GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 37,055 comments
It's funny to log in and see other people with similar feelings about the game. I spent 3 weeks divebombing from DR A down to DR B at around 65%. Then last week I got back up to DR A (only 13%, but hey, A is A).

This week has been a struggle with averaging starting around P10-11 in A lobbies. I finally took a nosedive back into DR B, and this happens in the first B lobby I was in:

View attachment 1312367

So my QT is good enough for pole position in a B lobby, and I basically run away with the race. But it's only good enough for around P10 in A lobbies, where gaining enough points to stay there is pretty hard.

It seems to me there should be a happy medium somewhere in between. Or maybe not. But I'll just end up back up to an A lobby, and then get smashed back down.

I'm not sure this is fun.
Just to put this in to perspective and I share your view Grumpy.

My time this week has me through out the week (going from 100th in the world early and falling back to 450th on Sunday)

Starting no faster than 9th in some lobbies. Of the 449 people ahead of me at least 8 of them were playing.

That is how tight it is a newly A drive for the upteenth time with a top 500 time.

B lobbies can be a bit miss leading in that the skill spread and player base obviously sits there or c drivers that's the majority once you move out of that...wow the pace ups and so does the competition in all candidness.

Edit to add:

That is then regionally balanced.so even less of a pool.

Last edited:
I finally got onto race A last night. Basically did it as a way to get my SR back up to 100% so I was chill about it but it ended up being great way to spend some time. I did one race in the LFA I think and then something like 5 in the M3.

I was mostly starting around 3-6th on the grid, not that it matters as many others didn't even have a QT time. My early "races" I had some good positions only for mr to forget how to drive a couple corners so I had some sections mowing the grass or kissing the barrier. After I got my QT up to a more respectable 1:24 ish (I think) taking 7 second off my prior time which help lead to my best "race" of the night. This was towards the end when I think I finally worked out the couple corners that were giving me grief. Went from 3d on start to 2nd. I was chasing an XJ220 and was on his tail the entire time until the long straight when he pulled away and I was unable to keep up. Caught back up where you slow down at the end, to finish around a second behind. I was pleased. Seems that the M3 out handles the XJ220 but the XJ220 has the legs to pull away on the straights...

So it took 6 or so races but I got my SR back to 100% after being around 30%. It takes a lot longer to gain it back than it did to lose it over two races!

I finally got onto race A last night. Basically did it as a way to get my SR back up to 100% so I was chill about it but it ended up being great way to spend some time. I did one race in the LFA I think and then something like 5 in the M3.

I was mostly starting around 3-6th on the grid, not that it matters as many others didn't even have a QT time. My early "races" I had some good positions only for mr to forget how to drive a couple corners so I had some sections mowing the grass or kissing the barrier. After I got my QT up to a more respectable 1:24 ish (I think) taking 7 second off my prior time which help lead to my best "race" of the night. This was towards the end when I think I finally worked out the couple corners that were giving me grief. Went from 3d on start to 2nd. I was chasing an XJ220 and was on his tail the entire time until the long straight when he pulled away and I was unable to keep up. Caught back up where you slow down at the end, to finish around a second behind. I was pleased. Seems that the M3 out handles the XJ220 but the XJ220 has the legs to pull away on the straights...

So it took 6 or so races but I got my SR back to 100% after being around 30%. It takes a lot longer to gain it back than it did to lose it over two races!
Just do ranked races. As long as you don't quit or hit people it's gonna go up.

I don't understand this mentality sometimes. I race to to race that is it. Sometimes you win sometimes you make contact most of the time you shouldn't but it happens. But SR is really really easy to get, DR is just a reflection of form. SR is how you go about your business.

Don't couple the two. They measure very different things.

Last edited:

I don't understand this mentality sometimes. I race to to race that is it. Sometimes you win sometimes you make contact most of the time you shouldn't but it happens. But SR is really really easy to get, DR is just a reflection of form. SR is how you go about your business.

Don't couple the two. They measure very different things.
Nice thing about recovering SR on an non-DR race is you can just chill in the back and/or drive very passively (ie, someone behind is faster just let them go rather than fight) and not worry about any negative DR implications from doing so.

I don't understand this mentality sometimes. I race to to race that is it.

