GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 37,057 comments
Laguna definitely feels like an estranged cousin of Brands Hatch, it's counter clockwise rather than clockwise and has sand instead of grass, but they're both narrow with lots of medium speed corners that have tricks to them, and some fun elevation changes.
Indeed they would both make lovely parking lots.

Has anyone actually gotten a full blown downpour on Spa so far this week? I've played a lot of Race C this but anecdotally I observe it seldom rains, and when it does it's but a light little sprinkle. I wonder have they changed the background calcs for rain spells?

In principle I love the idea of dynamic weather, but it should really have the power to dramatically alter race strategy.

Good racing though, really liking the new physics and the Gr4 meta isn't ridiculously dominant (although that Silvia is rapid at Spa).
I've had a massive downpour at race start that caused just total chaos, I had to quit out as I hadn't changed my tires for it, it was early in the Monday and I hadn't realised you need to enter warmup to check the current weather.

I managed to win one yesterday which rained pretty heavy late on. I had started 4th but been punted off while it was dry so was running ahead of the pack towards the backend when it started to rain just as I was approaching the pits. the car in front dived in and looking at the situation I figured why not and stuck on inters. By the time the front runners were up on the kemmel straight it was too late for them and cars were sliding around on the dry tires. While many did manage to make it back around to change, at that point I had the jump and though it got far too wet for inters on the last lap and a half I managed to drag it home.

Very satisfying result!

I remember reading a while back that the higer DR level you are, the more chance of rain, don't know if that's still true? I wonder if B lobbies then are basically 50/50.

At risk of going too off topic (this is what happens when I can’t race he he) I just took a look at the latest F1 race highlights. Now, not having watched F1 for over a decade I’ve no idea who these newer teams are or the names of the drivers but I got to say the Ozzie Grand Prix looked to be a bit of a banger! Just like the old days.

Now if they could all be like that. I.e. like a typical GT7 race 😁

In the 80's and 90's in F1 the driver winning the race was often about 30 seconds or more ahead of the number 2. In qualifying Schumacher often was on pole and a second ahead of the rest. Now in current F1 the differences are very small, but still usually one team and/or driver dominates, seems to be the DNA of the sport.

But it is a show at the moment, there are many spectacular races, and a lot of mixed strategy. And off course there was Abu Dhabi 2021..... Hate the moment or love the moment, it is as legendary as the 1976 season. (Disclaimer: not wanting to start a debate about the outcome of the particular race)

Personally i am liking the F1 a bit less at this moment then I did in the past. You would think that if a fellow countryman is dominating the sport that I would watch it more, but for me there are just to many races, and it is just a bit to clinical and to much of an artifical glamour show. To many races in the Middle East and in the US, where it seems it is more important which celebrities visit the paddock.

I like the MotoGP more, in all 3 classes there are so many cool personalities, and you still feel you are looking at people risking their life and limps. And off course Le Mans and ALMS are pure motorsport, prefer visiting races like Daytona or Spa 6 hours over any F1 race.

Last edited:
Beware of the bad karma!

I ran qualifying laps at Laguna Seca, having more or less sorted out how to drive there, and thought about doing the "evening trick", waiting for the sun to go down to make the track be a bit faster (don't know if it's even real or just imagination). So I parked my trusted Renault at the side of the track, made me a fine cup of coffee and relaxed for about twentyfive minutes.

Then I ran my first lap, felt quick, but overcooked it in the penultimate corner, spun off track to the right and swept away the 3 - 2 - 1 boards. You know, these things... that are absolutely necessary as my brake markers, to have a chance of getting the last corner right. Gone. Along with half an hour of my time.🤦‍♂️

Don't think I'll ever try that again...🤣

Is the current Race C not one of the best we had in a long time? I really enjoy this one and wished the week was longer then 7 days. The amount of 8 laps is not too short, the dynamic weather can make it really interesting and absolutely funny, and it also helps that Spa is one of my favourite circuits of all time. I'm trying to like the Silvia because of the META car that it is, but it's just not the car for me so I use the Ferrari 458. It's lacking some top speed maybe, but in the corners it's very planted and has a good amount of grip. I even had my own Schumacher/Hakkinen/Zonta moment once. Starting P4 I had a great run on the first lap on Kemmel Straight and overtook two cars to take P2. Later on the guy in front made a mistake so I took the lead and eventually took home the bacon!

