GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,239 comments
I'm going to spend my week at my "home" track of Watkins Glen. I started in the Huracan, but the back end kicks out on my constantly entering the bus stop. It's most likely a me problem and I'm not taking any chances. I then tried the Alfa 4C and had a heck of a time making a decent lap. I discovered that my preferred technique of going all the way to the wall then gradually moving back the racing line on the final turn now results in a penalty if you cross the white line entirely. Was that a thing before? I'm glad I found that out.

Anyway, I tried the Genesis G70 and that didn't work out for me. For now, I'm in the Hyundai Genesis Gr.4 and it seems to be working for me. Nice and stable through the Bus Stop. I just need to learn when and how to push the car and I should have a decent time. I'm also open for suggestions on other cars top use at the Glen this week.

I did 2 meme races and got sideswiped on the first one and fell off the pace. The second one I timed correctly and snagged a win after some careful maneuvering from the back of the pack. I think it's my 3rd meme race win overall since the game launched so I got that going for me.
You know, I may be forced to do some races at Glen, it's too difficult to get a win at SSRX. I guess I'll take my chances with the B/C races. See SSRX is a high speed course which means bad drivers can purposely run into slower drivers and cause them to have a wreck. My nerves were on edge with my 2nd race this morning, so I think I'll pass on that for a while. The track would suit you well since you live in New York. Plus it's the short version so we won't be dealing with the extra turns/corners.

I guess I'll give the Genesis G70, NSX Gr. 4 and the RCZ car a go Friday. We'll see how far I can get. I need a QT that can get me starting mid-pack instead of being top in front of a swarm of cars especially in higher-ranked lobbies.

Well after a night of ups and downs I had time for 1 last race before the reset. With close racing, Clean (mostly) driving, a big drift that I still don't know how I saved it. And yes I do use the counter steering assist on low so that might have something to do with it. But anyway, enjoy the show.

Well after a night of ups and downs I had time for 1 last race before the reset. With close racing, Clean (mostly) driving, a big drift that I still don't know how I saved it. And yes I do use the counter steering assist on low so that might have something to do with it. But anyway, enjoy the show.

Hey, awesome race man. Those were cool racing angles and scenes. I didn't earn any wins but it's okay. The object of Sport Mode is to have fun and hang out with friends/fellow players on any track of the game. That happens to me a lot, I'll have some rocky races and then I'll finish in a nice spot at the last race or two.

Got to love a good meme race. With no QT I started 8th. I avoided the crashes and came out the first corner in third. Then the pack rocketed pass me (I suspected on nitro) dropping me to 9th but I held on. Then just before the gantry on the last corner I hit the gas. Worked my way from 9th to 1st but then the gas ran out….(I hit it too early) Would the lead last?

It looked like everyone else had also run out! But wait, there was one last charger streaming up…. And pipped me at the post. Meh. I came in 2nd. Silly race but loved it.

Next race I accidentally QT’d in 3rd. Shot to the lead with no one working with me. Infact I was wondering when they’d catch up. First corner they finally did. It was a rabble of disorganized cars. Don’t this group know how to work together? I slotted behind one, then another as they kept on veering around. Then in the corner I was nice and solid then, next moment, I was spinning like a yo-yo. Never knew who hit me. Race was done. Quit after that.

I think people playing with bumper cam can't see past the car ahead so they get lured in 🙈
That also applies to us VR in cockpit drivers now.

It’s easier to drive but also harder as you don’t have the view of roof cam anymore.

Last edited:
Can’t resist a Gr.3 Catalunya daily since it is a circuit that I usually race well, especially with the updated physics means I am able to feel the turn-in though FFB way better than before. Trial braking is still a hit-or-miss especially in T1 but that is probably down to me not putting enough miles into GT7 these days.

Wrestled the McLaren around Catalunya earlier today yielded a lap of 1:40.585. Was the only McLaren in top 100 Globally (at noon) with most people going for the Huracan which is the clear meta.

E7-B7-A88-C-E326-481-B-877-D-5-ABC50-A65-CD4.jpg

IMG-2914.jpg

Don’t think many of us are doing Race B this week?

