GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,365 comments
I understand the complaints about this week’s race A but I quite enjoyed my first attempt.

CA4D1949-3794-453F-9874-AD8E375880A2.jpeg

Just jumped in the first session that came up, no practise or quali laps. First time using the Mustang online. 11th to 5th and a fastest lap.

Benefits of still being down in C lobbies.

when a race ends a Countdown timer counts to zero until you are back at the end screen where you can chat with the other drivers for about 3 minutes. why are others already writing when i get there? is there a way to get there faster?

An observation from my side having just completed my first Race C.

It was clear that you must use softs - fine. I was starting 3rd and assumed since we have the hard tire option, strategy would either be one stop H/ S or else 2 stops using just the soft each time.

Nope! You can 1 stop using just softs so what's even the point of having hards? And where is the strategy element? I still managed 8th and had 3 in front of me having pitted on lap 8 after realizing others just pitted once on lap 7 onto softs again..

Does anyone at PD ever watch a race? Do they not even know how to actually balance tire wear rate to make it even matter to have different tire compounds? 🫣😤🙄🤐

I hate when you have one meta car and you absolutely have to use it, otherwise you look like jackass. Why are they so poor in balancing this stuff? I really wanted to give my BMW McLaren '97 a go but it's futile, way too slow on straights.

So looking forward to 16 CLK's whole week every day in race C 🙄

At least I'll have latest Mercedes F1 livery applied.

Watching a stream of race c I see the quick guys are slamming it into 1st gear at 80mph to lock the car and get rotation. I’ve never watched the CLK race in the 90s but I’m guessing this isn’t what they did.
One issue with computer games, you can always exploit the rules and physics. Saw some racing F1 22 and in real life the cars hate the curbs yet these top racers on the computer game were able to drive the curbs as if they weren’t even there.

It was clear that you must use softs - fine. I was starting 3rd and assumed since we have the hard tire option, strategy would either be one stop H/ S or else 2 stops using just the soft each time.

Nope! You can 1 stop using just softs so what's even the point of having hards? And where is the strategy element? I still managed 8th and had 3 in front of me having pitted on lap 8 after realizing others just pitted once on lap 7 onto softs again..

Does anyone at PD ever watch a race? Do they not even know how to actually balance tire wear rate to make it even matter to have different tire compounds? 🫣😤🙄🤐
Yeah they is no strategy at all in race c. Everyone pitted on lap 7, so it basically turned out to be who ever was the fastest and not to make a mistake won.
Think they should have left it as soft and medium, both mandatory as you would have a bit verity in strategy

Oh boy, maybe I'm just not a racer.

I did some qualifying laps with the GTR in the déjà-vu race B and ended up with a 1:47:1. Not to shabby for my humble expectations, I thought, and chose to run a race.

Pole position, my first in quite some time. P2 was 0.7 seconds slower, sounds good, right? But I started with my usual mistake when I'm within the top positions on the grid: not knowing where to brake in turn 1 because of the slower speed compared to a flying lap, I brake way to early, drive awkwardly through the first chicane and get swallowed up. From then on, now in P2, I'm unable to get any consistency and lose 5 seconds on him until the end of the race. Well, at least, there's a crash behind me in the chicane of death, and I'm 3.5 seconds ahead of P3 after the first lap. Of course this isn't anywhere near enough. When I realise the gap goes down to 2.9, I get super nervous, drive even worse, and halfway through lap 4 he is right behind me. Oh no, it's an Alfa! He will surely punt me, so I don't dare to go defensive in the hairpin, leave way to much space, and he passes me easily. P3 in the end, and I feel like a weakling. To rub it in, I get awarded a clean race bonus.

Yeah, I'm just not a racer.

I’ve been driving around DTS for almost 5 years now and yet I still crash at the chicane of death more than any other corner in the game.
It's the only place that I can count on screwing up at least once a race. But when you get it just right, it feels sooooo good!

Oh boy, maybe I'm just not a racer.

I did some qualifying laps with the GTR in the déjà-vu race B and ended up with a 1:47:1. Not to shabby for my humble expectations, I thought, and chose to run a race.

