GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 37,051 comments
Unpopular opinion: PD's dynamic weather races suck.

-Most of the races have no weather at all.
-The ones that do, rarely even require a tire change.
-There isn't enough notice on whether or not one should change tires due to incoming rain. With a 50 mile radius weather map, weather coming in and covering you in 10 seconds, mean it's coming in at 18,000 mph (~29,000 kph). It's BS you can cross the S/F line and it's bone dry, but by T3 it's pouring. PD need to understand we don't have a whole crew watching these things with tons of advanced warning.
-GMP's video showing the track drying too quickly

Sure, some of them can be fun but the percentage is way too low, IMO. Every race should have weather changes enough to require a tire change (or be darn close to it). Being a 20 min long Race C, there is no reason we shouldn't be given like at least a lap's worth of notice (2 mins+). They sound great in theory, but the way they've been implemented is poor.

It's a shame, too, because we've had a couple GTWS races with dynamic weather that were fantastic. The Gr3 at Spa where it started with rain and they dried up. That was pretty fun.

Anyway, this coming from someone who's not done a single lap of C this week (but have watched streamers do a bunch of races) as due to all the aforementioned reasons I have no interest.
Kinda have to agree with you on that.

Le Mans - that race was ruined by the long pit stop time, combined with the long lap. Never made sense in that race at all to stop.

Spa - the long pit stop again making pitting not worth it unless you really have too. But I think the biggest problem in this race is the tyre wear. When the track dries and people stay out on inters, this is the big issue from me. After 3/4 laps on a dry track those inters should be cooked and should degrade massively, but from what I’ve seen the lap difference between inters and hards is only about 5/6 seconds (might test this) and the tyres just last.

As for the speed of the weather. I get that the weather moves fast, as it’s trying to simulate maybe a 2/3 hour race into 20mins, but doing this causes problems. Weather moves too fast, weather doesn’t last long enough and the track dries too quickly. Having these 3 factors in a 8 lap race just negates the pit stop. Also the races are too short to really use weather.

Radar, I’m sure they gave us a 100 miles radius at the start?

I think PD need to make a few improvements on these dynamic races.
1. Pre race weather estimate. In the lobby before a race just a simple weather icons timeline. Could be as simple as two icons required, sun/cloud ⛅️ & rain 🌧️ e.g. anytime within 5 mins ⛅️, 10 mins 🌧️, 15 mins 🌧️, 20 mins ⛅️
Anyone that plays ACC, I think their dynamic weather system is pretty good. Simple but effective.
2. Larger radar. If the weather is moving fast like it is at Spa, then make the radius bigger.
3. Include tyre wear or make the wet tyres burn up quicker on a dry track.
4. Add a new Daily D Race every few weeks or so just for dynamic weather. The race runs every hour (like GTWS), 5/10 mins quali. Then a 40-45mins race. I’ve done custom lobby races that have been 12+ laps minimum and when you add weather to these races they produce some brilliant racing. Plus the weather hangs around for a bit longer which also makes pitting worth while.

Whatever happened to GOTNOBRAKES?
I used to see it every once in a while in GTS. I don't believe I've seen it yet in GT7.
Come race with me, one of these days. :)
It still exists 🙂 I did some races on there a while ago but barely use it compared to GTS, the races in Europe feel a lot better for whatever reason now.

I need to show up for a DRWF at some point too, it's been over a year.

It still exists 🙂 I did some races on there a while ago but barely use it compared to GTS, the races in Europe feel a lot better for whatever reason now.
Why? None of those Europeans know how to drive.
Really, it's like this guy trying to answer a direct question. No clue.
Joe Biden Reaction GIF by CBS News

Don't just lay in the weeds for some easy prey. Come get some of this American action.
American Flag GIF

"Hi. My name is Grumpy Old Man, and I'm an addict." I can't stay away from the sweet nectar of my imagination which insists things will be different this time. I don't think that metaphor worked like I thought it would. Whatever. Addicted and insane. But momentarily happy. It won't last.

View attachment 1247623

Congrats and welcome back.
I’m glad you got a B race that was decent. Savor it while you can.

