GT5 Master Car List (NOT a wishlist - Please read first post)

• Thread starter The359
  • 4,770 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've driven all the cars in GT4 more than once ( every single car ) so I really like the variety PD offers and really used it instead of only driving the more obvious choices time and time again.
The way I see it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that PD tries to obtain as many different licences they can aquire from the start of developing ( and I believe PD knows what is available both from present and past and know what may be interesting to their audience ) and try to make any game as diverse as possible with all posssible brands and types.
To model all those different cars takes time and money, modelling different types of the same car is relatively less time-consuming and costly ( perhaps same licence ).
Now if for whatever reason some cars may not be included ( Porsche, etc.) it may be that they can't obtain the licence ( or too costly ), can't obtain the permission to model a rare classic car from its current owner, run out of time to model it before a deadline, or changed the decision for inclusion for an entirely different reason only known to PD, they still have all those Skylines ( most of them would probably still be featured anyway ) to act as, dare I say it, filler.
They don't take up space for any possible other cars but probably fill the void and I'd rather have some more types of Skyline/Evo/etc. ( since there are probably more variations of these cars than any other IRL ) than having all sorts of special colour/action models, or worse nothing at all, created to fill the gap.
Yes, it is probably boring to have 50 slight variations of the same thing and I know the "I'll rather have these than 50 Skylines" phrase is used more as a saying than actual fact, but at least all those Skyline-fans will have as much fun driving those variations as I will have driving those classic Ferrari's.
One men's filler may be the other one's killer......:)

There is no doubting that 740 (ish) cars are amazing. It just cannot be denied.

But why can't another model have as many or nearly as many models?

Still, if 50 Skylines are made that's 50 Skylines being the focus of one PD worker or perhaps 5. I know not. So, of course that time could be lent to another car or a number of cars.

See that point. See it well!

But why can't another model have as many or nearly as many models?

There's quite a few RX-7s, Imprezas, Lancer Evos and NSXs...

So, of course that time could be lent to another car or a number of cars.

Only if they knew about the other car, wanted it in the game, had a licence for it and had an example to model!

Modelling "a car" from scratch takes 6 personmonths (that is the work one person can do in 6 months, or that 6 can do in one month). Pressing CTRL+C, CTRL+V takes four seconds. That's three minutes work for 54 Skylines (so the fanboys would tell us) - long enough for a team of eighty-eight thousand people to model you one extra car.

There's quite a few RX-7s, Imprezas, Lancer Evos and NSXs...

And perhaps the 350Z. But still, the Skyline is king, and not surprisingly, we're only naming Japanese cars. Again, let us represent regions properly. I'd say at 25 (Skylines) the appropriate number was reached.

Modelling "a car" from scratch takes 6 personmonths (that is the work one person can do in 6 months, or that 6 can do in one month). Pressing CTRL+C, CTRL+V takes four seconds. That's three minutes work for 54 Skylines (so the fanboys would tell us) - long enough for a team of eighty-eight thousand people to model you one extra car.

Excellent. Then I do hope for 75 Skyline models. :scared:

And perhaps the 350Z. But still, the Skyline is king, and not surprisingly, we're only naming Japanese cars. Again, let us represent regions properly. I'd say at 25 (Skylines) the appropriate number was reached.

Why? There's twelve generations of Skyline. Is two of each really representative? Would just two R33s adequately portray the RWD, the 4WD, the four door, the 400R, the GT-R LM and all the tuner variants (Mine's, Nismo, Tommy kaira, HKS)? What about all the racing variants which were significant in WTCC and Le Mans/Endurance racing as well as JGTC/SuperGT?

And, more importantly, if there's disc space to fill why not fill it? Why seek to limit my enjoyment of the game by coming up with an arbitrary number of a given car and not exceeding it? The disc space can't be used for other cars (see the list of five reasons - they're chronological too, you know) and sticking another Skyline in takes no effort to give me - and others - another car to drive.

Having 54 Skylines doesn't reduce the number of cars you can enjoy in GT4 in any way. Having 25 Skylines would reduce the number of cars I can enjoy in GT4. What's your problem with me having fun that you want to stop it?

