GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 33,798 comments
The best advice I think you are going to get is to spend some time watching replays and racing ghosts.

First I'll run laps dry until I feel I've hit my natural optimal time, using my own ghost set .3 seconds ahead.

Then, i like to find someone in the top 100 that drives somewhat like a "normal" person, in that they shift in a natural way and not in a way that would drop the transmission out of your car. Watch their lap several times noting gear shifts, braking/turning points and lines.

Load that ghost up, .3 seconds ahead, and run laps again correcting habits from my first run. That will usually get me pretty close to where I want to be to be competitive in the lobbies I'm trying to gain DR in.

From there is bashing your brains in for tenths of a second at a time to improve if your QT time starts to put below top 5 in the poles.
Thank you for the advice, yeah I go around the bush many times trying to find those missing tenths and hundredths. But I will say that it is worth the work and effort, I just have to utilize my surroundings and resources that are in the game.

Basically this. I've posted this video before, but it's yours truly in P1 doing my best to hold off a former-WS qualifier (who started from the back mind you).

All I was trying to do - against a driver who was much faster - was be in the way. No double moves, no moving under braking, no bumping (until the last chicane he did hit me). I was just trying to position my car to be where he wanted his car to be, holding the inside line, parking it on the apex, etc. 2.5 laps this little dance went on for. Fortunately for me, the Mustang is a monster on exits (although not so much on the turny bits)...

Won the race by .018" despite being bumped wide on the final chicane.

I agree, great job holding your position. That would never have happened against most of the people in the lobbies I race in, either intentionally or just lack of skill, you would have been in the sand. You overshot the last chicane, had he not been following so closely he would have passed on your overrun. At first glance, I thought he actually backed out because he bumped you as a courtesy.
Anyway, that’s a well deserved win, your cncentration was pretty amazing.

Question: In a real race, does a blue flag come out at some point? Or is that just great racing on a tight road course?

Last edited:
Decided to try my luck in Race C with the GR86 RZ '21, sporting my custom supersexy swingin' Starluster Ridge Racer livery.

I did 13 races. Totally not a bad omen and a sign of things to come!

I started Race 1 with a 2:10.820 QT, and improved it to 2:10.498 for Race 8. My rating dropped from a B/S to a C/S after Race 2, and went back up to a B/S after Race 12, where it still sits.

My best start was six P1s (worst was one P11), with five of them being consecutive. My best finish was three P1s (worst was one P14, last after DNFs), with two being my very first hat tricks. I finished P10 or better seven times.

Pretty miserable day overall, but I wanted to give it a fair shake. I should've been more stoked with the P1s, but they came in lobbies with drivers who had QTs that were almost a full two seconds slower.

Oh! Turns out it's pretty difficult to win a race from P1 when you're shoved off at the first corner of the first lap by the same P2 driver three races on a row (Race 8, 9, and 10). Whodathunkit. Once is an accident. Three times might be malicious. I barely salvaged two P7s and a P8 from those debacles.

I forgot to screenshot my first hat trick, so here's the second:

full

Three races in a row, bro:

Last edited:
Was great to see you again, that was a tough race there is a Canadian guy who is fast but only QT in 5th so he "makes" his way through the field....hero.

The SR hits have been toned down again, I honestly think PD were experimenting with something on that. I posted previously about it.

Also you can just call me Glen, that's the one I answer to when the wife plays the dinner triangle or whistles me to come sit..

You aren't accelerating or maintain the pace high enough. It takes a lot of time being comfortable doing it.

Why not spend 30 mins doing the CE with the viper through there, it helps with throttle and turn in timing 🤷‍♂️

Edit:

There is a topic I'd like to talk about specifically on this sub forum.

That is what do people think being defensive means in a racing context.

I'll leave it as open as that. The question is

What does defensive racing mean to you?
So, I just finished 5 races at Laguna Seca.
The defensive racing conversation here has been great, some slightly different techniques and Im sure there would be some minor differences of opinions on some of those techniques but, my take-away is that everyone that posts an opinion to your question cares about improving and racing clean.

