GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,320 comments
I’m really enjoying Race C this week. Yes, there’s no strategy required and, yes, they’re mostly one make races, but it’s such a fun track to drive and so rewarding when you get it right.

I finally managed to break into the 1:17s in qualifying which has ensured I’m racing at the pointy end with some great drivers, and so far I am holding my own and winning more than my fair share. It also means there’s almost no contact and absolutely no dirty driving. Just a really satisfying experience.

I'm a bit bummed that Race A is another BoP GR3 event, but I suppose they are going with what's popular. I'm loving the Evo for it.

a16c630fddef1b14528d204bd65ad8a9_photo.webp

You can lose a fair bit of SR and still be SR S. I think S is down to 82 if I remember correctly. You’ll be matched into SR drop splits once you’re below 92 or so…
But you can also drop very quickly if you get caught up in THAT kind of races... Luckily the SR rating gets up quickly too, if you concentrate on it. One sunny day at Yamagiwa I went down from S to B up to S again three times. The final climb to S required some, let's say, extremely conservative driving (=behind the pack😜)...
Is the key to a fast time going through the chicane of death at full speed
I tried it exactly two times: the first time and the last time...

(Okay this was a cheap try at translating a mildly funny german saying, don't know if it comes across)

So, my honest opinion would be: no, too risky.

Really miss KudosPrime where you were able to see SR history. SR history gave a more accurate and complete picture of Sportsmanship.

Personally I took more pride in SR when I was able see my history. Now if feels as though it's all internal information and I can't see or do anything about it.

I’m really enjoying Race C this week. Yes, there’s no strategy required and, yes, they’re mostly one make races, but it’s such a fun track to drive and so rewarding when you get it right.

I finally managed to break into the 1:17s in qualifying which has ensured I’m racing at the pointy end with some great drivers, and so far I am holding my own and winning more than my fair share. It also means there’s almost no contact and absolutely no dirty driving. Just a really satisfying experience.
I might be tempted to have a few races tonight then, I've qualified at 1:17.811 but was unsure whether to risk any races or not...

Judging by what I’m reading here, if somebody (nobody particular in mind, you understand...) wanted some easy/easier wins, the thing to do would be to get SR S and dump your DR as low as poss. So you’d be racing clean but slower drivers. Is that right? Or would one win for a DR E driver put them immediately back up to B or something?
My DR pretty much stays mid to high B with (in GTS) occasional forays into A, but my SR has been all over since starting GT7. It seems to drop even if it’s other people hitting me. I may be wrong, but I don’t remember it being quite the same in GTS. I stayed S even after very rough races. I think.
As a DR B in GT7 I seem to be winning only about one in ten races (75%-ish finishing top 5) whereas back in GTS it was almost one in four. Tbf, only done about 60-something races in 7 so far, so a bit early to worry about stats.
As a DS4/x&square driver with limited time to play I think this is about the best it’ll get, so SR is my only hope to escape the lunacy I’m encountering. If my theory is right, building SR by being ultra careful might tank my DR for a bit, but then I might be racing those clean but slower people. Hmm...

Judging by what I’m reading here, if somebody (nobody particular in mind, you understand...) wanted some easy/easier wins, the thing to do would be to get SR S and dump your DR as low as poss. So you’d be racing clean but slower drivers. Is that right? Or would one win for a DR E driver put them immediately back up to B or something?
My DR pretty much stays mid to high B with (in GTS) occasional forays into A, but my SR has been all over since starting GT7. It seems to drop even if it’s other people hitting me. I may be wrong, but I don’t remember it being quite the same in GTS. I stayed S even after very rough races. I think.
As a DR B in GT7 I seem to be winning only about one in ten races (75%-ish finishing top 5) whereas back in GTS it was almost one in four. Tbf, only done about 60-something races in 7 so far, so a bit early to worry about stats.
As a DS4/x&square driver with limited time to play I think this is about the best it’ll get, so SR is my only hope to escape the lunacy I’m encountering. If my theory is right, building SR by being ultra careful might tank my DR for a bit, but then I might be racing those clean but slower people. Hmm...
Best way for wins without having the hassle of destroying your DR is to drop your SR. You’ll find the qualy times much slower in SR drop splits. Every time I’ve gone down I’ve ended up starting pole and got easy wins. If you’re only after the win stats then racing in DR well below your pace is the best way but sooner or later you’ll hit your level again.

Last edited:
A peer rating system would be interesting. (thumbs up, thumbs down) But only as an information displayed and not affecting the DR/SR rating. Otherwise it would be abused.

