GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 33,798 comments
My theory is that many of the fast QT drivers are on the edge of disaster much of the time. This is great for getting a good qualifying time however, your odds of not completing a race go up exponentially if you try to keep that pace.
You can look at it another way, the faster guys are typically better overall drivers with better car control and spatial awareness.

They also are a much smaller pool of players so consistently race the same people a lot of the time. So QT is more important. In an all A+ mid to high level it's a lot more difficult to overtake cleanly so they settle for where they started most of the time there are exceptions to this though.

It doesn't quite feel right to think they crash more than other levels and conversely I'd say consistency and pace helps them to avoid crashing in the first place?

Just a different view on the anecdotal data.

You can look at it another way, the faster guys are typically better overall drivers with better car control and spatial awareness.

They also are a much smaller pool of players so consistently race the same people a lot of the time. So QT is more important. In an all A+ mid to high level it's a lot more difficult to overtake cleanly so they settle for where they started most of the time there are exceptions to this though.

It doesn't quite feel right to think they crash more than other levels and conversely I'd say consistency and pace helps them to avoid crashing in the first place?

Just a different view on the anecdotal data.
I totally agree with that. There are the top drivers in every category that are just good, all-around drivers and they are usually well ahead of the pack. There are fast C and D drivers also that you can tell are just passing through on their way to an A rating.
I’m addressing the many fast QT drivers where their fast QT doesn’t translate to races.
The stat I use to track my progress is my average race lap time for a given track. This includes shunts, getting caught in traffic because of a poor staring position, pits (tires/drive through) etc.
But, as stated here frequently, a better qualifying time definitely helps improve your race time.

Last edited:
I’m addressing the many fast QT drivers where their fast QT doesn’t translate to races.
100% as this was me for a very long time.

If I compare my main account stats from launch to my alt account created 6 months ago and rarely raced on the difference in them is massive in relative terms.

%wise more pole conversions to wins
%wise more top 5 finishes
%wise more clean races on much few races

And got to higher rankings fast so the competitive side was tougher earlier than my original main account

Edit:

But I was considerably better driver than when I started so while not guaranteed it does set you up a lot better if your pace is much quicker as you rank up until you hit your natural level.

I think lobbies make or break a lot of peoples experience as well.

Being mid pack with say less experienced racers who think racing is winning or are just massively clumsy like missing brake markers trying to overtake in really bad places etc it is what inspires people to try and QT better.

It forces practice (dressed up in another way)

This has a collateral practical benefit in that it forces you to consciously or subconsciously learn the track and control the car better.

Better track knowledge, better car control and more race experience will mean you are improving relative to those around you. There is a plateau that you will hit that requires even more mastery but the same thing will happen etc

Last edited:
100% as this was me for a very long time.

If I compare my main account stats from launch to my alt account created 6 months ago and rarely raced on the difference in them is massive in relative terms.

%wise more pole conversions to wins
%wise more top 5 finishes
%wise more clean races on much few races

And got to higher rankings fast so the competitive side was tougher earlier than my original main account
Same here, my alternate is right at C/ low B. I originally created an alternate to absorb all of the early races where I’m learning a track and expected bad results but that account has now well surpassed my main account.

Hey,
I was on my first lap of qualifying today, Laguna Seca. Suddenly i remembered a Top Gear episode, wherein 'CLARKSON!' was driving a blue NSX on the same track on ps 3or maybe 2. The challenge was, if he could beat his time from gran Turismo in real life with exactly the same car.

I remember he could, but took him a whole day, or so.

That's what i always say, especially when it comes to the nürburgring here. In reality it's totally different, the speed feels much faster, yeah it might be scarier, but more because of bikes, that pass you on the straight and suddenly park in the corner entry right in front of you (bikes are terrible slow going in some corners there, i learned that very fast) , while a 600kg golf1 with 100004bhp is overtaking you... But you feel the track, you see much more of it, it doesn't seem so terrible narrow and in general it's easier... Off topic? Not finished, yet, I'm referring also to the tuning fans in gt. 'nobody got time for that' no but seriously, the tuning we are allowed to do, doesn't make a Scirocco go faster than th gt70 for an example, it's just tweaking your car a bit. Most players just look for the best set up online and use that. And the car doesn't felt faster, you can't really feel tenths of a second anyway. And i remember how often i could not finish the set up of the g70 last time we were allowed to change the traction and suspension, because my ps4 lagged. And practicing till you get a good set up takes tooooo long,

Start, - goes well yeah-, first corner - off track, - back to garage adjusting. Doesn't sound that much fun.

Did i sound mean? Sorry didn't want to, or maybe i just feel English is such a hard sounding language.