I guarantee that no one in my C/B LS race was in your conversation. The general rule in those 5 races seemed to be that if you attempt a pass, you are going to get punted. If you slow down for a turn, you’re going to get punted, if you have a lead…(class, help me out here…) you are going to get punted 🤬

Decided to try my luck in Race C with the GR86 RZ '21, sporting my custom supersexy swingin' Starluster Ridge Racer livery.

I did 13 races. Totally not a bad omen and a sign of things to come!

I started Race 1 with a 2:10.820 QT, and improved it to 2:10.498 for Race 8. My rating dropped from a B/S to a C/S after Race 2, and went back up to a B/S after Race 12, where it still sits.

My best start was six P1s (worst was one P11), with five of them being consecutive. My best finish was three P1s (worst was one P14, last after DNFs), with two being my very first hat tricks. I finished P10 or better seven times.

Pretty miserable day overall, but I wanted to give it a fair shake. I should've been more stoked with the P1s, but they came in lobbies with drivers who had QTs that were almost a full two seconds slower.

Oh! Turns out it's pretty difficult to win a race from P1 when you're shoved off at the first corner of the first lap by the same P2 driver three races on a row (Race 8, 9, and 10). Whodathunkit. Once is an accident. Three times might be malicious. I barely salvaged two P7s and a P8 from those debacles.

I forgot to screenshot my first hat trick, so here's the second:

full

Three races in a row, bro:

Nice job on your victory man, :)

Hope you're having a great weekend so far! I went to the mall several hours ago and had fun, I went to the food court and got some hamburgers, fries, and for dessert I got some cookies and vanilla ice cream.

Last edited:
Nice job on your victory man, :)

Hope you're having a great weekend so far! I went to the mall several hours ago and had fun, I went to the food court and got some hamburgers, fries, and for dessert I got some cookies and vanilla ice cream.
Thank you. My afternoon was a mixed bag of me ruining my own races, and others giving me unsolicited assistance, but at least I looked good doing it. 😅

I'm jealous of your burgers and fries. I hope you made a sandwich with the ice cream and cookies. 👍

Hello everyone! I am new here so I apologize if this has already been talked about here.

I saw someone streaming live the testing of next weeks daily races. What is that about? Do selected users get the ”right” to test the future races so that polyphony can get some feedback on them early or something?

Also, is there a way of finding out what the races will be, so that I could customize some testing for myself as well if I have the time?

Hello everyone! I am new here so I apologize if this has already been talked about here.

I saw someone streaming live the testing of next weeks daily races. What is that about? Do selected users get the ”right” to test the future races so that polyphony can get some feedback on them early or something?

Also, is there a way of finding out what the races will be, so that I could customize some testing for myself as well if I have the time?
Just set up a lobby that's what they were doing.

Yes on Fridays gtsh-rank.com usually post the races but only basic details like track and tire compound.

Car options aren't known until they switch over on Monday mornings

Last edited:
I try to follow my opponents slipstreams too, and I usually try to block other people who are behind me so they won't take my position away. So in the fall/winter I will start making private and custom lobbies so I can follow you guys, I need a guide. I also need a roommate too, someone like a brother to me.

It's annoying when someone hits me, my car ghosts and then I can't fight back in the race.

Idk how much of the lobbies will help as I need to start doing practice laps on certain tracks to get better. My dad once said, "Chris if you want to achieve something, you gotta practice and work hard to get to that goal." I worked night and day during school/work in order to graduate from high school which I did.

@tyoungbl I spent 30 laps at LS the other day and only got a small improvement, 1'30.718. Before it was 1'30.999, that's not much.
ah, there you are. I was thinking about you last night 🤭
but seriously, I haven't seen if you use a wheel or controller. Just read, that you switch between Mt and at.

I am using a controller ever since, but, what I learned is , that it's easily 1,5 seconds per lap difference if I'm using different controller. maybe you are the rare occurrence, when the gear really is the problem. i am on ps4, but I guess with ps5 controllers it's even worse.

I agree, great job holding your position. That would never have happened against most of the people in the lobbies I race in, either intentionally or just lack of skill, you would have been in the sand. You overshot the last chicane, had he not been following so closely he would have passed on your overrun. At first glance, I thought he actually backed out because he bumped you as a courtesy.
Anyway, that’s a well deserved win, your cncentration was pretty amazing.

