GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 37,057 comments
I had a funny one last night at Atlanta.

Started pole, drop back to 3rd accidentally murdered by someone I know, crack back on and catch the pack. Back up to 8th and murdered accidentally by another person I know.

Back to last....

Then the second murderer was waiting at the line for me but I was following murderer number 1 who wanted to let me through but I couldn't pass him because murder number 2 caused a yellow flag by waiting.

So there we are all creeping to the line waiting for me to pass them both but I couldn't 🤣

Edit:

Last edited:
Hi guys, long time no see... 😇

Is anybody doing race A? Any tuning tips?
I am probably not the best person to give advice, but for me there are two options:-

1. Decent brakes at the expense of horse power
or
2. Standard brakes and max horsepower.

The best for me was max power and rubbish standard brakes. I used the mid-rpm turbo and a few other engine tunes, and I loaded up with ballast to get within the PP limit (not sure if this is a good idea or not). I also put on the fully customisable suspension, but found that I did not change much radically.

As I said, plenty of others are much faster than me, but I have won 4 out of 6 races so far this week with the above approach. You just have to be careful if someone with good brakes is near you at the two heavy braking points - turn 1 or the banked corner.

Last edited:
I am probably not the best person to give advice, but for me there are two options:-

or

The best for me was max power and rubbish standard
I did the same. Put almost every possible in to improve horsepower. The power advantage outweighs the lack in braking efficency, and the wide track allows some sliding and not-so-perfect lines through the corners.

Corolla has a ton of PP holes that let you tank the weight & add loads of power. Think a lot of it is rear downforce position & ballast position. You also want to use a standard Manual transmission instead of the Racing one.
Yup, I'm using standard sport short transmission, the racing one takes a lot PP. I added much power, but haven't done any weight reduction. Just a few kilos of ballast to get to 600 PP (glitchy!). Will try some weight / ballast fiddling next.

BTW have you checked your laptime lately? And mine? 😆

What type of times are y’all running in race A? I think I have a 1:31 something with my own quick tune but from what I’m hearing the high HP type of tune is the working better. Suspension settings?
I’ve started off with slightly lowering and softening the damper settings etc. 🍻

I need to get into race 'A' and see how I fare, sounds like a fun jaunt. Pretty sure I'm gonna make race B home for the week, though. Not sure how races will pan-out but am having fun running qualifiers for now. This place was a blast in the Gr.4's but I'm worried that the Gr.3's are gonna make it tough for everyone to keep it clean out there.

Reminiscent of the 'Ring in that there aren't a whole lot of places to pass and it's kinda tight. 911 seems to be doing its job, just gotta tweak the tune a bit as it's feelin' nervous in the rough patches. Once that's chilled-out I'm hoping the car is stable enough to keep it on the track consistently. This is one of those venues where I don't mind picking up a couple spots through attrition.😁

:cheers:

I had a funny one last night at Atlanta.

Started pole, drop back to 3rd accidentally murdered by someone I know, crack back on and catch the pack. Back up to 8th and murdered accidentally by another person I know.

Back to last....

Then the second murderer was waiting at the line for me but I was following murderer number 1 who wanted to let me through but I couldn't pass him because murder number 2 caused a yellow flag by waiting.

So there we are all creeping to the line waiting for me to pass them both but I couldn't 🤣

Edit:

It was nice that they waited for you. Funny situation though.

Not sure I will be much competition this week. For whatever reason B is not gelling with me tonight. I tried the Gen-X, M6 and 911RSR and and every car I spin out in turn 11 or sound how manage to power oversteer it. I've done very few laps where I have not crashed off...
I'm the same way, with it not gelling for me. I want it to, but I'm having problems.

As for spinning out on T11, that's a problem for me too. We just need to remember that we're not in Gr.4 cars, so our racing line needs to be a little different, and we can't hit the gas so quickly after the apex. It's hard for me, because the Gr.4 method is so ingrained.

I'm the same way, with it not gelling for me. I want it to, but I'm having problems.

As for spinning out on T11, that's a problem for me too. We just need to remember that we're not in Gr.4 cars, so our racing line needs to be a little different, and we can't hit the gas so quickly after the apex. It's hard for me, because the Gr.4 method is so ingrained.
If that's the uphill after the chicane at the end of the lap?

