GT6 Official Car List Impressions/Thoughts

• Thread starter Prototyp3
  • 987 comments
I know I'm not.

I'd sooner have a nice list of classic Ferrari's than brand new hypercars like the Veyron.

Oh wait, they're already in GT6.

In other words, I think the Veyron is enough for the super/hyper car depth to be honest.
Personally, I prefer older and newer muscle cars, and I know I am in the minority here, but that is what GT is all about. The love of all types of cars, not just supercars. I never even use the Veyron in GT5. We have old/new, muscle/super and a variety of different racecars......more than enough to keep you busy.

that is what GT is all about. The love of all types of cars, not just supercars.

Now that is what car depth in a car game is, which is why the 1200 (approx) cars (even with a lot of them as padding) in GT6 is far superior to FM5's car list, because it's not just a cross-section, with a heavy bias on the new, there's more cars per era in this iteration.

In an attempt to get the thread back on topic, I must say I am a little with the Subaru line-up so far. Can we please get something other than the newer Impreza models, PD? The older ones need some premium love and a premium Legacy would have been nice too.

I posted this in the Car List thread but it's worth repeating:

Credit to @dacc10 who may have discovered the reason why two Huayras are on the list:

The 2013 Huayra with the Track Pack car comes with the splitter it seems:

Whereas the road going standard version doesn't seem to:

A couple things as we are all making assumptions anyway...

Car list; not many new cars, but a big car list... If I was to define a monitization strategy for dlc it would involve newer hyped cars at relevant times. So ill squeeze out all the existing cars with a few new cars in the release, saving some bigger items to ensure the dlcs have a better chance to succeed. Tracks included, timed to a premier event, even better, both cars and tracks together and create a theme. This isn't limited to manufacture or race series... Hint? Many of the missing cars are either a batch, or ones that would fit nicely in a package/theme and naturally in demand... It just makes sense when there is a clear long term plan for a single product.

Race series; never going to happen. Licensing a readies requires representing the series in its entirety. This is why F1 games are so hard to do, and other series are simply passed over as they aren't as popular or have a large enough fan base to justify the millions in development. But cars follow a slightly different rule and this is why we see some with blurred sponsors on some cars... They are also the property of a team, only governed by a series and manufacture.

Generic race rules; man I wish! But this is the opposite of the series representation in that it would be allowing their cars governed by a series to run in another series if even in digital form, due traction from the series and arguably miss representing them leading to false pr...

Perhaps I'm being foolishly ignorant or hoping through creativity that pd will find ways around things... Or just to make myself feel better but this release is no different than any GT release before other than it appears to be launching on time...?

Personally, I like the car list. It's definitely got more European and American flavor in it. Though, there are a couple of cars that I think should have made it...

Aston Martin DB5
BMW M1
BMW M3 (E30)
BMW M5 (E39)
Chevy Sonic RS
Chevy SS (street version)
Chevy Camaro Z/28 (2014)
Ferrari Testarossa
Ferrari F50
Ferrari 355
Ferrari 550 Maranello
Ferrari F12 Berlinetta
Ferrari LaFerrari
Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (go on, laugh at me. I love these things.)
Maserati MC12
McLaren P1
Mercedes C63 AMG Black Series
Pagani Zonda Cinque
Saab 900 Turbo
Saab 9-3 Viggen
Volvo S60 R-Design

Without those in the game, I can manage. But, I'd be happy if they came via DLC.

The DB5S won at pebble Beach, so that'll be in at some point. What exactly are the differences between that and the db5?

The DB5S won at pebble Beach, so that'll be in at some point. What exactly are the differences between that and the db5?
That was the DB3S.
aston-martin-db3s-2-640x426.jpg

And this is the DB5.
3dp1_2415447b.jpg

I, for one, am pretty happy with the car list.

There is a lot of variety, and it looks like PD tried to fill in some of the gaps from the GT5 car list and included a lot more classic premium cars. Feel like there is something for everyone in the list. No matter what they put in the game though, somebody's favourite car won't be included and they will be disappointed.

It's interesting that some people are complaining that there are too many cars, too many duplicates, skylines, miatas, etc. and some people are complaining that there is too few new cars. I think both of these criticisms are unfair and short-sighted.

1) Given the amount of detail in a premium car, I think that 124 is a good number. When they were making GT5 they said it took them months just to model the SLS AMG.

2) The "duplicates" are standard cars so porting them over from GT5, I assume, requires little work. It's not like they are making 30 premium skylines at the expense of other cars.

I can totoally sympathize with PD including many different versons of the same car. They are passionate about Japanese cars and want to include different model years. I imagine changing a 95 RX-7 to a 96 RX-7 is a lot easier than modeling a brand new car. So again, I don't feel like these "duplicates" are in the game at the expense of other cars, especially since they are standard models.

Just combed through the official cat list via the front page and I have to say I'm unimpressed.

Where is the McLaren P1?

Where is the Ferrari LaFerrari (F-150)?

Where is the Koenigsegg Agera R? Or Koenigsegg in general for that matter?

Where is the Lamborghini Sesto Elemento? Or the Veneno?
I feel like they'll be added on later on as DLC. So don't get too bummed out. There's still hope!

I'm quite thrilled to see the Audi Auto Union '37 return, as I never had the chance of piloting it in GT4.. Could be nice with a "standard" (Caterham) interior, or, even better, premiumised! :)

Yet, I'm saddened to realise I only get to play with this love on GT2..
Opel_Tigra_Ice_Race_Car.jpg

I really wonder as to the reason there is a significant lack of current day, normal production cars in the car list. In past GTs, sure we wouldn't get the most popular cars, but we would still get a fair amount of current dealership models. We know that there are many that were promised to be in game (Mercedes, Hyundai, etc.), so my speculation and question to everyone is, do you think Sony or PD is just holding out these cars to be used as DLC or do you think the car list is just incomplete and we'll get another bunch of cars at release?