Pole position, my first in quite some time. P2 was 0.7 seconds slower, sounds good, right? But I started with my usual mistake when I'm within the top positions on the grid: not knowing where to brake in turn 1 because of the slower speed compared to a flying lap, I brake way to early, drive awkwardly through the first chicane and get swallowed up. From then on, now in P2, I'm unable to get any consistency and lose 5 seconds on him until the end of the race. Well, at least, there's a crash behind me in the chicane of death, and I'm 3.5 seconds ahead of P3 after the first lap. Of course this isn't anywhere near enough. When I realise the gap goes down to 2.9, I get super nervous, drive even worse, and halfway through lap 4 he is right behind me. Oh no, it's an Alfa! He will surely punt me, so I don't dare to go defensive in the hairpin, leave way to much space, and he passes me easily. P3 in the end, and I feel like a weakling. To rub it in, I get awarded a clean race bonus.

Yeah, I'm just not a racer.
P3 is a solid result! And I guarantee you every player has had experiences like this, without exception.

you can set an auto message /greeting

Speaking of... I raced against a "Steve" last week whose auto-greeting was "I race clean until you don't!". Predictably Steve was prone to dive-bombing and punt-to-pass, and when others returned the favour, Steve flipped and went full rage. Last time I saw Steve he was going full throttle across the grass, successfully T-boning someone else and ruining both their races.

I’ve been driving around DTS for almost 5 years now and yet I still crash at the chicane of death more than any other corner in the game.

The Chicane of Death was a bit harder in GT7 at launch, compared to GT Sport, but that 1.13 update made those curbs very unpredictable, making it far easier to bounce off them into the wall.

Loved the Chicane of Death in GT Sport, fear the Chicane of Death in GT7.

I think there being no DR in race A is encouraging people to try out the non-meta parts of their garages. Had another go, 9 different cars in the top 10 grid slots.

Actually did the qualification this time, P2 but a second behind the WRX on pole. Got past early and let for a couple of laps, but they were too consistently fast for me. Finished P2, a rare podium for me. Wishing it was ranked now.

Don’t sleep on the Mustang, in the lower levels at least. I was pulling away from AMGs and Supras on the straight, it flies.

P3 is a solid result! And I guarantee you every player has had experiences like this, without exception.
Yeah, right, normally I would see it that way, too. But actually, I've had races where I ended up 7th or 9th which I felt way better afterwards, because I had been able to put up a fight. I'm just way to nervous when I'm in a good position and drive like my dead grandmother. Don't know what to do about it except: more races...

Having said what I said in my previous post just got another win in my first race in CLK in race C!

20220711_232235.jpg

1:19.068 pole lap, B/S group, lead the whole race. Still, a lot to improve in terms of driving on this track with different stages of tyre deg. Last corner is nightmare in this wide car.

Is there a proper way to crash?

Everytime I crash I'm facing the opposite direction and the wheel goes crazy like it's trying to break cement. I see everyone else respawn nicely facing the right direction.

I quit my race this morning hitting the chicane, facing the wrong way, with everycar behind me ghosting through me. If I didn't quit in time I would have turned solid. :dunce:
I'm still getting used to using the wheel instead of the controller and this happens to me every time I hit the wall. It's frustrating because, on the controller, I was actually really good at recovering from collisions. I guess there's a learning curve to crashing as well or maybe it's just harder, in general, to recover with the wheel.

So today, as I saw we had Race A in GT 3 Machinery with no DR/SR Effects, I thought perfect let’s give this Wonderful Track a try and see if my assumptions about PD ditching them would back up my Theory which i have stated already many many years ago.
Absolutely confirmed.
I knew it.
So, I had 8 Minutes left and decided to jump into my Brutally Lamborghini with its gorgeous Livery.
Boy that think drives like a charm and is super quick once you get the feeling for its Engine Layout.
After 3Laps I set my Qualy Time to start the race as the counter was ticking down.

The Racing was super clean, super fair and very competitive.
I was sweating like S…. 😅
And of course I binned it 😂
Whatever until that point it was super fun and very respectful driving from all Pilots across the Track.
That’s what I like, what I want to see, Shoutout to @NAXEHT and @GOTMAXPOWER 💪🏻
After that first race I got addicted and tried all different Cars together with @NAXEHT .
We went with the Peugeot, the next one we did in the R8 and it was super duper Close until we crossed the Finishing Line.
After that I jumped into my beloved Beauty the wonderful Ferrari 458, that thing is a Rocket.
It destroys EVERYTHING coming out of Corners. The Rotation is just abnormal.
I had a phenomenal Race with a very fast and Sportsmanlike Danish Dude.
I then gave the Beemer a go and to finish my Session I hopped into my Trustworthy Jaguar and had the pleasure to enjoy a fantastically Thrilling Race with @GOTMAXPOWER 👍

So, after these handful of Races what are actually my Conclusions which got backed up with my long ago mentioned Thoughts.