Last edited by a moderator:
DR is a rating. If you drop your rating to get wins, after those wins you're back to where you started.

People do this pad stats like wins, poles, etc... but the wall you are facing remains the same.

Best way for wins without having the hassle of destroying your DR is to drop your SR. You’ll find the qualy times much slower in SR drop splits. Every time I’ve gone down I’ve ended up starting pole and got easy wins. If you’re only after the win stats then racing in DR well below your pace is the best way but sooner or later you’ll hit your level again.

Aw, just when I had it all worked out, now you’re making my head hurt. 😂

Is this just impressions, or is it proven. Why would lower SR be a better indicator of slower drivers than low DR?

Edit: and no, I’m not really bothered about easy wins, I’d be happy to maintain my current one in ten ratio, I’m just trying to understand the ‘system’, hoping there’s somewhere, some perfect combi of SR/DR that’ll give me a break from the clowns.
I think I’d like to like the online races, I’m just struggling with it.

Last edited:
Aw, just when I had it all worked out, now you’re making my head hurt. 😂

Is this just impressions, or is it proven. Why would lower SR be a better indicator of slower drivers than low DR?
Makes my head hurt too! The numbers are all proven from years of tracking them in GTS. The easier wins in lower SR races is just from experience, im sure many others here will echo the sentiment. Exactly why that’s the case I’m not sure I could articulate. @Sven Jurgens where are you! He’s the man for this discussion.

Definitely. I've had my DR drop a couple of ranks and found wins quite easy to come by.

Having just clawed my SR back to S, I would not recommend dropping that on purpose. Nothing worse than racing with the morons.

Incidentally, using a 2nd account or manipulating your rank to play against worse players is known in the gaming community as "smurfing". It's generally considered poor sportsmanship. Certain games seem much more sensitive to it than others.

There’s at least one or two race-marring nutcases in every field, and the sad thing is they’re often decent drivers. It’s enough to really put me off, I just don’t want to waste any of my time with muppets. I don’t know how the regulars on this thread accept it, there must be a personality type that allows certain people to live with it.
Just even the score with them. What's the problem?

I am a bit disappointed that some people, especially between Turn 1 and Tunnel 1 exit in Race C like to side-swipe my rear bumper as it's the likeliest place to spin.. 3 of 5 races have turned out this way so far, all on lap 1...

On a side note, just managed a 1:46:3 for Dragon Tail so will have a few races there today 🙂

A lot f people simply won’t wait though, try to push through ASAP, and I wonder if it’s because they’re trained to do that by chasing the rabbits in the single player game. Not a big problem if they’re fair, but you never know which one’s going to be a muppet and punt you...
This is absolutely true. I find myself driving very differently with the AI and doing things I'd never do against human opponents. What I need to work on, however, is to find that line between competitive and dirty in the online races, and tread just this side of clean. I haven't been able to find that balance though, and just err on the side of backing down too easily.
I'm a bit bummed that Race A is another BoP GR3 event, but I suppose they are going with what's popular. I'm loving the Evo for it.

a16c630fddef1b14528d204bd65ad8a9_photo.webp
I was trying the Evo out at Nurburgring last week and it treated me well, but just not quick enough on that track. I was curious how it does at Catalunya, so thanks for that input. I may give it a try again.
But you can also drop very quickly if you get caught up in THAT kind of races... Luckily the SR rating gets up quickly too, if you concentrate on it. One sunny day at Yamagiwa I went down from S to B up to S again three times. The final climb to S required some, let's say, extremely conservative driving (=behind the pack😜)...
It's funny, because this is exactly how I got SR S in the first weekend I ever did online racing a few months ago. I didn't qualify so I started in the back of the pack and advanced as they all knocked each other out. Because I avoided contact on purpose (I was too timid as a newbie anyway) and didn't do anything nasty I was promoted almost instantly. And I also went up from an DR E to a D grade almost as quickly just by not getting knocked out or rage quitting!

Now if I could only figure out how to keep my DR at B level . . . . But not this week.
I think maybe this is how I got the only two wins I ever had. I somehow started pole on two races and those are the ones I won, clearly because I was in a slower lobby with C and D drivers who were SR S. (I'm bouncing between C & B right now, by the way)

Last edited:
I am a bit disappointed that some people, especially between Turn 1 and Tunnel 1 exit in Race C like to side-swipe my rear bumper as it's the likeliest place to spin.. 3 of 5 races have turned out this way so far, all on lap 1...