There are 3 lines through it....

1. Alien line
2. Take 2 stabs at feeding the power on (my line typically...not preferred 🤣)
3. Get the front wheels completely straight and apply the power slightly slower and avoid the inside curb and only be straight when on the power on the exit one.

Since they updated the curbs they all feel like they are wet now annoyingly.

Ignoring the sausage curb lottery just generally all curbs aren't track anymore but a weird form of punishment for pushing!

Guess most of my Road Atlanta racing has been Gr.4. Gr.3 is a completely different challenge in that corner.

Some cars are hugely better than others. You have to be so careful on throttle and learn when you can only do 25%, 50% or 75% throttle.. From what I was trying last:

Genesis-X - Fast but it is actively trying to kill you at all times on RM tires. If you apply any more that 50% throttle with any turn on the wheel it will power oversteer to the left on turn 10 or to the right on turn 11. I have my fastest time with this car but I could not race with it. I only manage to complete a lap about ever 4-5 tries... Found out I can only drive it well when on softs.

M6 - currently my favorite - almost as fast at the Gen-X but easy to drive in comparison. Very planted. Can still spin out turn 11 if you apply more that 80% throttle though.

4C - joy to drive and fabulous handling but slow. 2s off the pace.

911RSR - Should be my go-to car but can't match the M6 currently. I need more time with it and it is still susceptible to spin out if too much throttle is used.

AMG - very planted and easy to drive. Have not been able to match the pace of the M6 though. I feel this should be a very good car for this track but I do not have the experience to get the best our of it yet.

RCZ - found this to be skittish handing and did not enjoy it. It was also off the pace but that could just be me..

GT-R - I know this is up on the leaderboard but I could not just get any pace out of it.

R8-LMS - found this to be very competent and was the car I originally got my best time in. Relatively compose in the chicane.

Did not try anything else yet.
Since they updated the curbs they all feel like they are wet now annoyingly.

Ignoring the sausage curb lottery just generally all curbs aren't track anymore but a weird form of punishment for pushing!
What is killing me is the tire-curb dynamics. On Gr.4 you usually barrel over the curb but with a lot of this cars, if you so much as look at a curb you are quickly pointing backward or rocketing off into the grass. I'm having to drive consciously trying to avoid any curb contact which is hard at RA.

Tuning does help with the chicane to a degree. In some cases, get it wrong, and it makes the car overly grip to the point of power steering off. Get it right and it allows a little push and slide to prevent spin out, but too much and you lose all traction and just slide off with no mechanical corner grip. It's a balance act. My fastest times were with tune but I have been trying to see which car is drivable and competitive without tune and then work it from there.

Nothing gives me confidence yet. How are you all getting into the 1:18s? I am so far off the pace!
Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 12.43.45 PM.png

So I may give the GR Corolla a go at race A.

Last edited:

or

The best for me was max power and rubbish standard brakes. I used the mid-rpm turbo and a few other engine tunes, and I loaded up with ballast to get within the PP limit (not sure if this is a good idea or not). I also put on the fully customisable suspension, but found that I did not change much radically.

As I said, plenty of others are much faster than me, but I have won 4 out of 6 races so far this week with the above approach. You just have to be careful if someone with good brakes is near you at the two heavy braking points - turn 1 or the banked corner.
I'm gonna give this one a go, but I'm a track day guy so brakes all the way. No point going fast if you can't stop and if you have no power might as well smooth it out by out braking everyone.

Consistency wise power is probably the thing I'm guessing but brakes and tires should trump fast with no brakes and tires :(

Did my first 2 Race B's of the week and two completely different races!

Race 1 - 2nd account, Quick qualy lap and set a 1:18:5 for a P12 start in the NISMO. I think I am too nice, doing all I can, losing momentum and positions quite a few times just to give the ones in front a chance of recovering when they lose control or make a small mistake. I also pulled out of every 50/ 50 (even when ahead) to not ruin the race for either.