By the way. Me laguna seca g70 1:30.216 since Monday i think

Losing mine on 5&6 and gain it back in the corkscrew. My entry/ exit to T6 is terrible, 3rd gear is too slow and 4th gear revs too low in the G70
3rd for 5 small coast and late power to run up the hill.

4th for 6 but you need to try and dab the brakes turn in early and keep the speed above 92mph+ before accelerating

The down shift quickly to 3rd is safer for the race but in QT less shifts and carrying the momentum are better even if it sometimes feels like it's chugging.

There is a sweet spot at 6 if you can just catch the curb and the side of the sausage you get a fraction more rotation and you can keep a higher apex speed and accelerate early. I'd only aim for it in QT though as a fast clean run is worth more than running it wide in to the gravel.

Last edited:
@Chris30
Hi Chris, you are welcome to join my Open Lobby.
I host open Lobbies daily and on a regular basis.

Most of the time it's GR3.
My Lobbies are very clean.
Everyone is welcome as long as you enter with a healthy mindset, which means Fair Play.
I guarantee you that you will learn everything you need to become a fast and trustworthy driver.
And most of all, you will have fun.
Because driving is all about enjoying yourself doing what you love to do.
Same goes for the other gtp members here too.
You are also welcome if you enjoy clean and fair racing.
Unfortunately I never ever see you guys in my lobbies despite having some of you on my friend's list.

I just had my first race of the week... on a Friday! Good to see @newmedia_dev (or should I say "Not @newmedia_dev"?). I started P9, finished P8, lost 19 SR points dropping me down to SR B (last week was a struggle for me, SR-wise). Losing only 19 SR points was a blessing, because I rear-ended someone starting the corkscrew. I waited for him, he managed to recover, and everything was hunky-dory (except for the -19 points).

The reason I waited so long to do a race was because I just could not consistently do laps without running off to the sandbox. But I finally figured out the main culprit, which is of course T6. I finally realized that, for me, I needed to brake while still going in a straight line, THEN make the turn. I know that's probably not the best method, but if I can't stay on the track, then why bother trying to race?

I expect to do more races, but I'm likely to end up dropping to SR C, which will force me back to DR B. Which is not the end of the world.

3rd for 5 small coast and late power to run up the hill.

4th for 6 but you need to try and dab the brakes turn in early and keep the speed above 92mph+ before accelerating

The down shift quickly to 3rd is safer for the race but in QT less shifts and carrying the momentum are better even if it sometimes feels like it's chugging.

There is a sweet spot at 6 if you can just catch the curb and the side of the sausage you get a fraction more rotation and you can keep a higher apex speed and accelerate early. I'd only aim for it in QT though as a fast clean run is worth more than running it wide in to the gravel.
That’s pretty close to what I’m doing, I’m afraid of the sand coming out of 6 and have been more than a “dab” going in and losing way too much inertia. When I look in my mirror, out of 6, cars are all of a sudden flying up on me. Now, at times, Ive created a road block, forcing trailing drivers ill-advised passes. That’s why I was experimenting with 3rd, so as to stay off the brakes.
Heading to The Cave now to give it another try.
A lot of drivers seem to be having issues as well, all-in-all I’m finishing ahead of some low level B (…yes, bad B) drivers. But when I get thrown into a B race and start 15th, not much good is going to happen on that track.

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't know about your lobbies. Or maybe I DID know, but have forgotten. I'm old...🤣
Being an ol'fart doesn't equal being senile 😁 maybe you WANTED to forget about my lobbies but you're always welcome too... the door is open... even right now 😄

I just had my first race of the week... on a Friday! Good to see @newmedia_dev (or should I say "Not @newmedia_dev"?). I started P9, finished P8, lost 19 SR points dropping me down to SR B (last week was a struggle for me, SR-wise). Losing only 19 SR points was a blessing, because I rear-ended someone starting the corkscrew. I waited for him, he managed to recover, and everything was hunky-dory (except for the -19 points).

The reason I waited so long to do a race was because I just could not consistently do laps without running off to the sandbox. But I finally figured out the main culprit, which is of course T6. I finally realized that, for me, I needed to brake while still going in a straight line, THEN make the turn. I know that's probably not the best method, but if I can't stay on the track, then why bother trying to race?

I expect to do more races, but I'm likely to end up dropping to SR C, which will force me back to DR B. Which is not the end of the world.
Was great to see you again, that was a tough race there is a Canadian guy who is fast but only QT in 5th so he "makes" his way through the field....hero.

The SR hits have been toned down again, I honestly think PD were experimenting with something on that. I posted previously about it.