Last edited:
Anecdotally I haven't put a time in yet for B and looking at my leaderboards:

22 have put times in for B
31 have put times in for C

I think Catalunya has been used a lot recently in TTs, GTWS etc so I think a bit of fatigue has set in. Also given its technical nature is always polarising.

C is almost a Goldilocks race in terms of length and clear space strat (tire strat would have been much better)

We will see how the week pans out but it definitely feels like B is less popular this week? 🤔

I wont but not because I dislike it, the "problem" with daily B this week is Daily C.
It is so good that I wont try anything else
C is almost a Goldilocks race in terms of length and clear space strat (tire strat would have been much better)
2 compounds and more tire wear would be perfect.

1000 races - 106 wins - 672 top 5 finishes

What is it about race B this week? Twice last night, some tool (different tools btw) decides to try to pass everyone in turn 1 by cutting across the grass and cannonball into the lead pack.

Like, could we PLEASE get impact force penalties back?

1000 races - 106 wins - 672 top 5 finishes

What is it about race B this week? Twice last night, some tool (different tools btw) decides to try to pass everyone in turn 1 by cutting across the grass and cannonball into the lead pack.

Like, could we PLEASE get impact force penalties back?
Technical track.

Too many corners invite a better exit to the next one so people pass in strange places or try. Little run off doesn't help.

Also I think generally this B race favours certain types of drivers and that splits in to 2 groups the 10% who are fast round there, the 10% who struggle with it and the remaining 80% mixed in the middle at similar race pace levels making it a challenging race from the mid pack

Edit: autocorrect

Last edited:
Technical track.

Too many corners invite a better exit to the next one so people pass in strange places or try. Little run off doesn't help.

Also I think generally this B race favours certain types of drivers and that splits in to 2 groups the 10% who are fast round there, the 10% who struggle with it and the remaining 80% mixed in the middle at similar race pace levels making it a challenging race from the mid pack

Edit: autocorrect
I think I might have explained it poorly. These people aren't even trying to make the corner. They turned right onto the grass to the right of the breaking zone, with the intent to exit after turn 2. It's not a "strange" place to pass, it's straight up cheating the system.

I agree with your second point. I think that there are a lot of people who may struggle with the real world tracks. They definitely try passes in the wrong places, or don't know how to set up a pass. This is why I keep hoping for a return to more strict contact penalties. If driving incorrectly is the easy path to success, it will be the most used path to success.

As a sidebar from this week's dailies I've been doing some testing of Gr.1 around Fuji, since we haven't had a race there yet with the new BoP/physics so I wanted to see what's what in advance.

The meta is almost definitely the three 2016 cars still - I could consistently do 1:29s in them, whereas in the 2011 R18, the GR010 and the LM55 I was lapping in the high 1:30s, and in the Alpine VGT I barely got into the 1:31s. The 2016 R18 and TS050 have seemingly had their hybrid regen buffed, so the Porsche does not have a huge advantage there any more - all three always had hybrid without me having to manage it. So the meta could be any one of the three.

The Group C cars warrant special mention - they have been absolutely killed around high and medium speed corners, my best lap in the 787B was a 1:32. However, they were 15mph quicker at the end of the pit straight than the 2016 cars, so they are almost certainly the meta at Daytona specifically still, and will be really annoying to race against at Le Mans even if they are slower over the whole lap. Also, they have about half the tyre wear, so if there's some weird race where they can no-stop but other cars can't, then they are worth considering as a hare vs tortoise scenario. But in a straight fight at a track with corners they are now super slow.

I think I might have explained it poorly. These people aren't even trying to make the corner. They turned right onto the grass to the right of the breaking zone, with the intent to exit after turn 2. It's not a "strange" place to pass, it's straight up cheating the system.

I agree with your second point. I think that there are a lot of people who may struggle with the real world tracks. They definitely try passes in the wrong places, or don't know how to set up a pass. This is why I keep hoping for a return to more strict contact penalties. If driving incorrectly is the easy path to success, it will be the most used path to success.
I got what you were saying and agree, the thing is we are coming at this from 2 different levels. Bad drivers are bad drivers the rest are just trying and inconsistent and to be honest mostly clumsy.

I'll see your 1000 races and raise you 5 times that...

For arguments sake let's ignore my alt accounts.