Why? There's twelve generations of Skyline. Is two of each really representative? Would just two R33s adequately portray the RWD, the 4WD, the four door, the 400R, the GT-R LM and all the tuner variants (Mine's, Nismo, Tommy kaira, HKS)? What about all the racing variants which were significant in WTCC and Le Mans/Endurance racing as well as JGTC/SuperGT?

Before, you asked why there should be at least 50 models for Ferrari and Lamborghini (combined). You pretty much answered it yourself. However, in this case, we're referring to different car models and its many variations instead of one model and its many variations.

With your logic, and I somewhat like it, there should be the Gallardo, Gallardo Spyder, Gallardo SE, Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera, Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera LP 570-4, Lamborghini Gallardo 560-4, Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 Spyder and the Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2 Valentino Balboni. Yes?

And then we can move onto the Murciélago and the Diablo and its variations.

Notice how it becomes more tolerable when other models are represented fairly. :)

Could it be that I am the only one who really does appreciate the variety of Skylines, Celica's, Imprezas, and so on?

I'm rather curious to see if different Skylines for instance, of the same same generation, will feature SLIGHTLY different interiors or if they will be replecated from a standard Skyline due to the enormous consumption of time used creating these SLIGHTLY different interiors.

Or could it be that the interiors of varying Skylines from the same generation actually look similar and then have those falsly accusing Polyphony Digital for replecating interiors by individuals who are ignorant of the similiarities between Skyline interiors.

This ought to be quite interesting, for me at least.

Before, you asked why there should be at least 50 models for Ferrari and Lamborghini (combined).

No, I didn't. I asked why you'd expect there to be. Stop making up things I've said.

No, I didn't. I asked why you'd expect there to be. Stop making up things I've said.

Before, you asked me why I'd expect there to be 50 models for Ferrari and Lamborghini (combined). You pretty much answered it yourself.* That's better. :)

And as I stated in my previous post, 50 Skylines is acceptable if other models get similar treatment. If it's too much work for PD to cater to both properly, cut down on both models. Don't favor one model over another. That is all.

Last edited:
Before, you asked me why I'd expect there to be 50 models for Ferrari and Lamborghini (combined). You pretty much answered it yourself.* That's better. :)

No, because your response is nothing to do with the question.

Why expect 50 Ferrari/Lamborghini models? What possible reason could you have for leaping to this assumption? You might want it, but what information has been given out about cars to allow you to get to the point where you would start GT5 up expecting to see 50 Ferrari and Lamborghini models?

None. Your expectation is unfounded. So why expect it?

And as I stated in my previous post, 50 Skylines is acceptable if other models get similar treatment. If it's too much work for PD cater to both, cut down on both models. Don't favor one model over another. That is all.

Oh for the love of bees :rolleyes: Have you even been reading the last two pages or just making up things in your head?

Shall we go over this again slowly? No model is favoured over another. That would require constraints (space) that do not exist. Since the constraints don't exist, there is no reason to assume that the choice was "put in this Skyline or put in this other car" and that the Skyline was chosen in preference. The Skylines are not there at the expense of other cars.

Removing one Skyline from GT4 still gives you 675 non-Skylines (that you haven't driven). Removing all the Skylines from GT4 still gives you 675 non-Skylines (that you haven't driven). What have you achieved by removing Skylines? Nothing. However, you've caused significant detriment to the enjoyment of the game by other people, by reducing their car list from 729 to 675. Why would you do this when there is no reason?

Well to be honest not all of us want 50 types of skylines , its like me saying i want the 430 the 430 spider, the scuderia and the 16m , let people have their views.

Well to be honest not all of us want 50 types of skylines , its like me saying i want the 430 the 430 spider, the scuderia and the 16m , let people have their views.

What does this have to do with anything said thus far?

If you don't want 50 types of Skylines, that's your prerogative. You need to understand that the alternative to just one of those cars is no car at all. That is removing a Skyline won't ever have allowed another car to be in there - because there's plenty of space to put more cars in already. The other cars aren't there simply because they are not there.

So take a Skyline out and you reduce the car list by one. You might never have driven it and won't care. I did drive it - why would you take that car off me?

Have you even been reading the last two pages or just making up things in your head?