PD just MUST ditch the DR System. NOW.
FOREVER.
I said it before I say it now.
This current DR System is TOXIC.
Pure Poison.
It obfuscates Peoples Behavior in a very negative Way and therefore makes the whole Online Driving Experience a Tryhard Show.
Todays racing Experience was a prime Example of what Daily Racing COULD/MIGHT look like.
A respectful Place with similar Minded People sharing the same Passion.
Clean, fair and competitive Online Racing without any obscure and completely Point and Meaningless DR System which only Leads People to desperate driving and ruthless Behavior.
None of which was seen today.
Not a single time.
I‘m pleasantly surprised and looking forward to many more Races like these throughout this Week.
Clean and competitive Racing is possible even without a strict Penalty System.
It’s us.
It’s our decision to make them clean.
We are better than any super sensitive Penalty System.
It’s about gaining respect for our driving Skills, driving clean and fair.
That’s what PD MUST aim for and put their Focus on.
To enforce People to drive respectful and prudent.
Matching People by some sort of “Contact“ System.
And then as we improve our “Contact“ Rating to a certain Level, then DR Points can be earned.
NOT BEFORE.
That way People will learn that only Contact Free Racing will actually earn them DR if that’s all they are after.
I still don’t get why PD doesn’t realize how BIG of an Improvement some Minor changes would affect this Game and make GT7 most probably the greatest Console Racing Platform for the established and more so for a completely new Playerbase.
Come on PD, Kaz, you the Man 😉

So today, as I saw we had Race A in GT 3 Machinery with no DR/SR Effects, I thought perfect let’s give this Wonderful Track a try and see if my assumptions about PD ditching them would back up my Theory which i have stated already many many years ago.
Absolutely confirmed.
I knew it.
So, I had 8 Minutes left and decided to jump into my Brutally Lamborghini with its gorgeous Livery.
Boy that think drives like a charm and is super quick once you get the feeling for its Engine Layout.
After 3Laps I set my Qualy Time to start the race as the counter was ticking down.

Whatever until that point it was super fun and very respectful driving from all Pilots across the Track.
After that first race I got addicted and tried all different Cars together with @NAXEHT .
We went with the Peugeot, the next one we did in the R8 and it was super duper Close until we crossed the Finishing Line.
After that I jumped into my beloved Beauty the wonderful Ferrari 458, that thing is a Rocket.
I then gave the Beemer a go and to finish my Session I hopped into my Trustworthy Jaguar and had the pleasure to enjoy a fantastically Thrilling Race with @GOTMAXPOWER 👍

So, after these handful of Races what are actually my Conclusions which got backed up with my long ago mentioned Thoughts.

FOREVER.
Pure Poison.
It obfuscates Peoples Behavior in a very negative Way and therefore makes the whole Online Driving Experience a Tryhard Show.
Todays racing Experience was a prime Example of what Daily Racing COULD/MIGHT look like.
Clean, fair and competitive Online Racing without any obscure and completely Point and Meaningless DR System which only Leads People to desperate driving and ruthless Behavior.
Not a single time.
I‘m pleasantly surprised and looking forward to many more Races like these throughout this Week.
It’s us.
And then as we improve our “Contact“ Rating to a certain Level, then DR Points can be earned.
NOT BEFORE.
That way People will learn that only Contact Free Racing will actually earn them DR if that’s all they are after.
I still don’t get why PD doesn’t realize how BIG of an Improvement some Minor changes would affect this Game and make GT7 most probably the greatest Console Racing Platform for the established and more so for a completely new Playerbase.
It's an interesting thought but the game needs a ranking system for good matchmaking. But they could try to make it invisible or somehow have less importance. Because visible stats do indeed dictate some peoples' behaviours. Shooters - even TEAM based shooters that unfortunately put an emphasis on kill/death always leads to some players NOT being team players because they play scared and want to protect their K/D. It's literally counter to the game's point of existing.