Has anyone actually gotten a full blown downpour on Spa so far this week? I've played a lot of Race C this but anecdotally I observe it seldom rains, and when it does it's but a light little sprinkle. I wonder have they changed the background calcs for rain spells?

In principle I love the idea of dynamic weather, but it should really have the power to dramatically alter race strategy.

Good racing though, really liking the new physics and the Gr4 meta isn't ridiculously dominant (although that Silvia is rapid at Spa).
No, I've not seen any rain at all - some gloomy skies, and an occasional damp track, but not a spot of rain!

Still, it helps you quickly get past those in front of you that opt to start on wet tyres 😆

There is a bit of a massive game breaking flaw with the rain on GT7 which hasn't been fixed since the Le Mans daily a couple of months ago, the cars are drying the track far too much even when it's still raining, essentially it's acting like catchup so the cars behind have far more grip than the leaders. There are synced up screenshots here from the same point on the circuit to show how much drier the circuit is.

I had one race last night where it rained on the final lap whilst we were all on slicks, I gained 15 seconds on the leader to go from 8th to win just because the grip was so much higher, what was uncontrollable aquaplaning for P1 was driveable with a bit of caution deeper in the pack, cars behind gained even more so 11 cars were on top off each over by Stavelot. Total carnage.

Don't get me wrong I love the way the rain mixes up the races and I can see why PD have got the cars drying the track but it needs toning down to be realistic, as it is the races can turn into lotteries.

There is a bit of a massive game breaking flaw with the rain on GT7 which hasn't been fixed since the Le Mans daily a couple of months ago, the cars are drying the track far too much even when it's still raining, essentially it's acting like catchup so the cars behind have far more grip than the leaders.
coming next update….

1681294168465.jpeg

There is a bit of a massive game breaking flaw with the rain on GT7 which hasn't been fixed since the Le Mans daily a couple of months ago, the cars are drying the track far too much even when it's still raining, essentially it's acting like catchup so the cars behind have far more grip than the leaders. There are synced up screenshots here from the same point on the circuit to show how much drier the circuit is.

I had one race last night where it rained on the final lap whilst we were all on slicks, I gained 15 seconds on the leader to go from 8th to win just because the grip was so much higher, what was uncontrollable aquaplaning for P1 was driveable with a bit of caution deeper in the pack, cars behind gained even more so 11 cars were on top off each over by Stavelot. Total carnage.

Don't get me wrong I love the way the rain mixes up the races and I can see why PD have got the cars drying the track but it needs toning down to be realistic, as it is the races can turn into lotteries.
Wombleleader was just wondering out loud while streaming yesterday if each car was seeing the same weather map because of how strange the conditions were. This is a brilliant look at some of the issues that are affecting the weather races.

@Cabelmania I saw you right behind Wimbledon on one of the races at Spa, but you disappeared. Regardless, it’s cool to recognize people when watching those streams.

Is the current Race C not one of the best we had in a long time? I really enjoy this one and wished the week was longer then 7 days. The amount of 8 laps is not too short, the dynamic weather can make it really interesting and absolutely funny, and it also helps that Spa is one of my favourite circuits of all time. I'm trying to like the Silvia because of the META car that it is, but it's just not the car for me so I use the Ferrari 458. It's lacking some top speed maybe, but in the corners it's very planted and has a good amount of grip. I even had my own Schumacher/Hakkinen/Zonta moment once. Starting P4 I had a great run on the first lap on Kemmel Straight and overtook two cars to take P2. Later on the guy in front made a mistake so I took the lead and eventually took home the bacon!

The Gr4 458 is absolutely terrific with the new physics, I think it's great fun to drive and reasonable quick too...especially on hard tyres. It was very good last week at the Nurburgring Sprint too.

With the increased horsepower in the BoP changes, some of the Gr4 cars are now a handful on corner exit with hard tyres, some proper oversteer.

