GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,395 comments
I've run two races at Daily Race B, and both races I screwed myself by going off into the sand. Before the end of lap 1 - both times. It's hard to develop much enthusiasm for this week's race when I suck so much.

I'm only posting this in case anyone thinks I dropped off the face of the earth.

EDIT: @newmedia_dev - Looks like we're of like minds regarding this week.
We are in the same place with this week. They don't suit me. And that is ok. Not gonna push a QT this week and already gold on the TTs and that is also fine, I have life stuff this week so it's all good if not a bit meh race wise.

For the first time ever, I’m using TC.

At Laguna in the RSR it helps me get on the throttle with more confidence (especially on those godawful RHs). I’m still competitive with it in B/S lobbies.

As Womble argued in a recent video, it’s not clear that it’s slower in GT7 unlike GTS. I started on TC3. If I use 2 I can just feel the back end step out on exit.

A few of the top split guys use TC1 in some of the sketchier cars - something worth noting.

Some of the sketchier cars can benefit from it, as it'll save your bacon on a bad exit but at that level of TCS, it won't hinder good exits.
I often wonder if some of the top replays are controller or using assists when they don't post a replay!

It doesn't matter to me but it is interesting know as for the first lap at some races I will use TC1 especially if I'm at the sharper end of things.

So. Ahem. I found the secret of getting a win at Laguna:

1705440562836.png

1. Stay out of the friggin' sand, even if you have to take certain corners like your grandmother is in the car.

2. Have the guy in front NOT pay attention to rule #1:

1705440698534.png

3. Then have P1 make a pit stop:

1705440758878.png

How did he manage that? He lost it coming up to the final hairpin, which had him sliding into the pit lane:

1705440828697.png

And yes, that's quite a ways down that straight to lose it, but he actually lost it at the prior corner, and scrambled like hell to save it, but just couldn't do it (we've all been there).

So I'm out the door to buy a lottery ticket. :lol:

WTH?! Started P8 on main account and drove the 650S since short-shifting would be good for fuel economy. I was P5 and half-way through the final lap and 2 seconds ahead of P6, on fuel map 2 I had 0.8laps in the tank.

Not joking, without doing anything different, my fuel went from 0.8 to 0.1 laps within 5 seconds and of course, half-way through the straight (already running on map 6 and coasting as much as possible) I run out of fuel and freeroll to the finish line in P9!!?!?!?!

RIGGED ~voodoo ⚰️ 😭

For the first time ever, I’m using TC.

At Laguna in the RSR it helps me get on the throttle with more confidence (especially on those godawful RHs). I’m still competitive with it in B/S lobbies.

As Womble argued in a recent video, it’s not clear that it’s slower in GT7 unlike GTS. I started on TC3. If I use 2 I can just feel the back end step out on exit.
TCS 1 does not hinder performance in any way in my experience but provides a safety net for those time where you can be over exuberant with the throttle. In fact, I am usually faster with it on as I can be a bit more aggressive on the throttle. In fact, currently my race B performance is with TCS 1 and counter steer and I am competitive with mid As even lower A+ this week.

A few of the top split guys use TC1 in some of the sketchier cars - something worth noting.

Some of the sketchier cars can benefit from it, as it'll save your bacon on a bad exit but at that level of TCS, it won't hinder good exits.
Couldn't agree more. I use it on some rear loose cars, like the Gr3 Genesis and Mazda RX-V.

It takes a fair bit to get TC1 to kick so I'll use it as a belt and suspenders thing at times, especially in high tire wear races. Way back when, TC1 used to be very intrusive; but since one of the updates, it just hangs out just in case it's needed, like on the aforementioned cars.

I didn't get a chance to practice at Laguna Seca yesterday as I had to dig out my car and driveway after a huge snow storm that hit my area. That storm pushed back the Buffalo Bills playoff game and I'm not missing that so I watched that instead. I got a chance to turn some laps today and I have no pace at Laguna Seca so far. Every car I've tried I just cannot find anything anywhere. Probably won't jump in any races based on that but I'll still see if I can't improve my time.

TCS 1 does not hinder performance in any way in my experience but provides a safety net for those time where you can be over exuberant with the throttle. In fact, I am usually faster with it on as I can be a bit more aggressive on the throttle. In fact, currently my race B performance is with TCS 1 and counter steer and I am competitive with mid As even lower A+ this week.
Agree, my question is whether TC 2 or 3 is slowing me down? Gonna experiment this week.

When I initially practiced in the RSR on RHs w/no TC, I was looping the car on the exit of the first infield right-hander (after Andretti).