My argument/point is firmly rooted. I know you understand what I've been ranting about on the last few pages. It's not fuzzy or misguiding.

And I've participated in such banter because:

• It's fun to to wait for your eventual reply
  • It's keeping me entertained during these sloth-like days
  • You enjoy a good discussion/debate as much as I do
  • I believe I have a point so I defend it

[*]You enjoy a good discussion/debate as much as I do

I quite like it when they don't go round in circles and people don't make things up and ascribe them to me.

The Skylines aren't doing any harm. They aren't taking space other cars could use - there's plenty of space left that other cars could have used had they been available/wanted/known about. Complaining about "variety" when there's more non-Skylines on the list than any other game has ever had cars and you've not even bothered to drive them all is a nonsense. Wanting to take cars away from the rest of us because you think 50 is too many despite this achieving nothing but reducing the car list is also a nonsense.

All im saying is why do 50 skylines which are the same when you could have stuff like all new cars .

Because they can't. Look, I've already gone over this a few times. There's space left on the GT4 disc. The Skylines aren't taking up any space that other cars could use. If other cars were going to be in GT4 they would be. The fact they aren't shows that they couldn't be and it's nothing to do with the Skylines.

All im saying is why do 50 skylines which are the same when you could have stuff like all new cars .

And what gave you the idea that working on skylines prohibits new cars from entering the game? U suggest you read all the purple text on the previous pages cause you seem confused as hell.
They are working on 50 skylines, because there is probably nothing else to work on. If they stop working on the skylines, 50 new cars won't magically appear for them to work on. They can't work on cars they don't have licenses for.

I quite like it when they don't go round in circles and people don't make things up and ascribe them to me.

That's almost applicable to this debate. What I said was just fine, but I did adjust it to accommodate you, Famine. Talk about semantics....

The Skylines aren't doing any harm. They aren't taking space other cars could use - there's plenty of space left that other cars could have used had they been available/wanted/known about. Complaining about "variety" when there's more non-Skylines on the list than any other game has ever had cars and you've not even bothered to drive them all is a nonsense. Wanting to take cars away from the rest of us because you think 50 is too many despite this achieving nothing but reducing the car list is also a nonsense.

50 Skylines don't do any harm. Yes, this is true. I haven't gotten visibly sick from seeing so many models, and I doubt I will soon. But as I have said before, other models are deserving of being represented fully and as equally as the Skyline. Therefore, they deserve the same effort from PD as the aforementioned model.

I am not requesting that they necessarily be removed (unless they need be, perhaps due to time constraints, at the request of KY or another employee), but rather that they are not the only models which are properly represented (despite its history; as short or as lengthy as it may be).

Anyway, not many cars (from dealers featured in past GT's) have the history the Skyline has.

And if you don't like the car, don't buy it, don't drive it, if you win it, sell it. Simple.

Anyway, not many cars (from dealers featured in past GT's) have the history the Skyline has.

And if you don't like the car, don't buy it, don't drive it, if you win it, sell it. Simple.

It is that simple however that isn't their point. They're under the impression that 50 skylines are the reason that 50 other cars are not in the game.

50 Skylines don't do any harm. Yes, this is true. I haven't gotten visibly sick from seeing so many models, and I doubt I will soon. But as I have said before, other models are deserving of being represented fully and as equally as the Skyline. Therefore, they deserve the same effort from PD as the aforementioned model.

One of the things PD need is access.

Nissan, among other Japanese manufacturers, are right on PD's doorstep. They can send a team out to photograph the car and be home for lunch. They also have a much bigger reputation in the Japanese Motor Industry.

If they manage to acquire the license to put every variation Lamborghini Gallardo in the game, they would have so many more problems simply accessing the cars they need. This problem is multiplied in relation to classic models, hence why i'm not expecting too many classic Ferraris, because they simply do not have access to them all. Access doesn't just mean photgraphing the cars, it also means testing their performance. I don't know what their procedure is for testing performance, but i'm going to bet western companies aren't going to want to loan several variations of their models to PD when they can reduce their costs by just loaning the standard car and the top of the range. I bet Nissan are more than happy to advertise their models through the game, and are more than happy to loan their models in order to get that free advertisement. Now the western companies not only want the advertising, they want the licensing deals to be financially rewarding.

