GT5 Latest News & Discussion

• Thread starter gamelle71
  • 76,879 comments
So I'm not the only one that had a few laughs playing with the Ram or Tacoma? That's one of the more appealing aspects of games like Enthusia, and yes, Forza: they really do look at SUV's too. I want to take a Q7 TDI around a track just for laughs, to see what it compares to. How "Sport" is the Range Rover? Bring back the Forester!

GT makes a token nod to trucks and SUV's, but they're missing out on a range of interesting (if questionable) vehicles. I'd never want to own most of them in real life because they represent too much of what I don't like... but in a game, that all goes out the window.

Ha, especially with rollovers!

Geez, I guess I need to only read the latest page, my responses are 2 pages too late.

Last edited:
Wow! This is the first time I have looked on here since we got the release date and the discussion is all about Porsche again. Pathetic gentlemen, just pathetic! We are getting 1000+ cars and all you guys can do is bitch about the one we do not. 👎👎:tdown:There is a whole life out there you guys are missing but if constant complaining is more entertaining to you then I guess to each thier own. I can not wait until the damn game is out so that there is something interesting to discuss around here.

Well, with working reverse lights making it into GT5, people have fewer things to whine about, so I suppose we should find new things to complain about. Maybe we can complain about the 2D crowds in the grandstands or how there is no confirmation of adjustable side and rear view mirrors. :P

But in all seriousness, you are definitely right that there are other things to do. Personally, I'm trying to play through all the GT games once more before GT5 is finally released. 👍

As for something interesting to discuss... I'm curious as to just how integrated the quick tune and performance point system will be with the single player GT Mode. Will it be replacing the traditional customization in the past GTs? I personally don't think so and I very much hope not. A big part of the GT Mode for me has always been purchasing parts to upgrade my car, and especially its power. I would hate to see this removed in favor of the HP and weight adjustment within the PP system. (On the other hand, if we're talking about adding a ballast or a restrictor plate, I believe I would find that to be perfectly acceptable.) In terms of usefulness of the PP system within the GT mode, however, I can definitely see the the rating system being used as a better means of restricting access to the various racing events for a more even field.

Of course, I believe the PP system was designed primarily with online racing in mind, so I do expect it to make a full return for multiplayer.

Last edited:
But in all seriousness, you are definitely right that there are other things to do. Personally, I'm trying to play through all the GT games once more before GT5 is finally released. 👍

Same here! I'm not doing all the races in GT3 though; did the ones I was interested in, mostly to get the cars I'm interested in. Redoing GT4 licenses now; halfway through golding IA at this point. It's interesting to play all the game so close together.

As for something interesting to discuss... I'm curious as to just how integrated the quick tune and performance point system will be with the single player GT Mode. Will it be replacing the traditional customization in the past GTs? I personally don't think so and I very much hope not. A big part of the GT Mode for me has always been purchasing parts to upgrade my car, and especially its power. I would hate to see this removed in favor of the HP and weight adjustment within the PP system. (On the other hand, if we're talking about adding a ballast or a restrictor plate, I believe I would find that to be perfectly acceptable.) In terms of usefulness of the PP system within the GT mode, however, I can definitely see the the rating system being used as a better means of restricting access to the various racing events for a more even field.

Of course, I believe the PP system was designed primarily with online racing in mind, so I do expect it to make a full return for multiplayer.

I sure hope they keep the traditional method of upgrades in GT5. Since Kaz has mentioned wanting to work with aftermarket companies in some interviews, I think it's a safe bet we'll be keeping that method. I don't know what will happen with PP, since you bring up a good point about it's usefulness with online races; maybe the host has a lot of variables to play with though? So (s)he can set whatever limits he wants?

A simple one to keep limits in GT Mode would just be a power/weight ratio. GT2's idea of horsepower limits are destroyed by cars like the Elise, but a power/weight ratio cap on series would fix a lot of that 👍

Guys,
it is my understanding that this 918 spyder picture, which appeared on official porsche site:
porschegt5.jpg

was a fake.
Do you know why it was considered a fake? I wasn't able to find the answer.

