GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,301 comments
What a really mixed bag this all is.

Spent 45 mins or so racing Sophy in the <3 E36 and that car felt awesome on sport softs although it is no where near as raw as the real car when at the upper end of the Rev range.

Go back to the race cars and something feels not quite right, it might be my settings (I've gone back to AS) or just something about race cars and curbs now? More laps will tell I guess.

What a really mixed bag this all is.

Spent 45 mins or so racing Sophy in the <3 E36 and that car felt awesome on sport softs although it is no where near as raw as the real car when at the upper end of the Rev range.

Go back to the race cars and something feels not quite right, it might be my settings (I've gone back to AS) or just something about race cars and curbs now? More laps will tell I guess.
Feels more floaty if that makes sense and definitely more kerb sensitive

Feels more floaty if that makes sense and definitely more kerb sensitive
I think that's a good description, but the floatiness is only laterally, I don't sense it under braking or the rear squatting when accelerating hard.

Its like the cars bounce off of the curbs more but with moon gravity (extreme phrasing here :P ) and you get this weird feeling that the car takes ages to settle again 🤷‍♂️

I am very puzzled about a thing - perhaps you guys can enlighten me:
This week I have done race B at Spa about 30 times. I have been fluctuating between upper C and lower B with a QT of about 2:21 (SR: S, european lobbys).
Race after race I have had so much fun. So much great racing and not a single hostile incident. At times, yes, there has been aggresive driving, and off course some incidents because of lacking skills - my own included. A couple of times I had to check the replays, but I never found any reason to call ANY of the other drivers dirty. I have done terrible races and superb races and learned quite a lot of racecraft. It has been quite awesome.

I can’t quite get my head around why, if I read e.g. comments on youtube about GT7 sport mode, 99.9% of people are saying that the racing is an absolute horror show, and out of those people, about 50% are saying things like “yes, that is why I gave up racing online”.
The only explanation I can think of is that perhaps US lobbys are bad? It is off course a factor, that online people are a bit more prone to complain than to be cheerful about stuff, but the angry voices are just so overwhelmingly massive. Maybe the dirty drivers are on vacation? Or …?
Different times of the day bring different crowds. I’m at the same exact level that you are and I’ve generally found that, in a full B lobby, the racing is hard and there is contact but, so far, it hasn’t been malicious or vindictive like it can be in C/D lobbies…most of the time.
One thing that I’ve discovered is that I can judge the quality of the drivers and what you’ll be facing.
My QT is currently 2:20.9, if that puts me top 3 on the grid (early mornings) you can stay in front of the crap in the back. It can still get pretty ugly back there (I review most race replays).
If 2:20.9 puts me way back in 10th (usually in the evenings) then I’m the crap. Average race laps tend to be 2 seconds faster than my lap times and cars can get a little frustrated with me and do some nudging, but it’s not the banging that you see in C/D.
I think what people consider “dirty driving” may have different meanings as you get to a higher rated lobby.
The advantage of having dirty drivers is that they can clear a path for you. In the B races I’ve been in, there have been fewer crashes that advance my position.
What I can say about the B lobby is that I’m a long way from a win but, even those back of the pack finishes are improving my driving skills, just being around better drivers. I can tell as soon as I get dumped back into a C lobby that I’m improving.

Last edited:
Different times of the day bring different crowds. I’m at the same exact level that you are and I’ve generally found that in a full B lobby, the racing is hard and there is contact but, so far, it hasn’t been malicious or vindictive like it can be in C/D lobbies…most of the time.
One thing that I’ve discovered is that I can judge the quality of the drivers and what you’ll be facing.
My QT is currently 2:20.9, if that puts me top 3 on the grid (early mornings) you can stay in front of the crap in the back. It can still get pretty ugly back there (I review most race replays).
If 2:20.9 puts me way back in 10th (usually in the evenings) then I’m the crap. Average race laps tend to be 2 seconds faster than my lap times and cars can get a little frustrated with me and do some nudging, but it’s not the banging that you see in C/D.
I think what people consider “dirty driving” may have different meanings as you get to a higher rated lobby.
The advantage of having dirty drivers is that they can clear a path for you. In the B races I’ve been in, there have been quite a few less crashes that advance my position.
What I can say about the B lobby is that I’m a long way from a win but, even those back of the pack finishes are improving my driving skills, just being around better drivers, I can tell this as soon as I get dumped back into a C lobby that I’m improving.
Better drivers in B? You haven't bumped into <meme driver> yet have you 🤣🤣🤣 I was in a race with him earlier, he was on pole an I was p2. I knew what was coming and I said to my wife, 'watch this, he will take me out' sure enough we went around the first hairpin and on the run down to Eau Rouge he stuck me into the pit wall 🤬🤬🤬🙈 ended up dead last but recovered to 6th as he had ruined the lobby and they all started at each other 🙈

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody is hitting the times they did pre patch outside of aliens.