On a side note, just managed a 1:46:3 for Dragon Tail so will have a few races there today 🙂

Holy cow. That's an impressive lap, you... err... alien. 😜😇

Holy cow. That's an impressive lap, you... err... alien. 😜😇

🤣🤣

I lose half a second at the COD by slightly lifting on entry. No way in hell flat out on a controller. Was watching ghosts while doing the laps and that's where I go from 1 car length behind to 4 🫤

He (or she) posts enough for me to see this isn’t a language problem. He’s decided to specifically call me out for using alleged unacceptable language, which if he wasn’t pretty confident in his own English abilities would be pretty odd, wouldn’t it? I’m one of the best foreign (non-Asian anyway) Japanese speakers I know (even if I do say so myself!), 30 years using the language and half of that time in Japan, and I’d still be very, very wary of calling out a J native speaker on what’s acceptable language for a given situation. So I think I can safely say he’s pretty sure of himself.

But anyway, that aside, he’s also misquoting me, putting ludicrous words in my mouth. That’s the real problem. I didn’t say what he’s saying I said. And I know he knows that. He’s made many good posts here without doing anything similar. It’s lying, and it’s aimed at me, and I’m asking him why.

Thanks for that info re SR. But I have no idea what those numbers mean (82, 92). I assume it’s a rating. Where can we see them?

You / They presuppose things and ways of thinking as well as skills, which I really wonder how YOU / SHE come up with. In fact, I translate 95% of the messages I read and write from or into my language to make sure I understand it correctly. This also applies to your post, which I translated directly in the browser... When I write messages at work, I use Google's translation. When I write from my cell phone, I use the translator stored in the browser (Samsung cell phone).... Why... because unfortunately I have to admit that I have a language problem from time to time. I only got average grades in grammar and spelling, and ALL foreign languages are an even bigger problem for me.
You are welcome to criticize yourself or make fun of me.... I had translated your post and it came across as very harsh to me and I then took the liberty of interpreting this translation. By the way, it's similar with things that I write and then have them translated. It can also quickly sound harder than I meant it. Due to my deficits, I try to write as precisely as possible what I think/my... this can also backfire.

And to give just one example about the sometimes very inadequate translators. The apex of a curve, also called APEX, is mostly translated as "monkey" by my translators. After the translation, it reads something like this: "One should brake with decreasing braking force until the monkey stops and then leave the curve with full acceleration." That's only 1 word.. but it's so extremely pointless if several words are translated incorrectly OR/AND the sentence structure for our (German grammar) is incorrectly changed.... well.

But I have no interest in explaining myself further here. For ME, your message was to be understood the way I reacted to it, that can definitely be a problem of understanding... but if YOU are so educated, it will also be possible for you to overlook my shortcomings because of your superiority... .

You / They presuppose things and ways of thinking as well as skills, which I really wonder how YOU / SHE come up with. In fact, I translate 95% of the messages I read and write from or into my language to make sure I understand it correctly. This also applies to your post, which I translated directly in the browser... When I write messages at work, I use Google's translation. When I write from my cell phone, I use the translator stored in the browser (Samsung cell phone).... Why... because unfortunately I have to admit that I have a language problem from time to time. I only got average grades in grammar and spelling, and ALL foreign languages are an even bigger problem for me.
You are welcome to criticize yourself or make fun of me.... I had translated your post and it came across as very harsh to me and I then took the liberty of interpreting this translation. By the way, it's similar with things that I write and then have them translated. It can also quickly sound harder than I meant it. Due to my deficits, I try to write as precisely as possible what I think/my... this can also backfire.

And to give just one example about the sometimes very inadequate translators. The apex of a curve, also called APEX, is mostly translated as "monkey" by my translators. After the translation, it reads something like this: "One should brake with decreasing braking force until the monkey stops and then leave the curve with full acceleration." That's only 1 word.. but it's so extremely pointless if several words are translated incorrectly OR/AND the sentence structure for our (German grammar) is incorrectly changed.... well.

But I have no interest in explaining myself further here. For ME, your message was to be understood the way I reacted to it, that can definitely be a problem of understanding... but if YOU are so educated, it will also be possible for you to overlook my shortcomings because of your superiority...

You were saying I’d said (stupid) things I didn’t say, and I wanted to know why, that’s all. If that’s what your translation software was telling you I was writing, then I’d try something else if I were you, or at least not trust it too much, especially if you’re going to use it as a basis to attack people.