Is this not a reason to desire Porches in GT5? I would love to drive some of the old Can Am series rides like this.

And I do hope that they have expandability built in as I would love to get up one day in 2011 and find out that a group of American Grand Am cars for the Grand Sport and Street Tuner series' had become available. It would be like Christmas whenever a new GT5 expansion module came out. I realize this may all just be a pipe dream, but hey, let an old guy have his fantasies.

Guys,
it is my understanding that this 918 spyder picture, which appeared on official porsche site:
porschegt5.jpg

was a fake.
Do you know why it was considered a fake? I wasn't able to find the answer.

Very old matter. They used GT PSP game interface together with Forza III Nordschleife screenshot. Conclusion is... NOTHING.

I sure hope they keep the traditional method of upgrades in GT5. Since Kaz has mentioned wanting to work with aftermarket companies in some interviews, I think it's a safe bet we'll be keeping that method. I don't know what will happen with PP, since you bring up a good point about it's usefulness with online races; maybe the host has a lot of variables to play with though? So (s)he can set whatever limits he wants?

A simple one to keep limits in GT Mode would just be a power/weight ratio. GT2's idea of horsepower limits are destroyed by cars like the Elise, but a power/weight ratio cap on series would fix a lot of that 👍

I'm guessing they are keeping the PP system for the online part, here is a screenshot of the online lobby setup:
gran-turismo-5-online-menu-screens-2.jpg

^^You can see the "PP" are part of the regulations you can setup.

I don't see the PP system going away. It factors in Power to weight ratios and it works fairly well. But, no matter what type of system, cars like the Elise will always find an advantage.

You're confusing the simplified tuning method of adjusting weight and power at will with the PP system, which basically is just a way of classifying the car's potential. One has nothing to do with the other.

The simplified tuning method will most probably be replaced with the advanced tuning that we know from other GT games. It was just not included in the teaser GT5P.

I also dearly HOPE that the PP system will be used in GT Mode extensively, because once and for all it could be made impossible to win races with heavily overpowered cars. Where's the challenge in doing something like that? Try beating the opponents on a level playing field for once...

You're confusing the simplified tuning method of adjusting weight and power at will with the PP system, which basically is just a way of classifying the car's potential. One has nothing to do with the other.

The simplified tuning method will most probably be replaced with the advanced tuning that we know from other GT games. It was just not included in the teaser GT5P.

I also dearly HOPE that the PP system will be used in GT Mode extensively, because once and for all it could be made impossible to win races with heavily overpowered cars. Where's the challenge in doing something like that? Try beating the opponents on a level playing field for once...

The problems with that are: Firstly they need to get the PP system right and secondly there will always be cars that are at the top of their class, which will cause AI rabbits so you'll be forced to pick the same top class cars, depending on how difficult the AI is to beat (If we take the later S events from Prologue as an example, the AI could be quite difficult to beat).

It all reminds me of GT2, where we had Horse power limits. The pre-1970 classic car race was absolutely blown away by that AI GT40. The only realistic way you could win was by using a GT40 yourself or re-doing the event until the GT40 wasn't there.

If they don't get the PP system right, there could be rabbits like that in every event, and all it will do is limit the cars you can use against it.

They also need to have an event for every class of car, which even with the great amount of events in GT4, there was still not enough. GT race cars had nowhere to go, they blew away the field at the dream car event and the JGTC/SuperGT event, and got dominated in the LMP events (Well, with a bit of skill they were do-able). If they include an event for every class of car a PP system would not be needed at all.

The pre-1970 classic car race was absolutely blown away by that AI GT40. The only realistic way you could win was by using a GT40 yourself or re-doing the event until the GT40 wasn't there.
That was so annoying :lol:. Not to mention that GT2 didn't have a restart button so I had to quit the race first.