The 458 and Vantage are my current Gr4 favourites.

Crosspost from Reddit, I feel like here is more active:

Just had the one Daily B race so far this week with quite a bit of qualifying. I went from 4th to 8th, then to 2nd. All racing was clean. B/S ratings. Utterly brilliant race, one of the best I have ever had in GT7. Definitely a replay saved.

As an aside, am I imagining things, or have PD turned off Barrier Collision penalties for this race/circuit this week?

Currently only seeing track limit penalties, despite slamming into the wall on a number of occasions in qualifying.

Bravo if yes!

Also, out of curiosity, are there still barrier collision penalties in Race C this week too? Just wondering if it is track-specific.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wombleleader was just wondering out loud while streaming yesterday if each car was seeing the same weather map because of how strange the conditions were. This is a brilliant look at some of the issues that are affecting the weather races.

@Cabelmania I saw you right behind Wimbledon on one of the races at Spa, but you disappeared. Regardless, it’s cool to recognize people when watching those streams.
I would be interested to see one of the in depth Womble science videos on the weather/track drying like he has done on things like tyre wear in the past. At the moment things are happening that people don't understand and he does a good job of explaining, with a bit of luck he has enough clout for PD to take notice and tweak things too.

Check out Rory & Kies streams from yesterday. Both in the same race and it started raining mid race.
Rory stayed out while Kie pitted for inters.
Weather maps look the same

I don’t know how to tag the bit you need in the videos so out the time stamps below

rory 3hrs 35 for Rory’s perspective

kie 3hrs 40 for Kie perspective

Last edited:
Check out Rory & Kies streams from yesterday. Both in the same race and it started raining mid race.
Rory stayed out while Kie pitted for inters.
Weather maps look the same

I don’t know how to tag the bit you need in the videos so out the time stamps below

rory 3hrs 35 for Rory’s perspective

kie 3hrs 40 for Kie perspective

Thanks for the links, for comparison here are how the surface water gauge looks at the same point on the circuit (synced to the edge of the curb at Pouhon both in the middle of the road), just 6 seconds apart but having had 7 more cars drive over that section.

Comparison 1.jpg

This shows how big the difference is, if they were both on slicks the car in 2nd would be struggling to stay on the road, the car in 9th would be almost all full dry pace:

Comparison 2.jpg

I would be interested to see one of the in depth Womble science videos on the weather/track drying like he has done on things like tyre wear in the past. At the moment things are happening that people don't understand and he does a good job of explaining, with a bit of luck he has enough clout for PD to take notice and tweak things too.
I discovered his deep dive into tire temps last week. Because of him a got a telemetry app to track the tires. There’s a thread that covers these apps here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links, for comparison here are how the surface water gauge looks at the same point on the circuit (synced to the edge of the curb at Pouhon both in the middle of the road), just 6 seconds apart but having had 7 more cars drive over that section.

View attachment 1247229

This shows how big the difference is, if they were both on slicks the car in 2nd would be struggling to stay on the road, the car in 9th would be almost all full dry pace:

View attachment 1247230
If you watch Rory on lap 3 he is flying on those slick tyres, where as the others all spin out. It appears the further back you are the more the track dries and you have more grip. I know in real life a dryer line forms but not like how PD are portraying it

Last edited:

View attachment 1247229

View attachment 1247230
If you watch Rory on lap 3 he is flying on those slick tyres, where as the others all spin out. It appears the further back you are the more the track dries and you have more grip. I know in real life a dryer line forms but not like how PD are portraying it
I’m guessing PD have the time factor turned up way too high. This would (I think) explain the instant dry line and the ridiculous weather that rolls through in just a few seconds.

Yeah, the further back you are the drier the track but the interesting bit I noticed at Le Mans (when it was still raining in the stills I posted in the video earlier) is that the track had become wet again by the time the cars which had fallen behind the pack got to the same point and their conditions were similar to the leaders.

The track drying from cars driving over it is something which happens but PD have massively over exaggerated its effect.