And please cut the sarky ‘YOU are so educated...your superiority’ stuff. Your posts are usually very good, you seemed to suddenly attack me out of nowhere, saying I’d said stuff I never said, I asked why, and you’ve now explained maybe something was lost in translation, that’s it, that’s all, I appreciate the explanation. What on earth has my education or ‘superiority’ got to do with it?

So thanks for explaining, and let’s forget it.

Ever race him? He doesn't go after people randomly. He doesn't even go after people who mess with him. He goes after people messing with others.

I don't encourage it. But he races more than I do and has more friends. He simply can not sit by while people he knows and respect get messed with.
Sounds like a good guy. I wonder if he accepts contracts?...

At the moment, I have put aside the worrying about ratings and have great fun in Race A, trying to get the beautiful and fun-to-drive-but-twitchy Aston Martin around the track as quickly as possible against an armada of ugly bugs, err... I mean Beetles.

Last edited:
At the moment, I have put aside the worrying about ratings and have great fun in Race A, trying to get the beautiful and fun-to-drive-but-twitchy Aston Martin around the track as quickly as possible against an armada of ugly bugs, err... I mean Beetles.
Makes me laugh that in Race A you the opportunity to go out and pick random cars, yet most people still pick the the Beetle.
Corvette been my fav car so far that ive used. Lambo definitely been the worst but still managed to pull of a top 5 finish in it

Makes my head hurt too! The numbers are all proven from years of tracking them in GTS. The easier wins in lower SR races is just from experience, im sure many others here will echo the sentiment. Exactly why that’s the case I’m not sure I could articulate. @Sven Jurgens where are you! He’s the man for this discussion.
Lol, time for a recap I see ;)

SR is the primary factor for matchmaking and works on a scale of 1 to 99.

You generally gain 0.3 to 0.4 SR for each clean sector you complete (actual amount depends on the race). Generally the longer the race, or rather the higher the total number of sectors, the more SR you can gain in a race. It can be as low as 3 SR total for a short sprint race or as high as 20 SR for a long race C.

You lose SR for contact with another car. This is not indicated anymore nowadays (no more SR Down arrows) so it's a bit of guess work what does trigger SR loss. If you get a contact penalty you lose 5 to 10 SR for that event. Without a penalty you lose 2 or 3 SR per contact.

SR ranges are E (1-9) D (10-19) C (20-39) B (40-64) A (65-79) S (80-99)
DR ranges are D (1-3,999) C (4,000-9,999) B (10,000-29,999) A (30,000-49,999) A+ (50,000-99,999)

Matchmaking works in ranges of 10 SR.

First the server collects all entries in 90-99 SR range, sorts them on DR and creates rooms from high to low DR.
Next it collects the entries in the 80-89 SR range, sorts them on DR and first adds the highest DR in this group to the left over spots in the last room of the previous group. Hence you can get A+/S together with D/S. The DR D player is in the 90-99 SR range, the A+ driver in the 80-89 range. It's a 'bug' that's been there since the beginning.

This works all the way down so it just keeps getting messier the further down the SR ranks matchmaking goes, and the lower the player count (available entries) gets. Say that last SR.S room still isn't full, next the highest DR SR A player gets added and so on.

The 80-89 range is a sweet spot for high DR players since they are likely to get added to the left over spots in the lowest DR room of the 90-99 SR players. Dropping below 90 SR means pole position and victory for high DR players. SR S is the biggest group (Too easy to gain SR and PD doesn't deduct SR for 90% of contacts) hence the sweet spot since it's the most likely place where there is a 'last room' with low DR players.

Another reason why races are easier in lower SR -> less aliens. In the top split you're always matched with the fastest A+ drivers who generally stick to SR.S. Those that value their DR the most will do anything to stay above SR.B since dropping 1.5 levels in SR below your DR letter means your DR will get reset to halfway the closer DR letter.

Drop below 50 SR as DR A+ and you'll be reset to 40K DR A.
Drop below 30 SR as DR A and you'll be reset to 20K DR B.
Drop below 15 SR as DR B and you'll be reset to 7K DR C.
Drop below 5 SR as DR C and you'll be reset to 3K DR D.

Your DR letter cannot advance past your SR letter. However that's of little consequence, you still gain DR and you still get matched on your numerical DR. You can have 35K DR and still be labeled DR.B if your SR has remained at B or lower. Once you reach SR A, your DR letter will be updated and then you get the 1,500 DR bonus for going up a rank. (Going down a rank you lose an extra 1,500 DR, unless you lost rank(s) by getting a DR reset)

Back