The way the cars slide now is so weird and the fact I'm now running in game 8 for torque just to feel the turn in and weight of the car.

I'm starting to see what they have done and there is a fine line between "physics update" and we have made "gameplay choices" I think it's the latter if I'm being honest.

Going in to my first race now but after QT either I was over achieving massively or this is changed for a very different driving style.

Very very odd feeling now driving these cars but I'm not sure what is improved, just different. Not better, not worse just different.

Better drivers in B? You haven't bumped into <meme driver (to save Admin censoring my message as well as yours)> yet have you 🤣🤣🤣 I was in a race with him earlier, he was on pole an I was p2. I knew what was coming and I said to my wife, 'watch this, he will take me out' sure enough we went around the first hairpin and on the run down to Eau Rouge he stuck me into the pit wall 🤬🤬🤬🙈 ended up dead last but recovered to 6th as he had ruined the lobby and they all started at each other 🙈
I think the A drivers have got the hang of dealing with him better. Last time I came across him at Autopolis he pushed off track the driver ahead of me. Didn't cost him too much time, the recovering driver was catching me up fast. I couldn't have been keener to let him past, saying in my head "Sic him boy", sure enough he did, bumped him off on the long right hander at the end of the lap.

Other than <meme driver> I've only come across one other driver in A/S I'd consider deliberately dirty that will need to be handled 'differently to usual' if we're ever in a fight for position again.

Spa is actually best track in GT7, so I usually hop in when it shows up. Anyone familiar with SCUD Race or Super GT would have recognized my McLaren just after midnight GMT -6. I didn't do too well in that race, as the F1 is a tad temperamental. I switched to the special pink livery 911 RSR I was given last year and made the podium in the next race.
If you're having trouble with this track, grind the 1 hour race here. On Easy you should be able to win with just about any 700pp car. On hard you should be able to win with 770pp or less.
Here are my thoughts, written with the 911 RSR and RM tires in mind. If possible soften the suspension a bit and/or fit smaller diameter rims. Rim width is up to you, but I'm not sure you have a choice in a Group 3 car. Wider rims hydroplane easier but have more grip in the dry. Larger rims mean the car stays less but can't hop curbs as well, smaller rims do the opposite.
From Le Source, the hairpin at the start...
Floor it and fade to the right as close to the wall as possible. You will remain at full throttle from here to Les Combes. As you get close to Eau Rouge, cut the car hard left and try to get almost onto and parrallel the left curb. Now cut to the right, aiming for the curb. Your goal here is to keep just the left tires inside the track lines and NOT slide into the parking area to the left. Cut back to the left and graze the curb again going into the Kemmel straight. If you did this right your speed as you enter the Kemmel should be at least 242 kph. Next depending on tires and conditions you will usually fade to the left. If there are other cars to draft, draft them. If the track is drying out and you're still on rain tires, fade to the right at first, crossing over only once you get to Les Combes.
At Les Combes the braking zone displayed is usually too long. Wait a split second to brake, then once you do, aim for the right hand curb between the first two turns here. Cut hard left going into the third turn, Malmedy, aim for the left curb, then take Malmedy under full throttle in the typical out in out fashion. The next turn is Bruxelles, the hairpin. Try to apex this turn a smidge early and carefully get back on the gas. Again, out in out, then fade right and repeat this on Ickx / Speaker's Curve. Stay straight after Ickx Curve, don't fade left unless necessary to pass or to save tires. The braking zone to Pouhon is also usually too long. You can brake deep into it, downshift, rotate the car, and get on the gas well before the first apex. The car should begin to understeer a bit as you round that apex, so let off the throttle a bit (or press harder) with the wheel at full lock to control where the car exits this curve. Depending on the car, you need to throttle to either the point of controller vibration or to the point of actual understeer. The Porsche wears its front tires out faster, so throttle to the point of vibrations. If done correctly you should exit Pouhon at close to your maximum speed. Fade left and aim to take the first bend of College and exit on the right hand curb. Cut hard left and accelerate gently, aiming to exit in the left curb, this gives you half a second more on the throttle than the marked line does. Fade left and brake moderately for Friere. As you apex Friere, get back on the throttle and to the left curb, then aim for the post at the apex of Stavelot. Hit the gas hard enough so you slip to the left of the post, then adjust the throttle to keep from sliding into the grass at full steering wheel lock to the right. From there unless the track is wet you will stay at full throttle until you get to the chicane. Fade right and take your right hand tires onto the green paved area to the right if the track. Cut the long left hard on Blanchimont and aim for the inside curb. Left the car slip back to the right and I to the green pavement. The braking zone for the chicane often seems too short. Brake early, downshift, and exit the whole thing on the right. Slowly fade left into Le Source. Here and early and a mid apex work equally well.

