GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 37,025 comments
I hate the Mazda but I'm way slower in QT in the other cars. I keep thinking "OK, this time it will be different", and I'm a second and a half slower. So I go back to the boat, um, Mazda.
I think the Mazda Gr. 4 car at Trial Mountain is okay but it can be a pain to steer especially when doing the first half before you get to the tunnel, I'm trying to find a line that gives me the most exit speed on the corner.

Well that was odd... Race C started - and I'm stuck in reverse view? Tried reversing to pits rather than quit but ended up DQ'd

Edit : found the cause - driving with the wheel but the controller was sat against the chair - with the 'reverse view' button pressed in 🙄

Edit 2: just double checked and it was definitely L1 resting against the chair. If I'd tried the warm up I may have noticed sooner

Last edited:
@TheNormsk and/or @TechnoIsLove : We're literally closer than the blink of an eye.

1696680092532.png

Been away for a week, so just got a chance to hit up race A this morning. It's so nice to have a good combo and ratings turned on.

Managed to get a handful of races in the morning and they were great. Had some nice clean, hard competition and Managed a couple wins and a couple podiums. Including this great finish to an amazing race all the way through, .021 was the difference....

18b0a97d5bb76-screenshotUrl.jpg

Has anyone got any tips for this Mazda, I did a proper QT session with it as I'd hit a wall with the 650. I just need to find a couple tenths or so.

Bb+3

Tune the dampers. Soften the expansion on the front. You want the front driving wheels to stay on the ground over the bumps for traction and it allows you to hit the sausage on turn 2 while maintaining grip.

Then you need to counter the stronger front rebound by stiffening up the rear. It’s okay for the rear to bring a wheel off the ground as long as the front driving wheels maintain traction. Compression and expansion settings should be closer together than stock.

I won’t give my settings as they are tailored to my driving style but above is what helped me.

For driving, mostly rev it out but on track you need to sometimes tweak your shift point so that you are changing gear as you crest a bump and lose momentary traction. Those points mostly align with natural shift points anyway so you lose no time shifting gear. One of the things that makes this car strong.

Last edited:
Bb+3

Tune the dampers. Soften the expansion on the front. You want the front driving wheels to say on the ground over the bumps for traction and it allows you to hit the sausage on turn 2 while maintaining grip.

Then you need to counter the stronger front rebound by stiffening up the rear. It’s okay for the rear to bring a wheel off the ground as long as the front driving wheels maintain traction. Compression and expansion settings should be closer together than stock.

I won’t give my settings as they are tailored to my driving style but above is what helped me.
Thank you that was exactly what I was hoping for. I haven't changed any of the settings so will go one by one through them to find something that works based on what's working for you.

Thank you.

Thank you that was exactly what I was hoping for. I haven't changed any of the settings so will go one by one through them to find something that works based on what's working for you.

Thank you.
Start with lowering the front expansion. As you do this it should improve until it doesn’t. Then you can work the rear. Then front again. It is quite iterative and a change or +/- 1 can have a surprising effect.

This track is good for tuning. You’ll know if you have it by turn 2. From start the entry esses should be more predictable and you should be crossing the start line around 145 mph. Then as you cut turn 2 right (all in 2nd) going over the sausages should be relatively composed. Do that 50% throttle and as the tires grip again you can throttle out.

This car is very quick sector 1.

Last edited:
Start with lowering the front expansion. As you do this it should improve until it doesn’t. Then you can work the rear. Then front again. It is quite iterative and a change or +/- 1 can have a surprising effect.

This track is good for tuning. You’ll know if you have it by turn 2. From start the entry esses should be more predictable and you should be crossing the start line around 145 mph. Then as you cut turn 2 right (all in 2nd) going over the sausages should be relatively composed. Do that 50% throttle and as the tires grip again you can throttle out.

This car is very quick sector 1.
Even just an out lap with BB+3 feels better.

I probably won't tweak too much but a few clicks on the front and the stiffer rear make a lot of sense.

I can live with the understeer but these settings you posted should mitigate some of the bump/uneven surface wheel spin.

Edit:

Because I have no idea on the suspension stuff so don't really understand which direction to adjust things I just ran a proper time attack few laps and the BB+3 has brought me down to a 1:58.3 from a PB in the 650 of 1:58.7

A little bit of track familiarity and laps and "embracing" the charms of the new Mazda helped a bit to.

Thank you @TheNormsk

Last edited:
Because I have no idea on the suspension stuff so don't really understand which direction to adjust things I just ran a proper time attack few laps and the BB+3 has brought me down to a 1:58.3 from a PB in the 650 of 1:58.7

A little bit of track familiarity and laps and "embracing" the charms of the new Mazda helped a bit to.

Thank you @TheNormsk

Killer time!

At risk of spilling my trade secrets, reduce front expansion down to 30. That’s what I mean by softening it. Basically the dampers will expand more rapidly as there is less damping in rebound. Don’t worry about rear for now. That makes less difference and you can bump the values higher later (with a similar-ish compression/expansion gap to the front).
The only thing I did was change the front damping ratio up to 50. A few QT runs later, and I improved by almost a quarter second, and I'm running consistently faster. No idea if it's a placebo effect or not, although it feels like the tires don't lift off the track as easily. I'll try the BB.
You should check your PSN messages. I sent you a bunch yesterday.

Last edited:
NOTE: I talk here about my feelings, but I suspect I'm not alone in some of my thoughts, so that's why I'm sharing this. I'm anticipating some "I know, right?" replies. :lol:

It's such a funny track (race B using the Mazda). I have what to me is a great time. I'm competitive in the DR A lobbies. Yet even a great QT lap, time-wise, feels like I'm not even close to driving it well. Of course, it's quite possible I have no idea what "driving well" feels like.