This didn't mean I did not get punted or shoved (lol) even by those I "helped" but long story short, finished in P8 (+4 places) and a P6 or better was more than possible. Replay below:

Race 2 - Main account. Started in P5 with a 1:18:1 and wanted to try something different and OMG - I found a new gem! For those struggling, this car is amazing in handling, perfect gear ratio match to track and overall amazing acceleration. I was the only one driving it - The Renault RS01 🎉 I was so happy and as soon as I got P4, I was basically on my own all race lol. Almost lapsed concentration a few times towards the end 😂

General question - Do GT3 cars struggle in turbulence? Happened a few times in chicane before end of sector one where I was following closely and the car just flipped and lost all traction, every time I was within 0.3s. Is this normal?

Also, tomorrow my new Next Level Racing NLR-S009 GTTrack Simulator Cockpit arrives home woop woop!!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-10-17 at 20.03.04 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-17 at 20.03.04 (1).jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 10
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-10-17 at 20.03.04.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-17 at 20.03.04.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 9
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-10-17 at 18.06.35.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-17 at 18.06.35.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 10
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-10-17 at 18.06.35 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-17 at 18.06.35 (1).jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Did my first 2 Race B's of the week and two completely different races!

Race 1 - 2nd account, Quick qualy lap and set a 1:18:5 for a P12 start in the NISMO. I think I am too nice, doing all I can, losing momentum and positions quite a few times just to give the ones in front a chance of recovering when they lose control or make a small mistake. I also pulled out of every 50/ 50 (even when ahead) to not ruin the race for either.

This didn't mean I did not get punted or shoved (lol) even by those I "helped" but long story short, finished in P8 (+4 places) and a P6 or better was more than possible. Replay below:

Race 2 - Main account. Started in P5 with a 1:18:1 and wanted to try something different and OMG - I found a new gem! For those struggling, this car is amazing in handling, perfect gear ration match to track and overall amazing acceleration. I was the only one driving it - The Renault RS01 🎉 I was so happy and as soon as I got P4, I was basically on my own all race lol. Almost lapsed concentration a few times towards the end 😂

General question - Do GT3 cars struggle in turbulence? Happened a few times in chicane before end of sector one where I was following closely and the car just flipped and lost all traction, every time I was within 0.3s. Is this normal?

Also, tomorrow my new Next Level Racing NLR-S009 GTTrack Simulator Cockpit arrives home woop woop!!

Yes they do. It's a big problem with dirty air especially in GR3 and beyond. The understeer is horrific!

That said this week I do well to keep it on the track so I can't say dirty air is my problem, well maybe if the wife hears it but....

Race 2 - Main account. Started in P5 with a 1:18:1 and wanted to try something different and OMG - I found a new gem! For those struggling, this car is amazing in handling, perfect gear ration match to track and overall amazing acceleration. I was the only one driving it - The Renault RS01 🎉 I was so happy and as soon as I got P4, I was basically on my own all race lol.
So the R.S.01 is good? Yay!

I'd discounted it too early then as I love that car on certain tracks but on others (those with weird camber in turns) it can be terrible. I thought this would not be the car for this track. I'll have to try it.

UPDATE: What a bloody joke!

So.., 2 races today at Road Atlanta (great fun, but!!... more on that later) SR rating retrieved yesterday back to S, but back down to A this morning. Also, DR downgraded to D!

So what the BL**DY hell is going on? Seriously? Race1 first lap and getting smashed from all sides, make it to the chicane where a Ghosted car suddenly un-ghosts right in front of me. Try to avoid the car but do hit it, go off track and get 2sec penalty. The car I hit stayed on track and was non worse for wear and continued like nothing had happened.

Race2... just an another smash fest of idiots and morons. From 3rd to last on lap 2... I give up.

I will try one more race at Atlanta and that will probably be it for the week. Not sure Race C will be any better, but will see.

Polyphony... your claim of the being the real driving simulator is false advertising, at best, but actually - just a ridiculous joke.
I feel your pain, jumped back on Sunday and Race B was Laguna Seca, not a fan but I did a few races, yesterday I got on and was happy to see Road Atlanta, I’m between SR A & S, I was DR C but now D, didn’t even put in a quali lap, first two races got top 7 and top 5, last couple of laps an impatient bell or dive bomber takes me out. How is 5 seconds a fair penalty, it only benefits two places back who isn’t involved, I’m spending 10-20 secs getting the car back on the track and going, easily loose 5 places and they always seem to be unaffected by taking me out, the place behind them gets passed on the penalty slow down I’m way too far off to even benefit and get back past them it should be 1 minute minimum so they quit or learn to race, at least they’ll end up in low DR ratings and have to grind to get back to D, C or B. Frustrates the **** outta me!