Also you can just call me Glen, that's the one I answer to when the wife plays the dinner triangle or whistles me to come sit..
That’s pretty close to what I’m doing, I’m afraid of the sand coming out of 6 and have been more than a dab going in and losing way too much inertia. When I look in my mirror, out of 6, cars are all of a sudden flying up on me. Now, at times, Ive created a road block, forcing trailing drivers ill-advised passes. That’s why I was experimenting with 3rd, so as to stay off the brakes.
Heading to The Cave now to give it another try

You aren't accelerating or maintain the pace high enough. It takes a lot of time being comfortable doing it.

Why not spend 30 mins doing the CE with the viper through there, it helps with throttle and turn in timing 🤷‍♂️

Edit:

There is a topic I'd like to talk about specifically on this sub forum.

That is what do people think being defensive means in a racing context.

I'll leave it as open as that. The question is

What does defensive racing mean to you?

Last edited:
For wahetver reason, somehow I'm having loads of fun in race C this week.

I did almost twenty this week, on different accounts (low B/A up to middle A/S). Although the SR system here is a complete mystery to me. Is the way how SR gains or losses are applied connected to the ranks of the lobbies you are in? Seems to me that for the same amount of contacts for which I lose SR in the lower lobbies, I may keep or even gain SR in the higher ones. Or is this just my imagination?

I had one utterly bizarre race in a high B/S lobby. Not the race itself, but the chat afterwards. Although the race went as usual, lots of reckless driving, punting, leaning and pushing, the chat afterwards was buzzing with friendliness. Everyone was like "sorry", "no problem", "congratulations", "well done", "nice to meet you", "thanks for the clean race", "let's race again". Never seen that after such a kind of race. I felt the urge to look around if there was some hidden camera pointing at me...🤣

Which doesn't mean that I didn't like it. I did.

Moving only once across straights (not weaving).
Not moving during braking.
Hugging the inside line to force a driver to go around you - essentially moving off the racing line to block your position.
Or
Not surrendering your spot on the racing line to force the other driver to find a way around you.

If you're in front and not violating the first two points, you're entitled to the space on track imo.

What's your definition?

Was great to see you again, that was a tough race there is a Canadian guy who is fast but only QT in 5th so he "makes" his way through the field....hero.

The SR hits have been toned down again, I honestly think PD were experimenting with something on that. I posted previously about it.

Also you can just call me Glen, that's the one I answer to when the wife plays the dinner triangle or whistles me to come sit..

You aren't accelerating or maintain the pace high enough. It takes a lot of time being comfortable doing it.

Why not spend 30 mins doing the CE with the viper through there, it helps with throttle and turn in timing 🤷‍♂️

Edit:

Defensive Driving

When someone comes flying up on me or, no matter how hard I’m driving they are gaining on me, I move over and give up the position, meaning I move out of the racing line. I’d rather finish top 5 than 16th.

Other than that, I hold my line. I will not go back and forth to block, only one move or just hold my line to aggressive drivers.

Sometimes, holding my line means drifting wide on the exit. If you’re trying to pass there, you may get carried out wide with me.

I also like slowing and taking the inside pass although I think this move works better in lower levels than with more quality drivers.

I Will Not Bash.

I review a lot of my races, one of the things I’m looking for is bad, overly aggressive driving on my part and sometimes I find it. Even though it may be unintentional, its hard to tell sometimes.

Also, I’m far from being a pro, I make mistakes.

Last edited:
Except in limited cases, to me it means driving with a negative counter productive attitude.

Number 1 reason I rarely do it is, simply that it slows me down, and the last thing I want in a race is to slow myself down.

The two main cases where it is a valid strategy are:
  • You're preventing a slower driver getting in front, typically in traffic, which will of course then slow you down afterwards. Hence worth temporarily slowing myself down to keep them behind me until I can pull clear.
  • It's close enough to the end of the race, that on balance it's a good strategic call to sacrifice a bit of time to keep a faster driver back for the remaining part of the race.
There's a great article here that I think could help a number of folks from these parts, especially those who are both defensive and find themselves getting assaulted from behind more often than they'd like.

Defensive driving

I‘ll try to let enough place for other drivers when they close or at my side and there is enough room.
I hate to get pushed out, when people think there is enough room, but it is not. when a driver is much faster (close up very fast) i let him go. i agree with the definition from A_Higher_Place.

I’d say it’s putting the car in a place on the track where you control the corner and make it difficult to pass you.

Around a track you will have sectors where you are faster than others and not as fast as others here so keeping someone behind fairly is the key

There's a great article here that I think could help a number of folks from these parts
That is bloody epic advice and that article nails a lot of it.

So I'll chip in now.