Question: In a real race, does a blue flag come out at some point? Or is that just great racing on a tight road course?
Yea, thanks. I would've felt a little ripped off had I lost after getting bumped there at the end. But, holistically, he was very clean throughout and since I still did manage to pull it off, it matters naught. It definitely takes two to tango when playing the little cat-and-mouse game, and agree with you... many aren't willing to play, they'll eventually just push you off. But battling someone turn-after-turn, lap-after-lap is the most fun thing in this game... especially with someone you can trust and they know they can trust you. I've been on both sides of it and it's great regardless.

And, I do agree with what others were saying: there is a time and a place. If this was for P8 at the beginning of a 15 lap race I'd have not fought like that as it does slow both people down ultimately compromising more positions. But given these circumstances and knowing how fast this guy was I decided I wanted to play ball. As they say, catching someone is one thing but passing them is another.

Blue flags are only for lapped cars. The blue flag is essentially telling the lapped car not to interfere with anyone who is about to lap them... aka stay out of the way; it has nothing to do with cars racing for position.

Heck, another from a recent GTWS race if anyone is interested... just trying to be where they want to be.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the info!
I always check their website once a week, good info to help prep early for the next week's races. Welcome to Gtplanet and the daily race forum if you're new. Watching replays and ghosts are good useful tools for getting better and quicker lap times out there. And you need at least 2 hours to study each section of the replays.

@GrumpyOldMan I was reading one of your old posts on page 327, and you said you owned a wheel, how's that going. My goal is to get a wheel maybe when I'm in my 40's. I'll turn 33 in September so i don't have many more years to go.

@Charmantha hey man, how's it been going for you, haven't seen you post in a while. Yeah, I'm trying to hang in there, I got discharged from the ER two weeks ago. I'll explain more about it later.

What does defensive racing mean to you?

In addition to the expected things;
  • Being slower mid-turn in order to maximise your exit and nullify the loss of speed from the tighter line. Eg: 28:19, I have more pace in me for this turn, but to speed through and drive up to the wall would have opened me up for the cutback.
  • Ensuring they get dirty air in high speed turns by not being off line
  • Not defending when you don't need to (29:27)
  • Defensive lines are a scale instead of On/Off, you don't have to be fully to the inside of the track if you don't need to be as this is the slowest, loitering near the middle can prevent a move while not slowing you down too much in the upcoming turn.
  • Not leaving more room than is required, be respectful and leave racing room, but its not your job to drive out of their way if they get on the inside, keep them tight to reduce their speed so you might be able to get on the power earlier out of the turn and hold the position (30:08 + 30:53)
  • Encourage the cars behind to battle and slow each other down by giving a tow to the car trying to pass them (30:35)

Some general assessing of the race situation to understand what your opponent might do. If its early in the race and you are fighting at the front, its less likely P2 will go full send into a high risk turn to not ruin the position they have. (29:50, I bet that he won't send it T1 and don't defend since it'll slow us both down greatly and theres a high chance of a crash)

If its late in the race or if you're fighting for lower positions drivers are more likely to have a 'who cares' attitude and the chance of contact is increased so you need to adjust how you drive.

Looking at the bigger picture, sometimes it's not worth defending if the car behind has caught you very quickly, you can let them pass without costing yourself total race time and then bump draft them along to break away from a chasing pack and cement a higher position, then battle later on.
It's important to understand when someone might be trying to bump draft you in order to build a gap, since if you are constantly defending hard to the inside you'll be much slower and keeping the chasing pack in play and cause frustration for the driver behind.

Video i've been referring to, I am the Lamborghini ahead and probably have the least pace of the top 3:

Edit: Tidgney did a great video i'll link on examples of good and bad overtaking, where he essentially teaches the racing rules of what you can and can't do and I agree with it all 100%, GT7 would be so much more fun if everyone drove like this. Tidgney overtaking video

Last edited:
Managed to get my QT down to 1.28.658 at Laguna, some decent racing to be had arvo at B/B
Great, I'm at 1'30.718. I may not bother with trying to reduce it anymore. We'll see how I feel today and tomorrow. Do you own a wheel? I wonder how many members on here own one, vs the pad/controller. If we could put the data down we could see why the aliens/mortals get the times they earn on each track.