The SR rating doesn’t mean ****, I’ve been in S, A, B, C, D and they all drive the same, to be honest i had the best results in B.

Last edited:
I feel your pain, jumped back on Sunday and Race B was Laguna Seca, not a fan but I did a few races, yesterday I got on and was happy to see Road Atlanta, I’m between SR A & S, I was DR C but now D, didn’t even put in a quali lap, first two races got top 7 and top 5, last couple of laps an impatient bell or dive bomber takes me out. How is 5 seconds a fair penalty, it only benefits two places back who isn’t involved, I’m spending 10-20 secs getting the car back on the track and going, easily loose 5 places and they always seem to be unaffected by taking me out, the place behind them gets passed on the penalty slow down I’m way too far off to even benefit and get back past them it should be 1 minute minimum so they quit or learn to race, at least they’ll end up in low DR ratings and have to grind to get back to D, C or B. Frustrates the **** outta me!

The SR rating doesn’t mean ****, I’ve been in S, A, B, C, D and they all drive the same, to be honest i had the best results in B.
I've stopped watching the ratings now.

Was close to DR A+ and always "try" to maintain SR S but that drops a bit.

What I've learned is really just focus on being as clean as you can. The rest of the people will do their thing and it's f...really annoying but it is what it is.

As hard as this will be for a lot of people, sometimes it's not about the position it's about brining it home. I will say this as a guy who's had 8 poles this week and won 1 race. And I've been last and quit 3 times.

Not my usual MO bit life is too short, wouda. Coulda, shoulda it is what it is. On the plus side I spend more family time. I hate weeks like this when I do so well but can't pull it off!

I got my time for Road Atlanta to a 1:18.9XX so that counts as my goal I set yesterday. Since I'm off of work for the week, I went ahead and did 5 races this afternoon.

For race 1 I was in P9 to start. 2 consecutive off track penalties exiting the esses killed my momentum. I finish P10 and that's fine as it's my fault I exceeded track limits.

Race 2 also has me in P9 on the grid. Chaos in the entry to turn 2 and I take evasive action which makes me not lined up for the esses. More chaos on the exit of the esses and I get tossed around a bit but keep going. More crashes get me to P5 and I can't chase down P4. Still happy with a top 5 finish.

Race 3 had me up to P5 at the start. But it was ruined by a driver dumping me in the final chicane. They made no effort to avoid me. In fact, they were blocking the entire race making some head scratching moves. Just all over the place. They get spin then has the audacity to call out the other driver. It was incidental contact so whatever. Naturally they barge by me again and I finish P9.

Race 4 has me in P8 and some nice clean racing the entire time. Some door banging, but nothing I would call dirty. I have a nice 3 car battle for P3 and I snag P4 in the end with a clean race bonus.

My final race had me in P6 to start. I got shoved off track early and fell behind thanks to dirty tires. This race wasn't dirty, but very aggressive driving all around. Some drivers in that race had no situational awareness and barely left room in the corners.

I'm loving this combo so far and I'll probably do another 5 or so races tomorrow. The racing is good and the variety of cars is nice to see. I just need to avoid the off track penalties on the esses exit and I'll be fine.

Shout out for the SLS AMG ‘11. I think I might be the only person in the world using it! I’m only a mid B driver but I’ve managed a 1.18.5 in qualifying for Race B. It’s pretty fast on the straights, but if you lose the back end, there is no saving it.

Gave C a try this morning. Have a poor qualifying time which puts me back of the pack, but had a few 6th and 7th places just by fuel saving on hards. At least 1/2 the field pitted! This was in B/C lobbies in the Americas.

It’s free places! And all I did was stay out of trouble, let people by, and shift the 458 at 7k, sometimes 8k.