IMG_1008.jpeg

I got what you were saying and agree, the thing is we are coming at this from 2 different levels. Bad drivers are bad drivers the rest are just trying and inconsistent and to be honest mostly clumsy.

View attachment 1382589
Wow, almost 5000 races for you my friend. Maybe by 2025, you'll be at 6k-7k?

Decided to ditch the Lamborghini and go back to the Porsche and immediately took a second off my time at Catalunya, race B seems to be dirty as hell this week, ppl regularly shunting and picking up penalties 🤷‍♂️

More work to do to get my time improved from 1.42.5xx and my SR up to BS (currently BA)

Think I’m done with racing this week. A is fine so may do a couple more of those. B holds no interest and C is absolutely killing me. Each race of C I start with pole or second and finish either last or in the bottom 3 cars running. It’s been brutal.

The weird thing is, is with my GT7 reset going to VR is that I’m preferring driving road cars at the moment. I want more races with road cars. They don’t even have to be quick, but I would appreciate some DR points for completing…

Last edited:
This week I want to try some Watkins Glen races.

First tried one race A yesterday evening. Started from the back (12th and last, but a full B / S lobby) in the Mercedes-AMG. Could work my way up by slipstreaming and bumpdrafting. One person somewhere up ahead crashed while entering the first corner and directly began a vocal assault against me, while I wasn't even close to him when it happened. At the end I told him he picked the wrong one and should watch the replay, but he kept scolding me and quit. At the last corner I discovered it is not so smart to map nitrous and different camera angles on the right PS5 controller stick 😅 Because my view was suddenly all over the place, I tapped the outer wall harshly and lost a lot of momentum. Still finished 7th within mere seconds of the leader.

Then I did 3 Watkins Glen races. Apparently my QT is not so quick this week. Depending on the track I am often ~3 % slower than the world fastest time. That puts me in the mid-pack of B lobbies. My 3 starts were all outside the top 10.

Race 1: started 13th in the Alfa 4C. While entering the pits and thus driving slowly to not cross the yellow line, I got smashed into by someone going at normal speed through the corner. So I backed out and had a very slow pit straight. Also couldn't really drive consistent laps. Finished 12th.

Race 2: Tried the Aston Martin Vantage to mix things up. Started 13th again. In this race also a lot of contact. Got punted out of the bus stop by someone at full speed. Don't know what his/her problem was. Finished 10th.

Race 3: Again with the Aston. Started 11th and finally had a race with less shenanigans. Could even more or less match my quali time (that I set in the Alfa 4C). After an early pit stop I drove from the back, but due to being quite consistent could work my way up to a 6th place finish. Quite satisfied with this last race, and after that it was time to go to sleep. Maybe tonight some more racing.

Race C was getting a bit boring so moved to race B for the rest of the week.

One thing I will say, this weeks two races (B and C) has taught me more about Brake Balance than I ever knew previously.

For example, by default I just go 5R for rotation. But I just came down from a 42.6 to a 40.8 in the space of about 3 laps after fiddling about with BB (based on my learning from Race C).

Honestly it's not something I've particularly focused on too much before, maybe I should!! Not sure if the new update has kind of forced this thinking, or if I just "dealt" with poor handling before when I could have controlled it better with a quick BB change.

After a week of repairing my rig and installing new firmware on my steering wheel, with all settings lost, I noticed that my brake setting had also changed. I initially put it down to the update, but it was a brake setting that was too intense (at 50% operation I had 100% braking effect).
Everything worked again now and I did a B race. With my QT I only start from 12th (I thought the time would be enough to get further up). In the first few laps I got places from others who left the track. I was confused by a vehicle that jumped left, right and then in front of me again. I didn't know how to overtake without ramming it. Luckily he made a mistake and I was able to overtake him when he was off the track. At the end of lap 4 I was 6th and then something happened that has been happening more and more often lately. The driver behind me really wanted to overtake and almost hit me without braking in turn 1. He got a 3 second penalty but my car was broken. Then he pushed me so that I lost speed and the other vehicles were able to catch up. In the next braking zone he was still to my right and now a second vehicle rammed me off the track from the inside (also got a 3 second penalty) but I was out of the race and ended up in 10th place. It's not really fun to have races like that.