I haven’t done a bunch of B races by any means but I haven’t had the bad races that keep getting brought up in so many reports.

I spent about an hour trying to improve my QT tonight but I couldn’t drop it. Within .01 seconds but not even a tenth of a second to be had so I jumped in a race before finishing for the evening.

My starts have been p10-p14 due to my qt and my one race tonight started p13.
First lap I moved up one position and starting lap two I made two more positions before the corkscrew.

As I came around the last turn on lap 2, there were cars ghosting everywhere due to some sort of pileup and I moved into p7 which I held until the end. Most of my finishes at Laguna Seca this week have been p7 and I’m happy with the results overall. We’ll see what the final days of this combo bring.

Fun racing again and no dirty driving experienced but I know this has been the exception so I’ll take it for a change.

Personally I don't think it makes sense that we should know exactly how the weather will progress in the race. We have a radar and visual cues, and like in real life you make a choice based on the information you have at hand. Sometimes you get it wrong. The only problem is pit loss is way to big relative to the race time, as that's the one thing they haven't scaled to suit a shorter race.
No one's really asking for it to be mapped out exactly, or the same thing every time, only that it makes sense as relates to the same situation in the real world.

As others have said, the radar can be full wet for 50 miles but within 3 turns it's gone, this just doesn't make sense and makes it impossible to strategise against the weather as you'd imagine would be the intention of this.

Even just making it very clear and obvious which tire to start on would produce a number of different reactions to weather later in the race. Some would still pit early, some late, some try and stay out and fail, others may succeed etc. People will react differently to try and gain the advantage, as it is now its basically a dice roll you need to make and not something you react to in a natural way.

This means you can get the odd great race, but the rest are often just comical, wacky races silliness.

Yeah, that's what friends are for...🤣
My DR took a beating this week on main account 😭 Hanging on to A by a thread thanks to getting murdered to death each and every single race! Was half-way through the progress bar on Monday lol.

Thankfully, before I went to sleep hopped on 2nd account and FINALLY had a clean one 🎉 Some good racing with a particular driver too, even thanked him after for allowing me to live 😂

Attachments

• 1877cb2302726-screenshotUrl.jpg
    1877cb2302726-screenshotUrl.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 14
  • 1877cb2101499-screenshotUrl.jpg
    1877cb2101499-screenshotUrl.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 14
My DR took a beating this week on main account 😭 Hanging on to A by a thread thanks to getting murdered to death each and every single race! Was half-way through the progress bar on Monday lol.

Thankfully, before I went to sleep hopped on 2nd account and FINALLY had a clean one 🎉 Some good racing with a particular driver too, even thanked him after for allowing me to live 😂

At the moment I'm only doing some races A from time to time. I'm suffering from "don't lose SR"-paranoia 😆, and still got PTSD at Laguna Seca from the Civic races last year, so I won't go there. I'm hoping for a friendlier race B next week...

On the other hand, I've finished the TT with the delivery van at Autopolis on position 204 worldwide, so I might just say that it won't get any better than this and peacefully retire, without getting into the madness of daily races anymore...🤣

Well, or maybe not...

My DR has taken a beating from Laguna so far this week. Its 50/50 between skill issue and folk going for a gap that is closing rapidly on them.

Race C I like but only 1 time have I had rain come in that makes you think what to do. Even then its over and drying by the time you've made up your mind.

Like a lot of this game the potential is there, just that the application fails to take full advantage.

No one's really asking for it to be mapped out exactly, or the same thing every time, only that it makes sense as relates to the same situation in the real world.

As others have said, the radar can be full wet for 50 miles but within 3 turns it's gone, this just doesn't make sense and makes it impossible to strategise against the weather as you'd imagine would be the intention of this.

Even just making it very clear and obvious which tire to start on would produce a number of different reactions to weather later in the race. Some would still pit early, some late, some try and stay out and fail, others may succeed etc. People will react differently to try and gain the advantage, as it is now its basically a dice roll you need to make and not something you react to in a natural way.

