GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,359 comments
Fun fact: In the replay I realised that P2 became victim of another massive divebomb in the final corner from an Alfa driver (who had done a clean race until then). Why always the Alfas? Well, at least P2 handled it perfectly, kept his car on track, almost pushed the Alfa into the pitlane and secured his second place.
My assumption, with the Alfa you can AND have to brake very late, only then can you use the advantages of the Alfa and survive in the race against the GT-R and WRX or at least be competitive. You can see very well that on the really fast routes the Alfas are just crutches or children's bikes with training wheels. (easily 10 and more km/h top speed less than GT-R and WRX) they can only keep up halfway because of the slipstream... but now the corner is coming... the driver in front brakes normally and goes into the corner, the Alfa can and must brake later.. jabs inwards and knocks the others out. In the beginning in GT7 people were punished immediately and there were no such actions, unfortunately we hardly have any penalties at the moment.

Not so sure about that. I've finished a lot of races in positions from 4 to 6 lately, and my DR hasn't moved a bit.
It all depends on the ranking of the other drivers in that race compared to you. If you finish ahead of a driver with more DR you gain more than if that person had lower DR, and vice versa if you finish behind someone with a higher DR you lose less than if you are behind someone with a lower DR. That adds up with all drivers in the race.
So if you're in a lobby where everyone is significantly lower than you, you'll most certainly lose DR if you don't finish top 3.

So it could stay very balanced if you finish in P4-P6 if those behind are lower ranked than you

My eyesight might be to bad to notice that little movement...🤣

At least bad results make you lose points more quickly and noticeably. I realised that when the first puntfests began at Yamagiwa. The progress bar was full, I was literally one or two good results away from A. Four or five really bad races later, I was at around 80%, where I've been more or less stuck since then.

I actually don't really want to be an A driver. I just want to become an A driver, at least once, just to see that I can do it. From the actual racing standpoint, I feel quite okay in the higher B/S lobbies. Mostly clean racing, and accounting my abilities, I think that's where I belong. All good.

BTW concerning my latest posts and your kind advice: On the next try managed to get a win In Daily Race B. Started Pole again, went risky through the first turns, didn't **** my pants this time and drove a clean race to the end. P2 fell back after pressuring me for two laps. I still was a bit too cautious in some sectors, but I brought it home. Oh, and yes, the progress bar moved up a pixel... 🤣

Fun fact: In the replay I realised that P2 became victim of another massive divebomb in the final corner from an Alfa driver (who had done a clean race until then). Why always the Alfas? Well, at least P2 handled it perfectly, kept his car on track, almost pushed the Alfa into the pitlane and secured his second place.

Last edited by a moderator:
My assumption, with the Alfa you can AND have to brake very late, only then can you use the advantages of the Alfa and survive in the race against the GT-R and WRX or at least be competitive. You can see very well that on the really fast routes the Alfas are just crutches or children's bikes with training wheels. (easily 10 and more km/h top speed less than GT-R and WRX) they can only keep up halfway because of the slipstream... but now the corner is coming... the driver in front brakes normally and goes into the corner, the Alfa can and must brake later.. jabs inwards and knocks the others out. In the beginning in GT7 people were punished immediately and there were no such actions, unfortunately we hardly have any penalties at the moment.
This is coherent with my own observations. But, honestly, the guy I mentioned didn't brake AT ALL. :)

It all depends on the ranking of the other drivers in that race compared to you. If you finish ahead of a driver with more DR you gain more than if that person had lower DR, and vice versa if you finish behind someone with a higher DR you lose less than if you are behind someone with a lower DR. That adds up with all drivers in the race.
So if you're in a lobby where everyone is significantly lower than you, you'll most certainly lose DR if you don't finish top 3.

So it could stay very balanced if you finish in P4-P6 if those behind are lower ranked than you
Seems very conclusive to me.

Just Race B things

FXdZ_q3XoAEQlU-.jpg

FXdaAmHXwAI-Twv.jpg

FXdaAF6WQAMo3Au.jpg

Is there a proper way to crash?

Everytime I crash I'm facing the opposite direction and the wheel goes crazy like it's trying to break cement. I see everyone else respawn nicely facing the right direction.

I quit my race this morning hitting the chicane, facing the wrong way, with everycar behind me ghosting through me. If I didn't quit in time I would have turned solid. :dunce:
I can't crash properly either. The front of my car always seems to stick to the wall I hit needing a reverse before I get going. If I spin it's always ends with me facing the wrong way needing a further spin to get going. (Well if that further spin doesn't end up being a 360. :dunce:)
Not so sure about that. I've finished a lot of races in positions from 4 to 6 lately, and my DR hasn't moved a bit.
You will be gaining DR don't worry about that. How much you gain depends on who you beat, but you gain from everyone you beat and loose to everyone who beats you.

Race C is not bad, nice flow. However I'm still getting matched out of my league. I can do 1:21 laps in the CLK-LM, got matched with mostly A+ that do 1:19 laps. DR is so slow to adjust in these 16 player A+ rooms, I lose 400 DR per race. I did 4 races, all stuck in the top split, all starting last and finishing last. But the last race I did have the opportunity to follow someone for a bit until I got a track limit penalty and lost the draft.

