one!
263kbw3.jpg

Ai is usually a mixed bag. Sometimes I am amazed at the Ai in both games but most of the time in both GT5p and FM3 the Ai is just plain stupid. GRiD had some good Ai. As does GTR Evo. It seems shooter Ai has come a long way, but racing games still have a ways to go.

dont know if anyone else caught this but at the end of the 458 italia tribute... when it says the ps3 only does everything.... it also said epic online fun and all-nighters...... maybe it was there hint of 24 hour races before it was even confirmed??? idk just thought id mention

Yeah I was like AHAHHAHA PS3 having trouble with physics. Thats funny. If anything it has trouble with rendering. GT's physics have been behind the curb, but not Forza, more the PC sims. Hopefully GT5 will change that. Also all physics discussions are void when a controller is in use. FM's physics does a lot of things right (and in the end a lot better than GT5p) but is hampered by MS's stupid wheel protocols and buffering.

^at above. There is no need to get feisty. FM and GT both have their flaws in terms of physics. Although that particular comment is a bit erroneous.

Other than the sound...

That article is bull..... how can he say FM3 has stepped up their physics? more like stepping back their physics, by adding Permanent Driving Aid and Active Steering...

i think the reason they made FM3 arcade is because of the improved polys on their cars, and because they wanted more casual gamers to play their game.

GT5 has an Active Steering Aid that you can turn on and off

That what FM3 doesn't have.

it always on no matter what you do.

"Even with all the optional driving aids disabled, Forza 3 still has an active steering aid that steers for you."

I can only hope they learned from the Forza 3 disaster and give us public lobbies with these options.

That's the scary thing.....

It looks like Prologue like, PD only, up to 16 player events, for public lobbies.....
and no spectating....

Having all these options for private, friends only lobbies, is pointless!

Total fanboy article. 👎

paskowitz
Ai is usually a mixed bag. Sometimes I am amazed at the Ai in both games but most of the time in both GT5p and FM3 the Ai is just plain stupid. GRiD had some good Ai. As does GTR Evo. It seems shooter Ai has come a long way, but racing games still have a ways to go.

While I slightly agree, the AI in GT5:P is WAY better than the AI in GT4.

I just fired up the F3 today for a long time. First impresion was amazing as sounds are so good. I really enjoyed driving cayman s in the ring (i will buy that car some day). But after 10min i realized how floaty physics are. Also drifting is still not fun and game does not take full advantage of the degrees. And changing steering ratio and buffer makes driving harder in tight spots. Forza seems like a pretty lady but turns out to be a drag queen every time going gets hot enough.

I just fired up the F3 today for a long time. First impresion was amazing as sounds are so good. I really enjoyed driving cayman s in the ring (i will buy that car some day). But after 10min i realized how floaty physics are. Also drifting is still not fun and game does not take full advantage of the degrees. And changing steering ratio and buffer makes driving harder in tight spots. Forza seems like a pretty lady but turns out to be a drag queen every time going gets hot enough.

I'm totally agree with that...i was expecting F3 to be better than F2 (which i played a lot) only to find that it was a lot worse..:grumpy:

All that said, I do expect upgrade and customization to make a full return--in the interview with Yamauchi-san regarding hybrids in GT, he does mention that he believes that players would find if more fun to drive if they upgrade it with a turbo kit or something along those lines. Quick Tune and the PP system are impressive systems, to be sure, but they left Prologue feeling rather sterile and soulless to me.

I think that the quick tune section was just used in the same way that it was in GT4's arcade mode and then in GT mode it will be back to the usual way of upgrading cars that we are used to. If this doesn't happen then yes, it will be a massive disappointment. But i'm sure that won't happen.

but that IS in-game. PD is one of the only developers that show off actual in-game footage when they show a video of their game.
Then this is the FIRST video I have seen where the GT5 physics look good. Thats actually great news. If you have any more videos that show off the physics then I would love to see them. Thats pretty much what the Forza 3 physics look like. 👍
Just not youtube because I cant see those videos.

Right...'cause in GT5 you'll turn and your car will roll...that's right all cars will be Reliant Robins. :P Seriously, though, the physics I've seen in the GT5 videos are a lot better than Forza's. The shocks bounce, the body flexes...everything seems right.

Then this is the FIRST video I have seen where the GT5 physics look good.
Huh, I've seen many many videos which looked amazingly lifelike.

If you can forgive the quality of graphics, GT3 and 4, the Tocas, the GTRs and Live For Speed look surprisingly real too, rather like racing video. But you don't have to look close to see shoddy background details that shatter the illusion pretty quickly. Forza 2 and 3 have their moments, but Turn 10 missed something somewhere. iRacing looks pretty nice.

But Codie's DiRT and GRID as well as NFS Shift look amazing, especially the wrecks. Of course you get into a car, and the driving is questionable. However, nothing gets as close as Prologue or GT5 to reality. wajdi1977's gif is simply stunning, but it's typical of what I've seen even of Prologue. Kazunori's graphics department went beyond incredible to capture almost every aspect of reality correctly, even the color, and that's something I'd been pleading for since GT4.

but that IS in-game. PD is one of the only developers that show off actual in-game footage when they show a video of their game.
But what about that video they showed I think last year 2009 of the Ralli car jumping and smashing the entire front end? There has not been anything at all like that video still to this day.

But what about that video they showed I think last year 2009 of the Ralli car jumping and smashing the entire front end? There has not been anything at all like that video still to this day.

not yet, at least. Maybe at GamesCom. Doesn't mean that the damage shown in that clip was CGI and pre-rendered. The Subaru looked like it was in-game....btw, that video hinted at a new rally track that we've yet to see,

What, like flapping doors?

Edit: Sorry you can't see it because it's on youtube, but it is in game footage of a rally car crashing and having it's door flop around.

Last edited:
Then this is the FIRST video I have seen where the GT5 physics look good. Thats actually great news. If you have any more videos that show off the physics then I would love to see them. Thats pretty much what the Forza 3 physics look like. 👍
Just not youtube because I cant see those videos.

Forza 3's graphics engine isn't sophisticated enough to convey its own physics engine. Other than the increase in polygons to the cars, the graphics engine in Forza 3 is essentially the same as Forza 2. Missing is the discernible weight to the cars instead they appear to float or glide on the road/pavement. There's almost no effect from the suspension which explains for the lack of body rolls. Despite the addition of tire deformation, you still get the floating car effect made famous by racing games from the 90s'.

Back