This means you can get the odd great race, but the rest are often just comical, wacky races silliness.
I don't think it is necessarily perfect the way it is now either, but I've found it pretty straight forward to choose which tyres to start on based on the radar during warm up. In the few cases where it is wet during warmup and dries up quickly and you can argue hards were the better choice, that hasnt been detrimental to the race. Rather the opposite cause suddenly the hard runners start catching up towards the end as even half a lap on wet conditions and another lap of drying conditions lets you pull ahead a lot if you're on inters, but the inters only lose about 5 seconds a lap to hards on dry conditions.

If you do start on inters, then you never pit for hards no matter what due to the pit lane loss being far greater than what hards can get you back even if you pit lap 1.

If you start on hards and see rain coming in then you have a decision to make. Most of the time it's not worth it, but if you see heavy rain on the radar, then it can be cause you'll lose so much time driving around on hards even for a single lap.

I guess it just boils down to how they are trying to provide a full length race into a condensed 20 minute format. PD have chosen to make it so rain both appears and disappears to make it as dynamic as possible, with varying conditions. The drying racing line is a big feature of the game which I guess they want to showcase, and maybe they see it as a positive that back of the field are able to catch up that bit easier due to a drier track, as it makes for tighter racing.

If they slow down the weather progression too much then you know that if you see rain you should probably pit as it'll rain for the rest of the race, or vice versa. It'll also take longer for the track to get wet and dry which I agree can make for interesting racing and strategic choices, but not really in a 20 minute 8 lap race. I think that kind of progression is more suited for longer races. For these short races I think it's more important that pit lane loss be reduced to make taking the chance on pitting more viable. But definitely would also like to see races in the future where the weather progression is slower and you just get dry->wet or vice versa and not just random torrential showers.

Yep, they obviously think I'm 20 seconds a lap quicker than world tour players on talent, rather than it being any problem with the game. I should thank them for the compliment 🤣
Ha! I’ve was so off pace last week that I’ve only done one race this week. I think I needed a mental break (maybe mental brake?) for a bit.

For anybody interested I've put this in a video, it seems like a big issue in the daily races affected by rain but none of the big YouTuber's are talking about it/aware of what is going on:

There’s no question in my mind that this is a major problem. It’s not merely an issue of compressing the field though. There’s also the small problem of not having any sensible consistency of track condition. In a real race, leading on a drying track will mean slightly less grip than those following and occasionally more treacherous spots. But the transition from inters to slicks is pretty much the same for everyone. However, this exaggerated version means if you go from trailing to leading you’re also potentially immediately going from comfortable conditions for slicks to unmanageable conditions with no change in weather. This just makes no sense.

I would also point out that it’s not only a consequence of accelerated time because that would accelerate the rate at which the track gets wet between cars while it’s still raining.

Ha! I’ve was so off pace last week that I’ve only done one race this week. I think I needed a mental break (maybe mental brake?) for a bit.
Some weeks are like that, if it's not clicking and you're not having fun there is no point carrying on, have a break and come back stronger 💪

There’s no question in my mind that this is a major problem. It’s not merely an issue of compressing the field though. There’s also the small problem of not having any sensible consistency of track condition. In a real race, leading on a drying track will mean slightly less grip than those following and occasionally more treacherous spots. But the transition from inters to slicks is pretty much the same for everyone. However, this exaggerated version means if you go from trailing to leading you’re also potentially immediately going from comfortable conditions for slicks to unmanageable conditions with no change in weather. This just makes no sense.

I would also point out that it’s not only a consequence of accelerated time because that would accelerate the rate at which the track gets wet between cars while it’s still raining.
That thing about going from trailing to leading is definitely happening, since they've gained loads of time on the cars ahead with no dramas they get confident that they're going at a good/safe pace then as soon as they hit the lead they're aquaplaning off. It's quite funny to watch but I wouldn't be happy if I lost a win through it.

Something funny happened after I finished a race at Laguna yesterday.
You can see that I clearly finished in 5th place.