Matchmaking really needs to match on race pace. DR is too slow to 'update' for it to be much use to matchmaking.
I did get some positions (to lose them again) from dirty driving at the front and even got a 4 sec penalty as someone brushed by me in a revenge punt on the car ahead of me. I tapped the car ahead of me as he unghosted from serving a penalty. That tap did nothing to him, but the missile directed at him from behind me (I guess the guy he got the penalty for) punted him hard into the wall. Since the attacker quit I was left holding the 'bill'....

Maybe I'll try again today and finally reach DR.B, top split is so boring, all CLK-LM, all pit in lap 7.

On the crashes/spins - you probably already know but you should leave your foot in, just keep absolutely nailing it regardless of how into the wall you are, a bit of steering and you'll be able to drift your way out of it.

Then of course just as you've sorted yourself out, the game decides that's when you need help & resets you 20m back down the track!

Quite right.

I think people are failing to understand that DR isn't a reward you get when you finish a race. It's a tool for matchmaking. If you finish where the system predicts you to finish, you may theoretically not gain any DR. And that isn't something to be sad about; be happy that your next race will be with good competition. This is a good thing, as it promotes competitive racing and allows you to improve your racecraft.

On the crashes/spins - you probably already know but you should leave your foot in, just keep absolutely nailing it regardless of how into the wall you are, a bit of steering and you'll be able to drift your way out of it.
Yeah. Don't know about that.

When stuck against a wall, I used to keep the foot on the gas and it would turn in the direction I steered. In GT7 I do the same thing and something on the wall turns the car the opposite way.

When stuck against a wall, I used to keep the foot on the gas and it would turn in the direction I steered. In GT7 I do the same thing and something on the wall turns the car the opposite way.
Yeah that definitely doesn't work at all times. Depending on the angle it's easy to get stuck. I had that happen a few times as well, and then reverse is the only way out

Quite right.

I think people are failing to understand that DR isn't a reward you get when you finish a race. It's a tool for matchmaking. If you finish where the system predicts you to finish, you may theoretically not gain any DR. And that isn't something to be sad about; be happy that your next race will be with good competition. This is a good thing, as it promotes competitive racing and allows you to improve your racecraft.
That's what I was assuming, too. As long as I had mediocre results in my respective lobbys, I just stayed there, fittingly. Maybe slight changes in DR, but not noticeable. And as long it keeps me in good company, so to speak, mostly B/S with clean racing, I'm fine with it.

(I'd still like to reach DR A at least once, just to show my son what the old man can do...😅)

(I'd still like to reach DR A at least once, just to show my son what the old man can do...😅)

I'm very confident that you will because you're making active steps to get better. And I believe improving your racecraft is likely a giant step in that direction. I'd like to believe that the more you race and improve, the less nerves you'll have during a race (abandoning all thought of DR gain/loss will help, too, in my experience) and that will also make you better

Already in GT7 I have several times straight up lost control of my car on the final lap while in the lead because I couldn't keep my composure, which is so important when on worn tires. I'll get that win eventually, I hope.

That's what I was assuming, too. As long as I had mediocre results in my respective lobbys, I just stayed there, fittingly. Maybe slight changes in DR, but not noticeable. And as long it keeps me in good company, so to speak, mostly B/S with clean racing, I'm fine with it.

I'm very confident that you will because you're making active steps to get better. And I believe improving your racecraft is likely a giant step in that direction. I'd like to believe that the more you race and improve, the less nerves you'll have during a race (abandoning all thought of DR gain/loss will help, too, in my experience) and that will also make you better

Already in GT7 I have several times straight up lost control of my car on the final lap while in the lead because I couldn't keep my composure, which is so important when on worn tires. I'll get that win eventually, I hope.
You guys all seem to be my spirit animals. Maybe that's not exactly an appealing image, but I don't want to say "soul mates" because, well, you know, that's a whole different kind of potentially weird feeling. :) But from what you've been saying the past couple of days I can tell that I'm in good company here and we are all like minded. I really appreciate the candid comments, advice, and encouragement because it helps me remember that this is a community and not just a bunch of twelve-year-old jerks trying to ruin everyone's day in Sport Mode!

To enforce People to drive respectful and prudent.
Matching People by some sort of “Contact“ System.

But we have a "Contact" system right now, it's called Sportsmanship Rating or SR. It's supposed to reflect how clean you are as a racer, how good your sportsmanship is...

All that the game needs is an active penalty system that penalizes intentional contact, recognizes unintentional contact, and for players to stop having a tantrum everytime they get a penalty for doing something dumb that they shouldn't have.

I agree with the rest of your sentiment - limit DR (and wins) accumulation to those with an SR S ranking. Shift the focus to driving clean firstly, with wins/DR coming afterwards.

I think the DR system is pretty good at matchmaking. The issue is it varies from combo to combo.