Defensive driving to me is about staying whole, it's not about positions or lines it's about the race around you. There are bad techniques like "covering the inside line" they don't wash well when someone lines up the later line exit. Or "switcheroo"

There are good strategies likes being on the apex ahead but slower...the driver behind has to manage frustration; perfectly fine.

My take on defence racing echos what you guys have said, finish the race well first and foremost, concede positions where it makes no sense to fight or complicate things.

Think overall race time as that's what matters, it shows speed and control.

But most importantly don't trust the people around you, give them space or take the park it on the apex bump forward.

Defensive driving is bringing it home, defensive racing is exactly the same but it's the willingness to compromise a position for the greater good.

What it isn't is weaving "to break the slip stream" what it isn't is "being unpredictable"

And mostly it's about self preservation first.

There is a whole load of finite details on positioning and they make sense but really it boils down to 2 things:

Race forwards and take a position

Race to the position you have taken. If you take the inside you can't "run wide" that's not how it works. Take the line you choose.

Be assertive but aware of the cars around you. They may have taken the outside line so are just as fast, your compromised line doesn't give you the right to run wide.

Defensive driving is evasiveness, time and space. Not track position or lines but clean racing and exits.

Be predictable, be clear in your moves clear in your position and signal intent early and clearly.

Accept you will have to drive with muppets, accept you will be rear ended at the apex occasionally

Accept other people should be ahead.

Moving only once across straights (not weaving).
Not moving during braking.
Hugging the inside line to force a driver to go around you - essentially moving off the racing line to block your position.
Or
Not surrendering your spot on the racing line to force the other driver to find a way around you.

If you're in front and not violating the first two points, you're entitled to the space on track imo.

What's your definition?
I usually try to stick to my fastest qualifying line going into turn 1 after a long straight, I hate getting forced into a speed and/or gear selection that may force me into a line/brake point I don’t have much experience on. Not that I can’t do it, it’s just not preferred.

If someone is faster than me on a straight, I let them by for theses two reasons:
If they are actually slower, I’d rather ride their bumper until they make a mistake instead of them doing that to me.
If they are truly faster, I’ll never see them again anyway, I’d rather it be on a straight.

Last edited:
I try to follow my opponents slipstreams too, and I usually try to block other people who are behind me so they won't take my position away. So in the fall/winter I will start making private and custom lobbies so I can follow you guys, I need a guide. I also need a roommate too, someone like a brother to me.

It's annoying when someone hits me, my car ghosts and then I can't fight back in the race.

Idk how much of the lobbies will help as I need to start doing practice laps on certain tracks to get better. My dad once said, "Chris if you want to achieve something, you gotta practice and work hard to get to that goal." I worked night and day during school/work in order to graduate from high school which I did.

@tyoungbl I spent 30 laps at LS the other day and only got a small improvement, 1'30.718. Before it was 1'30.999, that's not much.

Last edited:
I try to follow my opponents slipstreams too, and I usually try to block other people who are behind me so they won't take my position away. So in the fall/winter I will start making private and custom lobbies so I can follow you guys, I need a guide. I also need a roommate too, someone like a brother to me.

It's annoying when someone hits me, my car ghosts and then I can't fight back in the race.

Idk how much of the lobbies will help as I need to start doing practice laps on certain tracks to get better. My dad once said, "Chris if you want to achieve something, you gotta practice and work hard to get to that goal." I worked night and day during school/work in order to graduate from high school which I did.

@tyoungbl I spent 30 laps at LS the other day and only got a small improvement, 1'30.718. Before it was 1'30.999, that's not much.

The best advice I think you are going to get is to spend some time watching replays and racing ghosts.

First I'll run laps dry until I feel I've hit my natural optimal time, using my own ghost set .3 seconds ahead.

Then, i like to find someone in the top 100 that drives somewhat like a "normal" person, in that they shift in a natural way and not in a way that would drop the transmission out of your car. Watch their lap several times noting gear shifts, braking/turning points and lines.

Load that ghost up, .3 seconds ahead, and run laps again correcting habits from my first run. That will usually get me pretty close to where I want to be to be competitive in the lobbies I'm trying to gain DR in.

From there is bashing your brains in for tenths of a second at a time to improve if your QT time starts to put below top 5 in the poles.

Basically this. I've posted this video before, but it's yours truly in P1 doing my best to hold off a former-WS qualifier (who started from the back mind you).

All I was trying to do - against a driver who was much faster - was be in the way. No double moves, no moving under braking, no bumping (until the last chicane he did hit me). I was just trying to position my car to be where he wanted his car to be, holding the inside line, parking it on the apex, etc. 2.5 laps this little dance went on for. Fortunately for me, the Mustang is a monster on exits (although not so much on the turny bits)...

Won the race by .018" despite being bumped wide on the final chicane.

Last edited:
Back