I’m guessing PD have the time factor turned up way too high. This would (I think) explain the instant dry line and the ridiculous weather that rolls through in just a few seconds.
I don't think this is related to the time factor because it's specific to the drying just from cars driving over the wet track. The general track drying fast is another issue in my opinion, as you said probably related to the speed of the weather you see on the radar.

yeah that's my guess as well. Like obvs you've got to have some kind of measurement for how quickly a circuit will dry under traffic but you're right the trailing cars gain too much of an advantage over the leading cars encountering water for the "'first time".

That being said trailing cars should experience somewhat of a dryer line especially if the rain isn't that hard or has only just recently stopped, just they shouldn't gain as much as they currently do

They should disconnect the day time speed and weather changes. Quick day-night cycle fine, but complete weather changes in 1 minute are silly. There has to be some way to anticipate weather to a reasonable extent.

They should disconnect the day time speed and weather changes. Quick day-night cycle fine, but complete weather changes in 1 minute are silly. There has to be some way to anticipate weather to a reasonable extent.
I think the reason they don't is that 8 laps at spa with a normally moving weather pattern is either going to be all wet, all dry, or you'll have some damp spots for a lap or two but nothing of any import.

If dailies were longer then sure but even at 20 minutes per race that's not really long enough for a true to life weather pattern to exist. That and I'm certain that all the time dilation items are bundled together in the code base in such a way as to make it impossible without whole sale rebuilding to modify it.

The Veyron is fantastic wet and dry. I knew it was going to be fast, but what surprised me is that I'm not losing ground in the esses. And the weight is great, if you get a bully in a Silvia, they just bounce off...🤣

The Gr4 458 is absolutely terrific with the new physics, I think it's great fun to drive and reasonable quick too...especially on hard tyres. It was very good last week at the Nurburgring Sprint too.

With the increased horsepower in the BoP changes, some of the Gr4 cars are now a handful on corner exit with hard tyres, some proper oversteer.

The 458 and Vantage are my current Gr4 favourites.

Crosspost from Reddit, I feel like here is more active:

Just had the one Daily B race so far this week with quite a bit of qualifying. I went from 4th to 8th, then to 2nd. All racing was clean. B/S ratings. Utterly brilliant race, one of the best I have ever had in GT7. Definitely a replay saved.

As an aside, am I imagining things, or have PD turned off Barrier Collision penalties for this race/circuit this week?

Currently only seeing track limit penalties, despite slamming into the wall on a number of occasions in qualifying.

Bravo if yes!

Also, out of curiosity, are there still barrier collision penalties in Race C this week too? Just wondering if it is track-specific.
You are correct, barrier penalties are off for race C this week.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but it seem like Gr.4 cars don't brake very well anymore.
I just entered my first 2 races of the week (race C), and quit before completing two laps. I kept running into everybody. :embarrassed:
I guess I'll give race B a try. If it's no good, I guess I can do some GTA 5. :indiff:

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but it seem like Gr.4 cars don't brake very well anymore.
I just entered my first 2 races of the week (race C), and quit before completing two laps. I kept running into everybody. :embarrassed:
I guess I'll give race B a try. If it's no good, I guess I can do some GTA 5. :indiff:
I found a big improvement since the physics change by moving from ABS default to ABS weak - see if that helps

I gotta tell y'all, this thread has gotten much busier recently. It was easy to keep up when I checked in a couple of times an hour, but because I'm busy with something else right now I can't do that, and it feels like the world is passing me by.

So to all my friends here, please forgive me if I'm not mouthing off like normal, or at least as often. Or maybe just enjoy the quiet! 😂

I gotta tell y'all, this thread has gotten much busier recently. It was easy to keep up when I checked in a couple of times an hour, but because I'm busy with something else right now I can't do that, and it feels like the world is passing me by.

So to all my friends here, please forgive me if I'm not mouthing off like normal, or at least as often. Or maybe just enjoy the quiet! 😂
It's a new generation on this thread. Most of the OGs are gone now. :(

I did 4 races tonight with very mixed results. I tired to lower my qualifying time in between races but I couldn't do it.

Race 1 has me P3 to start but I screw up the corkscrew on lap 2 and finish P12. Not the best start.