Nope, I don't like these new physics and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say these updates favour rally and controller users.

We hear loads about "I want to feel the curbs" "weight transition" etc and it was all there before but nuanced.

Now the dial is turned up to 11.

The problem with all this extra feedback is it's utterly pointless in terms of positioning the car and feeling traction.

I'll adjust I am sure but this is not the sort of thing I was expecting, and on default wheel settings you can't dial out all the FFB noise like curbs constantly rumbling a car that will oscillate itself to death if you aren't holding the wheel.

Not enjoying this driving experience at all.

Edit @shadow0460

Use some paragraphs and punctuation please.

Edit:

2 races on the bounce now have been absolutely awful first lap hero's in a 13 lap race wth. I have been away for 3 days.

Last edited:
I am very puzzled about a thing - perhaps you guys can enlighten me:
This week I have done race B at Spa about 30 times. I have been fluctuating between upper C and lower B with a QT of about 2:21 (SR: S, european lobbys).
Race after race I have had so much fun. So much great racing and not a single hostile incident. At times, yes, there has been aggresive driving, and off course some incidents because of lacking skills - my own included. A couple of times I had to check the replays, but I never found any reason to call ANY of the other drivers dirty. I have done terrible races and superb races and learned quite a lot of racecraft. It has been quite awesome.

I can’t quite get my head around why, if I read e.g. comments on youtube about GT7 sport mode, 99.9% of people are saying that the racing is an absolute horror show, and out of those people, about 50% are saying things like “yes, that is why I gave up racing online”.
The only explanation I can think of is that perhaps US lobbys are bad? It is off course a factor, that online people are a bit more prone to complain than to be cheerful about stuff, but the angry voices are just so overwhelmingly massive. Maybe the dirty drivers are on vacation? Or …?
I’ve found the same thing this week. And in some past weeks recently and I’m in the Americas racing in B/S or B/A lobbies.

Possible explanation - the penalty system seems to be stricter both for contact penalties and the amount of SR you lose. I made contact with two people in one race (my fault) and went from high S to high A. Can’t recall a similar drop before?

Edit - just lost DR for the mildest of taps T1 at Spa. Not complaining, just saying this seems new, and stricter (which is a good thing).

Just tried my first post-update race B. The RSR has much less lateral grip on the RHs and is much more prone to spin when you lift off or even trail brake (like in that tricky downhill 180 degree right hander - second corner after the chicane at the end of the Kemmel straight).

Last edited:
Jumped on for 1 race B before work this morning. CS lobby, I started 6th, obviously don't know what was going on behind me but the top guys were spinning out all over the place. There were cars on the grass that I've never seen "over there" before lol. I was in the 458 but it definitely isn't as stable, a little loose even, and curbs are not as forgiving. I wouldn't say its worse, or better.....one could almost say it seems more realistic?? Is it safe to say that the game now requires more skill?

I've done a few laps around Spa in the 650 and taken 3 tenths off my previous best - completely missed a few apexes so still time to make up. I've got in-game torque at 7 and think things feel sort-of ok if I brake earlier - it maybe feels a bit more slidey on exits? Not sure - need to drive more..

I did one race at Spa and I felt I had low grip, especially if going offline/in the marbles zone of corners. Several cars were losing it on the kerbs on exits..

I've done a few laps around Spa in the 650 and taken 3 tenths off my previous best - completely missed a few apexes so still time to make up. I've got in-game torque at 7 and think things feel sort-of ok if I brake earlier - it maybe feels a bit more slidey on exits? Not sure - need to drive more..

I did one race at Spa and I felt I had low grip, especially if going offline/in the marbles zone of corners. Several cars were losing it on the kerbs on exits..
Try Atlanta for some QT, the 650 is fast round there. If you take the curbs you'll feel the difference in the physics.