But if you make the ranks invisible, I'm sure a lot of people would lose motivation to play. Ego is a powerful thing, however misled it might be.

From my experience (I only have 53 total races in GT7), high B is the place to be. People, for the most part, only seem to care about the positive racing experiences and likely have enough going on in their lives to not put so much pressure and anxiety on themselves to be in any rush to rank up.

But, anyway, I don't get the big deal about DR. Gaining DR is just as easy as losing DR in this game, unlike many other rank based games. It's a nice stat to keep an eye on but to put so much importance on it is going to negatively affect your enjoyment of the game unless you're a superstar who only wins.

TL;DR, I blame the players more than I blame PD. And it looks like PD has tried something new with the tiered GTWS seasons.

It's an interesting thought but the game needs a ranking system for good matchmaking.
Lap Times, it’s so so easy.
@Sven Jurgens said it religiously times after times too. Actually he prays it for years 😅 Amen Sven
They should first and foremost match People by their Lap Times.
That’s Filter Stage 1
Than could come Stage 2 the “Contact Rating“ let’s call it CR
And if you manage to keep your Nose clean for a certain amount of Races, than STage 3 would come into play, actually DR Points which can only be earned as long as you keep your CR at or above a certain Level.
It could be even done with the current SR System partly.
As soon as you make avoidable Contact you don’t gain DR.
It’s simple.
Play clean, you’ll be rewarded.
Actually make the nice to have CRB a Clean Points Bonus.
No clean no points.

Last edited:
Absolutely confirmed.
I knew it.

FOREVER.
Pure Poison.
Not a single time.
It’s us.
NOT BEFORE.
There's a lobby mode. You could be making custom lobbies and having all the great races you want instead of rinse and repeat races all the time. Why stick to sport mode if you hate the ranking system so much?

There's a lobby mode. You could be making custom lobbies and having all the great races you want instead of rinse and repeat races all the time. Why stick to sport mode if you hate the ranking system so much?
That’s what I do actually quite a lot to be fair. I also absolutely enjoy and have a blast racing the AI in my Custom Races.
To be honest that’s what I enjoy the most and therefore I might have had my Blast of the Year today racing in Sport Mode.
It felt almost identical to my Custom Race Experiences.
I don’t think I ever said that I “Hate“ the Ranking System.
The Problem is that it’s completely contraproductive.
It should enforce People to play Fair.
It’s called Sport Mode.
Sport for me always got something to do with Rules and respect. I‘m a Sportsman in my Private Life.
As Long as we obey the Rules, we have a great Experience I think you agree.
So, on the other Hand if not the whole Scenario becomes a Cheat Show.
We don’t want that.
I don’t want that and many others too.
Sport Mode Ranking System should enforce and motivate and Reward People for obeying the Rules.
PD are the ones Setting them up the way they do.
My opinion is that it could, should and is easily to improve with some minor Changes.
Rules.
It’s all about them Rules 🙂

The simplest solution is a better SR system. There may be too much risk in scaring away more players than gaining new ones if you install something drastic. It's essentially an eSports mode, in the end. And with that, competition is going to be the main driver of engagement, not just fun and clean racing. And I think we all do want it to remain competitive. I just think a more punitive SR system can do wonders. At this point, people literally tank their SR to a certain point so they can gain DR. That makes no sense. I think a few tweaks could fix it because I like the penalty system the way it is right now.

Last edited:
Sgt. Dumbass reporting for duty...

First Daily Race in nearly 6 weeks. Race C. Qualified 3rd and was enjoying a nice pacey race a second or so behind the front 2.

Pit stop comes, for SOME REASON I decide to change into 6th Gear as the screen changes and my X input chooses Don't Change Tyres....

Got a bit of practice on pit entry/exit I suppose...

Yeah I'm personally convinced PD doesn't playtest their Daily combos. The hards are totally irrelevant and it'll just be CLK and S/S pit on lap 7 all week.

I'm making my return to my favorite original track in Dragon Trial in the GT-R which I bought and will put a custom livery on to stand out from the rentals. I'm having a tough time getting the quick right hand kink turn down correctly. I can't run over it like in Sport.
It's sending me all over the place resulting in a loss of time there for sure. Some problems with the CoD, but that's to be expected. Despite my troubles I have set a time of 1:48.111. I'd like to get to a 1:47.9XX or better. Back at it tomorrow and looking forward to Race B this week.

Back