Its a weird week in race C. The game insists on putting me with drB srB’s when i slack through as a drC but always srS. I don’t know how you guys make it through the drB’s. I can’t even go a race without someone launching a cruise missile up my tailpipe, usually around the bus stop.

I think last week was really hard on the dirtbags, given the format, and they are back in force this week to make up lost ground.

Normally I’m a race B kind of guy, but I couldn’t resist a race C this week with the gr4, although the meta seemed a nice drive I got a sec and a half faster in the g70, 1.15.2xx

Started in 11th, got royally punted and spun in the bus stop and turned around so plum last. Managed to just keep going and pitted in lap 7 and surprisingly I finished ahead of the chap that punted me and finished 5th

Nice!

Edit. 1.15.050 and I’m hunting for more 😁

Last edited:

One thing I will say, this weeks two races (B and C) has taught me more about Brake Balance than I ever knew previously.

For example, by default I just go 5R for rotation. But I just came down from a 42.6 to a 40.8 in the space of about 3 laps after fiddling about with BB (based on my learning from Race C).

Honestly it's not something I've particularly focused on too much before, maybe I should!! Not sure if the new update has kind of forced this thinking, or if I just "dealt" with poor handling before when I could have controlled it better with a quick BB change.
Honestly, I don't get the little bb hype, that has been here lately. I don't feel much difference except I change from - 5 to +5 and since I try as much cars as possible in a week, I just leave it at 0. I don't believe that bb can improve your laptime by more than 0.200.

Honestly, I don't get the little bb hype, that has been here lately. I don't feel much difference except I change from - 5 to +5 and since I try as much cars as possible in a week, I just leave it at 0. I don't believe that bb can improve your laptime by more than 0.200.
You'd be surprised I think (depends on your driving style). With the 4c in Race C and the Huracan in Race B, I was more than a second faster in both.

I guess it might be down to my controller style, but I had so much slidey slidey entering corners. Both laps improved by more than 1.5s when I got rid of the rear end stepping out.

More than that, it's stable more quickly so I can get on the power easier in these two races.

Honestly makes a world of difference, in my opinion.

I haven't gone - 5 though due to understeer, Ive settled on -3 for the Glen (necessary for T1 and the bus stop) and -2 for the infield and -1 for the first and third parts at Catalunya

But again, I'm a sample size of 1 but I did notice a huge difference on turn in even between 0 and - 2. From +5 to -2 it was a world apart.

Last edited:

I do think the recent physics update amplified the importance of trial braking, which its effectiveness is dependant on the BB setup. I did have a smaller gain (0.3s) going from BB 0 to BB +3 to the rear on Catalunya. 40.8 is a good time!

It varies by cars. If I forget to change it, it is usually not the end of the world, but it can make some cars much more confidence inspiring and that can make you faster. Take the 4C at Watkins Glen this week. At BB 0 it us very tail slidey which makes crashing out pretty easy. Switch it to BB-2 (to the front) and it makes the car a lot more stable in braking making the bus-stop a much safer experience. Still, you can still wipe out there. Don't ask me how I know....

Normally I’m a race B kind of guy, but I couldn’t resist a race C this week with the gr4, although the meta seemed a nice drive I got a sec and a half faster in the g70, 1.15.2xx

Started in 11th, got royally punted and spun in the bus stop and turned around so plum last. Managed to just keep going and pitted in lap 7 and surprisingly I finished ahead of the chap that punted me and finished 5th

Nice!

Edit. 1.15.050 and I’m hunting for more 😁
I'm with you on the G70 - couldn't get the 4C round fast enough, and spun the Huracan at the bus stop every lap for some reason.

G70 has a great feel to it, very compliant over the kerbs - gets around turn 1 faster than most cars, and quick and stable through the bus stop too.

Having said that, it upsets the 4C drivers who think they should be faster because they're driving one of the metas 😂 - they appear very shocked when you pass them, or they cannot pass you. Had a few instances today where the shock caused them to crash, or go wide and get a penalty - fortunately I avoided getting rammed off!

Today I managed a P8 to P5, P9 to P6, and finally P12 to P4 .

NSX seems to be taking the mantle of meta now though, haven't tried it myself though.

View attachment 1382589
Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to devote to 5k races. Kudos to you!

Back