They are very different as the exit grip is immense compared to before but mid corner throttle and curbs are very different.

This is a voice of 1 though and I've been away for a few days

Try Atlanta for some QT, the 650 is fast round there. If you take the curbs you'll feel the difference in the physics.

They are very different as the exit grip is immense compared to before but mid corner throttle and curbs are very different.

This is a voice of 1 though and I've been away for a few days
Will get a few laps in later..👍

Recently changed to the Fanatec 457 drivers (not had a single disconnect since) and also got a new seat, so everything feels a bit different, on top of the new update.

Nope, I don't like these new physics and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say these updates favour rally and controller users.
As a controller user, I have to disagree here, although I can't make a final assessment yet. So far, it has been mixed:

Q laps in race C / Gr4, I'm lightyears away from my previous best.

Q laps in race A, I almost matched my best (which isn't too bad on the global leaderboard) after only 4 or 5 laps.

Weekly time trial with the Ferrari, I didn't notice anything special (probably for a lack of comparison), and got into the preliminary gold ranks after 20 minutes.

Weekly time trial on the new old track with the rally Subaru, I had a hard time controlling the thing enough to even get to silver. And I tried a lot.

So, no idea where this is going. But do I think that "physics" update was necessary? Absolutely not. There's a lot of other issues PD could have focussed on instead.

As a controller user, I have to disagree here, although I can't make a final assessment yet. So far, it has been mixed:

Q laps in race C / Gr4, I'm lightyears away from my previous best.

Q laps in race A, I almost matched my best (which isn't too bad on the global leaderboard) after only 4 or 5 laps.

Weekly time trial with the Ferrari, I didn't notice anything special (probably for a lack of comparison), and got into the preliminary gold ranks after 20 minutes.

Weekly time trial on the new old track with the rally Subaru, I had a hard time controlling the thing enough to even get to silver. And I tried a lot.

So, no idea where this is going. But do I think that "physics" update was necessary? Absolutely not. There's a lot of other issues PD could have focussed on instead.
My comment was not a criticism, we all race together and I love that, I don't care about your controller type or mine... just your time 😝

Where I was coming from (badly) is I meant all the extra "detail" a wheel user now has with weaker FFB definitely favours a pad user (and I was a pad user for 20 years)

We will see how this all lands, I think there is something inherently wrong with the change though. Good or bad it's not right.

I did a few Race A's earlier in the week in the GR Yaris and few laps round Road Atlanta last night before the update.

FWIW, post update I am half a second faster in the Yaris and a whole second slower in the GR.4 cars.

Only messed around for half an hour but I agree with @newmedia_dev, seems the Rally physics (use the term loosely with GT7) have been much improved. I usually hate fishermans ranch etc but i went there for one lap and the improvement there is noticeable. It aint Dirt Rally but atleast its enjoyable.

Race cars feels floaty and I cant seem to feel much (humble G29 user). Gonna mess about with settings later.

Last edited:
My comment was not a criticism, we all race together and I love that, I don't care about your controller type or mine... just your time 😝

Where I was coming from (badly) is I meant all the extra "detail" a wheel user now has with weaker FFB definitely favours a pad user (and I was a pad user for 20 years)

We will see how this all lands, I think there is something inherently wrong with the change though. Good or bad it's not right.
I didn't take it as criticism at all. 🍻

And I'm glad to get your opinions and experiences about the matter, as much as of different matters. It's just very ambiguous right now for me, as some car or car/track combos seem to be (negatively) influenced a lot by the changes, and others really not much.

Is it just me or have cars, especially MR, become overly sensitive to braking? Tried out the 650S, NSX and 458 (Race C qualy laps) and can barely touch the brakes without going into a drift! And this is in a straight line and feathering the pedal...

Will obviously need to adjust wheel settings but did you guys notice this as well?

Is it just me or have cars, especially MR, become overly sensitive to braking? Tried out the 650S, NSX and 458 (Race C qualy laps) and can barely touch the brakes without going into a drift! And this is in a straight line and feathering the pedal...

Will obviously need to adjust wheel settings but did you guys notice this as well?
100%

You need to up the torque on the wheel and hold them in to the turn. The heavier the wheel the more you'll feel. Its only small corrections but it's frustrating

I've only run the Gr3 650 but I think I'm having to brake earlier/less hard.. or if it's on the limit, it's maybe sliding more. At la source and the bus stop I ran way too deep in the race that I tried.