I could narrow it down and start breaking my own records whenever possible. So, what is the best setting for the BB, CSA and TCS? And also I wonder about the ABS, because when I turn it on my tires do weird things whenever I turn through a corner.

Last edited:
That is bloody epic advice and that article nails a lot of it.

So I'll chip in now.

Defensive driving to me is about staying whole, it's not about positions or lines it's about the race around you. There are bad techniques like "covering the inside line" they don't wash well when someone lines up the later line exit. Or "switcheroo"

There are good strategies likes being on the apex ahead but slower...the driver behind has to manage frustration; perfectly fine.

My take on defence racing echos what you guys have said, finish the race well first and foremost, concede positions where it makes no sense to fight or complicate things.

Think overall race time as that's what matters, it shows speed and control.

But most importantly don't trust the people around you, give them space or take the park it on the apex bump forward.

Defensive driving is bringing it home, defensive racing is exactly the same but it's the willingness to compromise a position for the greater good.

What it isn't is weaving "to break the slip stream" what it isn't is "being unpredictable"

And mostly it's about self preservation first.

There is a whole load of finite details on positioning and they make sense but really it boils down to 2 things:

Race forwards and take a position

Race to the position you have taken. If you take the inside you can't "run wide" that's not how it works. Take the line you choose.

Be assertive but aware of the cars around you. They may have taken the outside line so are just as fast, your compromised line doesn't give you the right to run wide.

Defensive driving is evasiveness, time and space. Not track position or lines but clean racing and exits.

Be predictable, be clear in your moves clear in your position and signal intent early and clearly.

Accept you will have to drive with muppets, accept you will be rear ended at the apex occasionally

Accept other people should be ahead.

I always check their website once a week, good info to help prep early for the next week's races. Welcome to Gtplanet and the daily race forum if you're new. Watching replays and ghosts are good useful tools for getting better and quicker lap times out there. And you need at least 2 hours to study each section of the replays.

@GrumpyOldMan I was reading one of your old posts on page 327, and you said you owned a wheel, how's that going. My goal is to get a wheel maybe when I'm in my 40's. I'll turn 33 in September so i don't have many more years to go.

@Charmantha hey man, how's it been going for you, haven't seen you post in a while. Yeah, I'm trying to hang in there, I got discharged from the ER two weeks ago. I'll explain more about it later.
My last post was in the gt sport daily races forum. We had a good time there also after many left and played GT7. There i was still using the old slow controller, with the 2nd new one i bought, i went straight from C to B and stayed there for months, 🥳
Hey '' man'' i love gran turismo for this. Until they go to my profile or write a message and see my profile photo, I'm always' bro', 'man' 'pal' 😘 I'm far from complaining here. I think i know at least 75% of all women, who drive in gran turismo.
Sorry, but i wanted to let you 'guys' know, how cool a male community is, if i can stay incognito 🥷

I wrote this earlier, but lost connection and message was gone.
I am at race B L. S. (los Santos obviously) 1.29.2xx Genesis tcs 0 (only the first u turn i switch to 2 and before the exit to 0 again.) bb 0,. Now whats kinda unbelievable, i put TCS to!!! 5!!! And finished right behind my best time. I think about 0.00.200 behind. How, and believe me it felt terrible, slow and won't turn in,my fingers hurt after 1 lap but still this relatively good result.

Last edited:
Great, I'm at 1'30.718. I may not bother with trying to reduce it anymore. We'll see how I feel today and tomorrow. Do you own a wheel? I wonder how many members on here own one, vs the pad/controller. If we could put the data down we could see why the aliens/mortals get the times they earn on each track.

I could narrow it down and start breaking my own records whenever possible. So, what is the best setting for the BB, CSA and TCS?

Your 1.30.7 is super impressive on a controller, I use a gt dd pro wheel and I have 0 tcs 0 csa and 0 bb

I’m heading for BS again so I’ll settle into top 6 I guess but also just bagged a 3 star win, which also brings a smile!