1) I suck at the final esses.

2) I know I'm losing time to the fastest drivers when going up the hill, but I just can't seem to take the line they take and get the speed they get. Don't get me wrong, I"m decent on that section, but there's some secret there I'm just not understanding.

3) I feel like there's time to be gained on the opening first chicane, and sometimes I'm a lot better than others, but most of the time I have no idea why.

Then I get done with the QT lap, thinking all of the above things, and I'm within a few hundredths of my best QT of 1:58.938, which is right near the top of my leaderboard, and 1281 on the global ranking list.

It just seems to me that QT laps with this good of times should feel better than they do.

It's probably just the feel of the car. When I try some other cars, they feel a lot better, but I'm 1 or 2 seconds off my pace. Like I said, maybe I just don't know what driving well feels like.

It'll be interesting to see how next week goes, with a different track/car. I'm NOT a DR A driver, so how much of a crash-and-burn will next week be, for me? It's sure to be interesting.

NOTE: I talk here about my feelings, but I suspect I'm not alone in some of my thoughts, so that's why I'm sharing this. I'm anticipating some "I know, right?" replies. :lol:

It's such a funny track (race B using the Mazda). I have what to me is a great time. I'm competitive in the DR A lobbies. Yet even a great QT lap, time-wise, feels like I'm not even close to driving it well. Of course, it's quite possible I have no idea what "driving well" feels like.

1) I suck at the final esses.

2) I know I'm losing time to the fastest drivers when going up the hill, but I just can't seem to take the line they take and get the speed they get. Don't get me wrong, I"m decent on that section, but there's some secret there I'm just not understanding.

3) I feel like there's time to be gained on the opening first chicane, and sometimes I'm a lot better than others, but most of the time I have no idea why.

Then I get done with the QT lap, thinking all of the above things, and I'm within a few hundredths of my best QT of 1:58.938, which is right near the top of my leaderboard, and 1281 on the global ranking list.

It just seems to me that QT laps with this good of times should feel better than they do.

It's probably just the feel of the car. When I try some other cars, they feel a lot better, but I'm 1 or 2 seconds off my pace. Like I said, maybe I just don't know what driving well feels like.

It'll be interesting to see how next week goes, with a different track/car. I'm NOT a DR A driver, so how much of a crash-and-burn will next week be, for me? It's sure to be interesting.
This week, and this new car have made somewhat of a sweat fest.

Because of the lobby issues the faster guys are hanging around. I'm artificially A at the moment. My time is coming but I know my consistency lets me down.

If you can get that ADDD in check the WG will work for you because of your pace and getting clean air as a faster driver.

Been away for a week, so just got a chance to hit up race A this morning. It's so nice to have a good combo and ratings turned on.

Managed to get a handful of races in the morning and they were great. Had some nice clean, hard competition and Managed a couple wins and a couple podiums. Including this great finish to an amazing race all the way through, .021 was the difference....

View attachment 1293273
Hi, have you tried the Trial Mountain races? I got my time down to 2'02.497 using the Mazda Gr. 4 car. I set the traction control to 0. I had to use some of the assists too. I normally don't follow the ghost because it distracts me from the track. Plus I never race drowsy/half asleep. I have to be focused and alert. What was your QT for Grand Valley? Mine was in the 1'21.000's.

Has anyone got any tips for this Mazda, I did a proper QT session with it as I'd hit a wall with the 650. I just need to find a couple tenths or so.

In all honesty, I've not done anything from the default settings. What I figured out is that the perfect downshift (drop a gear as you enter a corner) gets the car turning much better.

It saves a lot of hassle as I find it to lean on the understeer side of things, so a downshift at the right time and a teeny dab of the brakes gets it turning much better!

I will, however, try out the very interesting advice given here in terms of suspension settings 🙂

Hi, have you tried the Trial Mountain races? I got my time down to 2'02.497 using the Mazda Gr. 4 car. I set the traction control to 0. I had to use some of the assists too. I normally don't follow the ghost because it distracts me from the track. Plus I never race drowsy/half asleep. I have to be focused and alert. What was your QT for Grand Valley? Mine was in the 1'21.000's.
Haven't had a chance to hit trial mountain yet. I do enjoy the track though.

Got my qt down to a 1.18.9xx at grand valley.

I wanted to improve my time to break into the top 1000 global so I had another go at race B QT. Also @Nebuc72 couldn't stand the thought of a humble pleb like me being so close so he took a chunk of time off. In the 57s, well done! 👏

I won't be able to get close to that anymore but I did shave another .2s or so off. I made changes to shift points for a few corners that helped to carry more speed through the corner. I realized I was letting it rev out too long losing pull time in a higher gear. I also tweaked my entry into the bottom of the hill climb.

IMG_7444.JPG

I'll take second on the friends board as being a good day.

That smashed me through the top 1000 and putting myself 758.
IMG_7443.JPG

What kills me now is that my current optimal of 1:58.4 would put me in the top 500. I feel like I should try again but perhaps I should actually do a race! :D

What also blows my mind is how the leaders are still 2 seconds ahead. I watch their laps and I still can't fathom it.

Attachments

• IMG_7444.JPG
    IMG_7444.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 10
I won't be able to get close to that anymore but I did shave another .2s or so off. I made changes to shift points for a few corners that helped to carry more speed through the corner. I realized I was letting it rev out too long losing pull time in a higher gear. I also tweaked my entry into the bottom of the hill climb.

IMG_7444.JPG

I'll take second on the friends board as being a good day.
1696720801779.png

Kudos, of course!

Back