The game thought that I had the pole position, fastest lap, and a clean race. None of those were true.
It also said that I was German, and finished 16th after moving up 15 positions.
It also didn't know my name, the type of car, or the track.
Never seen this before. What the heck??? :lol:

Is there a way to replicate the BOP settings to a owned car in order to use it in offline Time Trials?

I'm posting below an example, so don't mind the actual values....

Screenshot 2023-04-14 165618.jpg

Is it standard setup (meaning the one the car is coming with and the parts it is coming with) + ballast + power restriction%
How do I determine ballast position? Nothing about suspensions, gears, and all the other configurable items?

Below are the best time trial times per car for race c.

Since these are just single values representing the best laps they are quite sensitive to driver skill, so below is a plot which maybe shows the distribution of times a bit better (i removed times more than 10 seconds off the top time to reduce outliers).

In particular you can see how a car like the BMW M4 has a couple really solid lap times, but when you look at the median value it is actually the worst performing car.

The Silvia has been used for over a third of the lap times set, whereas only a couple hundred people have used the BMW (out of all ~32k times set). So the current results obviously aren't fully representative of the true balance of the cars, but it seems even 'bad' cars might not be too far off in the right hands. Probably a result of people just using whatever car is top of the leaderboards, but if the silvia really is several tenths or seconds faster than the other cars then the times people have set with other cars would disappear as well.

Whatever the case I really don't understand why it takes PD so long to make BOP adjustments with all the data they must have.

RankCarTime (s)CountryNicknameDRSR
1​
Nissan Silvia S15
147.094​
FRM. Hafidi
7​
6​
3​
Mclaren 650S
147.466​
HUFuvaros8
6​
6​
20​
Honda NSX
147.764​
JPsirvia
6​
6​
29​
Toyota GR Supra
147.828​
USTyranNoMetaRex
6​
6​
35​
Bugatti Veyron
147.878​
MYD. Wigneswaran
6​
6​
58​
Mazda Atenza
148.092​
DEElias
6​
6​
66​
BMW M4
148.186​
FRBSCOMP+ Aphe
7​
6​
77​
Lamborghini Huracan
148.236​
DEJ. Eichenlaub
6​
6​
121​
Nissan GT-R
148.404​
FRDofrer27
6​
6​
135​
Merc SLS AMG
148.454​
HUMiha
6​
6​
154​
Alfa Romeo 4C
148.503​
FIJ. Hyttinen
6​
6​
193​
Ferrari 458 Italia
148.603​
DEDani
6​
6​
340​
Dodge Viper
148.871​
CALester
6​
6​
378​
Citroen GT
148.911​
ESSigma
6​
6​
518​
Lexus RC F
149.103​
JPエアグルーヴ
6​
6​
608​
Toyota 86
149.202​
JPOGT_Tomo
5​
6​
688​
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo Final
149.268​
FRSpectre_57
4​
6​
717​
Subaru WRX
149.295​
AUR. Blyth
6​
6​
907​
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
149.468​
AUSach_bom28
5​
4​
942​
Peugeout RCZ
149.490​
ESOscar_Ruiz_GT
6​
6​
1119​
Renault Megane Trophy
149.603​
JPevery nauki
6​
6​
1259​
Jaguar F-type
149.686​
GBJamestown
5​
6​
1362​
Infiniti G70
149.746​
AUKNUCKL3S
5​
6​
1630​
Porsche Cayman GT4
149.890​
FIraizzku
5​
6​
1784​
Ford Mustang
149.970​
FISulka
4​
6​
2401​
Chevrolet Corvette C7
150.263​
ESDSR_Mingo_Ferma
4​
6​
2981​
Suzuki Swift
150.490​
DEJ. Feitscher
4​
6​
3504​
Alfa Romeo 155
150.669​
JPlittleghostV10
4​
6​
3842​
Renault Megane
150.777​
USBTM_T_Victory
5​
6​
3956​
VW Scirocco
150.813​
AUDoodah27
4​
6​
5355​
Hyundai Genesis
151.252​
NLFast-Freddi
4​
5​
11551​
Unknown
152.908​
USPSRT_Joker_GT
5​
6​

View attachment 1247530
great stuff!!!