Attachments

• IMG_3515.jpeg
    IMG_3515.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 2
Hey '' man'' i love gran turismo for this. Until they go to my profile or write a message and see my profile photo, I'm always' bro', 'man' 'pal' 😘 I'm far from complaining here. I think i know at least 75% of all women, who drive in gran turismo.
Sorry, but i wanted to let you 'guys' know, how cool a male community is, if i can stay incognito 🥷

I wrote this earlier, but lost connection and message was gone.
I am at race B L. S. (los Santos obviously) 1.29.2xx Genesis tcs 0 (only the first u turn i switch to 2 and before the exit to 0 again.) bb 0,. Now whats kinda unbelievable, i put TCS to!!! 5!!! And finished right behind my best time. I think about 0.00.200 behind. How, and believe me it felt terrible, slow and won't turn in,my fingers hurt after 1 lap but still this relatively good result.
It is always rewarding putting all the hard work in, well I'm off to go get some lunch, I'll be back this late afternoon once I finish eating. Bye everyone for now. Food and drinks motivate me to drive faster. Maybe I should start setting goals for gt7 and have food items as rewards.

Lol, I had breakfast early at 5-6am this morning so I'm getting my lunch early for later on at noon.

Last edited:

Pretty much done with Laguna Seca. I think it brings out the worst.
I thought I had gotten through all of the crap but I was mistaken. The final bump looks fairly innocuous but they both had been banging doors pretty hard trying to push people off course and not just with me but each other. I’m sure the guy that I get shoved into thinks it was intentional on my part.
I think I will move on now and start practicing Kyoto Driving Park early

Last edited:
Race B is tough going this week 🙈 I got covid again so I had some small time to give it a go. I hate laguna, not because I hate the track, more because its a track that invites bad driving. I have done 7 races so far and can count myself lucky that I am still holding my own with high C/S rating. 1.30.032 was a respectable quali time but the actual races are just chaos. I have been lucky just to survive with my rating still intact..hopefully next week might bring something a bit more interesting

1719081249412.png

Sing along with me now (and who knew this song was so apropo?)

"All around me are familiar faces
Worn-out places, worn-out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere
Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, no expression
Hide my head, I wanna drown my sorrow
I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take
When people run in circles, it's a very very
Mad world, mad world"

I've only ever played with a wheel!

I'm back. To answer your question, idk. I know Goodwood will be the track for Race C. I hope the fuel will be enough if I attempt racing there next week.

Dare I ask what is coming next week?

Edit: Tidgney did a great video i'll link on examples of good and bad overtaking, where he essentially teaches the racing rules of what you can and can't do and I agree with it all 100%, GT7 would be so much more fun if everyone drove like this. Tidgney overtaking video
This video is really good.

What would be a cool idea for PD would be to take scenarios like these and make them part of the licence tests, grading you on whether you did the right thing or not. That way people who don't necessarily watch racing to know the rules could learn them in a practical manner, rather than through the "What is Sportsmanship" video most people probably don't even pay attention to.

This video is really good.

What would be a cool idea for PD would be to take scenarios like these and make them part of the licence tests, grading you on whether you did the right thing or not. That way people who don't necessarily watch racing to know the rules could learn them in a practical manner, rather than through the "What is Sportsmanship" video most people probably don't even pay attention to.
I've said this exact same thing. And it should be required before entering Sport Mode. Forget about getting to menu 9 or whatever, just require a Sport Mode license. Things like:

-Hitting the proper braking zone for T1 at Monza. Then doing it again while in a draft.
-Being able to hold the inside line throughout a whole sector. Hit the cones (or an AI car on teh outside) and you fail.
-Same as above but for the outside lane
-Drive defensively from a faster car (pinging Sophy). If you don't hold you line, if you move under braking, etc. you fail.
-Attacking a car that's driving defensively.
-Coming back onto the track safely.

Yadda yadda yadda

@Nakano219

Good idea. I think that's where most of Sport Mode is failing at. They don't watch the Sportsmanship video which is required to take part in online races.

And another thing PD should do, make a system where if any driver rams, punts, swideswipe anyone or break any rules their car disappears and they are immediately disqualified from the race.

@Talon16 do you agree?

Back