I’d recommend Womble’s video on this, though I do wonder how much TC1 is saving the car from spinning? That is, if it’s minimal enough of an intervention to not make you slower is it cutting the throttle enough to help? I get a bit of throttle oversteer on TC2, but not 3 so there is a difference (as you’d expect).

Edit - I can see there’s already been a discussion about the efficacy of TC1.

Last edited:
For myself it's simple i try , and if faster with TC on i do , if without i take it off.
In race most of the time i am on 1 , not only for me but also for my camarad racer .

Last edited:
Decided to have a quick run at Race C tonight. Qualified after 10 laps or so on 1:56.232 in the Ferrari which put me fourth on the grid. Decided to start on RH and then switch to RM at the end of lap 1… held 4th place for the first lap, avoided a pit entry penalty and it was all going to plan until I got trigger happy in the pits and selected RH instead 🤦‍♂️ :lol: - ran on my own for the rest of the race to finish 11th. Turns out RH/RH is not the way!

Hey, hey, fellow racers! I wanted to wish you all nothing but good results and full throttle whenever possible. Currently, I'm taking a break from Sport for this week (it has nothing to do with the fact that we have races with specific settings). Perhaps I'll spend another week on the sidelines. I'm currently not feeling inspired to pursue perfection, hence the withdrawal. Aspirations for A rank are still there - in GT Sport, I achieved A, but under a different PSN. Sometimes, however, you need to give your mind a break, especially since I'm deeply involved in the craft of Sport and don't allow room for errors. Sometimes fatigue sets in, and I need a moment to reset. I'll be back around Bathurst 12H, at the latest during the presentations of the new F1 cars.

In the meantime, you can catch me in lobbies, where I'll be casually having fun.

Before someone says I don't have to explain myself - indeed, I don't. I'm writing this voluntarily, out of respect for you. It doesn't matter who you are; in the end, you all compete on the tracks of Gran Turismo. Just like me. For over 20 years.

Full throttle! We'll stay in touch. 🏁

Having a good time with race B! Whats killing me is turn 6. I’m great at it in the qualify time trial… but once the race starts I always get a lil bit nervous fully committing, which cost me time.
Join the crowd. The only thing I can think is the added weight from the full fuel tank makes a big difference on that corner. Of course, for the first lap, the tires may not be warmed up, but my experience has been that even in the later laps, that corner is treacherous. So for now, I live with losing time there - it's way better than gravel/sand.

Race C is totally ruined by not having at least a mandatory stop. Complete nonsense having all the race options and then everyone just ignores them because they make no sense. There went absolutely no effort or thought into making this race.

I just find it kinda boring. I am doing weird strategies like no fuel saving and starting on mediums just to make it more interesting, even if I just finish in the mid field in the end. Who cares. Anything to make it more entertaining. I just wished they would make different strategies a bit more viable.

Last edited:
Race C is totally ruined by not having at least a mandatory stop. Complete nonsense having all the race options and then everyone just ignores them because they make no sense. There went absolutely no effort or thought into making this race.

I just find it kinda boring. I am doing weird strategies like no fuel saving and starting on mediums just to make it more interesting, even if I just finish in the mid field in the end. Who cares. Anything to make it more entertaining. I just wished they would make different strategies a bit more viable.
I agree and I don't like the format of these GR4 fuel savers to be honest.

I don't even think it's a race tyre compound issue either. It's that the races are made to slot the time hoppers. Not "what would be a good race" and dial it back from there.

In terms of the strategy, fuel saving is a strat and has been for a long time (I dislike doing it but love watching it in endurance racing weirdly)

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, PD have the data they know how players race and embarrassingly a lot of even this hardcore forum has forgotten mandatory rules for tyres or stops etc...so my guess is they keep it pick up and play ish for game design/fun reasons and also accessibility.

Imagine a scenario, where you got the game for Xmas, it took nearly a month to unlock sports mode, then you have abomination A as you're first intro to sport mode, you go to Laguna in GR3 and figure out this is a bit hard vs the AI I was playing and then you have the 20mins of GV in reverse in slightly slower cars and you run out of fuel....this is not the sort of races I'd thought PD would put in the January race schedule.

I'd imagine more bread and butter cup style races. Like brands in Gr4 as B and Atlanta in GR3 with A being a cup'esque car month where it rotated clios and say GT86s/BRZ to walk people in to racing online. But no we have a super car on budget tyres as your first foray in to racing :/

Edit:

But rather than create feeder races (which pulled me back, Clio, and scirrocos in A) they make these weird TT based races :/

Last edited:
Agree, my question is whether TC 2 or 3 is slowing me down?
TCS 1 is very different from TCS 2 & 3.
TCS 1 only work when you're going straight. It will move the power from side to side to get forward bite.
TCS 2 & 3 do that too, but they also will retard your throttle to prevent loss of grip in the turns.
Anything above TCS 1 will brake your engine your engine in some situations.