I think that's why B/S seems the cleanest. When I got up to DR A some combos were harder than others for me. Some races I wouldn't even dare. I feel a lot more balance at DR B so the matchmaking has been good in any combo.

I've done about 50 races. And maybe have had 2 incidents. 2 drivers out of around 80 opponents. During that time I've got about 10 pit lane penalties. I'm pretty sure that makes me the bad driver. :lol:

I was about to give up on Race B, but I did a few qualification laps in the Mustang just for the heck of it. I ended out pulling my first trifecta ever: Start P1, fastest lap, and finish P1!!!!!!! This was my first pole position ever, and only my second win ever first of which was last week), so I'm kinda stoked!

@Leon Kowalski, I couldn't help but think about what you were saying earlier, and I kept saying to myself "don't freak out, don't freak out" every lap. I ended up getting a 5 second lead by lap 3, though, and could take it easy through the chicane. After putting in those practice laps it ended out being pretty stress free because the muscle memory kicked in.

Now if I could only find a way to do Race C, but I hate one make races with zero strategy. I can't believe this is the race PD actually intended because it's just a procession rewarding the fastest quali time with a clear track to run more quali laps all race long. . .

Last edited:
I was about to give up on Race B, but I did a few qualification laps in the Mustang just for the heck of it. I ended out pulling my first trifecta ever: Start P1, fastest lap, and finish P1!!!!!!! This was my first pole position ever, and only my second win ever first of which was last week), so I'm kinda stoked!

@Leon Kowalski, I couldn't help but think about what you were saying earlier, and I kept saying to myself "don't freak out, don't freak out" every lap. I ended up getting a 5 second lead by lap 3, though, and could take it easy through the chicane. After putting in those practice laps it ended out being pretty stress free because the muscle memory kicked in.
Lovely! Congratulations!

But I don't know if your tactics would work for me. If I told myself "Don't freak out", that would make me freak out immediately. 🤣

Lovely! Congratulations!

But I don't know if your tactics would work for me. If I told myself "Don't freak out", that would make me freak out immediately. 🤣
I also told myself the same thing: now that I’m thinking about freaking out, that kinda freaks me out, and then I freak out that I’m freaking out about freaking out . . . and then comes the chicane, right on cue.

Having some great fun in Race A. Every race I’ve done so far has been clean and fair racing which has been quite a surprise since they is no DR/SR. Been giving the MR cars a go today and wow they are just cars on ice. McLaren is the only car I drive.

Just used the Toyota F1 and that was great. Started P6 and finished P3, maybe could have had P2 but I’m not sure if I wasn’t strong enough going into to T1 to be able to take the spot.
Uploaded a few attempts here. Personally I think both moves if I had gone for them would have resulted in a crash, bit love to know your thoughts.

Uploaded a few attempts here. Personally I think both moves if I had gone for them would have resulted in a crash, bit love to know your thoughts.

He gave you a lot of room in turn 1 I think expecting you to go through, it seems like you would have been fine there.

I don't see a second opportunity? Unless you mean turn 5 but it being off camber, downhill turn most moves here are with contact, a little desperate and it's where I see most incidents happen at this track. I tend to choose to back off going into it for that reason.

I think at most you would be side-by-side briefly if there was no overshooting the corner and the person ahead can see you/react. It looks like you'd need to go really deep into the corner and he brakes way too much/early on the entry for it to end up as an overtake.

SCCA guidelines thinks its a bad idea. (Vortex of danger/Blind Spots)
F1 rulebook would probably penalize you (No corner rights) or give shared responsibility (if front axle clearly ahead of opponents rear axle), with likely contact.

He gave you a lot of room in turn 1 I think expecting you to go through, it seems like you would have been fine there.

I don't see a second opportunity? Unless you mean turn 5 but it being off camber, downhill turn most moves here are with contact, a little desperate and it's where I see most incidents happen at this track. I tend to choose to back off going into it for that reason.
I think at most you would be side-by-side briefly if there was no overshooting the corner and the person ahead can see you/react. It looks like you'd need to go really deep into the corner and he brakes way too much/early on the entry for it to end up as an overtake.

SCCA guidelines thinks its a bad idea. (Vortex of danger/Blind Spots)
F1 rulebook would probably penalize you (No corner rights) or give shared responsibility (if front axle clearly ahead of opponents rear axle), with likely contact.
My biggest weakness is overtaking. It’s always moves like this where I possibly had that opportunity to make the move and make it stick, but I end up backing out.
Thanks for the feed back though! Much appreciated

Lovely! Congratulations!

I also told myself the same thing: now that I’m thinking about freaking out, that kinda freaks me out, and then I freak out that I’m freaking out about freaking out . . . and then comes the chicane, right on cue.
And then, right on cue, I started Pole in Race A and had the fastest lap for a couple laps and was 5 seconds ahead with one lap to go. I was trying not to freak out and stay confident, but then got greedy trying to get the fastest lap again. I spun out after turn 2 and ended up P3. I could have fought for P2 but it would have been kinda rude and maybe dirty so I just let it go and chalked it up to "I should have freaked out instead of getting a big head!"

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back