If they don't get the PP system right, there could be rabbits like that in every event, and all it will do is limit the cars you can use against it.

Nice to see someone talking gameplay design and not the usual physics/weather/skidmarks topics.

Myself, I have this dream that I can hop into any car and do a quick race and enjoy myself. Hopefully they don't use the overhauled online mode as an excuse for proper gameplay design.

It's a challenge to figure out what car suits the job most, but to me, cars a not just tools to get a job done. So hopefully, they come up with a good ratings system.

The PP system was one of the most remarkable achievements in Prologue, of course there are cars who still get unbalanced advantages, but still a nice tool to determine the level of competition required for a challenging race.

I would like to see the PP system extensively used in GT5, however I would like it even more if it was optional, for example, recommended PP for this race = 700PP, if you're racing above this number, A-Spec points will decrease, if you're running under this number, the points increase.

Yes and no. I see what you mean, but the way I saw it with Prologue, the performance point system was part and parcel of the quick tune system. The key difference I see between quick tune and a more robust upgrade and customization mechanic was the ability to add or remove weight and power without purchasing upgrades-or removing them-both methods of which would alter overall PP score. That is to say, you can have a rating system without having quick tune, but with quick tune, you can obtain any PP score within a car's characteristics without the need to purchase upgrades.

My primary problem with quick tune in Prologue is that it negatively impacted the feeling of ownership of your cars. Otherwise, I thought it was indeed a good system.

The PP system was one of the most remarkable achievements in Prologue, of course there are cars who still get unbalanced advantages, but still a nice tool to determine the level of competition required for a challenging race.

Agreed. 👍

I would like to see the PP system extensively used in GT5, however I would like it even more if it was optional, for example, recommended PP for this race = 700PP, if you're racing above this number, A-Spec points will decrease, if you're running under this number, the points increase.

If the PP system is implemented within the GT Mode like this, I would be very happy indeed.

All that said, I do expect upgrade and customization to make a full return--in the interview with Yamauchi-san regarding hybrids in GT, he does mention that he believes that players would find if more fun to drive if they upgrade it with a turbo kit or something along those lines. Quick Tune and the PP system are impressive systems, to be sure, but they left Prologue feeling rather sterile and soulless to me.

It all reminds me of GT2, where we had Horse power limits. The pre-1970 classic car race was absolutely blown away by that AI GT40. The only realistic way you could win was by using a GT40 yourself or re-doing the event until the GT40 wasn't there.

That was a bug though.
It was the race at Grindelwald, with a HP restriction from 295, the Ford had over 300. I beat it though, I think with a good tuned Lotus Europa iirc.

That was a bug though.
It was the race at Grindelwald, with a HP restriction from 295, the Ford had over 300. I beat it though, I think with a good tuned Lotus Europa iirc.
The bug with the GT40 also occured at Rome and Red Rock Valley.

:lol: So true. Its a new generation of gamers in todays times, when they care more about trophies aquired for the games' then the actual fun playing the game. Its pretty funny to see in the PS store the option to buy (with real money) the ability to unlock all of the games content without spending any effort playing the actual game to do so. I thought spending the time playing the game to unlock things was part of the fun of playing the game...I guess kids now think gaming is 'work' and just want everything unlocked from the get go.
The only thing that has to do with this generation of gamers is the delivery method.

I remember a time when a game manual had a 1-900 (charged toll number) number to call for hints, tips, and cheats. I remember being able to buy entire books full of cheat codes. I remember Game Genies and Game Sharks. And now the developers have found a new way to make the money themselves by selling an unlock key as DLC.

I literally watched a friend "beat" Doom by using codes to turn on God Mode, Walk Through Walls Mode, and Map Mode. He just walked through walls to the exit with God Mode on via the map view. When I asked him what fun that was he said, "I win."