I really wonder as to the reason there is a significant lack of current day, normal production cars in the car list. In past GTs, sure we wouldn't get the most popular cars, but we would still get a fair amount of current dealership models. We know that there are many that were promised to be in game (Mercedes, Hyundai, etc.), so my speculation and question to everyone is, do you think Sony or PD is just holding out these cars to be used as DLC or do you think the car list is just incomplete and we'll get another bunch of cars at release?
I was thinking the same thing. Where are all the FR sedans and sports cars in the 200-400 hp range? I have a feeling that online racing in the 400-500PP range will be almost all the same cars from GT5 if you want to be competitive.

I was thinking the same thing. Where are all the FR sedans and sports cars in the 200-400 hp range? I have a feeling that online racing in the 400-500PP range will be almost all the same cars from GT5 if you want to be competitive.

We really need more FR sedan's like, MarkII's, Chaser's, Laurel's and a lonesome E39 M5!

Admittedly the released list isn't showing the new Mercs, so the E63 might fill the FR sedan gap so long as it's not the 4Matic model - amazingly, the XFR still hasn't been brought up to Premium status too. But yeah, I see what you mean; other than the historic oddities, the new cars seem to predominantly lie in either starter-hatch, hot-hatch, supercar, or race car categories. And those historic cars will probably not be competitive unless the tire model (and tire mods) are massively overhauled from GT5. Skinny old tires just won't allow for much.

Fans aren't pleaseable either. :rolleyes:

Eh, yes and no. Admittedly we're the fringe, the hardcore fans who join communities online to discuss the game, when most never will. But I know I've been pretty satisfied with other games' car lineups, more so than GT5's (or 6's). GT has the wider range, but it's so scatter shot that there's too many significant gaps for my tastes, at least compared to the other games I play more often. The excellent track list for GT6 is far more impressive to me than the released new car info.

Eh, yes and no. Admittedly we're the fringe, the hardcore fans who join communities online to discuss the game, when most never will. But I know I've been pretty satisfied with other games' car lineups, more so than GT5's (or 6's). GT has the wider range, but it's so scatter shot that there's too many significant gaps for my tastes, at least compared to the other games I play more often. The excellent track list for GT6 is far more impressive to me than the released new car info.
I wholeheartedly agree with the tracks being a great selection and to your response to tankuroded's quote. Yes, PD has done a lot of work answering, to the best of their small staff abilities, the request for "certain cars" by the community over the past few years. However, it seems like in doing so they had to neglect the would-be-obvious choices for current cars found in most rival games now. I am pleased that they are getting work done, but then somewhat unsatisfied in the order of their priorities. Now I would think they are focusing on fixing the lighting & framerate hiccups and also developing a new sound engine. Once those issues are resolved, I believe they should have plenty spare time to play catch-up with their car modeling.

Lastly, another question that floats through my head is updated cars vs body kits. We know in GT5 some base model cars were able to get an updated face lift through a change of bumper or aero making it appear like the top model. (e.g. Gallardo + Aero kit = Gallardo Superleggera wannabe) But do you think that would hold for many cars whose chassis remained the same but whose appearance has changed over the years?

E.g. - Pre 2009 RX-8 (GT5 without rear spoiler)
800px-Mazda_RX8.jpg

2009 RX-8 (GT5-6 with updated body kits?)
2008-mazda-rx8-facelift-motorauthority-001_100217018_l.jpg

Admittedly the released list isn't showing the new Mercs, so the E63 might fill the FR sedan gap so long as it's not the 4Matic model - amazingly, the XFR still hasn't been brought up to Premium status too. But yeah, I see what you mean; other than the historic oddities, the new cars seem to predominantly lie in either starter-hatch, hot-hatch, supercar, or race car categories. And those historic cars will probably not be competitive unless the tire model (and tire mods) are massively overhauled from GT5. Skinny old tires just won't allow for much.

Don't forget the F10 M5 shown at the reveal event. (I'm still confident those cars will be in the game).

I wholeheartedly agree with the tracks being a great selection and to your response to tankuroded's quote. Yes, PD has done a lot of work answering, to the best of their small staff abilities, the request for "certain cars" by the community over the past few years. However, it seems like in doing so they had to neglect the would-be-obvious choices for current cars found in most rival games now. I am pleased that they are getting work done, but then somewhat unsatisfied in the order of their priorities. Now I would think they are focusing on fixing the lighting & framerate hiccups and also developing a new sound engine. Once those issues are resolved, I believe they should have plenty spare time to play catch-up with their car modeling.

The guys who work on car modeling probably don't have anything to do with sound, lighting, framerate etc. I'm fairly certain they are dedicated bunch that does nothing but modeling and therefore working on sound or lighting or anything else shouldn't impact car modeling in any way.

The guys who work on car modeling probably don't have anything to do with sound, lighting, framerate etc. I'm fairly certain they are dedicated bunch that does nothing but modeling and therefore working on sound or lighting or anything else shouldn't impact car modeling in any way.
True, thank you for that correction sir. I wonder how people make up the vehicle modeling team?

True, thank you for that correction sir. I wonder how people make up the vehicle modeling team?
I don't have a source but 35 is the number I recall, producing a car roughly every 5 days.

Really? Everyone seems to be bandying the terms "6 months to model a car" about.
35 people working 5 days = 175 man days = 1 car

A single car would still take 6 months, but on average they'll be kicking out a finished car every 5 days..sorry for the confusion.

Back