Race C, was just too hazardous to my health due to the actions of close racing around me. A was more chill but there was still racing involved. However it was also less stressful, which is what I wanted at midnight on a Saturday. Trust me, race B and C late on a Saturday evening can be like The Purge.

Nice thing about recovering SR on an non-DR race is you can just chill in the back and/or drive very passively (ie, someone behind is faster just let them go rather than fight) and not worry about any negative DR implications from doing so.

This.

Maybe it's my view on this is probably juxtaposed so yeah.

Bit not racing because you are so good at racing but don't because it hurts the ratings.

I don't get that as a racer, like I rock up to any race and try my best?

Edit:

I just don't understand why you would spend all that time getting to the top and then not race. Just different mindsets I guess.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know if i'll have time to do anymore races here, we're supposed to get severe weather here tonight, so I may have to wait until tomorrow, maybe if I start around 3am a new set of races will appear. I wonder what we'll get this time?

I've tried my hand at the Nords and honestly I give up trying to get a decent time there, I did get 7'45.687, but that was because I watched one of the top driver's ghost like 15 times in a row.

I use the Mazda and have a 1:30.2 with no assists on.

The key with the assists helping you I think come from 2 things:

Everywhere you feel like you should be exiting in 2nd gear use 3rd instead. The same applies to downshifting to 3rd to help turn in but then back up to 4th.

The car has a huge amount of torque steer even in 3rd you want to be straightening the wheel as much as possible before going full throttle, as the more lock the more the LSD slips which is preciously burning forward acceleration.

So it's primarily the TC that is helping as it's helping a little bit to hide the torque by cutting the power.

The car is inherently stable so I'm not sure why Stability Management or counter steering assist help as you aren't catching rear slides with it.

The only area I think ASM might be helping is with the understeer. I deliberately turn in to hard at the top of the hill and understeer over the curb, but and it's purely driving style preference you might be understeering more than you think and the ASM again is braking the front/rear gently to get the traction back, without ASM you just need to straighten the wheel and get back on the power to get the same effect but without being slowed.

Just some thoughts.
Thanks for the comments. Before I start here, I turned off ASM and CA, and I didn't notice a difference. So the only thing I think that has a semi-positive effect for me is TCS.

Now on to that subject. Your explanation sounds spot-on to me. And that's the problem with using assists like TCS - it allows me to continue to drive in a manner that isn't as efficient. Since I feel more secure on the track, I actually push harder doing the wrong things.

I know this is true for me. I know it. And the things you say - they make total sense intellectually. I just can't seem to implement them on the track. It kind-of reminds me of when I was learning to ski moguls (way back when). The proper way to do it (at least, it was the proper way 40 years ago) is point your head, chest and shoulders down the fall line, and use your hips and knees to move the skis back and forth. But forcing yourself to point your chest and shoulders down the fall line is really had to do... Until one day you do it right, and you finally get it.

I'm hoping that day will come on the track, too.

Bit not racing because you are so good at racing but don't because it hurts the ratings.

Edit:

I just don't understand why you would spend all that time getting to the top and then not race. Just different mindsets I guess.
I totally agree with you. And I see his point also. But like you said, what good is it to be good, then not use it?

Don't know why I have skiing on the brain, but when I got really good at skiing, I basically quit skiing anymore. Very few things were challenging, and the challenging things were pretty dangerous, so it was actually kind of boring.

Edit:

Well, just keep in mind that we are put in lobbies by not only our DR, but SR. And, unfortunately, if you get put into lower SR lobbies it's very difficult to get out of them because o how dirty they are. Not to mention your DR is effected by your SR (I am sure you've heard the term "DR reset"). If your SR gets knocked down, then your DR can too.

Can you understand why one would spend a lot of time getting to a DR certain rating and not want it dropped by a letter or two due to some dirty drivers in a given lobby/race (some combos are rough on SR)? That I can definitely understand. I don't think there is any more reading into it than that. :cheers:

I totally agree with you. And I see his point also. But like you said, what good is it to be good, then not use it?