And as laughable as this seems to us that people use these things to unlock stuff or whatever many people use them just for their kids or when they find the gameplay incorporates elements they don't like. I used cheats the first time I played a Resident Evil game because I just wanted to shoot zombies, not look for items. I didn't have to pay for it, but times have changed a bit.

There is a degree of absurd, but then there is also a degree of "I just wanted the sandbox experience from the start."

^ I'm not one for buying content unlock codes although Dara makes a very good point in this video

Dara does make a good point but it still feels extremely lazy and missing the point of gaming if you have to buy unlockable content in my opinion.
Part of the satisfaction is finally unlocking it after spending hours frustratingly playing the same part ( although some games should probably offer more save points to not make it unnecessarily gruelling ).

You know when you get up in the morning and think, wouldn't it be nice if I just could press a button and I would be showered, shaved and dressed within a second ( or maybe it's just me )?
Buying unlockable content to me is like pressing a button as a toddler and within a second you're a pensioner...........;)

As soon as I saw those 'online' screenshots I got spine shivers...
It seems really like we are going to have tons of fun.

Nothing GT important here but I give you the link in any event:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/7877149/E3-2010-Kazuo-Hirai-interview.html

Last question to Kazuo Hirai ; how much of a relief is it that Gran Turismo 5 is finally coming out?

(Laughs) Couldn't be happier! Especially because Kazunori Yamauchi took a lot of time tweaking the game – as he always does – but the fact that he took the time to make sure the game is 3D compatible is great. He put a lot of effort into it and it obviously shows! If you haven't played it yet, you should – it looks absolutely fantastic!

Dara does make a good point but it still feels extremely lazy and missing the point of gaming if you have to buy unlockable content in my opinion.
Part of the satisfaction is finally unlocking it after spending hours frustratingly playing the same part ( although some games should probably offer more save points to not make it unnecessarily gruelling ).

You know when you get up in the morning and think, wouldn't it be nice if I just could press a button and I would be showered, shaved and dressed within a second ( or maybe it's just me )?
Buying unlockable content to me is like pressing a button as a toddler and within a second you're a pensioner...........;)

I think it's more that some people enjoy being challenged in a game, and the feeling of success when they complete something is what they're after.

Some people just want to play. They want to play one bit of the game, and that experience is what they're there for. They don't want to spend hours of their life, they maybe don't want to even play the whole game, they just want the bits that are fun for them.

Sure, that's kind of lazy, but it's an entertainment format. It's SUPPOSED to be lazy. If that's what you want.

I see no reason why developers can't (in most games) cater to both the people who like a challenge, and the people who just want to pick up and play.

I think it's more that some people enjoy being challenged in a game, and the feeling of success when they complete something is what they're after.

Some people just want to play. They want to play one bit of the game, and that experience is what they're there for. They don't want to spend hours of their life, they maybe don't want to even play the whole game, they just want the bits that are fun for them.

Sure, that's kind of lazy, but it's an entertainment format. It's SUPPOSED to be lazy. If that's what you want.

I see no reason why developers can't (in most games) cater to both the people who like a challenge, and the people who just want to pick up and play.

I guess you're right that the experience without being challenged too much is what a lot of people prefer.
Nothing wrong with that although personally I'd rather try to collect the unlockables than actually pay real money for it.
And it being lazy might be seeing it just from my ( possibly limited ) viewpoint as for some it's probably supposed to be a "lazy" leisure pursuit.
It indeed takes all sorts ( and all the better for it ) and the game companies are smart to offer a short-cut and charging extra for it to cater for this ( potentionally very large ) group undoubtedly.
This "lazy" approach is also how I tend to play and experience GT-games, but only after I succesfully completed all challenges, and this is probably ( apart from the first few hours/days of starting the game ) the most enjoyable time for me.
Just aimlessly driving around the Nürburgring without any goal, just enjoying the experience of driving my favourite cars.

Back