For an idiot like me who uses the X button for throttle, TSC 2 or 3 is necessary to avoid spinning out in just about any car over 300 hp.

TCS 1 is very different from TCS 2 & 3.
TCS 1 only work when you're going straight. It will move the power from side to side to get forward bite.
TCS 2 & 3 do that too, but they also will retard your throttle to prevent loss of grip in the turns.
Anything above TCS 1 will brake your engine your engine in some situations.

For an idiot like me who uses the X button for throttle, TSC 2 or 3 is necessary to avoid spinning out in just about any car over 300 hp.
You're not an idiot. You're a being of light. We all are.

Maybe try changing your controller configuration to use a button with a gradual range instead of a 0-1 type. For example, use R2 as the accelerator, or (which I highly recommend) the right analog stick. Tilt forward for acceleration and backward for braking. I played like that once on a controller, and I can tell you that you can develop very good precision and compete at a high level with TCS set to a maximum of 1."

All of the control schemes are viable with the right configurations of assists.

Controller buttons: for fun just drive and have fun.

Controller sticks: I'm to old to understand that level of fidelity in mm

Controller triggers: use what you need to be safe, consistent. Fast will come over time.

Controller motion control: errrr not my thing, tried it with Mario kart... not for me but others make it work. It is awkward to rotate, balance throttle or brake like that though.

Wheel: this is an interesting one....it's the fastest but most expensive peripheral but a lot of people struggle with it.

The aim with a wheel is to give you fidelity in all the major inputs and that takes time to develop. For almost every new wheel user I'd guarantee they are braking too late and not turning fast enough.

But to the point of TC, the reason I don't use it is because I'm more gentle on the throttle and straighten the car up before I hammer the throttle.

I think this is device agnostic. Go slower to go faster, brake smoothly (or staged with buttons, you get a lot of help with that)

And accelerate cleanly. A single, press, pull or push and you'll get quicker and not need as much TC.

But the most important thing is watch your own replays for when that light flashes. I'd almost bet my house is in the last part of corner exit, this is where manual short shifting helps a lot!

Ultimately with whatever control or assists you use, focus on smooth consistent laps not lap time. Just get in to a race length rhythm and go with it.

Inspired by @Childe Roland ’s post on the Nissan GTR setup, I decided to give it a go. It does require a unique driving style (Basically nothing like mine) to “tame”. Did around 20 laps in total with a best lap of 1:22.116, Opt. 1:21.996.

Is it quick? Yes and I reckon there is at least a few tenth that I can shave off. Is it fun to drive? Hell no (at least on my skill level).

My last 9 laps with the Godzilla. As you can see my lap times are all over the place.

IMG-7225.jpg

Then this is the best lap. A very messy lap in fact.

Last edited:
A tuning question - using the RSR in B this week (it’s not the fastest car but I’m used to it).

Trying to dial out the understeer in corner entry by making the front softer and the rear stiffer. So have lowered the numbers on front anti-roll bar, compression, and frequency, and raised the rear numbers. Seems to help!

But what about expansion? I left it alone because I’m thinking softer at front means more lift on corner exit and thus maybe more understeer. Or am I wrong here?

A tuning question - using the RSR in B this week (it’s not the fastest car but I’m used to it).

Trying to dial out the understeer in corner entry by making the front softer and the rear stiffer. So have lowered the numbers on front anti-roll bar, compression, and frequency, and raised the rear numbers. Seems to help!

But what about expansion? I left it alone because I’m thinking softer at front means more lift on corner exit and thus maybe more understeer. Or am I wrong here?
My go to for expansion is usually around 10-12 higher than compression but some cars like drastically different numbers like +20 or +25. Generally I look at it from the rear first, after the wheels have compressed, how quickly do you want the suspension to extend? A lower DRE will push the back wheels back into ground pushing the front end in if the car pivots around the middle. You don't want it too fast (low DRE values) or the car will get unbalanced and skittish and not too slow (high DRE values) either leaving the wheels in the air. Generally being slower is safer/better than too fast. For a rear biased car like the RSR I would probably have a lighter setting so around the +12 range over DRC as opposed to being in the 40s or 50s. Then I would work the front to see how that is balanced and for grip.

I haven't done any RSR tunes since we got into tuning so I've no idea how this might work with that car but that is how I approach this at least.

Try making the front softer but lowering the damper expansion on the front and upping the natural frequency.

Stiffer is not better, you want progressive grip and grip loss.

The other option is to deliberately use the understeer to get corner bite. If you are really aggressive you can use the understeer for more grip. It's a technique I use with the Mazda 3 and the GTR

Latest Posts

Back