Funnest race tho’ was the one I pitted in. Had a great multi-lap battle with several drivers (and finished last!).

Daily C still doesn't click with me. So off to Road Atlanta.

Oh I love this combo! Contrary to some other people I experienced mainly fair (but hard) races. For a few weeks I'm up to A+|S lobbies. A 1:17.948 qualifying time leads to starting anywhere in the range 3-8.

1697574086177.png

Because it's so easy to make a mistake but hard to overtake with basically only one overtaking spot, the field pretty much stays closely together behind a driver going a little off track or oversteering which is often (but not always) me :lol:I tend to gain 2 places on average due to other people's mistakes, quite satisfying!

2023-10-14 Daily Race - Road Atlanta - Gr.3 - 1.jpg
2023-10-14 Daily Race - Road Atlanta - Gr.3 - 2.jpg
2023-10-14 Daily Race - Road Atlanta - Gr.3 - 3.jpg

Here's my alien QT of the week, at Atlanta (I edited the screenshot for size, but the numbers are real):

1697576736884.png

And from not even being on the first page of my leaderboard, to this:

1697576673357.jpg

Using the 911. It was one of those laps where every sector was the best I could reasonably do. I didn't even realize how good the run was until I crossed the finish line and looked at the numbers. A true "HOLY ****" moment, for sure.

Not a chance in hell of me being able to race to this level. But obviously I'm thrilled.
A 1:17.948 qualifying time leads to starting anywhere in the range 3-8.
It just goes to show that no matter how good you get, starting P8 is still a possibility. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it to get better? But of course I can't help myself for trying - it's why we compete!
There are 3 lines through it....

1. Alien line
2. Take 2 stabs at feeding the power on (my line typically...not preferred 🤣)
3. Get the front wheels completely straight and apply the power slightly slower and avoid the inside curb and only be straight when on the power on the exit one.
You forgot about the one I'm most adept at - spinning our no matter which line I take! In all seriousness, the 911 works pretty well there. I'm actually able to apply gas early at 25-50%, and not lose it. Since I have a lead foot, that says something for the 911.
R8-LMS - found this to be very competent and was the car I originally got my best time in. Relatively compose in the chicane.
I still really like this car, but I'll stick with the 911. Unless:
So the R.S.01 is good? Yay!
Ooh, gotta try it!

Race B is pretty fun. I can't tell if I love RA or hate it. Mostly the former but I'll put in a decent lap and follow it up with a half dozen bad ones. Doesn't take much to completely FUBAR a lap.

Doing some races on the #4 account to try and gain some DR. For those of you in the Asian/Ocean region, do you have the chat function? I don't, but only there (US and EMEA do). I don't think I am the only one because I am not seeing any chats come before, during, or after the race.

Here's my alien QT of the week, at Atlanta (I edited the screenshot for size, but the numbers are real):

View attachment 1296042
Wow! Great time. Good job finding your inner 👽

I think I should just give up now. I tried the R.S.01 for a few laps and could not even break into the 1:19s. I'm floundering around in the 1:20s like a fish out of water. Ugh.

I'll put in a decent lap and follow it up with a half dozen bad ones. Doesn't take much to completely FUBAR a lap.

I thought that was just me.

Last edited:
Wow! Great time. Good job finding your inner 👽

I think I should just give up now. I tried the R.S.01 for a few laps and could not even break into the 1:19s. I'm floundering around in the 1:20s like a fish out of water. Ugh.
Thanks. Up until that one lap, I felt like I was floundering too. So take a break and don't give up.

It's quite possible I'll go right back to floundering, when I drive it again. I've been too scared to turn the game back on. :)
I'll put in a decent lap and follow it up with a half dozen bad ones. Doesn't take much to completely FUBAR a lap.
Yeah, me too. It's a tough track for Gr.3 cars. Not a lot of room for mistakes. At least, that's the way it feels to me.

I'm going to need to get a low 1:18 in Race B to hang in DR A. Had pole at 1:18.5 in DR B, had a decent race and moved up to A, and started in 14th. That's not going to be productive.

Last edited:
I'm going to need to get a low 1:18 in Race B to hang in DR A. Had pole at 1:18.5 in DR B, had a decent race and moved up to A, and started in 14th. That's not going to be productive.
This is all I need to know.