Could it be that I am the only one who really does appreciate the variety of Skylines, Celica's, Imprezas, and so on?

No you're not the only one, I want even more Skylines but I also want even more of everything, full models and trim differences :D

Less is bad.

I'm rather curious to see if different Skylines for instance, of the same same generation, will feature SLIGHTLY different interiors or if they will be replecated from a standard Skyline due to the enormous consumption of time used creating these SLIGHTLY different interiors.

I am pretty sure PD will put in the differences for interiors, especially since most of them within the same generation are only minor changes.

In fact in GT5P you can see the R34 Skyline GTR V-Spec II Nur has the Nur speedometer which goes to 320km/h rather than the stock R34 (even stock GTR) like the Blitz has which has the 180km/h speedo.

Or could it be that the interiors of varying Skylines from the same generation actually look similar and then have those falsly accusing Polyphony Digital for replecating interiors by individuals who are ignorant of the similiarities between Skyline interiors.

This ought to be quite interesting, for me at least.

Totally agree with you. 👍
A lot of the Skylines in GT4 were unique anyway, from oldtimers to racecars and even a pacecar.

Totally agree with you. 👍
A lot of the Skylines in GT4 were unique anyway, from oldtimers to racecars and even a pacecar.

Wow, this got me thinking, since I always thought the whole "too much Skylines" debate was aimed at too many variations of the same model ( meaning one generation/model-year, same car in different spec ) but did not extend to just the name Skyline....
The Skylines in GT4 were indeed spanning various generations and incarnations ( road/race ) and offered a lot of variety as they were mostly completely different cars only linked by a commonly shared moniker.
Who could be against that? Not saying this as a particularly Skyline-obsessed fanboy ( which I ain't ) but it is a hugely significant carname in Japan.
Japanese firms do tend to use the same name for completely different cars ( how many totally different Corolla's have there been since that name was introduced? ) over a long period anyhow ( unlike, say, the Golf which is rather evolutionary ).
In short, I can understand why some find endless variations of the same model boring ( I do, but many seem to like it ), but just objecting to too many different cars which happen to share the same name is a bit absurd in my opinion.

^^ Well said. 👍

People tend to forget this detail, we have many generations of Skylines in GT4, of course there's a lot of R33 and R34 models and variations, that's where the complains are located, I presume, but that doesn't change the facts, there's a lot of Skylines to enjoy in the game and they're quite different, spanning over decades and ranging from luxury coupés to racing breed machines. As there as many models which differ only in minor Specs or just even colors.

I can say that I want to have one or two difference Skyline of every generation but not so many as in the GT4. I will not have five difference Skyline in a generation it's too much.. But I like the R33 GT-R V-spec and GT-R from 1970 :P

The Skylines in GT4 were indeed spanning various generations and incarnations ( road/race ) and offered a lot of variety as they were mostly completely different cars only linked by a commonly shared moniker.
Who could be against that? Not saying this as a particularly Skyline-obsessed fanboy ( which I ain't ) but it is a hugely significant carname in Japan.
But they weren't. The skyline is really no different than many other car models. It ranges from the bottom of the range, small displacement, rwd car to a top of the range, 4wd "supercar". But it's the same base car that becomes those upper range models. So yet, it is like a golf, where you have the diesel and the 1.4l at one end, and you have the GTI and r20/r32 at the other.
All share the same body be it 2rd or 4dr, during generations. The r32 had 7 different models/trims available, r33 had 7 models, and the r34 had 15 model/trim variations. All same car model with a wide range of trim and performance packages.
The skyline, and actually most other nissan cars, started out or were at some point, your everyday grocery getters. Once Japanese motorsports became popular, makers took their already available models and tuned them. That how we got the sti, the evo, the gt-r, etc.

I can say that I want to have one or two difference Skyline of every generation but not so many as in the GT4. I will not have five difference Skyline in a generation it's too much.. But I like the R33 GT-R V-spec and GT-R from 1970 :P
Thankfully PD don't agree. Let's not get into this skyline discussion all over again. I'd rather have 40 skylines and 950 other cars instead of 20 skylines and still only 950 other cars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back