Race 2 has me P4 and it went much better. I did get shoved out of the way twice by cars sticking their nose to make a pass and that annoyed me to no end. I do pull off a lovely cutback pass to keep a position in the final turn and finish P5 with a clean race bonus.

Race 3 has me start P2 and end P2. I couldn't catch P1 due to my complete lack of speed entering and exiting the corners. I did get the fastest lap and another clean race bonus.

My final race has me in P3 again, and I'm trying to make a pass for P2. I don't really know what happens next, but I'm on the brakes entering turn 3, the back end kicks out and I spin. I've never had that happen before. After that I had no grip on my tires like the dirt never went away on them. That leads to a spin exiting turn 6 and a P12 finish. Very frustrating to say the least.

Not the worst night of racing I've had. Just some dumb mistakes that cost me a bunch. Those sausage curbs are in my head and have me spooked enough not to attack the corners like I usually do. They're doing their job that's for sure. I'll be back at it tomorrow and let's hope I can keep it on the track.

PD needs to tweak the length of the races a bit. Been into B a bit and feel like it just doesn't produce good racing. Only desperate racing. Started in pole and had to defend against constant senders that would try moves they didn't have at the hairpins, the corkscrew, you name it. Ended up taking a guy out who went off track to get the inside on the final hairpin. Had another guy try to sneak through at the corkscrew. Ended up being called dirty for simply defending. There's just no winning when races are this short and no one has time to settle in. Managed a 1st and a 2nd today but doubt ill be touching Bs much moving forward. One or two more laps and I feel like they'd be fine.

Tried some different cars tonight to see if I could find a better QT for B race.

I did 4-5 laps in each car and the closest I could get to my RCZ time was in the 911 but still more than a half second slower than my current time in the RCZ.
Tried the Renault, hurrican and finally the 458. The 458 was the most fun to drive and sounds amazing but it was the slowest one for my driving skills.

Jumped into the RCZ again and didn’t improve my time but ran a few tenths off my best right away so I jumped into a race.

1:22.6 has me starting p14 in the A/S lobbies and coming out of auto drive just going into the corner is a rough way to start but I’m used to it now and manage it well.

First lap was clean and I made up three places due to a few taking off course safari’s. On lap 2-4 there were a few more spots made up by more spins and off track racers. Final lap I was in p9 thinking that was where I would finish but p7 went into the dirt on the right, came back across and knocked p8 off track to the left, p7 then swung right then just as I’m coming through he over corrected and came across to the left at me just before the right hand to the finish line. I basically grazed up the left side of him and as I passed him he continued into the dirt on the left side of the track unghosted but I survived.

Crazy journey from p14 to p7 for the finish but I am still gaining experience in tight traffic and plenty of reading what’s happening in front of me to practice quick reactions to dodge crashes and such.

Couldn’t call anything I saw dirty but instead lots of control issues causing carnage.

Finally got a wet Race C - could see it raining heavily at the warm up, so I switched to IM tyres. I thought I was the only one to do so, but P1 and P2 on the grid were also on IM.

Anyway, went from 14th to 3rd on the first lap! The rest of the field had to pit, or continue to struggle on the dry tyres, and it rained until lap 5. One guy caught and passed me 2 laps from the end, but he then spun on the last lap, leaving me to get back into P3 again!

P1 and P2 were in a different league, finishing less than a second apart, but 14 seconds ahead of me.

PD needs to tweak the length of the races a bit. Been into B a bit and feel like it just doesn't produce good racing. Only desperate racing. Started in pole and had to defend against constant senders that would try moves they didn't have at the hairpins, the corkscrew, you name it. Ended up taking a guy out who went off track to get the inside on the final hairpin. Had another guy try to sneak through at the corkscrew. Ended up being called dirty for simply defending. There's just no winning when races are this short and no one has time to settle in. Managed a 1st and a 2nd today but doubt ill be touching Bs much moving forward. One or two more laps and I feel like they'd be fine.

Agreed the shorter races A & B should always be around 10 minutes. Maybe except for oval short races. 6 or 7 minutes is just too little time to make up a bad quali lap.

Back