GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 37,057 comments
I'm currently working on testing all the Gr.4 cars in anticipation of the next season of the Manufacturers Cup. I've been able to get an optimal lap time of 1:38.670 out of the McLaren over 3 laps, but was faster in the V8 Vantage (1:38.476), Silvia spec-R Aero (S15) Touring Car (1:38.487), SLS AMG (1:38.563), and NSX (1:38.575). You might want to give one of those a try.

Here are my results, for anyone who's interested:
FYI, I've finished up my testing on the Gr.4 cars at Interlagos and have updated the table on my earlier post. Follow the link in the quote above to see the full list.

As a side note, for all my tests I was using the ghosts from some of the top-100 drivers to help with consistency. After I finished with the last car, I decided to do a few laps with one of the faster cars to see if I could improve on my qualifying time. I didn't use the ghost. Wow. That was a humbling experience. I was horrible! With the ghost I was consistently lapping in the high 1:38s. Without it, I was struggling to hit the low 1:40s. If you've ever wondered why some drivers' race pace is so much slower than their qualifying time -- as I believe this has been the subject of some discussion here before -- maybe they have been doing all their qualifying with ghosts.

Anyways, on to testing Gr.3 cars at Deep Forest. I'll post the results here when I'm done.

After last weeks race A, and after running some laps at Interlagos, I discovered that somewhere along the way here I've lost my taste for Gr.4's. The tuned road cars were faster and WAY more fun to drive. The Gr.4's almost feel like a penalty box now...maybe I gotta spend some more time in 'em again but just not feelin' it at the moment. Haven't even bothered to qualify there.

Deep Forest, on the other hand, that's just fun waitin' to happen. By the time I was done disappointing myself at 'Lagos, seat time with a familiar friend (911) was just what the doctor ordered. Only did a couple laps so I still feel like I'm coming to a complete stop, using my turn signal and looking both ways before proceeding at that last hairpin, though. Hopefully I can smooth that out. 🤣

Good luck out there!:cheers:

Last edited:
I didn't use the ghost. Wow. That was a humbling experience. I was horrible! With the ghost I was consistently lapping in the high 1:38s. Without it, I was struggling to hit the low 1:40s. If you've ever wondered why some drivers' race pace is so much slower than their qualifying time -- as I believe this has been the subject of some discussion here before -- maybe they have been doing all their qualifying with ghosts

Yeah, chasing rabbits is much easier than being the rabbit.

I chase the rabbit 🐇 for QT but run without for warm up. I’m trying to do more QT without but it’s hard.

Chasing the rabbit 🐇 is such a drug. 🤔

After last weeks race A, and after running some laps at Interlagos, I discovered that somewhere along the way here I've lost my taste for Gr.4's. The tuned road cars were faster and WAY more fun to drive. The Gr.4's almost feel like a penalty box now...maybe I gotta spend some more time in 'em again but just not feelin' it at the moment. Haven't even bothered to qualify there.

Deep Forest, on the other hand, that's just fun waitin' to happen. By the time I was done disappointing myself at 'Lagos, seat time with a familiar friend (911) was just what the doctor ordered. Only did a couple laps so I still feel like I'm coming to a complete stop, using my turn signal and looking both ways before proceeding at that last hairpin, though. Hopefully I can smooth that out. 🤣

This is the crucial point about road cars (especially modded) versus Gr cars. NO Gr3/4 is as fun to drive on a wheel as that tweaked NSX we had on those races.

After the physics updates in particular, all the Gr3/4 cars (at least the meta ones) all feel like you're driving on rails.

This is why I'd love a preset proper muscle race for B or C, giving people cars that are animals to drive would be chaos but brilliant.

It's a phase they're current-ly in.
Maybe the voltz-wagon has broken again?

Edit:

Am I missing a trick with this Ford GT apart from the S bends (2&3) how is everyone faster through the rest?

I appreciate I'm following a top ghost but after watching their laps multiple times and 400 miles chasing them I just don't understand where my time loss is coming from.

Last edited:
I am convinced someone put a curse on my main account a while ago!

First, after months of aiming for the top and being close to going to A+ DR (around 80% completion) I end up with a B-rating from being nukes a million times!

Second, I actually start making up places in races but still lose DR (which has been explained to me here) but still sucks!

And now, I finally break into the 1:37's at Indianapolis Race C and start in P2 feeling optimiistic...

Lap 2 - I get pushed out of my position as if I am not there.

Lap 2 to Lap 6 - I have to make due having to out-smart P4 behind me as he tries to hit me off every chance he gets. He finally sends himself into the gravel right before I head into the pits.

Lap 6 HALF WAY INTO THE PIT LANE - P2 decides to PARK HIS CAR IN THE PITS AND BLOCK THE LANE! Nothing I can do and we touch right before the cut-scene! I take a deep breathe only to get winded by PD - 4 second penalty for me!!!!