I've increased my brake pressure so that it's harder to reach maximum braking - hopefully that'll help.

I've only run the Gr3 650 but I think I'm having to brake earlier/less hard.. or if it's on the limit, it's maybe sliding more. At la source and the bus stop I ran way too deep in the race that I tried.

I've increased my brake pressure so that it's harder to reach maximum braking - hopefully that'll help.
I'm normally a fan of MR and FR cars. I'm gearing myself up to have a full weekend of sport mode races with people, I guess it doesn't matter about the skill level, I don't expect to win nowadays.

Did 2 daily races C with the new physics. Had real trouble with braking and turning into turn 1. The back breaks out a lot quicker. Also feels like the cars weight is rolling more through cornering. Corner exits are faster in some cases.

After a while I got a little used to it, and can more or less match my pre update sector 1 time. Total lap time is still 0.4 sec off at the moment.

I didn't set very low 1.48 times Monday, so I was able to improve on them slightly with today's 1.49 times. Updates to the physics were OK, if understeery. Changes to the NSX Gr.3 and 4 BoP were decent. FFB didn't feel too different with my usual settings (G29, 6 torque, 9 sensitivity). Probably not going to enter any races for this week, so I can get used to the changes and git gud.

Race A: 1:04.478 The GR Yaris is still slidey fun going into corners, but with a bit less crippling understeer coming out of them. Nice.

Race B: 2:21.437 in the NSX Gr.3 Same weight. The extra 9hp forced an upshift to 6th before Les Combes. Lack of front end bite made Double Gauche a chore, and forced a partial lift at Eau Rouge and Blanchimont. Braking didn't feel as good as before. She's even more prone to oversteer exiting slower corners.

Race C: 1:25.359 in the NSX Gr.4 Losing 10kg made her feel a bit livelier in the corners. Hopefully she'll be less vulnerable on the straights. Would've liked a bit more power. Brakes felt good. Was slightly easier to rotate the car out of slower corners.

edit: Because reasons. 😅

Last edited:
I didn't set very low 1.48 times Monday, so I was able to improve on them slightly with today's 1.49 times. Updates to the physics were OK, if understeery. Changes to the NSX Gr.3 and 4 BoP were decent. FFB didn't feel too different with my usual settings (G29, 6 torque, 9 sensitivity). Probably not going to enter any races for this week, so I can get used to the changes and git gud.

Race A: 1:04.478 The GR Yaris is still slidey fun going into corners, but with a bit less crippling understeer coming out of them. Nice.

Race B: 1:25.359 in the NSX Gr.4 Losing 10kg made her feel a bit livelier in the corners. Hopefully she'll be less vulnerable on the straights. Would've liked a bit more power. Brakes felt good. Was slightly easier to rotate the car out of slower corners.

Race C: 2:21.437 in the NSX Gr.3 Same weight. The extra 9hp forced an upshift to 6th before Les Combes. Lack of front end bite made Double Gauche a chore, and forced a partial lift at Eau Rouge and Blanchimont. Braking didn't feel as good as before. She's even more prone to oversteer exiting slower corners.
B and C are mixed up mate

I like the physics changes, except in Gr.3. Feels horrid there, so sluggish but so floaty at the same time. Everything else has come off a lot better.

As nice as they are, I somehow doubt PD are suddenly going to care about making interesting dailies for us to 'experience' it with. A fundamental physics change doesn't mean much if the actual content is still not interesting enough to come back to, and if it's still Gr.3 and Gr.4 ad nauseum, it's certainly not interesting.

I like the physics changes, except in Gr.3. Feels horrid there, so sluggish but so floaty at the same time. Everything else has come off a lot better.

As nice as they are, I somehow doubt PD are suddenly going to care about making interesting dailies for us to 'experience' it with. A fundamental physics change doesn't mean much if the actual content is still not interesting enough to come back to, and if it's still Gr.3 and Gr.4 ad nauseum, it's certainly not interesting.
It's funny you say that as I agree.

Doing some Sophy races in road cars on proper tyres (SM/SH) the physics feel okay. You can play with the cars a bit and do some glamour slides.

When it gets to racing, I don't particularly like the feel. It's highlighted a lot of weak spots in my lines and braking but also highlights how awkward the new transition physics are.

I think it's the wheel settings are my bug bear at the moment but the curbs are something that needs to be learned now.

1000030670.jpg

@AdxRE 😮💪

Awesome time! Glad to see the 650 up there!

Latest Posts

Back