I have a few questions on this topic, because there are some aspects that I've been thinking about for a while but haven't found answers to yet.

As you rightly say performance can also be determined by the ability of the driver as well as the car, whereas the amount of people using a certain car can be determined by the fact that it is seen in the leaderboards.
In addition to that also enters the personal driving style, which might be more favored by one machine over another, and the track, which might favor certain characteristics over others.

So the questions are: DR rating for DR rating how does this distrubution change? By merging this data with others from other events, can we see any recurrence?

I'm not asking you to get crazy behind the data collection, it's just food for thought to have a chat even unsupported by numbers

Last edited:
One thing I'd love to see PD implement is the ability to do Time Attack with a full tank of fuel. I do a lot of lap attacks and then get into the race and it's like re-learning everything. At Laguna and at Deep Forest the car feels way more boat like in the actual race than when I'm trying to set times. Once I've set my lap time I'd like to practice with the car fueled up. I was able to set a good lap with the Ford GT and took it to the race and it was a total disaster. Acted completely different.

zjn
Is there a way to replicate the BOP settings to a owned car in order to use it in offline Time Trials?

I'm posting below an example, so don't mind the actual values....

View attachment 1247719

Is it standard setup (meaning the one the car is coming with and the parts it is coming with) + ballast + power restriction%
How do I determine ballast position? Nothing about suspensions, gears, and all the other configurable items?
I don't think you can do BOP in the TT, but if you go to the track and set up a custom race, you have the option to use BOP. Set the number of cars to 2, the second car will be a brain-dead AI and you are basically doing TT laps with BOP applied.

Edit. You do lose the ability to have a leaderboard...

Last edited:
Something funny happened after I finished a race at Laguna yesterday.
You can see that I clearly finished in 5th place.

The game thought that I had the pole position, fastest lap, and a clean race. None of those were true.
It also said that I was German, and finished 16th after moving up 15 positions.
It also didn't know my name, the type of car, or the track.
Never seen this before. What the heck??? :lol:

Well, Mr. Player Name, I think maybe you just got a peek behind the curtain of the Great and Powerful OZ!

That’s truly bizarre, like you are in a test mode or something. Only you, dude . . .
zjn
great stuff!!!

I have a few questions on this topic, because there are some aspects that I've been thinking about for a while but haven't found answers to yet.

As you rightly say performance can also be determined by the ability of the driver as well as the car, whereas the amount of people using a certain car can be determined by the fact that it is seen in the leaderboards.
In addition to that also enters the personal driving style, which might be more favored by one machine over another, and the track, which might favor certain characteristics over others.

So the questions are: DR rating for DR rating how does this distrubution change? By merging this data with others from other events, can we see any recurrence?

I'm not asking you to get crazy behind the data collection, it's just food for thought to have a chat even unsupported by numbers
I think gt-engine does this kind of analysis you’re asking for on the World Series events. Somebody posted a link a day or two ago.

Question guys, I’m getting severe under steer whilst practicing for the inter Lagos manufactures race tomorrow, really don’t know why, I’m ps5, gt dd pro and I’ve tried a daily in race b and not getting it there or either in gt sport on the same track, anyone have any thoughts about?

zjn
great stuff!!!

I've thought about the same thing, in that does the leader board influence the trickle down thinking and car selection. I personally feel influenced by it so will gravitate to the cars the peeps use at the top.

My take is that it's a 2 sided coin, lower ability/further down the GT learning curve will pick them because they are "the fastest" and top drivers settle on a car that is probably the best if you are a top driver and equals the playing field.

I'd guess in reality outside of top drivers more cars are realistically open to us because by the very nature of not being too drivers we are less consistent and the pace is really quite a bit slower.

But and I think this is part of the debate, things like the TT at willow did show a beginner and top level driver meta car in that combination.

It's a really interesting subject because even at the top level/times there are always off "meta" cars in there like the Ferrari in the LS B table so alot of it if not most of it is how you get the most from the car and not the car itself.

Back