P9 - After climbing back up to P9 from being down to P14 after the penalty, I catch up to P8, 7, 6 and 5 and I am thinking I can still salvage something! Some close racing and thought the ones in front of my are making contact, with me right on both their bumpers, I avoid anything but small taps here and there.

Final lap - I am now in P7 and with a chance of a P5 finish as the same 2 from before are still fighting hard, literally. Half way through sector 2, P8 behind me, who already had made a lot of contact with other and myself earlier, decides to just push me aside to take my place at turn 8!

He then out-brakes himself into turn 9 (8, 9 and 10 are the U-turn before the tight right heading into last sector) so I repay the favour in turn 10. I didn't shove him, but I did close the door when I went past on the inside. We touched, barely! Of course, this is unacceptable for him so he rams me at full speed at turn 11 and I fall down to P12 heading into the straight, with him in front!!!

Thankfully, he was served with a 5s penalty so I went passed and also managed to snatch P10 right before the finish line as someone else was going slow after serving a pen.

I hate this game sometimes!

PD - I got the hint, back to tormenting newbies on my 3rd account then, since the only decent race I can have is when everyone else is a lap behind me...

6 races, 4 poles, 4 wins, 2 P2 finishes and 4 fastest laps. Nice to feel like I actually can drive :P

Attachments

• Dec20RaceC.jpeg
    Dec20RaceC.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 10
PD - I got the hint, back to tormenting newbies on my 3rd account then, since the only decent race I can have is when everyone else is a lap behind me...

6 races, 4 poles, 4 wins, 2 P2 finishes and 4 fastest laps. Nice to feel like I actually can drive :P
Today has made me want to go back to my "learning account" again as well!

Am I missing a trick with this Ford GT apart from the S bends (2&3) how is everyone faster through the rest?

I appreciate I'm following a top ghost but after watching their laps multiple times and 400 miles chasing them I just don't understand where my time loss is coming from.
The Ford can be a handful in the bends. For me, I set it with TCS2 to ensure I don't power steer into a barrier. TCS1 doesn't quite cut it and I've figured for my level the fractional slower acceleration, when it does kick in, is more than worth it versus losing a huge chunk of time in a wipe out. What this does is allow you to be a it more aggressive in the S bends. My third lap of the video I posted was my best of the race with a 1:29 ish time. The car flowed through the turns with a slight drift as you shifted weight from left to right to left. It felt good. Last lap was similar but I lost time in the defensive move at the hairpin in the end. The car also does well using a V approach to the hairpins with massive braking in and dumping the torque coming out.

Best strategy is over take on the straights and out brake, then slow them up in the twisty stuff.

Then again, I'm a pleb, what do I know?

EDIT: corrected some facts I remembered incorrectly.

Last edited:
The Ford can be a handful in the bends. For me, I set it with TCS2 to ensure I don't power steer into a barrier. TCS1 doesn't quite cut it and I've figured for my level the fractional slower acceleration, when it does kick in, is more than worth it versus losing a huge chunk of time in a wipe out. What this does is allow you to be a it more aggressive in the S bends. My last lap of the video I posted was my best of the race with a 1:28 ish time. The car flowed through the turns with a slight drift as you shifted weight from left to right to left. It felt good. I lost time in the defensive move at the hairpin in the end but the car also does well using a V approach to the hairpins with massive braking in and dumping the torque coming out.

Best strategy is over take on the straights and out brake, then slow them up in the twisty stuff.

Then again, I'm a pleb, what do I know?
I am going to take this advice and run with it, the porker just isn't fast enough on the straight to hold its own with a determined push to pass hole. You can put brake or hold more speed everywhere but that meta top speed is hard to fight on the 2 big straights.

Now if we had last weeks custom slip....no that's a bad idea shut up Glen don't give PD ideas!

Yeah a long race race at Brazil in gr4 is never going to be fun!

Yeah a long race race at Brazil in gr4 is never going to be fun!
The way you have to drive the cars shows a lot about the way they think about racing.

Firstly, and I'm getting on my soap box. No team in the world would say "just half shift constantly" they would change the ratios!

Secondly a mandatory drive through....sure you can change tires but yeah, no. For those that don't it must be painful watching 2 long pit animations....

Ah then there is the way penalties work and where they work. Nothing to say other than could be better. I do love how every penalty is neatly rounded to half seconds, makes it feel so frustrating and impersonal and yet unfair at the same time!

Today has made me want to go back to my "learning account" again as well!
Hate to quote myself but theory confirmed!

So as it now happens, my 2nd account is rated HIGHER than my main account. Since I am a donkey who likes punishment, I wanted another race but also wanted to test my theory - cursed main account... I was right!

I started P13 as I had no time to put in a qualy lap. What happened next is a testament to how big of a curse I have on my main! Clean race, epic racing, consistent laps, great overtakes and defending.

P5 finish and just 6s off the winner! From the friggin bottom of the pack!??!

See?!?!?! This is bull-poop!!!!! I am happy but also fuming!