Edit.

IMG_7459.jpeg

Finally got into the 1:18s and the first page of my leaderboard but based on ^^^ it’s still not competitive.

Last edited:
I'm just a C rated gamepad user on PS4 currently, but I've been having a lot of fun in Sport mode recently (normally play iRacing but wheel gone back for repairs so hopped over to GT7). I can't get more than a 1:20 at Race B, but doesn't matter, the racing has been great! Got a win yesterday after starting in P8 and having some epic battles.

Particularly enjoyed this moment where I went from 3rd to 1st. Using the draft so both the McLaren and I could get past 1st place, and then taking advantage of the McLaren's mistake on T1.

Race C has also been ok, but not a huge fan of heavy fuel saving races. On one race I ran out of gas just as I got to the chicane on the last lap :/ My fault, I miscalculated laps remaining, doh!

I've gone in to the races with an attitude of patience and generally just concentrate on staying out of trouble myself. Seems to be working. One big thing in GT7, I've noticed, is to avoid taking the outside when going 2 wide into a corner. They can push you off without penalty.

Last edited:
Daily C still doesn't click with me. So off to Road Atlanta.

Oh I love this combo! Contrary to some other people I experienced mainly fair (but hard) races. For a few weeks I'm up to A+|S lobbies. A 1:17.948 qualifying time leads to starting anywhere in the range 3-8.

View attachment 1296024

Because it's so easy to make a mistake but hard to overtake with basically only one overtaking spot, the field pretty much stays closely together behind a driver going a little off track or oversteering which is often (but not always) me :lol:I tend to gain 2 places on average due to other people's mistakes, quite satisfying!

View attachment 1296025View attachment 1296026View attachment 1296027

You running a tune on your RSR? I haven’t followed a ghost yet, but I’m stuck at 1:18.3xx

I improved by B time to 1:18.711 and while not that good for DR A I decided to jump into a race to test the waters. I QT'd in 13th.

There was some drama on turn 5 and I gained 3 spots there. Got another at turn 7 but got out dragged up the hill by a A|B racer in a 911RSR, bumping me in the rear at the bottom of the hill. Entering turn 10 he had pinned me to the inside but a penalty taker was about to unghost and I thought he would get blocked but a gap opened and he appeared to fast'n'furious downshift to suddenly go faster :lol:and he pushed in, forcing me even more to the inside. In this move I miss my braking mark (being blocked by two cars now going three wide) and I, kind of, caused some mayhem into the turn unable to slow as much as I would like. I hit one, turning in who bounces off another, knocking them off track. Some other chaos happens as well. The A|B guy gets a 2s penalty in all this. I came out in 8th after all this.

After that encounter I drive clean with a really solid drive in the M6 and finish in 5th. An 8 spot gain.

Gran Turismo® 7_20231017224218.jpg

Here are the highlights with a replay of turn 10 from a couple views.

What do you think of my turn 10 carnage? It was accidental on my part missing my braking mark after being surprised by the sudden move of Porsche. You might argue that I should have waited and I considered it but I focused on the guy I hit, who remained in front so I considered that done. I was not aware of the other stuff going on at the time.

I am still having trouble getting a competitive QT but the M6 is an excellent race weapon. It is stuck to the ground like a tank and when it does get bumped it does not move much. I have a tune on it that makes it a bit stickier as well so that helps.

Last edited:
Race B is pretty fun. I can't tell if I love RA or hate it. Mostly the former but I'll put in a decent lap and follow it up with a half dozen bad ones. Doesn't take much to completely FUBAR a lap.

Doing some races on the #4 account to try and gain some DR. For those of you in the Asian/Ocean region, do you have the chat function? I don't, but only there (US and EMEA do). I don't think I am the only one because I am not seeing any chats come before, during, or after the race.
Which car are you using? Honestly mate, try the Renault! If you look at my lap data on the NISMO, I am quite consistent. With the RS01, it is even better! Lacks a bit of top end speed compared to Supra or Ferrari but extremely easy to drive, and that is using my wobbly rig! Can't wait for tonight could barely sleep lol 🎉 😂

Back