Don't know why I have skiing on the brain, but when I got really good at skiing, I basically quit skiing anymore. Very few things were challenging, and the challenging things were pretty dangerous, so it was actually kind of boring.
Haven't you admitted you purposely drop your DR A to DR B because you like B lobbies better? :P

Well, just keep in mind that we are put in lobbies by not only our DR, but SR. And, unfortunately, if you get put into lower SR lobbies it's very difficult to get out of them because o how dirty they are. Not to mention your DR is effected by your SR (I am sure you've heard the term "DR reset"). If your SR gets knocked down, then your DR can too.

Can you understand why one would spend a lot of time getting to a DR certain rating and not want it dropped by a letter or two due to some dirty drivers in a given lobby/race (some combos are rough on SR)? That I can definitely understand. I don't think there is any more reading into it than that. :cheers:

Haven't you admitted you purposely drop your DR A to DR B because you like B lobbies better? :P
I do and I don't.

I mean just racing you go up and down. Sometimes it's out of your control but as a top driver I'd assume earning SR and Dr isn't a problem. Its the same dilemma I have as an A driver?

Or like the streamers who are all A+ but they race for 6 hours a day. Because racing....not ratings. Racing.

So I'm torn on your view, personally I feel like you do. But the racer Glen says what does it matter, there are no prices and my wife doesn't care, my daughter says yeay daddy and then goes back to YouTube.

So I might as well do the thing that this is about which is racing. There is no DR or SR in the real world. So just race. Is my moto.

I do and I don't.

I mean just racing you go up and down. Sometimes it's out of your control but as a top driver I'd assume earning SR and Dr isn't a problem. Its the same dilemma I have as an A driver?

Or like the streamers who are all A+ but they race for 6 hours a day. Because racing....not ratings. Racing.

So I'm torn on your view, personally I feel like you do. But the racer Glen says what does it matter, there are no prices and my wife doesn't care, my daughter says yeay daddy and then goes back to YouTube.

So I might as well do the thing that this is about which is racing. There is no DR or SR in the real world. So just race. Is my moto.
Fair enough. No one is wrong here, just different perspectives. Race on! :cheers:

I have to say I did find myself in an ideal DR/SR balance this week... Race C was good for getting into a DR plateau (I managed to basically come out pretty close to net zero gain/loss after a couple of dozen races), but a little more risky to SR thanks to the unpredictability of such close racing, and the strategic and tuning variables which are at play.

Naturally my gameplay loop was to try for ranking at Sardegna, occasionally dipping my feet into Race A, knowing that my DR status will bring decently respectful behaviour and good racing at the Nordschleife and I can earn back any lost SR from Race C, having a mighty fun time while doing so.

It's been a good time for Sport Mode.

My only regret is I'll be going to bed without taking any time to try out a setup on the Genesis like I had planned. Maybe there's a few tenths in it for me... My quali was as fast as I was able on default settings.

@Dep Fishtail - So fun! and so funny, I mentioned not seeing you in dailies over in the tt thread, glad we shared the lobbies. Saw lots of gtpers out this week, glad to see everyone. Some good racing tonight and I'm wrapping the week up in race A. Can we have this for race C, next week, three laps?! Please PD?

That first race I was running P2 (nearly 10secs behind grove!!) but only had a 1.5sec gap on entering the last straight, and I don't know how it was for you, but my 911 would just get swallowed up with that narrow of a gap. Seemed like I needed a minimum 2secs to escape. And usually it was an angry red horde in my mirror. But I stuck with the 911 just because it was so fun ripping up corners with it.

Had quite a few CRBs and usually crb=top 5. Had just as many crashes. both mundane and spectacular; almost always my own fault. A few times I got shoved into a wall, but nearly everyone apologized. I really got a sense most were there for the fun.

@Dep Fishtail - So fun! and so funny, I mentioned not seeing you in dailies over in the tt thread, glad we shared the lobbies. Saw lots of gtpers out this week, glad to see everyone. Some good racing tonight and I'm wrapping the week up in race A. Can we have this for race C, next week, three laps?! Please PD?

That first race I was running P2 (nearly 10secs behind grove!!) but only had a 1.5sec gap on entering the last straight, and I don't know how it was for you, but my 911 would just get swallowed up with that narrow of a gap. Seemed like I needed a minimum 2secs to escape. And usually it was an angry red horde in my mirror. But I stuck with the 911 just because it was so fun ripping up corners with it.