Oh, and I also just went almost 0.2s faster on 2nd account after just 3 laps to drop to a 1:37:8... lol

1703102687072.jpeg

1703102696505.jpeg

Hate to quote myself but theory confirmed!

So as it now happens, my 2nd account is rated HIGHER than my main account. Since I am a donkey who likes punishment, I wanted another race but also wanted to test my theory - cursed main account... I was right!

I started P13 as I had no time to put in a qualy lap. What happened next is a testament to how big of a curse I have on my main! Clean race, epic racing, consistent laps, great overtakes and defending.

P5 finish and just 6s off the winner! From the friggin bottom of the pack!??!

See?!?!?! This is bull-poop!!!!! I am happy but also fuming!

Oh, and I also just went almost 0.2s faster on 2nd account after just 3 laps to drop to a 1:37:8... lol

View attachment 1313308

View attachment 1313309

Hmmm it makes me ask a question about how I can bring 4 wins home in a Cusp B/A lobby and then I'm in a lobby with the top 40 in the world who are fast, like seriously fast. I'd love to talk about there race craft but their race time was faster than my QT so I will get in my box on that as I never saw them. And that is 1200th in the world lol. I only say the position as it's more immutable than the time and is easier to understand.

Be careful thou @TechnoIsLove woth these second accounts, is that we reach our natural levels quicker but it slows right up when you hit your level again.

Be careful thou @TechnoIsLove woth these second accounts, is that we reach our natural levels quicker but it slows right up when you hit your level again.
I think my GB account will always be lower. That's because I race it at weird hours Euro time that puts be in lobbies with a lot of Eastern Europeans that have, let me say, a different race craft approach than others LOL. Saying that, I've been in some fantastic races and many terrible ones as well..

I think my GB account will always be lower. That's because I race it at weird hours Euro time that puts be in lobbies with a lot of Eastern Europeans that have, let me say, a different race craft approach than others LOL. Saying that, I've been in some fantastic races and many terrible ones as well..
We all understand that, and I can be less diplomatic and say racing in A lobbies with UK and European mix the occasional ME peeps and SA peeps. (The latter 2 being the cleaner and faster anecdotally btw)

The races are thirsty, and it reminds me what A actually means. It means awareness, yup have that, it means you can recover from most "ambitious" situations and it means you can drive cleanly inside or outside of someone.

Expectations for results in A lobbies need to be mitred a bit, the racing is tough I an A lobby which represents before regional splitting the top x in the world.

In the top B and A lobbies a couple of thousands moves you maybe a place, a 1/10th would move you 20 places....but then race pace etc.

And these guys are racers with caveats, I've been unfortunate enough to race out of my normal times.

Streamer hour is impossible. They are fast, like seriously fast.

Mid afternoon, better lobbies less top guys playing I the EU, after school, my fav lobbies if I'm at the front. The worst if I'm not.

Early evening. Mixed. A lot of one lap dads/heroes want a go. Kill everyone and quit till next week while moaning about people braking for corners with cars in front of them..

Mid evening, fairly fun can be a bit dicey but I'm usually 5 beers in by this point so more relaxed about things.

Late evening, interesting. Sometimes it echos the early morning crowd who
Just are fast and want clean racing, positions are like "yeah, but dude I almost had you" and that's fun.

Other times there is always a few guys that left the iron on and need to get home.

Overall it's just mixed ability racing that tries to bucket us but sometimes it can't so we just gotta live through it :)

Edit to add:

In top B and A lobbies the qualifying split is reduced significantly to people as fast as you.

Last edited:
Usually if I hit the Euro lobby it is because it is getting late on a Friday/Saturday night and I don't like the way the US lobbies are playing out so I catch the early morning crowd. So 11pm for me is like 5am UK, 6am EU and so on so obviously I tend to hit up more eastern players where it is later; definitely get a bunch of Scandinavians . Hadn't thought about it before but middle eastern and South African makes sense as well. I really need to brush up knowledge on my flags to figure out where peeps are from...

The other times is when I want to try a combo but I am not sure about it so I don't care about my rating. I may try the Mazda 3 at Interlagos to be the odd one out in a sea of 650S and 458s, just to give it another go after all the practice I put in..

Last edited:
I pretty much race when I can. It was Wed and Fri from early afternoon to varying evening end times but that has since changed. Sat and Sun is still early morning running for a couple hours.

I can say with confidence that the driving 'quality' seems to carry a natural downward curve from morning to night. Once you have those metrics loaded into your report, you can also superimpose a graph of the 'quality' decay as you progress through the week. From that you can probably find a line graph with anomaly detection enabled to highlight that the hours of 11:30 PM - 2:00 AM EST are an absolute hellscape to step into on the US servers. No idea what it's like elsewhere as I've but one, US-based account. Typical American, I know.😁

Apologies, in the middle of a PowerBI cert course and came here to rest the brain...some of that class is sticking to me. 🤣

:cheers:

Last edited:
Back