Had quite a few CRBs and usually crb=top 5. Had just as many crashes. both mundane and spectacular; almost always my own fault. A few times I got shoved into a wall, but nearly everyone apologized. I really got a sense most were there for the fun.
Yes! Great getting to do a few of these with you tonight! Been a long time since we’ve been racing together and it was a blast.
Almost tried the LFA again after getting molested in the first race but switched back to the 911 with 30 seconds remaining lol. Was frantic.

Glad I stuck with it because the 911 worked great in the next two.
Thanks for blocking for me to get away on race two because it went well after the escape 🏎️🏎️
Was pretty excited to finish clean from there.

Nice qualifying time for you and @mellofello9 too. I’ll call mine p3 since you were right behind p1 on my list for which I drew a gold cup for the winner 🏆. Well done guys and hope we get more of these soon 😁
Cheers

IMG_6292.jpeg

I thought I’d have one last go of Sardegna before it went and I jumped on and found I had no force feedback. Then tried again, still not FFB. Then rebooted my wheel, still no FFB. Then restarted the game and realized C had changed to next week but A and B were still last week.
IMG_7646.jpeg

Then it dawned what may have happen. The week changed while I was in C and it lost the ability to do FFB, I guess. Weird, anyway I’m never this early, 30 minutes before the switch!

Race C is Gr.4 at Interlagos, So I jumped in and did 2 laps and was 21st fastest in the world!!! 🤣
IMG_7645.jpeg

I figured that wouldn’t last long so a couple more laps and I’d taken another second off but was now 59nd. It was going to drop fast. Saw @Tidgney at #1 with a ghost so chased that. I managed to improve my time and get back to 52nd even though time was dropping.
IMG_7644.jpeg

At that point I checkout out the other races. B, is Deep Forest in Gr.3 on RM. seems that this’ll be the Gen-X vs the GT40. I chose the Ford. No top 100 for me on that. Did get top 200 but does that count when only 782 people had posted times? 🤔
IMG_7643.jpeg

Then looked at race A. Prius at Tokyo. I pressed the “gas pedal” and nothing happened. Then realized the car was accelerating very very slowly. PD is trolling us. The Prius must be one of the most uneventful cars ever made. lol.

Still saying that.
IMG_7642.jpeg

@Dredge_D how’d you find 5 seconds in that lap? Does getting out and pushing the car help? I feel that would be quicker!

Last edited:
Here is my fastest lap so far for the new Race A.

Adding aero and wide wheels helps but the main factor is practice. If I practice for a thousand miles or so I might get close to the current top time.

I thought I’d have one last go of Sardegna before it went and I jumped on and found I had no force feedback. Then tried again, still not FFB. Then rebooted my wheel, still no FFB. Then restarted the game and realized C had changed to next week but A and B were still last week.
View attachment 1312764

Then it dawned what may have happen. The week changed while I was in C and it lost the ability to do FFB, I guess. Weird, anyway I’m never this early, 30 minutes before the switch!

Race C is Gr.4 at Interlagos, So I jumped in and did 2 laps and was 21st fastest in the world!!! 🤣
View attachment 1312765

I figured that wouldn’t last long so a couple more laps and I’d taken another second off but was now 59nd. It was going to drop fast. Saw @Tidgney at #1 with a ghost so chased that. I managed to improve my time and get back to 52nd even though time was dropping.
View attachment 1312766

At that point I checkout out the other races. B, is Deep Forest in Gr.3 on RM. seems that this’ll be the Gen-X vs the GT40. I chose the Ford. No top 100 for me on that. Did get top 200 but does that count when only 782 people had posted times? 🤔
View attachment 1312767

Then looked at race A. Prius at Tokyo. I pressed the “gas pedal” and nothing happened. Then realized the car was accelerating very very slowly. PD is trolling us. The Prius must be one of the most uneventful cars ever made. lol.

Still saying that.
View attachment 1312768

@Dredge_D how’d you find 5 seconds in that lap? Does getting out and pushing the car help? I feel that would be quicker!
I’m sticking my legs through the floor and running, Fred Flintstone style!

It really is an incredibly uninspiring car to drive.

Ugh, Tokyo Central, watch out, it'll be a barrier collision fest, I used to get a lot of penalties when doing them in GTS, in the Audi car back in Summer 2022.

Back